Start by marking “Secrets for the Mad” as Want to Read:
Secrets for the Mad

Secrets for the Mad

When I feel like I'm going mad I write.

A lot of my worst fears have come true; fears that felt so big I could barely hold them in my head. I was convinced that when they'd happen, the world would end.

But the world didn't end. In fact, it pushed on and demanded to keep spinning through all sorts of mayhem, and I got through it. And because I persisted, I learned lessons
Published November 2nd 2017 by Ebury Press

To ask other readers questions about Secrets for the Mad, please sign up.
Pirl Yes, there is a section of the book where she talks about being bi.

Start your review of Secrets for the Mad
Evan Edinger
Dec 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Rating should be 3 just to be a 6/10
Nat
Sep 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“When you can’t find your purpose in a day, make it to look after yourself.”

I went into this book not knowing too much about the author, other than being absolutely in love with her cover of the song Novels with Rusty Clanton. I must've replayed it over a hundred times since I found it back in April.

Secrets for the Mad 1-- bookspoils
Secrets for the Mad 1-- bookspoils
Source

I consider it to be one of my all-time favorite songs, thanks to its visceral lyrics that make my heart skip a beat without fail. So I was bound to read Secrets for the Mad sooner or
Yesy (The Book Vagrant)
Shelves: nonfiction
I'm not one to get excited about YouTuber memoir-type books (as I don't tend to read nonfiction in general) but I want to get my hands on this so bad! Dodie is lovely and wonderful and just YES PLEASE!
Kate (GirlReading)
If you weren't already aware of what a wonderful, talented human dodie is, you will be after reading her book.

*I will be posting a full review nearer the release date.*

With picturesque writing, each short story feeling like an all consuming snapshot of her life, you can tell dodie is a songwriter. Her writing is somewhat lyrical and tells a secret story, just like her songs, but in a way that makes you feel like you are living it.
Although the stories are very personal, they're also so
Romie
Is there a better way to write this review than to listen to some music by Dodie herself? I don’t think so.

Dodie Clark is my inspiration. I read this book I like her music and her videos, but I didn’t expect to find so much of myself in her, to be so deeply touched by her words — though I should have known because her songs alone have the power to make me laugh and sob.

I didn’t know about her suffering from DPD, and I won’t say I’m glad she does, but gosh, reading about her experience made me
g
Jun 15, 2017 marked it as to-read
MY FAVORITE PERSON EVER WROTE A BOOK GO PRE ORDER IT GO PUT IT AT THE TOP OF YOUR TBR GO SUPPORT DODIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I AM L I V I N G!!!!!!!!
Allwynne
Jan 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
A lovely written book from a simply lovely human. :)
Weronika Zimna
Three sympathetic stars?

This book has some really nice and touching passages, some lovely words and tips, some wonderful lyrics and stories, but it’s also a chaotic mashup of e v e r y t h i n g. It even includes recipes! It’s hard for me to wrap my head around it.

I just... would happily read a collection of Dodie’s essays that would be taken care of by a careful editor. This book is a half-memoir, half self-help book. As I’ve mentioned, it contains some lovely parts yet I can’t help but feel a
Lea (drumsofautumn)
Mar 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Dodie is somone who I've been following online for a super long time and it's been great to see her grow and develop, both as a human and as a musician.
Usually I'm not hugely interested in YouTuber memoirs and if I am, I tend to go for audiobooks, but I knew that this wouldn't be one of those memoirs with rAnDoM stories from a really boring life but actually something that would pack a punch and include some self-help, as Dodie is someone who's always very honest and open about her mental
Desiree
Jan 11, 2018 rated it liked it
I'm gonna be honest here, this wasn't... spectacular. Dodie is a beautiful writer in terms of song lyrics, she can write a stunning song for sure, but I don't think that talent necessarily translates strongly to memoir writing. It wasn't terrible, really it wasn't. I enjoyed it. I mean, it's a memoir, so it's hard to really have an opinion about people's personal experiences.

