Start by marking “The Samurai's Heart (The Heart Of The Samurai #1)” as Want to Read:
The Samurai's Heart (The Heart Of The Samurai #1)

The Samurai's Heart

(The Heart of the Samurai #1)

Japan, 1587. Sen must find a husband to marry into her family’s swordsmith business. She seeks a Christian husband, though Christianity is banned.

Enter Nobuhiro. Third son of a high-level samurai, Nobuhiro fled his harsh father and apprenticed himself to a swordsmith. He yearns to prove his worth.

They seem an ideal match. But for Sen, the choice is faith or family. For Nob
Published July 18th 2017 by Kindle Press

To ask other readers questions about The Samurai's Heart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Samurai's Heart

Start your review of The Samurai's Heart (The Heart Of The Samurai #1)
Montzalee Wittmann
Jun 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The Samurai's Heart (The Heart Of The Samurai Book 1) by Walt Mussell is a book I won from the Kindle Scout program. It is not a book I would have picked out for myself but having said that, it is still an excellent book. It has deep emotions, suspense, romance, and a clash of religions. A historical fiction done right that left me thinking about it long after finishing the book. I am not religious and you don't have to be to enjoy this book. It is brilliantly written, subtle, and gently grabs ...more
Beth Erin
Sep 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Full review on Faithfully Bookish

This book's rare setting alone is enough to tempt a horde of historical fiction fans. The story is saturated with the everyday culture and historical climate of late-sixteenth century Japan as well as a healthy dose of suspense and a dash of romance. After months of eager anticipation, I'm so pleased to share my experience of this intriguing literary journey.

This book is first in a three part series and while Sen and Naobuhiro's story came to a satisfying conclus
Violet Stone
Aug 26, 2019 rated it liked it

It's not often I struggle with a star rating for a book. This was one of them. On the one hand I really liked this book. From the complete immersion into Japan and the dangers of being a Christian during that time period. And then on the other hand, it needed some more editing.

While the scenes were descriptive they didn't always flow well. They were mostly short sentences and it felt very telling rather than showing. There would also be moments where the scene would change within a pa
Kim
Status: On my to be read (TBR) pile.

Sensuality: Since Christianity plays a big role in the story and the romantic relationship I am assuming it is clean?

Source: Kindle Scout title I voted for and received a free copy of since it won and was published.
Bekah Clark
Oct 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This lovely historical novel was rich in culture, intrigue, and romance. Set in Japan in the late 1500s it follows the romance of Sen, a Christian in a time of persecution and Nobuhiro a son of a samurai who is training as a swordsmith. The author beautifully weaves issues of faith, love, and duty as Sen learns to balance these things. While I do not normally read Christian novels, I greatly enjoyed this book and found it to be so much more. I highly recommend it.
Nadine Keels
Nov 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Sen knows it is her duty to marry soon. But she’s a Christian who seeks a Christian husband, and her faith has been banned in Japan. Nobuhiro, the son of a respected samurai, may be a good choice for marriage, but he doesn’t understand the hold Sen’s foreign religion has on her. Her faith may prove dangerous for herself and those around her in The Samurai’s Heart, a novel by author Walt Mussell.

I’ve become nicely acquainted with samurai culture through books and film over the years and have hear
ToriLynn
Jun 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Nice

A nice read. Early Japanese Christianity plays a big role throughout the storyline. I cannot imagine being caught in that time period or the one shortly after the death of Christ in Jerusalem. The struggles faced by many even today regarding their religion. If only we could practice what we preach.
Steve Lundh
Apr 09, 2018 rated it liked it
This was a book that I picked up due to a number of reviews I had read online. Most all the reviews stated that it was a Christian story with historically written for the period, romance, intrigue, suspense and more and this was all true though after reading it I would say it was all of this but written more as a YA (young Adult) novel. An easy read with a sweet story and not pushy from the religion aspect. The kind of story that would be perfect for a lazy afternoon in the sun.
Marsha Brown
Apr 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Engaging from the firstage

The characters development was both broad and deep as the main characters as well as many supporting g ones are given more than a cursory glance into their persons
The very real struggle of accepting Christianity at the possible costs of livelihood, home, possessions and even life was well described. Coupled with the deep desire to honor traditions and family which is the heart of Japanese culture there is very much angst surrounding the acceptance of this foreign relig
Misty
Sep 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Thoroughly enjoyed

I found myself able to connect to the character Sen quite quickly and as her story unfolded I couldn't help but to root for her throughout. I also loved how the author was able to weave in elements of Christianity and faith without sounding preachy and the use of religion and beliefs benefited the story in my opinion.

