Start by marking “Part of My World” as Want to Read:
Part of My World

Part of My World

Romance. Drama. Action. Hope.

In this collection of twenty-one short stories spanning from contemporary settings to fantastical lands, you will meet a troubled teenager, fallen princess, reunited lovers, superheroes, creatures from afar, and more. Funny, sexy, macabre, and heart wrenching, there’s something for everyone woven into these tales.

What Readers Are Saying About P
Kindle Edition
Published June 9th 2017 by A Little Hill Media (first published January 12th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Part of My World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Part of My World

Start your review of Part of My World
Leslie Marinelli
LOVED this book! Laughed OUT LOUD (which I hardly EVER do) when I got to the end of "The Sexy Bitch Next Door." The order of the chapters was brilliant. Kim also really grabbed me with "Revived." I have got to know what happens next! And "Appreciation"? Holy Mother... I want more of that one too. (The bartender sounds like a dreamboat. Rawr!) This book left me breathless. I wish I were one of Kim's characters, or that I could see the world through her eyes even for one day.
Anna Whitney luther
This collection of short stories was fabulous! In just a few words, I was transported to different places - and totally hooked. Kim is a talented writer, and I have picked up this book again and again - and it gets better with each read. Loved it!!
ADD
Oct 18, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
My first Goodreads First Reads book completion. I actually started it a couple of months ago and just decided to finish the last half today. Not a long book, but light-hearted in spirit and content. Some old fables with a different twist, some a little more risque than I expected. Overall, a pleasant, short read that was entertaining. If you need a short diversion to help your daytime imagination, this is a perfect book to assist as you fill in the details of her short tales.
Paige Kellerman
Jul 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kim has a way with fiction that so many wish they did. I loved moving from chapter to chapter, never quite knowing what world I'd get sucked into. Each story is like a mini vacation. Loved this collection!
Allison Hart
Jul 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've been a fan of Kim Bongiorno's writing since I first was introduced to it on her blog (Let Me Start By Saying). But even having read her for years, I was blown away by her creativity and talent when I read this book, which I did in one sitting because I couldn't stop turning the pages.
Amy Flory
Jul 07, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As a mother whose book reading is done in abbreviated snippets, I appreciated how Kim was able to weave a detailed and rich story in just a few pages. I can't wait for her next book!
Beth Teliho
May 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Short stories are far harder to write than they appear, but Kim Bongiorno has mastered the art. In her eclectic collection, she gives us a delicious taste of 21 worlds using minimal words. Sensual and surprising, inspired and humorous, Part of My World is a magic carpet ride through Kim's wildly creative imagination, and you'll beg for the ride not to end!
Meghan O'Flynn
Apr 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Looking for a short read? This one took me an hour and it was well worth it. Spanning the divide from endearing to subversive to downright magical, PART OF MY WORLD gives all short story lovers something to lose themselves in.
Nicole "Nikki" Knepper
Apr 22, 2014
Anna Elizabeth Purvis
Nov 25, 2016
Ada N. Rutledge
rated it did not like it
Jul 29, 2016
Discussion Question #1: Expanded story 1 1 Jul 15, 2013 09:21AM

• The Boy from the Woods
  • The Henna Artist
  • I'm Fine and Neither Are You
  • The Perfect Wife (Jessie Hunt #1)
  • Death Turns a Trick (Rebecca Schwartz, #1)
  • Killman Creek (Stillhouse Lake, #2)
  • Straight Up
  • The Event (The Creek Water Series, #1)
  • The Winner
  • The Way You Make Me Feel
  • The Overdue Life of Amy Byler
  • Your Perfect Year
  • The Magic Misfits (The Magic Misfits, #1)
  • Chaser (Jacqueline "Jack" Daniels, #13)
  • Stirred (Jack Daniels Mystery, #8)
  • Shaken (Jack Daniels Mystery, #7)
  • Roller Girl
  • Invisible Emmie
Kim Bongiorno is the author, freelance writer, and blogger behind Let Me Start By Saying. Her work appears in 11 anthologies, including the NY Times Bestseller I JUST WANT TO PEE ALONE.

She had way too much fun writing her short story collection, PART OF MY WORLD, and is now writing a middle grade novel because her kids told her to.

Kim has written for Real Simple, The Washington Post, Parents Maga

Related Articles

“Boney freckled knees pressed into bits of bark and stone, refusing to feel any more pain.
Her faded t-shirt hugged her protruding ribs as she held on, hunched in silence.
A lone tear followed the lumpy tracks down her cheek, jumped from her quivering jaw onto a thirsty browned leaf with a thunderous plop.
Then the screen door squeaked open and she took flight.
Crispy twigs snapped beneath her bare feet as she ran deeper and deeper into the woods behind the house. She heard him rumbling and calling her name, his voice fueling her tired muscles to go faster, to survive.
He knew her path by now. He was ready for the hunt.
The clanging unbuckled belt boomed in her ears as he gained on her.
The woods were thin this time of year, not much to hide behind. If she couldn’t outrun him, up she would go.
Young trees teased her in this direction, so she moved east towards the evergreens.
Hunger and hurt left her no choice, she had to stop running soon.
She grabbed the first tree with a branch low enough to reach, and up she went.
The pine trees were taller here, older, but the branches were too far apart for her to reach. She chose the wrong tree.
His footsteps pounded close by.
She stood as tall as her little legs could, her bloodied fingers reaching, stretching, to no avail. A cry of defeat slipped from her lips, a knowing laugh barked from his.
She would pay for this dearly. She didn’t know whether the price was more than she could bear. Her eyes closed, her next breath came out as Please, and an inky hand reached down from the lush needles above, wound its many fingers around hers, and pulled her up.
Another hand, then another, grabbing her arms, her legs, firmly but gently, pulling her up, up, up. The rush of green pine needles and black limbs blurred together, then a flash of cobalt blue fluttered by, heading down.
She looked beyond her dangling bare feet to see a flock of peculiar birds settle on the branches below her, their glossy feathers flickered at once and changed to the same greens and grays of the tree they perched upon, camouflaging her ascension.
Her father’s footsteps below came to a stomping end, and she knew he was listening for her. Tracking her, trapping her, like he did the other beasts of the forest.
He called her name once, twice. The third time’s tone not quite as friendly.
The familiar slide–click sound of him readying his gun made her flinch before he had his chance to shoot at the sky. A warning. He wasn’t done with her.
His feet crunched in circles around the tree, eventually heading back home.
Finally, she exhaled and looked up. Dozens of golden-eyed creatures surrounded her from above. Covered in indigo pelts, with long limbs tipped with mint-colored claws, they seemed to move as one, like a heartbeat. As if they shared a pulse, a train of thought, a common sense.
“Thank you,” she whispered, and the beasts moved in a wave to carefully place her on a thick branch.”
5 likes
“She stared at the faded tile floor before her feet, but knew his every step around her small kitchen. When Martin touched the coffee cup patterned curtains he must assume she’d made, her fingers throbbed. When his eyes slid across the flowery aluminum water bottle at the table, her throat cracked with thirst.

The radio clicked off.

The silence of the room soaked up her raspy breaths, her pounding heart, her ache, and stirred them around the one man she ever longed for in a way that changes how you taste the world.

Her desire swirled in a pulsing, betraying, blurry hook, and encouraged him to move closer.

Martin obeyed.”