Start by marking “Baby Teeth” as Want to Read:
Baby Teeth

Baby Teeth

3.68  ·  Rating details ·  15,744 ratings  ·  4,074 reviews
Sweetness can be deceptive.

Meet Hanna.

She’s the sweet-but-silent angel in the adoring eyes of her Daddy. He’s the only person who understands her, and all Hanna wants is to live happily ever after with him. But Mommy stands in her way, and she’ll try any trick she can think of to get rid of her. Ideally for good.

Meet Suzette.

She loves her daughter, really, but after yea
Published July 17th 2018 by St Martin's Press

To ask other readers questions about Baby Teeth, please sign up.
Jerie I actually had the same thought about this book, since it's de rigueur for the problem child to kill the family pet, and in snarky response to the…moreI actually had the same thought about this book, since it's de rigueur for the problem child to kill the family pet, and in snarky response to the existing snarky responses, no, I have no problem with people being killed, just animals.(less)
Marisa The daughter Hanna is an interesting case where she's intellectually ahead of many people her age, but, emotionally is all over the map. She sees…moreThe daughter Hanna is an interesting case where she's intellectually ahead of many people her age, but, emotionally is all over the map. She sees herself as an equal person to her mother, not that one's a child and the other is an adult, so the way her mother and father communicate their love (particularly sex) makes her jealous that she doesn't have that 'secret language.' She selfishly doesn't want her father to have things that are only between himself and her mother because it gets in the way of their bond. So I don't think she wants an intimate relationship with her father in a physical, sexual way, but, she wants to be that person that her mother is; the one that gets this special attention. (less)
Don't Call Me Cupcake by Tara SheetsRainbirds by Clarissa GoenawanThe Queen of Hearts by Kimmery MartinNever Dare a Wicked Earl by Renee Ann MillerEverything Here Is Beautiful by Mira T. Lee
Authors18
123 books — 192 voters
Kingdom of Ash by Sarah J. MaasA Court of Frost and Starlight by Sarah J. MaasQueen of Air and Darkness by Cassandra ClareWar Storm by Victoria AveyardThe Cruel Prince by Holly Black
Can't Wait Books of 2018
1,300 books — 4,757 voters

More lists with this book...

j e w e l s [Books Bejeweled]
Apr 18, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: books-bejeweled
ONE STAR ⭐ for me because I finished it!

This book is trying so hard to be controversial. Instead, it's an epic fail. I'm not in the HATE it or LOVE it camp. I'm in the incredibly bored and what is the point camp?.

In case you've been busy reading a good book (lucky you!) and missed some of the pre-hype, BABY TEETH is the story of a creepy seven-year old mute girl, Hanna, who hates her mommy and wants to kill her. She wants mommy out of the picture so that she can have daddy all to herself. That
Deanna
Jan 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs, 2018
My reviews can also be seen at: https://deesradreadsandreviews.wordpr...

OH MY ….

I have no words.

HA! Yeah right!!

Hanna LOVES her Daddy. Her Mommy?

Not so much….

This first thing I’m going to say about “Baby Teeth” is that it won’t be for everybody. And that’s OKAY! I’m not going to judge anyone for liking it OR not liking it. It’s a fiction book!

It does clearly say in the description:

“From blazing new talent Zoje Stage, Baby Teeth is a story about a perfect-looking family, and a darling little gir
Elyse Walters
Jan 26, 2018 rated it did not like it
READ THIS REVIEW AT YOUR OWN RISK.... SPOILERS +SPOILERS +SPOILERS...
HOWEVER... I QUIT! I’m throwing in the towel. I’ve read enough...stopping at 41% on my Kindle copy.
I appreciate the widget-offering from the publisher — but for me— I CAN’T compare this book to “The Dinner” ....or “We Need To Talk About Kevin”....Both of those two other books had a different quality and purpose IMO....
THIS BOOK seems to me - to be an intentionally disturbing novel - for the pure pleasure of the thrill. It’s ug
Crumb
Feb 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
A Sure-Fire Hit! Not to be Missed!

