Start by marking “Ignite (The Bound Ones, #1)” as Want to Read:
Ignite (The Bound Ones, #1)

Ignite

(The Bound Ones #1)

Bound by fear, by fire, by destiny.

Published October 1st 2015 by Tricia Barr

To ask other readers questions about Ignite, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ignite

Start your review of Ignite (The Bound Ones, #1)
Colleen Scidmore
First off I would like to thank Tricia Barr for allowing me to review her book.
I wasn't sure how Caloric was going to turn out because my initial thought was there is probably going to be some slow going since the characters are confined to one area pretty much throughout the book. But that wasn't the case at all! Caloric had quite a bit of action surprisingly. There was never a dull moment even when all the characters got to do at times was sit around and talk. Each of the characters had
Clare O'Beara
Four young adults - student age - are abducted and jailed in a strange bleak cell. Two girls and two guys from various American cities, and they each turn out to have an innate power like telekinesis which is unfortunately no help in freeing them. They immediately get chatty and reveal all about their powers, despite the fact that the abductors could be expected to be spying on them. The main character we follow, Phoenyx, is living with the fact that she may have sparked the fire which caused a ...more
Jan 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: type-ebook, 2018
Disclaimer: I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. The premise of this series is that the elements of earth, air, fire, and water have been bound into human form. That’s not a spoiler, even though the characters aren’t in on the “secret” with us. I kind of wish the reveal built up for the reader the way it does for them.

The characters are fun, and mostly have enough back story to interest the reader (except Lily, who seemed like an afterthought). The names are
Ramona Plant
May 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Caloric is a very well written book by Tricia Barr. This book drew me in from the very first page. It follows a great pace and has a unique plot that is rather intriguing. The pace of the book is perfect and never feels like it is dragging out or is rushing you through the story. There are some neat twists hidden within that keep you reading on. I pretty much read this book in one sitting, it captivated my attention that much.

Phoenyx is a very likable character and you can definitely see her
Charlotte
Appropriate reading for all ages.
This book was okay. There was some originality with the four elements being housed in humans. It's typical of a "club" wanting something of power for themselves and then making some sort of justification to get it, so not so original there. I guess I thought this one would be more interesting, I think the holding cell, imprisonment thing, was dragged out to long..
Tiffany Jones
Jan 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
**FTC DISCLAIMER: I RECEIVED AN E-ARC FROM GOODREADS IN EXCHANGE FOR AN HONEST REVIEW. RECEIPT OF THIS BOOK IN THIS MANNER DOES NOT AFFECT MY OPINION OF THE BOOK OR THE CONTENT OF MY REVIEW.**

After a night out, Phoenyx Blake wakes up to find that she and another girl, named Lily, have been locked in a dungeon cell. They have no idea how or why this has happened. A couple of days later, two guys, Skylar and Sebastian, are thrown into the cell next to theirs. Phoenyx is shocked when she realizes
Eric
Oct 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed this book. A lot of books have lulls where the author was trying to give the appearance of time passing, what I call filler, and those parts are always boring, but Caloric was interesting right from the beginning and stayed that way through to the end. And there were quite a few surprising twists you wouldn't expect from a YA novel. I highly recommend it.
Augustine  of Elsinore
For more reviews, author interviews and picks of the month check out my blog: https://inkandpapercuts.wordpress.com/

I received Tricia Barr’s ARC via the “Read it & Reap” programme of the Goodreads group Shut up & Read in exchange for my honest review.

WHAT IS THE BOOK ABOUT?

Phoenyx Blake finds herself locked in a dungeon with three complete strangers belonging to different backgrounds and abducted from different states. Days pass and well-hidden secrets come to surface–secrets that stem
Lene Blackthorn
Aug 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Elements might be captured. But their raw power remains untamed and only the Bound Ones can control them.
Phoenyx was preparing to start her studies at UCLA when she found herself kidnapped and locked in a prison God knows where. She shared her prison cell with sweet and kind Lily, and later, two young men, Skylar and Sebastian, were thrown and locked into the adjacent cell. Growing closer to each other in their misery, they not only become friends but also learn the truth about their
Rosemary
Oct 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of Harry Potter, rites-of-passage & overcoming-the-odds
Ignite - a review by Rosemary Kenny

This clever novella, part of a series, is suitable for a wide audience as it is devoid of extreme violence or graphic sex scenes. I would recommend Ms Tricia Barr's offering to young [or older] adult fans of Harry Potter, (due to its theme of a magic world living in tandem but unseen by everyday people) and fans of fantasy/overcoming-the-odds stories of all ages.

Themes include overcoming issues and difficulties of the common rites-of-passage type, experienced
Beverly Laude
The story begins with two young college-aged women being held in a cell by parties unknown. Then, two young men are put into the cell next to them. What in the world is going on?

