Start by marking “The Summer Children (The Collector, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Summer Children (The Collector, #3)

The Summer Children

(The Collector #3)

4.26  ·  Rating details ·  16,520 ratings  ·  1,229 reviews
This FBI agent has come to expect almost anything—just not this…

When Agent Mercedes Ramirez finds an abused young boy on her porch, covered in blood and clutching a teddy bear, she has no idea that this is just the beginning. He tells her a chilling tale: an angel killed his parents and then brought him here so Mercedes could keep him safe.

His parents weren’t just murdered
Published May 22nd 2018 by Thomas & Mercer

To ask other readers questions about The Summer Children, please sign up.
Anne I think there is a huge tie-in to The Butterfly Garden as the survivors--who are now mostly adults--speak often to the agents who saved them and we wi…moreI think there is a huge tie-in to The Butterfly Garden as the survivors--who are now mostly adults--speak often to the agents who saved them and we witness the slow process of their healing. Even though they are "secondary" characters, the plot wouldn't be complete without them!(less)

·  16,520 ratings  ·  1,229 reviews

Start your review of The Summer Children (The Collector, #3)
Mary Beth
Jul 06, 2018 rated it really liked it

F.B.I Agent Mercedes Ramirez arrived at her home and finds a child on her front doorstep, covered in blood, holding a teddy bear. He tells her that an angel brought him to her, so that she can keep him safe. Agent Ramirez works for The Crimes Against Children. The angel murders parents that abuse their children, then drops them off at Mercedes door. Lots of children are being dropped off, one at a time. They are all traumatized.

This is the third book in The Collector Series. Out of the whole se
BernLuvsBooks
May 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019, adult-reads
A compelling and emotional thriller!

This book took a positive turn for me after book 2. I really enjoyed Mercedes' POV - she's such a strong character. Dot Hutchinson breathes so much life and emotion into her characters. You can't help but get caught up in the case right along with them.

*The storyline was graphic and involved children who suffered abuse and/or neglect at the hands of their parents which isn't easy to read about so it's definitely important to go in knowing that for sensitive
Kylie D
May 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Another very good book from Dot Hutchison. It sees FBI Agent Mercedes Ramirez coming home to find a bloody child on her front porch, the victim of child abuse. Over the coming weeks more and more children turn up on the porch, while their parents end up dead. But who is the vigilante? It dregs up all sorts of memories for Mercedes, ones that she would have rather forgotten, and she finds her self questioning her motivations. I didn't find this book quite as powerful as the first two books in the ...more
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
#1 The Butterfly Garden ★★★★★
#2 Roses of May ★★★★☆
#3 The Summer Children ★★★★★

I have positively adored this entire trilogy so much, and this was the perfect conclusion, even if I am sad to see it draw to a close. While the books do not follow the exact same plot line and probably could be read as stand-alones if you so desired, I do strongly recommend reading them in their publication order!

Once upon a time, there was a little girl who was afraid of change. She went out bravely into the wor
Mackey
The Summer Children is the third in The Collector’s Series by Hutchison, the most popular, of course, being the first one: The Butterfly Garden. This is one of those rare books for me that crossed genres of horror, thriller, police procedural and simply great fiction primarily due to the incredible writing skills of Hutchison. Admittedly, I have not read either of the two other books in the series so I have nothing against which to compare this book as others have done and are doing. This book, ...more
Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice*
EXCERPT: Once upon a time, there was a little girl who was scared of the dark.

Which was silly, even she knew that. There was nothing in the dark to hurt you that wasn't also in the light. You just couldn't see it coming.

ABOUT THIS BOOK: This FBI agent has come to expect almost anything—just not this…

Jane
Well now, The Summer Children was a really happy surprise for me! I'm one of those huge fans of The Butterfly Garden who felt a bit let down by Roses of May, so I went into this book hoping for the best but with tempered expectations. I don't know if that tempering helped me have the right perspective for this one or not, but the end result is that I really enjoyed this book!

