Start by marking “Secrets for the Mad” as Want to Read:
Secrets for the Mad

Secrets for the Mad

When I feel like I'm going mad I write.

A lot of my worst fears have come true; fears that felt so big I could barely hold them in my head. I was convinced that when they'd happen, the world would end.

But the world didn't end. In fact, it pushed on and demanded to keep spinning through all sorts of mayhem, and I got through it. And because I persisted, I learned lessons abo
Published November 2nd 2017 by Ebury Press

To ask other readers questions about Secrets for the Mad, please sign up.
Pirl Yes, there is a section of the book where she talks about being bi.

Start your review of Secrets for the Mad
Evan Edinger
Dec 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Rating should be 3 just to be a 6/10
Nat
Sep 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“When you can’t find your purpose in a day, make it to look after yourself.”

I went into this book not knowing too much about the author, other than being absolutely in love with her cover of the song Novels with Rusty Clanton. I must've replayed it over a hundred times since I found it back in April.

Secrets for the Mad 1-- bookspoils
Secrets for the Mad 1-- bookspoils
Source

I consider it to be one of my all-time favorite songs, thanks to its visceral lyrics that make my heart skip a beat without fail. So I was bound to read Secrets for the Mad sooner o
Yesy (The Book Vagrant)
Shelves: nonfiction
I'm not one to get excited about YouTuber memoir-type books (as I don't tend to read nonfiction in general) but I want to get my hands on this so bad! Dodie is lovely and wonderful and just YES PLEASE! ...more
Kate (GirlReading)
If you weren't already aware of what a wonderful, talented human dodie is, you will be after reading her book.

*I will be posting a full review nearer the release date.*

With picturesque writing, each short story feeling like an all consuming snapshot of her life, you can tell dodie is a songwriter. Her writing is somewhat lyrical and tells a secret story, just like her songs, but in a way that makes you feel like you are living it.
Although the stories are very personal, they're also so relatable
Reading_ Tam_ Ishly
Jan 21, 2021 rated it it was amazing
"People experience their mental health problems in different ways, but for me, I flip back and forth between optimistic and utterly hopeless."

***one of the best books read in 2021.

One of the unique, non-fiction reads which I am going to cherish forever, this book talks about mental health which focuses in details about DPD (depersonalisation disorder/dissociation/derealisation).

I love the relatable sketches in between the pages. I love the poetry as well as the prose. The whole content is just w
Romie
Is there a better way to write this review than to listen to some music by Dodie herself? I don’t think so.

Dodie Clark is my inspiration. I read this book I like her music and her videos, but I didn’t expect to find so much of myself in her, to be so deeply touched by her words — though I should have known because her songs alone have the power to make me laugh and sob.

I didn’t know about her suffering from DPD, and I won’t say I’m glad she does, but gosh, reading about her experience made me fe
g
Jun 15, 2017 marked it as to-read
MY FAVORITE PERSON EVER WROTE A BOOK GO PRE ORDER IT GO PUT IT AT THE TOP OF YOUR TBR GO SUPPORT DODIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I AM L I V I N G!!!!!!!!
Allwynne
Jan 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
A lovely written book from a simply lovely human. :)
Weronika Zimna
Three sympathetic stars?

This book has some really nice and touching passages, some lovely words and tips, some wonderful lyrics and stories, but it’s also a chaotic mashup of e v e r y t h i n g. It even includes recipes! It’s hard for me to wrap my head around it.

I just... would happily read a collection of Dodie’s essays that would be taken care of by a careful editor. This book is a half-memoir, half self-help book. As I’ve mentioned, it contains some lovely parts yet I can’t help but feel a
Lea (drumsofautumn)
Mar 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Dodie is somone who I've been following online for a super long time and it's been great to see her grow and develop, both as a human and as a musician.
Usually I'm not hugely interested in YouTuber memoirs and if I am, I tend to go for audiobooks, but I knew that this wouldn't be one of those memoirs with rAnDoM stories from a really boring life but actually something that would pack a punch and include some self-help, as Dodie is someone who's always very honest and open about her mental illnes
Desiree
Jan 11, 2018 rated it liked it
I'm gonna be honest here, this wasn't... spectacular. Dodie is a beautiful writer in terms of song lyrics, she can write a stunning song for sure, but I don't think that talent necessarily translates strongly to memoir writing. It wasn't terrible, really it wasn't. I enjoyed it. I mean, it's a memoir, so it's hard to really have an opinion about people's personal experiences.

This memoir had a strong focus on mental health - dark, scary, sad issues. Like derealization/depersonalization, anxiety,
Inge
Sep 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

If I had to describe Dodie, it would be utterly lovely. You watch her YouTube channel and even though she writes songs about soul-heavy and feel-heavy topics, you can't look at her cute face and hear her gorgeous voice and not smile. Even though she talks about the things that we find hard to put into words, the feeling you get from her is one of happiness.

