Start by marking “The Unkillable Kitty O'Kane” as Want to Read:
The Unkillable Kitty O'Kane

The Unkillable Kitty O'Kane

When fiery and idealistic Kitty O’Kane escapes the crushing poverty of Dublin’s tenements, she’s determined that no one should ever suffer like she did. As she sets out to save the world, she finds herself at the forefront of events that shaped the early twentieth century. While working as a maid, she survives the sinking of the Titanic. As a suffragette in New York’s Gree ...more
Published December 1st 2017 by Lake Union Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Unkillable Kitty O'Kane, please sign up.
Carmen Gil No,,Kitty is a combination of characters. The story is easy to read and enjoyable .

Lisa
Nov 09, 2017 rated it it was ok
*Received this book in a Goodreads giveaway for free*

The title and cover image are terribly misleading. I thought this would be a story about a woman who strengthens and grows over the course of the novel, who triumphs in the end. Instead, Kitty runs away from a horrific home life in Dublin and become a stewardess for White Star Lines. Thus, she is on the Titanic and survives it's sinking. It's on that ship where she meets two men who will influence the next 15 years of her life, in very differe
Erin
Apr 01, 2018 rated it liked it
Audiobook performed by Alana Kerr Collins 9h 42m

Performance is a 4 star

My listening enjoyment -solid 3 stars.

A sweeping story surrounding a fictional Irishwoman named Kitty O'Kane who had a front row seat during many events in 20th century Europe. Kitty, herself, was a very difficult character to like as she seemed a bit of a whiner. Colin Falconer knows how to set the tone and make sure his situations ring true, but goodness couldn't he have toughened his protagonist up a bit?
Amanda Helling
Nov 19, 2017 rated it did not like it
The premise of this novel intrigued me & I was able to purchase a Kindle edition for a few dollars. I was wildly disappointed by the book.

It was featured in an email from Amazon and I wanted a book to read. The summary indicated it would be a story about a strong woman who faced down adversity and went on adventures. Instead it was a strong girl who grows into a woman buffeted about by horrible men. It is exactly what I feared would come of a man writing a strong woman character: it was full
Tonya
Nov 09, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I get really tired of all the authors using bad language. While a good story, I didn’t even want to finish the book due to bad language. Granted, I have been going through kind of a dry spell and finding things to read. As my eyesight fades, I have to think about how I’m going to read. I am always interested in other peoples ideas of what is a good Kindle book.
Judy
Nov 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
I got the book as a kindle first book of the month. The historical events and time period intrigued me, as did the potential of one character witnessing so many of them.
Kitty is not your typical heroine. She does not have a lot of tools to change her initial situation. She uses the tools that she can to remove herself from the slums and continues to do so throughout the book. Many people find fault with the way she is attached to men who are bad for her throughout the book, yet she uses them al
Abigail
I want to be able to say that I loved this book. I want so badly to be able to say that. But I can't. Which is so disappointing.
Here we have a hisfic about an absolutely fascinating idea - a woman who survives not only the Titanic, but also the Lusitania, the whole Bolsheviks situation, and the Irish Civil War. Now, I thought Kitty was a real person. I was wrong, which is also sad. But the book is still really cool in concept.
Unfortunately, there was so much language and so many sex scenes tha
Mary Schatz
I've read a number of books lately with intrepid young women in the early 1900's finding their way in the world. I've really enjoyed novels about these pioneering women (Radio Girls, The Secret Life of Violet Gray, Lilac Girls) I expected this book to be similar, but it really isn't. Kitty O'Kane is presented as a feisty, smart, unconventional young woman. I guess she sort of is? She follows around unconventional men. But, she is always with and dependent on a man. She doesn't really even have t ...more
Tawni Winns
Nov 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a life!

Bad luck seemed to follow this girl like a shadow. She wanted so badly to leave her mark on the world and she did but just not in the way that she imagined. Her whole life she had all of these near misses, she could never get things to come together the way she wanted it. I admire her gumption to keep pressing forward in situations when someone else would have given up.
Becky
Jan 15, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love historical fiction. Let me say again, I love historical fiction! I am a free thinker who loves the concept of democratic socialism and appreciated how women's suffrage and revolutions were treated as ideas in the novel. Kitty O'Kane was a very engaging narrator and a delightful conversationalist. Every time she really got into a conversation with another character I knew it was going to be good. The concept of this book is unique in its way and I was excited to read it.

So much about this
Irene
Dec 08, 2017 rated it liked it
"Kitty O'Kane dreamed of a kind husband and a just life; what she had was haddock water for supper and a dribble of her own blood, seen at close quarters, on the toe of her father's scuffed boot"

Heartbreaking stuff am I right? It pulled me in and had such high hopes for Kitty, but somewhere around the halfway point it all fell apart for me. From a bright, poverty stricken Irish girl with a simple dream that she could have easily achieved Kitty changed into someone I just didn't like very much. A
Mary Barrett
Nov 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Five stars

This book has been an adventure, from the beginning, to the end. From the terrible poverty and abusive father in the Irish Slums of Dublin, to working for the White Star line aboard the Titanic, Kitty O'Kane lead a whale of a life. Colin Falconer does a good job leading us through trauma, and terror of her life. Of course, the silver lining we all hope for is there for rescue, if she will only grab for it... Well written and well edited!
Nicole Jackson
Apr 15, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: d-n-f
I never actually finished this. I became bored and frankly, forgot about it until I realized id never cleared it out on Goodreads. I suppose that says something.
Samantha (AK)
Jan 21, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Samantha (AK) by: Judy
Every month, Amazon sends out it's "kindlefirst" books, and most months they're pretty disappointing. I can't actually remember what the other options were the month that this one found its way into my library, but it ended up being a decent read.