This memoir had a strong focus on mental health - dark, scary, sad issues. Like derealization/depersonalization, anxiety,
Inge
Sep 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

If I had to describe Dodie, it would be utterly lovely. You watch her YouTube channel and even though she writes songs about soul-heavy and feel-heavy topics, you can't look at her cute face and hear her gorgeous voice and not smile. Even though she talks about the things that we find hard to put into words, the feeling you get from her is one of happiness.

"I woke up as heavy as lead, an ocean of worry weighs me down in bed.
But there's things to do! There's a life to live; must ignore
Gesine
Jan 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I couldn't give it less than 5 stars. Dodie is such a lovely human and I loved how open she is in the book and how she writes about such important topics.
There are also beautiful drawings, snapshots of her life and lyrics from her songs, all fitting to the chapters. I loved to listen to these songs while I was reading the book
bethany
Jun 20, 2017 marked it as to-read
Shelves: anticipating
I'M SO PUMPED OH MY GOSH THE LOVE OF MY ABSOLUTE LIFE IS PUBLISHING A BOOK!!!!! GO HER!!!!! GO DODIE!!!!!
Lauren James
I loved the mix of drawings, song lyrics/poems and prose, that felt really nice. Dodie is very honest (her guide to sex is particularly important) and I think this book is going to do great things for her viewers.
Anita Tamm
Dec 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I finished this wonderful piece of art with tears in my eyes, my hands shaking. I love dodie so much it hurts.
Appreciate what you have and that you're growing and learning, do not be scared of being afraid and honest.
Mel González
"You inspire me. You make me want to write like you. To be colourful like you. To dance and twirl and radiate like you. But.
You make me want to starve, to look like you. To always look like you, and when I don't, it hurts."

TW: mental illnesses (depersonalisation, eating disorders, depression), abusive relationships, self harm.
*ARC provided by the publisher through NetGalley for an honest review*

This was an incredibly deep exploration on Dodie's life and her perspective on a lot of her
Amy
Sep 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: for-review, netgalley
I really liked this book. It definitely gave me more information about Dodie as a person and that she is a really good writer.

Full review to come...

As many are, I am a fan of dodie's youtube channel so when I saw that this was available to review I was super excited. Secrets For The Mad is a solid and honest read, different from other youtube books with a deeply personal touch.

As a subscriber of dodie's I do really love how honest she is in the book. A lot of the things that she discusses
Vera
Nov 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned, audiobooks
This is one of the best books I've ever read. The entire first hour of the book I cried so much I was shaking. It encouraged me and gave me hope, telling me that even though life is hard and bad things will happen, the world will keep going and so will I. Thank you dodie, this book will forever effect my life.
Iris
Mar 11, 2018 rated it it was ok
Not great. I received this free from Atria Books, but all opinions are my own.

I honestly don’t know who this book is for? I found nothing in it relatable at all. Most of the writing is incredibly juvenile, but the subject matter is about drinking and boys and being drunk.

I would say only pick this up if you are a fan, there’s nothing in here that you can’t get out of her videos and songs.
Helena A
Jun 15, 2017 marked it as to-read
i can't wait to read this!!!!
josh
Jan 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
all i have to say is that this book is beautiful, raw, and very dodie. i just love her so much.
Kellie
Dec 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5/5 stars
I had no expectations whatsoever going into this book. I was simply curious, and although I'm not the biggest fan of books by YouTubers, I thought I'd give this one a shot since I love Dodie. And I did really like it. It was like reading her diary in some aspects. I liked her advice and the topics that she talked about. It was personal, and that's why I enjoyed it.
Chloe (thelastcolour)
Feb 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
i have always admired dodie, i love what she stands for and the awareness she brings to mental health issues. this book was exactly what i needed to read at this present moment in my life. it made me feel less alone, less crazy and broken and i cannot thank her enough for having the courage to write such a personal book
rebeccas.book.world
Feb 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is amazing, it’s so real. She writes about her live and how she learned and gives tips. Seriously this could be a live saving book because it gives so much hope.
I love it. And I love honestly she writes! :)
Thao Nguyen
Jan 13, 2020 rated it liked it
I couldn’t help to appreciate Dodie’s ability to be so raw, so vulnerable, genuine and open about her emotions and experience. She writes what’s on her mind and this girl’s creativity is truly endless. She makes art out of her broken experiences and (sometimes) has fun with it, just how she challenged herself to keep track of her thoughts in writing while getting drunk on the plane. She inspires people to create, to live life though they might be struggling themselves at the moment.

