Start by marking “Bayou Born (Foundling #1)” as Want to Read:
Bayou Born (Foundling #1)

Bayou Born

(The Foundling #1)

Her beginning may be our end...

Deep in the humid swamps of the Mississippi bayou, a mysterious, half-wild child is dragged just in time from the murky waters. She has no memories, no family and is covered in strange markings, the meaning of which no one is able to decipher. Adopted by the policeman who rescued her, Luce Boudrou follows him into the force, determined to
Published October 17th 2017 by Piatkus

To ask other readers questions about Bayou Born, please sign up.
Rox
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of Bayou Born (Foundling #1)
Paromjit
Sep 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a mystery thriller that moves into the type of fantasy territory I really was not expecting. Set in Canton, Mississippi, a strange wild child was found in a swampy bayou. She had odd markings on her body, and no memories of her past or even who she is. Adopted by a policeman, Edward Boudreau, 15 years later Lucy Boudreau has followed her beloved father to become a cop in Canton PD. She and partner, Rixton, have a missing person case, Angel Claremont, when they hear of a body in a bayou. ...more
Emma
Sep 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Despite the fact this that starts really slowly and had me worried at the more than passing similarity to the backstory in another YA novel (including the name of the main character), this book really turned it around by the halfway mark and left me wanting hard at the end. Any feelings that it might lack originality were blasted away as the story moved onwards and we learned more about the characters- they were innovative, funny, and charming in equal measure. Edwards managed to fit in a lot of ...more
Bex (Beckie Bookworm)
35658645._SY475_-1.jpg

What do you do when you get a book off NetGalley to review that just happens to be the fourth in the series without realising beforehand?
Well, you start at the beginning with this fantastic gem of a read Bayou Born the first book in the foundling series and got to say I am bloody impressed.
I read this book super fast then instantly ordered the second one I was that invested here.
A new author for me but one that I will have no qualms reading more of in the future.
Genre-wise this is urban fantasy
Emma
What the hell was that I just read?! This book was unputdownable. I can almost 100% guarantee you you haven’t read an urban fantasy quite like this one before. The first half of this book I was thoroughly enjoying as a straight forward mystery/romance and then....well the second half happens to you! There are no words..this is not a predictable read so don’t try! But I would say this a true fantasy and highly original. I literally couldn’t believe what I was reading.

This author also has a great
Lola
Aug 26, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
I can’t remember the last adult urban fantasy novel that I read. It must have been a long while ago. I have this huge problem where I can’t bring myself to finish long series, and we all know how long urban fantasy ones can be, so I decided to pick and choose which ones I think would work for me the most.

This is unlike any fantasy book I have read, and yet it does feel familiar at the same time. How many characters have blurry pasts or pasts they don’t remember at all? Too many, especially in
Jen Davis
Oct 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It took me a little while to get into this book. It starts off a little slow and I wasn’t really sure where Hailey Edwards was going with it. And then I met Cole. Which, for me, is where the story really started to get interesting. Then it got more interesting. And more interesting. And by the end, I was ready to stalk the author on Twitter and beg for the next installment.

The story takes place in Canton, Mississippi. I have actually lived right outside of Canton and it was fun to get a few
Denisa
Yum!

I devoured this one! Way better than what I expected.

It was such a fun read. Fast-paced and filled with action, a great plot and amazing characters. I haven't read anything by this author before and was so glad to have discovered her.

The UF part was something that I haven't seen too often. The world-builder was pretty complex but easy to follow at the same time. And, frankly, it's one of the few times, from what I've read, when (view spoiler)
Alison
Four and a half stars.

I'm a critical fan of Hailey Edwards' writing, sometimes I think she knocks it out of the park and other times I truly struggle to finish her books. Yet her writing is so fresh, interesting and different that I keep requesting her books. As I hadn't read the last couple of books in the Lorimar Pack series I wasn't sure whether this new series was a spin off or something totally different.

Lucy Boudreau is an enigma. She was found in the swamps of the Mississippi bayou as a
Brittain *Needs a Nap and a Drink*
There is a special place in my heart for Southern Gothic stories. Especially ones that are set in the bayous or under the shade of live oaks with Spanish moss dangling from the branches. I grew up on Faulkner and O'Connor saying "You can't understand it. You would have to be born there." There are secrets in these old trees and ghosts on our front porches. That is the Southern Gothic that I love so much. We are all haunted.

This book, Bayou Born, takes the Southern Gothic idea and tucks it into a
Someone's Potato

4.5
Holy moly, I need the next book like I need to get my Christmas shopping done- ASAP!! The plot starts out a little slow, though the mystery surrounding Luce's past and the appearance of the Whitehorse security guys immediately captured my attention. The overall tone is a subtly dark and mysterious, and the world building is excellently done. Something about the writing style is unique and really appeals to me, though I can't put my finger on what it is.