Phoenyx Blake is a young woman with a lot of guilt over her father's death. Sebastian and Skylar are basically con artists from Las Vegas, using some mysterious powers to trick people out of their money. Lily is a non-descript nursing student who seems afraid to open her mouth.

Phoenyx and Skylar have dreamed about each
☘Tara Sheehan☘
Aug 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Tricia Barr has put out a novel that hits all the high notes to draw readers in with her talented writing and imagination. The super hero / gifted powers plot device worked well within the context of this story and was a welcome break after being inundated with Marvel and DCs monopoly on the themes.

The suspense filled action, romance and a whiff of humor combine to create a well thought out plot in this first book of the series.

The characters are fleshed out very well so you get a good sense of
Beaches&Books
Aug 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Phoenyx Blake has a secret. When she wakes in a dungeon with three strangers, she is forced to face it, which isn't easy seeing as her cellmate, Sebastian, has starred in her dreams. As days pass, they learn they are each one of the four elements bound in human form and they have been abducted by an ancient society that plans to kill them and steal their powers. If they hope to escape, they must master their powers, and Phoenyx must learn to let go of fear and let love in, before it's too late.

Kristen
Jun 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: upwork
I love this story for a YA novel. While reading, it seemed very alternative universe but still high schoolers learning about who they are. The story is about a group of teenagers that find themselves prisoners due to their special powers. In a very superhero / Hercules / Percy Jackson way, they work together to defeat those trying to steal their gifts.

The protagonist, who goes by Pheonyx, is a great strong woman character. Her fellow inmates, Lily, Sebastian, and Skyler make the story what it
C. Erani Kole
Jun 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: elementals
*voluntarily and honestly reviewed the ARC I received from the author*

It's a story of four strangers waking up in a cell, being fed once a day, not knowing what any of them have in common or what's going to be done to them when their captors finally come for the last time. At first it was exciting because no one knows what's happening (well you know, unless you read the blurb then...) and then you do find out what's up, and things take a more romantic turn. I had a few moments of wondering if
Crittermom
Aug 06, 2017 rated it it was ok
Uggh. I expected more of Caloric. What I got was drivel. There is minimal substance. A group of teens are imprisoned, two boys and two girls. They discover they are going to be killed for their elemental powers. The leader of an ancient cult wants all of the powers for himself. The four have to train their powers so they can make an escape. Phoenyx instantly falls in love with SebastIan - they have dreamt about each other after all. It's pretty boring. I got 70% through - no real action, no sign ...more
Holly Barlow
Oct 20, 2017 rated it liked it
•'Ignite' by Tricia Barr
...
(3 stars)
...
-- Spoiler Free--

Firstly, I just want to thank Tricia for sending me her novel to read and review, i am very grateful.
Ignite was a very quick read and kept me hanging on every word right from the start. While i thought that the first flashback was abrupt and a bit unnecessary, as we started to learn more about the character's backstories, i found that the flashbacks were an interesting way of allowing us to piece together how they came to being in their
Valery
Jun 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Caloric (The Bound Ones Book1) by Tricia Barr has a wonderfully intriguing premise. Four strangers wake up in a cell together, each with their own unique set of circumstances and proclivities. Written for the YA audience, there is plenty of great characterization that is highly relevant to a younger crowd. It balances the characters with a strong plot, some romance, and paranormal touches as well for a well rounded and captivating reading escape. Phoenyx, Lily, Sebastian and Skylar all have ...more
Paranormal Lovers
Oct 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a Non-Spoiler Review. I really enjoyed reading Caloric, first in the Bound Ones series.

It's my first Tricia Barr read and I can honestly say it won't be my last. I love when a story is so well written that you can see the movie run in your mind and was pleasantly surprised to find that Caloric was such a story.

I felt like I was standing in the room watching the storyline unfold. The characters are fun and endearing despite the situation they find themselves in and Tricia Barr has a knack
Patrick Hodges
Rating: 3.5 / 5 stars

The story:

Phoenyx Blake, a teenage girl, awakens in a locked dungeon with only a girl named Lily for company. Soon after, they are joined by Sebastian, to whom Phoenyx has an instant attraction, and Skylar, his best friend. Through conversation and snippets of info given to them by their captors, they learn that they are the four Bound Ones – the living embodiment of the four Elements of the Earth: air, earth, fire, and water. Together, they must figure out how to escape
Darcy Smith
Aug 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I have to say this is my first book by Tricia Barr and I have to say that I am impressed. It was written very well and has a great story. I loved how unique it is. The characters are extremely well developed and have some great sense of humors. I loved how the characters were in tune with each other. They have great personalities and just make the story enriching. I would definitely say this is worth reading. It isn't so short that you are left hanging. It is nice quick fantasy read. I ...more
Linda Levine
Dec 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a very intriguing read. I really enjoyed how the author took the time to develop each of the characters. It makes for a slower pace at first but really works in the end. Phoenyx is the strong female character I prefer in my books. She and the others find themselves in the middle of something very powerful and have to use all their strengths to survive the battle they face. There are lots of surprises to come and I am really eager to read more.