Dodie writes
Elly (imaginemorebooks)
Nov 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
*** I received an ARC of this book from Atria Books and NetGalley in exchange for a honest review. However, this does not influence my opinions in any way.***

For complete and utter transparency: I was given this book for review, but I was planning on picking it up anyway. Dodie has been one of my favorite YouTubers for years, so I’d be lying if I said the idea of her writing a book didn’t excite me. For those of you familiar with Dodie’s channels, this book feels like a physical form of her
Болоржаргал Г.
6/10... because it’s the new 10/10...

Also also, I finished my reading challenge... perks of having a low goal
Viir
Jul 08, 2019 rated it it was ok
I got my hands on this book because of my book club. I liked the cover and the title, but I never heard of Dodie. I’m not an avid YouTube watcher, so probably that’s why.

I liked some of the poems, I also liked a couple of the chapters (obsession and another one I can’t remember the title of).

What bothered me a lot was how cut off everything seemed. Maybe that was intentional, but I couldn’t get into each chapter fast enough before it was over.

And to be honest there was nothing extra ordinary,
Phebs
Oct 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Did I add this to my "hot-musicians" bookshelf?
um yes bc dodie is a bisexual hottie who deserves everything

Well, um, took me awhile but I did it! I finally have gotten through a non-fiction book and honestly I think Dodie's was the best novel to start with.
Not only is the cover of this hardback beautiful but also the drawings within, along with the perfectly placed Dodie-original songs. It makes Secrets For The Mad even more aesthetically pleasing.

Her writing was beautifully written (but why
Kirsty Potter
Nov 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Ahhh, I've not read a book in one sitting for so long and it feels so lovely and comforting. As someone who has been slightly disparaging of 'youtuber books' it's definitely a bit hypocritical of me, but I knew I was going to love this as soon as dodie announced it. I love her unique voice, her brutal honesty and her warm empathy - all of these things are prevalent in her songs, her videos, her instagram captions and now in her very own book. The way the book was organised into three sections ...more

• The Truth About Keeping Secrets
  • Doing It!: Let's Talk About Sex
  • Graffiti (and Other Poems)
  • Feel Good 101
  • Leah on the Offbeat (Creekwood #2)
  • Note to Self
  • Radio Silence
  • Fully Functioning Human (Almost): Living in an Online/Offline World
  • Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda (Simonverse, #1)
  • The Amazing Book is Not on Fire
  • The Hormone Diaries: The Bloody Truth About Our Periods
  • Heartstopper: Volume One (Heartstopper, #1)
  • A Work in Progress
  • Turtles All the Way Down
  • When The Curtain Falls
  • Heartstopper: Volume Two (Heartstopper, #2)
  • Undercover Princess (The Rosewood Chronicles, #1)
  • All I Know Now: Wonderings and Reflections on Growing Up Gracefully
Dorothy "Dodie" Clark is an English singer, songwriter, and YouTuber.
“When you can't find your purpose in a day, make it to look after yourself.” 23 likes
“My rotting brain had lied to me; of course talking would help. Of course my loving, caring friends telling me it would get better would help. They fed ropes down the hold I'd been digging, and even if they couldn't pull me up, they at least reminded me that there was a world beyond this, where I'd been before.” 19 likes