This is going to be one of the most controversial books of the year. It has generated a whole lot of buzz on social media and has garnered tons of reviews here on Goodreads. Whether you hate it or you love it, you won't be able to stop talking about it. So, you may as well read the book and see what the big deal is, right?
 * * * * * * * * * * * *

What would you do if your child hated you? Really and truly hated you? Hated you so much , in fact, that she wanted t
karen
Jan 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
oooh, goodreads choice awards semifinalist for best horror 2018! what will happen?

this is the story of a seven-year-old girl named hanna who loves her daddy SO MUCH that she doesn’t want anyone else taking up any of his time or attention. so, obviously, her mom’s gotta go. like, go in a “not be breathing anymore” way.

in what is either a chilling declaration of intent or a genius marketing strategy, the author has dedicated this book to her father, which cracked me up.

because that’s the best way
Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
One of my favoritest thing in the world to read about!

When my book bestie and fellow weirdo found the synopsis for this book, we knew we had found one that our little shriveled hearts would adore. So I'm deeply thankful for her begging on my part to get my grubby hands on a copy of this one.

Hannah loves her Daddy. He spoils her even if she doesn't say a word. She gets kicked out of all the preschools and the doctor's can't find anything wrong with her. She is still her Daddy's girl though and t
Debra
Jan 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Baby Teeth is a "psychological" thriller focusing on a dysfunctional family and their child with disturbing behavior. Alex, the father, does not want to see or believe that his daughter has behavioral/emotional problems. His daughter behaves around him, she is loving and, although she does not speak, she has her own way of communicating with him. Suzette, the Mother, is homeschooling her daughter while dealing with the symptoms of her Crohn's disease. Suzette is the target or her daughter, Hanna ...more
Navidad Thélamour
Mommy was only a shell of a person with nothing to give. She was like a store full of bright and tempting candies held captive behind a thick, transparent wall. It wasn't like Hanna hadn't tried to tap on the glass and grasp what was inside.

So, it’s possible that I’m just too much of a Southerner for this book, but Baby Teeth absolutely did not work for me. (Well, that's not 100% true: I think the book's title and cover art are phenomenal.) It was just so melodramatic and implausible that I foun
Berit☀️✨
Feb 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: net-galley, 2018
4 controversial stars🌟🌟🌟🌟

*** I am updating my rating to a solid 4 Stars for the following reasons....
• I read this book in February and it has stayed with me over the last six months and as much as I read that absolutely says something!
• I allowed other peoples opinions to sway my own when it came to this book, and that was not fair to the book or to the author!
*** I still stand by every word in my review, this was a very compelling and engaging read for ME!

I believe I’m going to bust out my com
Mischenko
Feb 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
You can also see this review @ https://readrantrockandroll.com/2018/...

May contain mild spoilers…

Suzette, mother to Hanna, deals with illness on a daily basis. She has an autoimmune disease that makes her sick and causes pain. On top of this, she’s trying to be a good wife to Alex, Hanna’s dad, and all she wants is to have a normal family–a normal daughter. The problem is that Hanna is a complete psycho, doesn’t talk, and behaves so badly, she’s continuously kicked out of school and Suzette has
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin

For some reason I thought this book was going to be about an evil baby that ate people. I mean Baby Teeth right? . . .

This was NOT that fun book. What the hell was this book!?

There is a plus side! 😄

Happy Reading!

Mel 🖤🐶🐺🐾

MY BLOG
Tammy
Jan 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Is it possible for a child to be a psychopath? Is aberrant behavior the result of nature or nuture ? These are questions I’ll leave to minds far better than mine. This is a deeply unsettling novel about the proverbial bad seed. It is told from the alternating points of view of the mother and child. Hanna is seven years old and silent which make her thoughts and consuming love for her father all the more chilling. Manipulative and malicious, Hanna has one goal and it isn’t pretty. We are talking ...more
Taryn
Jan 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
"There’s nothing scarier than loving a child and not understanding what they’re trying to tell you—”

There's not enough room in the house for both Hanna and her Mommy! Seven-year-old Hanna would be so much happier if Mommy would just disappear so that she and her Daddy could live happily ever after. Through Hanna and Suzette's (Mommy) eyes, we see their daily battles to maintain control in an unpredictable, ever-changing world and what it's like to maneuver through life when no one will hear yo
Kaceey - Traveling Sister
2.5*
Tough call on this one. Enjoyed the author - well written. With that said, the over-the-top subject matter was so shocking to me it was difficult to keep my perspective. For that reason alone, it just wasn’t for me. Though I'm definitely in the minority here.

Mothers are daughters....

Hanna is 7 years old and Daddy’s little girl. Her world revolves around her love for dear daddy.
Now her mother...well, that’s another matter. If only mommy wasn’t around...if only she didn’t have to share daddy
Theresa Alan
Apr 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
This novel is described as a thriller. I think it would be better categorized as horror. It’s told from the point of view of an exasperated stay-at-home mom, Suzette, and her seven-year=old daughter, Hannah. Hannah refuses to speak. When Dad is home, she is smiley and delightful. When he’s at work, she does her best to make her mom’s life a living hell. When Suzette tries to enroll her first in preschool, then kindergarten, then first grade, Hannah snarls at teachers and starts fires and hurts o ...more
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
FLOAT BECAUSE IT'S THIS BABY'S BERFDAY!!!!!

Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

This book doesn’t come out until Summer of 2018, which really sucks - - - FOR ALL OF YOU!!!! Did you fall for that?????

In all seriousness, when I made a placeholder This Is America, I Want It Now “review” it was more like me channeling my inner Oprah and putting this out into the universe à la The Secret in hopes of winning the Goodreads Giveaway. When I received an e-mail from St. Martin’s P
Arah-Lynda
Feb 23, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Boy you can bet I am glad to see the back of this baby. Teeth or no.

Not going to lie I did not care for this at all.

For those of you who do not know, Baby Teeth is the story of Hanna, a little girl who is determined to kill her mother.

Of course any story of this nature is going to be an uncomfortable read and I was very aware of that hurdle from the onset. That said, no doubt I would have found this more unsettling than I did, had I bought into any of it. I did not.

The story is told through t
Matt
Mar 01, 2018 rated it liked it
Recommended to Matt by: HeidiLynns BookReviews
First and foremost, a large thank you to NetGalley, Zoje Stage, and St. Martin’s Press for providing me with a copy of this publication, which allows me to provide you with an unbiased review.

In her debut novel, Zoje Stage has made quite a name for herself. Exploring some dark and disturbing areas of the parent-child relationship, the reader is forced to see a seemingly calm little girl turn against her own mother. Hanna Jensen appears to be quite the average four-year-old girl, with one glaring
Shannon
Feb 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Okay okay okay... Let me ask you this. Do you have kids? Has your child ever freaked out in a restaurant or in a store? If you don’t have kids I bet you’ve thought “lady, get this kid out of here!” And I do! Because 👏🏼 mama 👏🏼 don’t 👏🏼 play 👏🏼! Now, a little tantrum every now and then is normal (believe me, my 5 year old still speaks whinese 🙄) BUT in Baby Teeth by Zoje Stage you get way more than a little tantrum!! Like, dayuum!!

Dennis asked me how I was feeling this story. My answer = “it’s nu
Norma * Traveling Sister
4 Disturbingly Good and Twisted Stars to BABY TEETH!

Why I wanted to read this one……This book was a Traveling Sisters Group Read that I missed out on reading and with the so many strong reactions and thoughts towards this book I just knew that I had to read it! I don’t think I have ever been so interested in finding out what my thoughts would be over a book like I was with this one.

So what did I think…….Well, I quite enjoyed it! Now there were a few scenes intended to shock the reader which I t
Carol (Bookaria)
This is one of the creepiest books I've ever read.

Hannah is seven years-old and the daughter of Alex and Suzette. She loves her dad but dislikes her mom.

Hannah would love to have her dad for herself and starts taking the steps to see this happen. That's the premise of the book and all I can say without getting into spoilers.

The book is told from the alternating points of view of Hannah and Suzette. Suzette suffers from Crohn's disease and I found the author described the illness and its symptom
Carol
3.5 Stars.

Oh dear.....talk about a BAD seed.

BABY TEETH is quite a horrific story and debut offering....definitely NOT for everyone. I thought I knew where the story was headed...twice....from little hints here and there, but NOPE, the author takes the reader to yet another place....the mind of a disturbed and violent child.

Seven years old (going on seventeen) Hanna is very astute and conniving, but shows only angelic sweetness to daddy....she REALLY loves her daddy. As a matter-of-fact, she wa

Dan Schwent
Feb 04, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2018-books, 2018
Hanna is seven years old and has yet to speak. She does manage to communicate, though, through malice toward her mother, Suzette. How can Suzette deal with her daughter's psychopathic tendencies when no one believes her?

I got this from Netgalley and the promise of a creepy homicidal kid lured me in. I was a little disappointed.

Like I said in the teaser, Hanna is seven years old, mute, and wishes violence death upon her mother. Suzette is a stay at home mom with Crohn's Disease. Hanna definitely
Jasmine from How Useful It Is
Baby Teeth – Review & Blog Tour

About: Baby Teeth is a thriller written by Zoje Stage. It will be published on 7/17/18 by St. Martin’s Press, an imprint of Macmillan Publishers, 320 pages. The genres are thriller, fiction, and mystery. This book is the author’s debut.

My Experience: I started reading Baby Teeth on 2/24/18 and finished it on 3/10/18. This book is an excellent read, though tough topic to handle. I’m reading this book as a mom and I cringe at what Hanna does. I sympathize with S
Michelle
Jan 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley-arcs
I was contacted by the publisher and they are sending me an ARC of this! I can't thank you enough St. Martin's press and Katie Bassel for giving me this opportunity!!! *Happy Dance*

Let's meet sweet little mute Hanna, the apple of her Dad's eye, her mother's worst nemesis. She really, really loves her Daddy but mean old Mom is constantly getting in their way. Hanna needs to execute a plan. A plan to get rid of mean old Mom for good and she has so many clever ideas on just how to do it.

Poor Suzet
Susanne Strong
Something is amiss in this family of three. Only Suzette and her daughter Hanna are aware of it. Suzette’s husband just doesn’t see it. The reason? His daughter Hanna acts like an angel when she is with him. Yet when she is with her mother Suzette, she is a very different little girl and her behavior, for a seven year-old is downright disturbing and well at times, terrifying. Suzette is scared and well, she should be.

“Baby Teeth” is a suspense novel by Zoje Stage. For me, there were things about
Brenda - Traveling Sister
Reading Baby Teeth by Zoje Stage was a whole different experience in the coulee for me. So my review for this one is going to be a bit different too. I really don’t know what coulee I ended up in with this very different book from any that I have ever read before.

Baby Teeth is a dark domestic suspense that I recommend with caution. It’s bold and daring, unnerving, disturbing and an unsettling read. It could have you turning those pages as fast as you can or you could be closing the book as fast
Christina - Traveling Sister
Nov 07, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: dpl
3.5, well I'm never having a child now stars!!

Full review featured on my blog Recipe & a Read!

We begin our story with Suzette. Suzette is a stay at home mother to her daughter Hanna, a doting and loving wife to her husband Alex and to say the very least: girl is strugglin'. She's had a rough upbringing and has been struggling since she was a teenager with Crohn's - an autoimmune disease that left her with major medical and personal implications. From there, she has unrealistic expectations f
Zoje Stage
Feb 03, 2018 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Hello Readers!

As more reader reviews are coming in it's becoming apparent that BABY TEETH elicits strong reactions from some people, and a lot of debate. I am all for strong reactions and unfettered debate, but I would like to clarify something that I feel was misrepresented by a DNF-review and the reactions that followed:

There is absolutely NO child sexual abuse in this book!

There may be any number of reasons as to why BABY TEETH is not the book for you, but there is absolutely no gratuitous c
Suzanne Leopold
May 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Suzette is homeschooling her seven-year-old daughter Hanna. She is out of options after Hanna is expelled from numerous schools. Her daughter is highly intelligent but has severe behavioral issues and rarely speaks. Her behavior is uneven with most of the volatility directed towards her mother. When her father is around she is well behaved and loving.

Hanna adores her father and doesn't want to share his attention. She devises calculated attacks against her mother which slowly wreak havoc on her
Horror Aficionados : * February Group Read #2 Baby Teeth 9 89 1 hour, 25 min ago
Play Book Tag: Baby Teeth by Zoje Stage 4 stars 2 11 Jan 20, 2019 06:21AM
Monsters, Murdere...: August 2018 Book Club: Baby Teeth 7 45 Aug 23, 2018 03:45PM
Play Book Tag: Baby Teeth by Zoje Stage / 3 stars 1 18 Aug 14, 2018 08:31AM
Buddy Read for Baby Teeth 17 188 Aug 09, 2018 02:06PM
Zoje Stage is a former filmmaker with a penchant for the dark and suspenseful. Her debut novel BABY TEETH, released by St. Martin's Press in July 2018, was a USA Today bestseller. It was published in the UK by Transworld, under the title BAD APPLE. She lives in Pittsburgh, PA.
“It was hard to pour endless love into someone who wouldn't love you back. No one could do it forever” 14 likes
“Sometimes she struggled with resentment watching her family eat a meal that she prepared. People took eating and shitting for granted, like the continuous beating of their hearts, the inevitable protection of their skin. They didn't think about their intestines doing everything wrong, fucking up the basic process of digestion.” 4 likes