"I woke up as heavy as lead, an ocean of worry weighs me down in bed.
But there's things to do! There's a life to live; must ignor
Gesine
Jan 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I couldn't give it less than 5 stars. Dodie is such a lovely human and I loved how open she is in the book and how she writes about such important topics.
There are also beautiful drawings, snapshots of her life and lyrics from her songs, all fitting to the chapters. I loved to listen to these songs while I was reading the book 🌻
bethany
Jun 20, 2017 marked it as to-read
Shelves: anticipating
I'M SO PUMPED OH MY GOSH THE LOVE OF MY ABSOLUTE LIFE IS PUBLISHING A BOOK!!!!! GO HER!!!!! GO DODIE!!!!! ...more
Lauren James
I loved the mix of drawings, song lyrics/poems and prose, that felt really nice. Dodie is very honest (her guide to sex is particularly important) and I think this book is going to do great things for her viewers.
Aya Mouqed
Apr 25, 2020 rated it liked it
I started this book to hopefully get over the huge reading slump I was in. Fortunately, it kinda did its job.
As for the book itself...
I love Dodie!!!!! But this kind of youtuber memoir thing isn't for me :(
It was nice to know the stories behind the songs I grew to love and know by heart, though ❤️
Anita Tamm
Dec 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I finished this wonderful piece of art with tears in my eyes, my hands shaking. I love dodie so much it hurts.
Appreciate what you have and that you're growing and learning, do not be scared of being afraid and honest.
Mel González
"You inspire me. You make me want to write like you. To be colourful like you. To dance and twirl and radiate like you. But.
You make me want to starve, to look like you. To always look like you, and when I don't, it hurts."

TW: mental illnesses (depersonalisation, eating disorders, depression), abusive relationships, self harm.
*ARC provided by the publisher through NetGalley for an honest review*

This was an incredibly deep exploration on Dodie's life and her perspective on a lot of h
Amy
Sep 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really liked this book. It definitely gave me more information about Dodie as a person and that she is a really good writer.

Full review to come...

As many are, I am a fan of dodie's youtube channel so when I saw that this was available to review I was super excited. Secrets For The Mad is a solid and honest read, different from other youtube books with a deeply personal touch.

As a subscriber of dodie's I do really love how honest she is in the book. A lot of the things that she discusses espec
Iris
Mar 11, 2018 rated it it was ok
Not great. I received this free from Atria Books, but all opinions are my own.

I honestly don’t know who this book is for? I found nothing in it relatable at all. Most of the writing is incredibly juvenile, but the subject matter is about drinking and boys and being drunk.

I would say only pick this up if you are a fan, there’s nothing in here that you can’t get out of her videos and songs.
Vera
Nov 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned, audiobooks
This is one of the best books I've ever read. The entire first hour of the book I cried so much I was shaking. It encouraged me and gave me hope, telling me that even though life is hard and bad things will happen, the world will keep going and so will I. Thank you dodie, this book will forever effect my life. ...more
Helena Aeberli
Jun 15, 2017 marked it as to-read
i can't wait to read this!!!! ...more
josh
Jan 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
all i have to say is that this book is beautiful, raw, and very dodie. i just love her so much.
Mayra
Jan 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, own
dodie is like my contemporary sylvia plath. she gets me. i get her. and i think i love her.
Kellie
Dec 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5/5 stars
I had no expectations whatsoever going into this book. I was simply curious, and although I'm not the biggest fan of books by YouTubers, I thought I'd give this one a shot since I love Dodie. And I did really like it. It was like reading her diary in some aspects. I liked her advice and the topics that she talked about. It was personal, and that's why I enjoyed it.
Chloe (thelastcolour)
Feb 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
i have always admired dodie, i love what she stands for and the awareness she brings to mental health issues. this book was exactly what i needed to read at this present moment in my life. it made me feel less alone, less crazy and broken and i cannot thank her enough for having the courage to write such a personal book
rebeccaslifeandbooks
Feb 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is amazing, it’s so real. She writes about her live and how she learned and gives tips. Seriously this could be a live saving book because it gives so much hope.
I love it. And I love honestly she writes! :)
Thao Nguyen
Jan 13, 2020 rated it liked it
I couldn’t help to appreciate Dodie’s ability to be so raw, so vulnerable, genuine and open about her emotions and experience. She writes what’s on her mind and this girl’s creativity is truly endless. She makes art out of her broken experiences and (sometimes) has fun with it, just how she challenged herself to keep track of her thoughts in writing while getting drunk on the plane. She inspires people to create, to live life though they might be struggling themselves at the moment.

Dodie writes
Elly (imaginemorebooks)
Nov 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
*** I received an ARC of this book from Atria Books and NetGalley in exchange for a honest review. However, this does not influence my opinions in any way.***

For complete and utter transparency: I was given this book for review, but I was planning on picking it up anyway. Dodie has been one of my favorite YouTubers for years, so I’d be lying if I said the idea of her writing a book didn’t excite me. For those of you familiar with Dodie’s channels, this book feels like a physical form of her seco
Болоржаргал Г.
6/10... because it’s the new 10/10...

Also also, I finished my reading challenge... perks of having a low goal 😝😝😝

• Out of Love
  • The Amazing Book Is Not on Fire
  • A Work in Progress
  • Graffiti (and Other Poems)
  • Note to Self
  • In The Event This Doesn't Fall Apart
  • Binge
  • Feel Good 101
  • All I Know Now: Wonderings and Reflections on Growing Up Gracefully
  • The Truth About Keeping Secrets
  • Doing It!: Let's Talk About Sex
  • Cien años
  • La única estrella de la noche
  • What's the Rush?
  • Heartstopper: Volume One (Heartstopper, #1)
  • The Uni-Verse: The Ultimate Guide to Surviving University
  • Solitaire
  • Heartstopper: Volume Three (Heartstopper, #3)
Dorothy "Dodie" Clark is an English singer, songwriter, and YouTuber. ...more