Kitty O'Kane is unkillable--not untouchable. She finds herself in one bad situation after another, many by circumstance, some by her own decisions. Careening from disaster to disaster, she finds handholds where she can, often in bad men who bring their
Laura Macy
Jan 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
A little far fetched, and so I actually give it a 3.8.
Shirley C
This is one book I sincerely wish I had read the end before the beginning. I simply could not find Kitty O'Kane believable. Out the slums of Ireland, survived the Titantic sinking, met a man who took her all over the world during a time when the world was truly in Revolution.
She survived wars, both military and personal, while developing the ambition to be a writer because her lover and mentor (of sorts) both encouraged and discouraged her. And she did write, no thanks to him. At one point she
Karen Thompson
Nov 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A takeoff about two real journalists who wrote about wars in the early 1900's, this book was extremely interesting in so many ways. Kitty O'Kane grew up in an Irish household with an alcoholic, abusive father and all she ever wanted was to get away, and this she did. She worked as a maid on the Titanic where she met a journalist who asked her to join him as he covered different wars of the time. This led her to faraway places and unbelievable living conditions. I enjoyed reading about the Europe ...more
Edgar Guedez
Dec 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing Kitty

Kitty O'Kane is born in a shanty neighborhood of Dublin and has to put up with an abusive father. Tired of it, she escapes with a sailor and finds her way into a stewardess job on board the Titanic. From there, she goes unscathed through two ship sinking , and follows a war correspondent all over eastern Europe, pursuing the ideal of a new world order that would bring justice and equality to women. But she takes time to realise that changing the world and finding truce love is not a
Staci
Feb 09, 2018 rated it it was ok
Everything about this book is awkward, from the abrupt dialogue to the spastic plot. Does the author want us to relive choppy segments of history, feel compassion for the many randomly inserted references to the suffrage movement, or the illusions to the plight of the lower class, or are we to cheer on Kitty’s resilience through her many self inflicted hardships? The characters are neither endearing or villainous. I won’t be recommending this one to anyone.
Rbucci
Feb 05, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book had a great start and then it just dragged and dragged. I realize the author fashioned the book after a couple of real people, but I had a hard time reading her perspective of how they behaved. I didn't find the protagonist compelling or uplifting. I found her life to be somewhat depressing, and for someone who was fighting against being a certain kind of person, she was that person except in the very end.
Mandy meyer
Feb 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I could not put this book down!

I loved this story from the very beginning! Especially from the perspective of a woman and her life on the early 1900’s. Kitty O’Kane is a woman we can all look up to for her bravery, her adventures and her outspoken mouth!
Debbie Marinelli
This book gave me lots of information about controversial times through out history. The author took you through many time periods as you learned about Kitty O'Kane and how she tried to change the world. A must read if you like history.
Lori
Dec 06, 2017 rated it it was ok
Not what I expected in a survivor story. It was just okay...... not some thing I would recommend to put on your to read list.
Shereen
May 31, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
Writing was flat, characters didn't have a distinguishable voice. There was potential, and it never quite got there. I kept thinking it was mediocre YA lit (not that YA lit is mediocre by any means, just that this book was) until there was some graphic-ish sex. (pseudo spoiler: the sex scenes are also not very good. Don't read it for that.)

(view spoiler)
Joy
Jan 09, 2018 rated it liked it
Kitty O'Kane had the potential to be a very strong female character, but sadly the author didn't chose to allow her growth to occur. Instead, she followed her war correspondent boyfriend all over Eastern Europe. Was it because she loved him? No. It was because she wanted to be a part of the movement to help establish rights for women. Yet, she only seemed to dabble at writing newspaper articles to help that cause.

Spoiler Alert:
Her survival instincts helped her overcome childhood abuse, two ships
Peggy A. Miller
Sep 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
When you set out to right the world's wrongs, and satisfy your need for redemption, it sure helps to have incredible luck. Also a stubborn streak six miles wide. The protagonist, in this expansive, upbeat novel has all that and more. Kitty has an amazing ability to survive anything thrown at her.
Linden
Jun 24, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kristen C. Crawford
Unexpectedly entertaining!

I think I snagged this on Prime First Reads some months ago, but just got around to reading it. It was pretty entertaining! At first I thought it was going to be some socialist/feminist propaganda but that was not necessarily the case.
Shae Bright
Mar 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
From the beginning I was sure that this was going to be a 5 star. About page 150, it turned into a 3 for me. By the end it was back up to a 4 though.
NAOMI C. HIPWELL
Jan 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Pretty good actually. Loads of twists and turns and decisions regarding sympathy or disgust with Kitty. A very endearing person was Kitty.
Linda
Nov 07, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Liked it at the beginning...disliked it by the middle

I couldn't finish the book...too depressing and disappointing. I expected the heroine to be a strong independent character, after all she is referred to as the unkillable Kitty Okane is she not? Well by the middle of the book she was a winey female who kept following her lover,who she did not love, around the world letting him humiliate her over and over again. 3/4ths the way through I gave up! I loved the historical references and was hoping
Around the Year i...: The Unkillable Kitty O'Kane, by Colin Falconer 1 11 Jan 01, 2018 02:37PM

• Nicole (Sunfire, #19)
  • Throne
  • The Goddess Of Fortune
  • 25 Language Phrasebook
  • The Lady Series
  • The Diver (The Runner, #2)
  • City of Light (City of Mystery, #2)

I write crime fiction and historical fiction. I’ve published twenty-six novels so far, and been lucky enough to have them translated into 23 languages. Real ones too, not just Esperanto and cockney rhyming slang.

My favourite character is DI Charlie George, who you may have met if you’ve read Lucifer Falls. Charlie was originally named after our two spaniels, