Start by marking “Year of Wonder: Classical Music for Every Day” as Want to Read:
Year of Wonder: Classical Music for Every Day

Year of Wonder: Classical Music for Every Day

As featured in the Telegraph and on Radio 4's Today programme.

'Year of Wonder is an absolute treat - the most enlightening way to be guided through the year.' Eddie Redmayne

Classical music for everyone - an inspirational piece of music for every day of the year, celebrating composers from the medieval era to the present day, written by award-winning violinist and BBC Ra
Published October 5th 2017 by Headline Home

To ask other readers questions about Year of Wonder, please sign up.
Paul Mais Get a free Spotify account (you can listen at your computer) or even better, subscribe then you can access all the music on your mobile and downloads…moreGet a free Spotify account (you can listen at your computer) or even better, subscribe then you can access all the music on your mobile and downloads the songs you love.(less)

Ingrid
Nov 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was a wonderful journey. I listened nearly every day and loved some of the new suggestions and disliked others.
Shelli
Jul 31, 2018 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Shelli by: Goodreads Giveaways
Although I'll rate and review it before then, don't expect me to finish this book for exactly 365 days from now, as I'm definitely using this book as intended – enjoying a single piece of music and its accompanying one-page write up each day! I'm hoping that between YouTube, Amazon Music, Hoopla, and my local library, I won't have too much trouble finding all the music referenced.
Lillian
Jul 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: essays, nonfiction
" . . .I believe that music holds the mystery of being alive. These pieces, some of which are just a few minutes long, can do so much with so little. They become friends, they become teachers, they become magic carpets. I feel, in the company of the greatest music, recognized, seen, held. Engines of empathy, they allow us to travel without moving into other lives, other ages, other souls."
Clemency Buron-Hill

Obviously, music and literature have everything in common. They are both universal langua
David Dunlap
Did not read this so much as skim it -- it is not what I was expecting. -- This book would make a GREAT gift to give someone who wants to learn about classical music or for the person who already loves classical but would like to expand his/her horizons. The selections touch most of The Greats, but there is a definite whiff of political correctness about the contents (although the inclusion of so many female composers is a definite plus).
Sebastian
Nov 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful book that makes you get acquainted with classical music in a fun way and not only from famous composers. Each day of the year one piece of classical music.
Sammy
Dec 11, 2018 rated it liked it
An interesting concept, and a good way to discover some great music (and some not so great too!). The book itself was interesting to begin with, but got a bit tedious as the year progressed. I finished the last couple of weeks in one go, so I can pass it on to someone else before the new year starts.
Timothy Langhorst
Feb 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
As I read this book, really got the sense of wonder Clemency Burton-Hill has for music. A book that either someone familiar or not familiar with classical music would enjoy. Am going back and reviewing entries a day at a time just for fun.
Chris
Dec 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: total-favorites
Want a present that’s a pleasure to the ear and the intellect? Give relatives and friends “Year of Wonder: Classical Music to Enjoy Day by Day.”
Add a subscription to a music-streaming service like Spotify, Pandora or Apple Music, and they’ll be able to create playlists of classical music suggested in Clemency Burton-Hill’s comprehensive and thoroughly pleasurable volume.
The Brit author, broadcaster, musician and journalist takes the guesswork out of what to listen to, suggesting one musical pi
Melissa
Oct 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First book finished for #readathon (I only had about 150p left). This is a really solid one-piece-per-day devotional, if you will, designed to dive deep into the classical music catalogue. A few of my favorites are missing (Rhapsody in Blue, where are you?? Enigma Variations? Any ballet music?) but there were a lot of new-to-me composers to explore (starting right away in January with Hildegard von Bingen). Burton-Hill has also very consciously tried to make an inclusive list to try and get outs ...more
Jenn Conwell
Oct 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
From my blog and instagram account - @livereadandprosper

Thank you so much to Harper Books for sending me a copy in exchange for my honest review.

This book is a devotional for classical music. Every day is a piece of classical music that you can listen to and enjoy. A small written note by Celemency herself (a famous and talented musician) is written about each piece that shows her love of music and wealth of knowledge.

I have gone few multiple pieces to listen to and have been in love with every
Madeline J. Rose
Apr 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: biography, cover-love, ya
Mini Review
You perhaps don't know this about me, but I LOVE classical music. I love playing it, listening to it, the history behind it, all that good stuff. So when I heard about this book, I was all over it. I checked it out from my library and I LOVED IT. The song selections were WONDERFUL, I loved getting to learn about little tidbits of history behind the composers and their pieces, and for me, listening to classical music is just so relaxing and cleansing. Even if you aren't into classica
Victoria Wood
Nov 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Full Overview, Review and Commentary over on my blog - https://girlwithnoselfie.com/year-of-...

You don’t need a background in music to enjoy this one, just an open mind, open ears, and an interest in learning more. YEAR OF WONDER by Clemency Burton-Hill introduces you to one piece of music each day for the whole year pulling from across genres, time periods, countries and composers.