I absolutely loved this book and cannot
☕️Kimberly
Jul 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story opens when we meet Luce Boudreau, a police officer for Canton, Mississippi PD. It's her birthday and marks the day,her now adopted father discovered in the murky waters of the bayou. Luce'sorigins are surrounded in mystery especially when doctors and the press discovered strange bands or markings on her wrists and arms. Luce takes great care to keep her life normal and hides the markings under long sleeve shirts. We learn some strange things about the day they discovered her and about ...more
Mara
Jan 15, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
3.5
Good beginning, a middle that's a bit wobbly, and again a very good end.

I could have done without the instalust and all its physical appearance, I honestly found it irritating, like a water drop falling constantly from a kitchen tap. In itself nothing really problematic, but on the long run it might bring you to the wall :)
(I have yet to meet such a woman or man that gets immediately physically aroused on sight. I do apologize but I also find it mildly offensive. We are way more than
*Thea 'Wookiee'sMama' Wilson*
As anyone who knows me at all knows, I am a huge fan of Hailey Edwards and of her Black Dog books so I went into this book a little hesitant seeing as it was a non- Back Dog books, I was confident in the authors skills to pull off a great read but wary of the new subject matter. Of course as it turned out I needed have worried at all as while this book was a bit of slow-burn by the end it was thrilling and exciting read, with a new wonderful world of characters and the most mind-blowing twist I ...more
Emma James
Dec 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
RATING: 3.75-4 STARS

I have a range because the idea for this series is really cool, but I thought the first third and last third were much better than the middle in strength.
I have the next three books to read in the series and am eager to learn more.
Jeanny
Nov 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Started slow but ended beautifully without a Cliffhanger which is a rarity. It’s an intriguing start to what promises to be an excellent series.
Monty Cupcake ☠ Queen of Bloodshed ☠
Good, different.
May 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
4.5

Review posted on Got Fiction?

A friend recommended this book to me and I almost didn't read it. Boy am I glad I did. I think that when it comes to Urban Fantasy, I'm one of those who only likes it if there's a romantic interest that goes somewhere. I don't want 10 books of will they/won't they, so I'm always a wee bit leery going in. This book is the best UF I've read in a long time.

Luce Boudrou was found in the bayou as a young girl, with no memory of her past. The cop who found her adopted
Kelly
Sep 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Holy wow, this was fun. Not only is the world-building top notch (just so you know, I say that often about HE's books because she's a FANTASTIC world-builder), but the revelations of who Luce is and how she ended up in the swamp as a child made me positively giddy. GIDDY. Like, I can't stop thinking about how things are going to play out because there's a whole lot of crazy going on here and Luce's life has taken a turn she couldn't have expected.

There's so much I want to discuss, but I feel
Jennifer, Just beyond normal ♑
loved the book. I really like the idea of Luce and Cole together, so I have a feeling that is not going to be allowed to happen. So even though they pull together, push apart, I am rooting for them. I pretty much guess who the caller was on the her special phone and it is frustrating that this person will be a possible wedge between Cole and Luce. But I will at some point move on to book two, I just don't want to be disappointed. Maybe the caller is the better choice..we shall see.
FV Angela
Review originally posted at http://fictionvixen.com/review-bayou-...

Earlier this month I read a book by Hailey Edwards that stopped my Harvey book funk in its tracks. I enjoyed it so much I started looking for anything else by this author I could get my hands on. Bayou Born, the first book in her Foundling series, popped up on Goodreads as releasing in October.

Summary:

Her beginning may be our end . . .
Deep in the humid Mississippi bayou, a half-wild child is dragged from the murky waters. She
Somia
Jan 23, 2019 rated it it was ok
I really liked the sound of this book from the blurb, and was keen to read it, but I never found myself absorbed or truly engaged in the book/plot.

The beginning of this book for me was a tad too dry and didn’t draw me in, as a set-up it was too long, things picked up a tad for a little bit, but I still wasn’t riveted.

Not one character caught or held my attention. I honestly don’t get why the book/characters didn’t click with me, the main character Luce Boudrou wasn’t bad and was in fact quite
Meels
No first book syndrome here. By the end, I was scrambling to load the next one on my kindle. I love how Edwards puts a unique spin on things. I never feel like her books are “the same old thing”. Luce is a character you grow to love and root for. Great characters and cool world building with several mysteries going at once. What’s not to love?

Also, she answers your questions, brings those mysteries to light in a way that is satisfying...and at the same time makes you want to know even more.

