Start by marking “Sayonara, Mr. Fatty!: A Geek's Diet Memoir” as Want to Read:
Sayonara, Mr. Fatty!: A Geek's Diet Memoir

Sayonara, Mr. Fatty!: A Geek's Diet Memoir

3.26  ·  Rating details ·  19 Ratings  ·  5 Reviews
In this uplifting memoir, famous Japanese pop culture "Geek" Toshio Okada tells of the diet and lifestyle changes he made in his fight against obesity, and how his public perception dramatically improved as a result of his healthier appearance.

Toshio Okada lost 110lbs in one year, without the use of funky dieting techniques or exercises, using nothing but a notepad. He rec
Published July 14th 2009 by Vertical (first published November 18th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Sayonara, Mr. Fatty!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sayonara, Mr. Fatty!

Lisa
Jun 09, 2011 rated it liked it
It's a memoir! It's a diet! It's a diet memoir! This little book is entertaining until he gets to the nitty-gritty of his "Recording Diet" plan. Then, it's just another diet book. I do believe there is value for dieters in writing down ("Recording") every single thing you eat all day long. But the best thing about this book is his no-holds-barred language: "fatso", "fatty" "fat""Fat" "FAT"!
Samantha
Apr 25, 2011 rated it it was ok
It was a quick read for the most part, but the author turned me off right from the beginning. I can't fault Okada to much for that since we are from two different cultures and what he views is quite different from me. Chugging through the book Okada had good ideas, but nothing that really stood out to me and made me want to try the "recording diet". His main catch is that it takes no willpower. Not true! I do not have the will power or the patience to write everyday, much less after everything I ...more
Kate
Nov 10, 2010 added it
Shelves: 2010
This isn't really a memoir, it's a diet book. It's surprisingly dry, advocating some fairly standard dieting methods, like recording everything you eat and only eating a portion of your food. It is mostly geared towards nerds who buy most of their food from convenience stores and have a lot of weight to lose, and who might enjoy comparing food consumption to the mechanisms of a jet engine. If you're hoping he'll reference GAINAX, be prepared for only a passing mention of Neon Genesis Evangelion. ...more
Christiane
Mar 01, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
I thought this was fiction when I requested it; I think a fictionalized account would have been more fun. It was interesting looking at weight loss from the perspective of a different culture, though even after reading the book I'm not sure how a self-described "fatty" (who loves food and hates to exercise) actually managed to drop all those pounds.
Inge B
May 16, 2013 rated it liked it
Surprised by the sheer amount of food I consumed daily upon following his recording method!
Dawn Rutherford