I have not read this book in its entirety as I’m reading a page or two a day, and listening to this music as I go a
Suzanne
Feb 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is amazing book with spotify playlist available. Wonderful stories accompany the musical choices for each day of the year. Truly a gift! Very deliberate choice of the pieces due to historical facts for many of the selections. The author is a wealth of information. Just a delightful part of each day!
Mnisbet
Disappointed. I want to listen to the piece of the day each day but it turns out you have to pay for Apple Music. Even if you do that, you get a “playlist” that doesn’t tell you which day you’re on or how to hear only the one piece at a time. Classic case of bait and switch, and computer complexity.
Matt Watkinson
If you want to discover new classical music to listen to, look no further. Accessible enough for the absolute beginner, yet diverse enough to warrant attention from the most ardent fan, this really is a great book.
Leslie King
Aug 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, to-suggest
I haven't read the whole book, but I am working through it. I love knowing a place to start with classical music. I pull up a musical listening website or app, start with the song listed, and pick an album or play list with the song included.
Happy to keep going with it
Desigrey14
Jan 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Me ha encantado, tanto las explicaciones que nos da la autora como las canciones. Nunca he sido muy fan de la música clásica pero gracias a este libro, he descubierto piezas preciosas y tengo que agregar un estilo de música más a mis gustos ^^
Ema
Apr 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
An unexpected surprise! Most of the pieces presented are recognizable classics, but every once in a while a superb unfamiliar piece will pop up that will absolutely astound. The accompanying stories are interesting as well. I love it for bringing into the spotlight music you would otherwise not be exposed to.
Miss Clark
Jan 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: music

It is a wonderful idea and I really liked the historical bits that she included with the song recommendation for the day. My only qualm was how was one supposed to track down all the music? Youtube? I feel like a cd/ mp3 or playlist should have been included or linked to for the book.
David Worsfold
Mar 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
this book presents a wonderful excuse to explore pieces of music that your have never come across before or have long forgotten. The short, insightful explanations for the daily choices are very informative.
Donal Elder
I’m going through my vinyl classical collection and have located many of the suggestions. Enjoying it so far, though I only purchased it a couple of days back.
natalie
Mar 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I had to return my copy to the library. Worth buying. Love this and the corresponding Spotify playlists.
Mehrunnisa
Feb 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This made me discover a breadth of classical music. I love that Spotify has pre-created lists that allowed me to listen and read.
Mary
Mar 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful way to be introduced to classical music.
Satine Dali
Feb 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
interesting idea, informative but also entertaining. great playlist
Hapzydeco
Mar 27, 2019 rated it liked it
If you believe that music enhances your life, this daily dose might be for you. However while this playlist Includes a piece for every day of the year (365), there is no music is included.
Lorraine
Mar 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: classical music fans, beginner or expert
I bought this for my husband for his birthday, he loves classical music but isn't an aficionado so this book is perfect for all levels of interest.
GONZA
Jun 18, 2018 rated it liked it
A little piece of classical music for every day of the year with some explanation and the best purpose or situation according to the author. It was a way to find out new music, but it is a real pity that there is only the apple link to the music.

Un brano di musica classica per ogni giorno dell'anno, corredato da una breve spiegazione e dai consigli dell'autore per meglio gustarlo. Un modo simpatico per scoprire nuova musica, peccato che però ci sia solo il link all'apple store e non uno a spotif
Stephen Lewis
Oct 06, 2018
C
Mar 13, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Chilled: How Refrigeration Changed the World and Might Do So Again
  • Angelic Music: The Story of Benjamin Franklin's Glass Armonica
  • The Air Loom Gang: The Strange and True Story of James Tilly Matthews and His Visionary Madness
  • Radical Happiness: Searching for Moments of Collective Joy
  • Curtain Up: Agatha Christie: A Life in the Theatre
  • A Simplified Map of the Real World
  • Mathematics and Art: A Cultural History
  • We the Navigators
  • Echolocation
  • Motherhood Smotherhood: Fighting Back Against the Lactivists, Mompetitions, Germophobes, and So-Called Experts Who Are Driving Us Crazy
  • Vivian Maier: A Photographer’s Life and Afterlife
  • Where the Wild Winds Are: Walking Europe's Winds from the Pennines to Provence
  • New Old World: An Indian Journalist Discovers the Changing Face of Europe
  • The Liberation Trilogy Boxed Set
  • Exceptional People: How Migration Shaped Our World and Will Define Our Future
  • Søren Kierkegaard: A Biography
  • The Moment: Wild, Poignant, Life-Changing Stories from 125 Writers and Artists Famous & Obscure
  • Tropic of Squalor: Poems
lemency Margaret Greatrex Burton (born 1 July 1981) is an English actress, novelist, musician, journalist and radio presenter.[