To be clear, if you're hoping for more of the creepiness that was The Butterfly Garden, you're not going to find it here a
Marialyce (absltmom, yaya)
May 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: net-galley
3.5 hard to read stars

Can there be a harder job than having to be and FBI agent whose unit is in charge of crimes against children, especially involving sexual crimes? This must be an absolutely heart breaking task and I am pretty sure the burn out rate must be high. We wonder how anyone can possibly hurt children and it is even more gruesome when the pervert is a parent or a relative.

In this third outing we meet with Mercedes Ramiriez, an agent, who herself has come from a troubled past. She un
Jess☺️
Nov 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The summer children by Dot Hutchison is the third in the collector series and it is for me probably the best one with the butterfly garden coming second the rose of may last.
It's kind of haunting and harrowing all at the same time when you read the tiny snippets of the childrens life history of physical abuse which is enough to make you brain work over time and your anger start to fizz.
I like the quirky little family the detective's have made with each other and with a few of the girls from the
Dennis
The Summer Children is the final arc of Dot Hutchison's The Collector Trilogy, tying up odds and ends for police team Ramirez and Eddison (I love calling police officers by their last name, sorry Law and Order: SVU has forever changed me). The Summer Children dives more into the life of Agent Mercedes Ramirez, especially when children begin to show up at her doorstep, confiding in her chilling details about this Angel who has single-handedly murdered their parents. To make matters worse, ...more
Fiona
Updated from re-read, prior to reading review copy of number 4. I love this series, it's genuinely close to my heart. But as much as I love books one and two, this was the book that made me feel like this could really be a long term series, that the magic wasn't going to wear off, and that it wasn't just the agents who had managed to find a home and a family that they could finally rely on.
Yep, this is the book where it crossed the border into "worryingly emotional attachment" and I am just fin
Rachel
Well. All I have to say about Dot Hutchison's Collector series is: nothing gold can stay.

Dark, twisted, and gripping, I thought The Butterfly Garden was altogether pretty brilliant. But Hutchison's followup novel, Roses of May, provided a starling (and in my opinion, utterly grating) tonal shift, abandoning a lot of the creepiness of the first novel and coming across as ultimately rather juvenile. I was hoping The Summer Children might bounce back and show a hint of The Butterfly Garden's great
MissBecka Gee
May 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to MissBecka by: Jane
GAH!!! These books are so freaking good!!!
I love all the characters so much and am so freaking excited to spend more time with them in the next book!!!
Kristie
Apr 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This story once again returns us to Brandon Eddison, Victor Hanoverian, and Mercedes Ramirez. We also hear from our butterflies, Inara and Bliss. Priya Sravasti is still in contact and our favorite agent from Priya's case, Eliza Sterling, has moved over to Virginia to join our team too. We also get to meet a few new agents, including a friend of Mercedes that she was in training with and I'm hoping to see more of her in future books. As you can see, there are a lot of strong women included in th ...more
mina
May 16, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2019
↠3+

Summer Children is a combination of her previous two books, The butterfly garden (where we follow a difficult story) and Roses of May (where the story is more revolving around the characters). There’s not a long list of things I don’t feel comfortable reading, but in this book there are two present and those are child molestation and incest. If its done right I can stomach it however here it didn’t feel like that, it took me a few days to finish the book because I felt highly
Karima chermiti
#1 : The Butterfly Garden (The Collector #1) : 3 stars
#2 : Roses of May (The Collector, #2) : 4 stars

This book is so good that I’m now more in love with the first and second book and able to appreciate them more than I did in the past just because this book made me realize something deeper and more genuine about this series and opened my eyes on the incredible talent that is Dot Hutchison.

