Start by marking “Sere From the Green (Shape Shifter Chronicles, #1)” as Want to Read:
Sere From the Green (Shape Shifter Chronicles, #1)

Sere From the Green

(Shape Shifter Chronicles #1)

There is a race that lives among humans, unbeknownst to them, called shape shifters, those that can shift from human to animal at will. Many protect the innocent on Earth and act as the eyes and ears of the guardians, divine beings similar to gods in ancient myths.

Isis is a woman who lives a normal life until the day she photographs a murder scene for her job. When the
Second, 400 pages
Published October 31st 2017 by Snowy Wings Publishing (first published March 17th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Sere From the Green, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sere From the Green

Start your review of Sere From the Green (Shape Shifter Chronicles, #1)
K.
Do you ever finish reading a book and just find yourself staring blankly into space thinking "what the eff did I just read?"?? If you have, you'll very much understand my experience of reading this book.

I picked this one up because it was on a list of ace spectrum Own Voices books, and HELL YES. Also, the blurb sounds pretty stinking great. But honestly? I think the best word to describe this book is "disjointed".

Like, yes, it starts out being a story about an ordinary girl taking photos of a
Lynn Clark
Ive read to 68% of this book and Ive decided to not finish it. The book is readable and well edited... but theres no connection to the characters. None. There were three months skipped over completely while Isis adjusted to her new life, a vague mention of a prophecy and that Isis MIGHT be important somehow, and that her best friend is actually her Protector, which I figured out as soon as she was brought into this new world. Ive read from authors that in order for the book to be a great read ...more
DWR
Jun 02, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Wimpy, whining, cranky and cluless wonder-women, without the wonder

I'm a fairly average, middle-age, heterosexual, male. I shouldn't have started reading this book in the first place. I only made it through 70% of the book. The plot is more than a little derivative of many different sources. There is no big goal or objective for the story. There are many political factions vying for power, but their membership and objectives are hidden, complicated and altogether distracting.

The characters are
Isis Prosser
Jun 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
I had a lot of fun reading this one. Usually I have a hard time getting into novels of this genre despite finding it appealing, but this book really clicked with me and I could not put it down and even now that it's done I'm craving more.

I pretty much bonded with the main character immediately, and finished this book still adoring her. Maybe I'm biased because of her name, but goodness, she was just so much fun and exactly the type of character I like.

And I found the world itself pretty neat.
Fay Tannerr
Dec 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
3.5 Stars

Sere from the Green had an interesting take on shape shifters on Earth.

Isis is a photojournalist whom one day takes a photo of a dead body that vanishes from her pictures the next day. Eager to find out what happened, Isis is suddenly thrust into a world of shape shifters and guardians that she didn't know could even exist.

I liked the characters and the synopsis of the story, but there was a lot happening at once and a few things that were left unexplained.
Shelley
May 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Worth the read

It's always nice to find a new author. Lauren Jankowski writes a quick moving, action packed story.She has developed the 'Meadow' with careful attention.I enjoyed reading this book and am looking forward to the next in the series.
Lisa
I'm not entirely sure what this book was. A bit too much going on.
t'Sade
Nov 14, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wanted to like this novel but I couldn't. Let's start with the bad: editing. There were a lot of echo words in this story, the same word used in clusters throughout the piece. They didn't throw me but it was a constant irritation that didn't relent until the end. There were other editing issues: incorrect words and copy editing.

The characters had some potentials, but when you read a number of paranormal stories, these characters feel like rehashing the same archetypes. The characters were
Joseph Ballenger
Sere from the Green.
Wasn't a bad book, but wasn't entirely the best book either.

Pros:
Great action
Lovable characters

Cons:
Not sure what's the ultimate goal of the plot.
Certain questions aren't answered.
Not sure if this was meant to be omniscient third person or limited.

Nevertheless, I understand writing a book is a feat by itself.
Here's to a job well done :)
Ryan Prior
Oct 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This story delivers a generous helping of "aww yeah, that was badass" moments, yet still takes time to explore the internal worlds of the characters. An overwhelming number of plots are set in motion, conveying the feeling that whatever happens next could take the story in any number of exciting directions.
Laya
Apr 17, 2018
Claire Llewellyn
Sep 09, 2019
Lauren
Mar 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
iam
DNF @ 42%
I'm pretty bummed out that I wasn't able to get into this. I've been looking forward to reading Sere From the Green for quite a while now, but pretty much nothing about it worked for me.

From the very start the writing was a bit awkward. Not that bad, but the dialogue was unnatural and stilted when you paid attention and characters frequently talked to themselves in that super weird way that is clearly only meant for the readers benefit or to give information.

What bothered me the most
Ming

• Deal or No Deal: A Case from the Midnight Eye Files
  • Slugs (Slugs, #1)
  • Firestarter
  • Revolting Rhymes
  • His Majesty's Dragon (Temeraire, #1)
  • The Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents (Discworld, #28)
  • Pyramids (Discworld, #7)
  • League of Dragons (Temeraire, #9)
  • Equal Rites (Discworld, #3; Witches, #1)
  • The Beaver Book of Horror
  • Cardcaptor Sakura, Book 4
  • Blood of Tyrants (Temeraire, #8)
  • Guards! Guards! (Discworld, #8; City Watch #1)
  • Littlest Lovecraft: The Dreamlands Collection
  • Littlest Lovecraft: The Horror Collection
Lauren Jankowski, an openly aromantic asexual feminist activist and author from Illinois, has been an avid reader and a genre feminist for most of her life. She holds a degree in Women and Genders Studies from Beloit College. In 2015, she founded Asexual Artists, a Tumblr and WordPress site dedicated to highlighting the contributions of asexual identifying individuals to the arts.

She has been

Shape Shifter Chronicles (5 books)
  • Through Storm and Night (Shape Shifter Chronicles, #2)
  • From the Ashes (Shape Shifter Chronicles, #3)
  • Haunted by the Keres (Shape Shifter Chronicles, #4)
  • The Dwelling of Ekhidna (Shape Shifter Chronicles, #5)

News & Interviews