With this being a historical piece I appreciated the attention to detail and the authors skillful way of explaining terminology in the story without oversimplifyi
Phyllis
What a fascinating story!  I loved reading about 16th Century Japan and the conflict between the Christians and the Buddhists and enjoyed learning more about Samurais and sword-making.

The story had the perfect pace.  There was mystery, action, intrigue, suspense and romance.  A great combination, especially added with history.  It was written in a compelling way that made you see Japan and experience the village as if you were there.  The characters were ones you related to and cared for.

Though
Rebecca
Jul 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle-scout
Writing a historical novel can be a challenge. You want to include enough detail to make the setting and characters reflect the period without bogging down the story with too many details. I found only a few instances in this novel where my attention waned with the details, where bits of dialog felt like mini info dumps. For the most part, the culture and happens of the time were mixed into the story with diligent detail. It was a pleasure reading the story and learning a little about a culture ...more
Nedam Pravoime
Jan 31, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really welcome finally reading a romance where a person with disability doesn't suddenly heal so they can be with the person they love. Also the main male character treats the woman he likes with respect. I am tired of abuse and dominance being presented as romantic.

I appreciated the historical accuracy, it was obvious the author put a lot of effort into representing Japan as it really was in 16th century.

(view spoiler)
Heather Richards
Jan 21, 2020 rated it it was ok
I found the main plot predictable and the world building and politics lacking substance. This is generally a book I would not read but thought to expand my genres, and since it was free on amazon I gave it a go. Nobuhiro annoyed me with being fixated on his harsh upbringing but his father pushing to hard due to his limp. The fact that he cried about it in each of his POV was irritating. He belittled himself quite often that made me lose sympathy and interest in his character.
Kathy C
Feb 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Very good book

I don't give 5 stars out randomly. There has to be good rationale behind it. This book held my attention. I was rooting for some of the characters to succeed and others to fail. I loved Tokoda, the dad, and even in his stoicism his fatherly love shines through. As a believer in Christ I appreciate the way that Christianity was presented and believe that even non-Christians will enjoy this book as much as I did. Good job.
English
Jan 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Full review to come
Mary Balcom
Mar 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great read Very interesting.
Mary Beth
Mar 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
The characters of Mayoshi and Saito are really well drawn, you feel their love. The plot is also well done.
I will certainly read book 2.
Yoav Koster
May 20, 2019 rated it did not like it
Boaring

I love historical novels of all sorts, and of all times, I struggeled with this book and evventually gave up.
Jason Bergdorf
juan enjamio
Sep 16, 2017
Sarah Larson anderson
Ok book

A Christian marries an non believer, still wrong no matter if its love or not. Suicide due to their culture seems prevalent.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Pride of the Samurai (Kusunoki Chronicles Book 1)
  • Mantis (Warrior Woman of the Samurai, #2)
  • Winter Raven (Path of the Samurai #1)
  • Dragonfly (Warrior Woman of the Samurai, #5)
  • The Spirit of the Dragon
  • The Last of the Moon Girls
  • Cloud of Sparrows
  • Lady of the Imperial City
  • Haiku Dance
  • Raven's Sword (Path of the Samurai Book 2)
  • Heart of the Fae (The Otherworld, #1)
  • The Samurai's Garden
  • Chameleon (Warrior Woman of the Samurai, #3)
  • Cici's Journal: The Adventures of a Writer-In-Training
  • White Out (Badlands Thriller, #1)
  • Attack on Titan: No Regrets, Vol. 1