Scars mean we survived something, even when the wounds still hurt

If you’re someone who’s fami
Jun 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
4 - 4.5 stars

Dot Hutchinson has fully redeemed herself in the final book of the Collector Series, The Summer Children. I was fully captivated by The Butterfly Garden (review can be here: www.goodreads.com/review/show/1650757015) and I couldn’t get enough. So when Roses of May came out, I was beyond excited. While RoM was enjoyable, it just didn’t have the same “grip” factor. Review here: www.goodreads.com/review/show/1981148514

With all of that being said, The Summer Children had me hook, line an
Rohit Enghakat
The book cover was beautiful. I picked it up the book from Net Galley when I found the average rating which was well above 4. I had huge expectations from the book but somewhere I could not connect with the characters.

This is about FBI agent Mercedes Ramirez working in the Crimes Against Children Dept who finds herself investigating murders when children are dropped at her home after being rescued from their abusive homes. She is aided by her colleagues Eddison, Vic and Sterling who, I guess, ma
BAM Endlessly Booked
Netgalley #62

Many thanks go to Dot Hutchinson, Thomas and Mercer, and Netgalley for the free copy of this book in exchange for my unbiased review.

Each Collecter Series book has a different POV. The Summer Children is expressed from Detective Mercedes Ramirez's eyes. Children are being left on her front porch-bloody and with teddy bears. Their parents are being killed in front of them. Who's doing the killing but sparing the children and why?
I've enjoyed every book in this series. Hutchinson is o
Colleen
5 Stars

**My #4 best read of 2018**

ARC provided by Thomas & Mercer via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

Dot Hutchison has done it again! I was enthralled from the first page of The Summer Childrenand could not put this book down! I read it in a day. The characters are vivid and compelling. The plot kept me guessing, kept me turning the pages long into the night. The writing is beautiful, haunting, and heartbreaking.

The story is set three years after the events of The Roses of May and f
Mel
Aug 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dot Hutchison is an absolute auto buy auto read author for me. Her writing is addicting. It flows so well. It’s like candy, you just keep going and going until there’s nothing left to consume. I read all of this in the span of 5 hours and I haven’t done that in ages.

Here’s the thing, her mysteries are predictable. Both novels I’ve guessed the killer the moment we met them because there’s just no one else it could be. It’s too simple. But like I also don’t care. I LOVE the actual crimes and how
Monnie
May 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
So much did I love the first two books in this series The Butterfly Garden and The Roses of May that I couldn't wait to get my hands on this one. And I thoroughly enjoyed it as well, although for a somewhat different reason. It doesn't have the emotionally charged, edge-of-your-seat thrills like the others, but the writing is superb and I loved the character development and their interactions with one another.

And to that end, I'll offer a word of advice: Read the series from the beginning. The b
Malina Skrobosinski
"Scars mean we survived something, even when the wounds still hurt."

The Summer Children is the third installment in what we all thought was going to be a trilogy, but surprise, Dot Hutchison announced that she is keeping the Collector series alive with a fourth, and I for one am looking forward to it. While this one wasn't my favorite in the series, it's not without it's shining moments.

It's evident that Dot is a beautiful writer. She has the ability to tap into something that is a very dar
Jean
Jun 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Summer Children is the third installment in The Collector series. You definitely should read the prior 2 books before reading this one.

I loved the storyline in this book. A guardian angel is "saving" children from their abuse at home and dropping them off at FBI agent Mercedes Ramirez's home where they are told they will be safe. The problem with the book was that there was too much personal drama in it. Do co-workers really have that many sleepovers together? And what is with all the spani
Anne
Apr 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this final book in the trilogy! The Butterfly Garden had my attention from the first page and so I was invested in the characters already. And even though this novel deals with horrific instances of child abuse and murder, if you can stomach that you are in for a real treat of a novel! We see the FBI agents, Mercedes, Eddison, Sterling, and Vic as humans with compassion as well as all the flaws that come with life's challenges--especially dealing with the kinds of crimes they do. And so ...more
DebsD
I've been eagerly waiting for this - the third in The Collector series - to show up on Netgalley, and I read it within 24 hours of its appearance. My thoughts here are written immediately after finishing, and I will probably return to add to this review later. This one didn't grab me and make me love it the way the second book did - but honestly, for me, that second book was a tough act to follow, and this is still a fabulous book. It shows the same skill in drawing characters and again, excelle ...more
Cortney LaScola - The Bookworm Myrtle Beach
The Summer Children was fantastic... I spent my only day away from the bookstore reading it at home on the couch. Dot Hutchison definitely recaptured the magic of The Butterfly Garden that was missing in The Roses of May.