I am voluntarily reviewing a copy I received.
Alia Therese Lazo
Jun 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy

The plot was slow paced which I think fit the story well. We were able to know each character well, their faults and their stories before they came to the cell. I liked the writing, it was easy to get into and was very fluid.

Phoenyx, Lily, Sebastian and Skylar were interesting characters on their own. They had their faults and strengths. I really liked the friendship that formed between them and how because of this, they were able to become better versions of themselves.

I received an ARC from

Cabiria Aquarius
I’ve always loved stories based on the elements. I can never name a favourite, the characters are all good and amazing in their own way, so I cannot pick a favourite.

The use of the Romance mode of literature and the use of the elements made it really enjoyable.

I loved Phoenyx, she had a past and learned from it and through it all she struggled and learned. She can do it.

Lily is amazing and shy and pretty cool. How she’s insecure about herself and her powers and how she grows after that. She’s
Jimmy Jefferson
Jun 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
The is a story of four strangers who find themselves in a cell together. They discover they are each special and represent an element that is worth killing for. To successfully escape they must learn how to embrace their power. Characters are well developed and this is a good story line. It holds the readers interest and is a fun read. The elements are a great mystery that we learn through this journey Good read for taking your mind off of things and getting an escape for awhile.
Art.Reads_83
Dec 16, 2017 rated it it was ok
***SPOILER FREE***
I personally expected more from this book....the blurb is what caught my interest and it was a shame because the foundation and themes for this book had much potential. The book was slow ,it was set in the exact same place for more than 90% of the book and for most of the book the main characters are left clueless and there’s was no character development while having the story also hugely lacking action and substance.
I was given an E-ARC of ignite by the author in exchange for
arielewartbremer
Oct 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Firstly, thanks so much to Tricia for allowing me to review her book. (:
To be honest, I think Ignite has potential, the storyline has thrilling concepts with new ideas. I've always loved the elements and I was super excited when I realised this book incorporated them in. This book was a quick easy read, and I think shortening the dungeon scene and adding in some more action/intense scenes would spice up this book considerably. It will be interesting to see where book 2 takes us.
Georgia
Apr 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
I received a free copy for an honest review. I loved how the story got straight to the point. I didn't have to read a couple of chapters of backstory before anything good happened. I loved all four characters, even though Phoenyx's fear of herself had me wanting to slap her with a banana most of the time. But the love she found with Sebastian made up for it. I really enjoyed the story and look forward to reading the rest.
Christine G.
Oct 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is absolutely incredible - Tricia has artfully woven a story of magic, love, friendship and mystery that hooks you until the end.
The characters are relatable and power the story, connecting you to what happens. An element of mystery heightens intrigue and gets you thinking about what will happen and where the characters will end up next.
A powerful story, would 100% recommend this read!
Sara Summers
Good idea

I loved the idea of this book but couldn’t connect with the characters. They seemed more like 13 year old caricatures than 19 year old people.

There’s mention of sucking certain body parts so I wouldn’t call this book anywhere near clean enough for a YA audience.

All in all a fantastic idea, just needs more realistic characters and less info-dumping!

• Cursed by Fire (Blood & Magic #1)
  • Elizabeth and the Magic of Dragons (Fated Alpha, #3)
  • Elizabeth And The Call Of Dragons (Fated Alpha, #2)
  • Bane of Dragons (Sera's Curse #1)
  • Into the Darkness (Darkness, #1)
  • Obsidian (The Dragon Kings, #1)
  • Elizabeth and the Clan of Dragons (Fated Alpha, #1)
  • Delayed Admission (Shadow Veil Academy #1)
  • Rose Petal Graves (The Lost Clan #1)
  • The Genesis of Evangeline (The Lost Royals Saga #1)
  • The Finale (Vampire Royals #3)
  • The Pageant (Vampire Royals #1)
  • Lonely Vampire Prince (Dirty Monsters #2)
  • Trial by Fae
  • Dragon Shadow (Reclaiming the Fire, #1)
  • Stealing Tranquility (Dragon Descendants, #1)
  • Vampire Debt: Supernatural Battle (Vampire Towers #2)
  • Kissed by Fire (Blood & Magic #2)
By day, Tricia is a full time mom to two beautiful toddler girls and a wife/business partner to a handsome hard-working husband. By night--and nap times--she writes unique and thrilling young adult fantasies inspired by her vivid, somewhat creepy dreams and her own adventures around the world.

Sign up for her Email List and be automatically notified about new releases: http://www.tricia-barr.com/

The Bound Ones (4 books)
  • Submerge (The Bound Ones, #2)
  • Unearth (The Bound Ones, #3)
  • Haunt (The Bound Ones, #4)