I
Shelley
*Source* Kindle
*Genre* Urban Fantasy, Romance
*Rating* 3.5-4

*Thoughts*

Bayou Born is the first installment in author Hailey Edwards Founding series. 25-year old Luce Boudreau is protagonist of this series. Luce is a 25 year old woman with a 15 year old identity. Weird right? Not so weird when you start to understand that Luce was discovered in the swamps of Mississippi by a police officer named Edward Boudreau who ended up adopting the "wild child" as his daughter. The same wild child who choose
Tracy
I am such a fan of Hailey Edwards' books that I will blindly buy them without even reading what they are about. And that was this case with this book and I must admit I was pleasantly surprised. I had no idea what I was getting into and I had so many questions in the beginning. This book was fast paced and made me want to forgo sleep just to find out what was going to happen, where the story line was going. I'm thankful that I have all of the other books in the series (thus far) because I ...more
Theresa
4 Stars... This book was anything but what I expected it to be... Our heroine, Luce Boudreau, is a puzzle with many missing pieces... No memory of her life prior to 11 years old, strange markings on her arms, and a birthday call every year from a phone that never works otherwise all form a mystery aching to be solved... As secrets are revealed, a life Luce never imagined begins to unfold and she comes to realize there are monsters in this world, the question is... Is she one of them? A unique ...more
SheLove2Read
Dec 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018, best-of-2018
Holy shit, this was incredible. I love Hailey Edwards work, but this blew me away. I can't review it without giving away MAJOR spoilers, so I'm just going to say read it . You won't be sorry. 5 stars isn't enough!
Debrac2014
I found most of the story confusing! I didn't enjoy the story until the end! 2.5 stars!
Karen  ⚜Mess⚜
Nov 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I buy a new series book from an author I know and love often times I will not read the synopsis or reviews. I like that whole "opening the present excitement" kind of feeling. Bayou Born really took me for a joy ride! I really had no idea who or what the characters were.

Hailey Edwards put her own fingerprint on an old mythology. I loved the humor, and the characters. And I can't decide who is my book boyfriend. Cole or Miller?

The only thing Bayou Born had against it was the slow

Sara Oxton
Sep 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Bayou Born by Hailey Edwards a fantasy of a five-star read. This is the first book in the foundling series, and all I need to know is, is when is the next book out!! I admit I am a die-hard Hailey Edwards fan so when I saw this I knew I had to inhale the words at a rate that I didn’t think was possible, I re-read it straight after as I read it so quickly I was scared I missed something. It was even better the second time around. This is the best book I have read by her, and that’s something. ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Spoonies & Books: Bayou Born 1 2 Jun 01, 2018 08:48AM

• Sweep with Me (Innkeeper Chronicles, #4.5)
  • Dark Dancer (Rosie O'Grady's Paranormal Bar and Grill, #3)
  • Heart of Malice (Alice Worth, #1)
  • Shadow Hunter (Rosie O'Grady's Paranormal Bar and Grill, #1)
  • Oath Sworn (Jacky Leon #1)
  • Heart of Fire (Alice Worth #2)
  • Night Stalker (Rosie O'Grady's Paranormal Bar and Grill, #2)
  • Family and Honor (Jacky Leon #2)
  • Taming Demons for Beginners (The Guild Codex: Demonized #1)
  • Three Mages and a Margarita (The Guild Codex: Spellbound, #1)
  • Two Witches and a Whiskey (The Guild Codex: Spellbound, #3)
  • The Alchemist and an Amaretto (The Guild Codex: Spellbound, #5)
  • Dark Arts and a Daiquiri (The Guild Codex: Spellbound, #2)
  • Heart of Ice (Alice Worth #3)
  • Shattered Bonds (Jane Yellowrock, #13)
  • Dime a Demon (Ordinary Magic, #5)
  • Well of Magic (Rosie O'Grady's Paranormal Bar and Grill #4)
  • Demon Magic and a Martini (The Guild Codex: Spellbound #4)
Hailey Edwards writes about questionable applications of otherwise perfectly good magic, the transformative power of love, the family you choose for yourself, and blowing stuff up. Not necessarily all at once. That could get messy. She lives in Alabama with her husband, their daughter, and a herd of dachshunds.

The Foundling (4 books)
  • Bone Driven (Foundling, #2)
  • Death Knell (Foundling, #3)
  • Rise Against (The Foundling, #4)
“Beauty is a reflection on the genetic soup we got served. It says nothing about your character or personality. Pretty is just that. Pretty. Substance is what matters. Clichéd as it sounds, it really is what’s inside that counts.” 2 likes
“Hate comes easy.” He traced my jaw with his fingertip. “This doesn’t feel easy.” 1 likes