I loved that this book was centered around Mercedes and we went through her struggles and demons while she was trying to find the "angel". Great book! I am so pumped that there is another coming out in 2019.
Gerbera_Reads
I kept thinking about what to write about this book. It was certainly very well-written, very emotional and hard to talk about. Crimes against children is a tough subject on the best of days and it twists my stomach to think and to know that people who should love their children commit atrocities against them. So many lives broken with no chance to be innocent again.

This book follows Mercedes Ramirez together with her fellow FBI agents in a pursuit of an "Avenging Angel" who "saves" children fr
May 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I first found Dot Hutchison’s The Butterfly Garden (The Collector Trilogy #1) simply because it was free to listen to on Kindle Unlimited. I started listening to it and fell in love. It was an amazing story and so wonderfully written. I finished it in one day and then bought the book. After that I owned Roses of May (The Collector Trilogy #2) audio and hardcopy the day it was released. It was also a great story. I was lucky enough, thanks to NetGalley and my blog I didn’t even have to wait until ...more
Lisa Grønsund
Apr 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Full review soon to come.
For now, I can say that it was a great conclusion to an extremely well-executed trilogy. I didn't quite enjoy this book as much as the first, but I liked it better than the prequel. Since it's right in the middle of both prior books, I'm statistically speaking landing on a 3,75 star-rating. However, since it's a weird rating for me to award I'd like to state my real rating at 3,5 stars and a rating of 4 stars to the series as a whole.

• The Body Counter (Detective Jude Fontaine Mysteries, #2)
  • The Body Keeper (Detective Jude Fontaine Mysteries #3)
  • Stay Dead (Elise Sandburg #2)
  • Play Dead (Elise Sandburg, #1)
  • The Stillwater Girls
  • Pretty Dead (Elise Sandburg, #3)
  • The Body Reader (Detective Jude Fontaine Mysteries, #1)
  • Unspeakable Things
  • Truly Dead (Elise Sandburg #4)
  • Heartbreak Bay (Stillhouse Lake #5)
  • If You Tell: A True Story of Murder, Family Secrets, and the Unbreakable Bond of Sisterhood
  • Wolfhunter River (Stillhouse Lake, #3)
  • Bitter Falls (Stillhouse Lake #4)
  • The Best of Friends
  • The Lullaby Girl (Angie Pallorino, #2)
  • Thicker than Blood (Zoe Bentley Mystery #3)
  • In the Darkness (Zoe Bentley Mystery, #2)
  • Killman Creek (Stillhouse Lake, #2)
Dot Hutchison is the author of A Wounded Name, a young adult novel based on Shakespeare's Hamlet, and the adult thriller The Butterfly Garden.

With past experience working at a Boy Scout camp, a craft store, a bookstore, and the Renaissance Faire (as a human combat chess piece), Hutchison prides herself on remaining delightfully in tune with her inner young adult.

She loves thunderstorms, mythology

The Collector (4 books)
  • The Butterfly Garden  (The Collector, #1)
  • Roses of May (The Collector, #2)
  • The Vanishing Season (The Collector, #4)

Articles featuring this book

If you want a real scare, set aside your beloved horror classics—you know what darkness lurks within their pages, what...
“Scars mean we survived something, even when the wounds still hurt.” 16 likes
“It isn't impossible to heal from that, but it leaves scars. It changes the way you look at people, how far you can trust or let people in. It changes your habits, even your desires and dreams. It changes who you are, and no matter how much you struggle back toward that place, that person you started as, you never actually get there. Some change is irreversible.” 9 likes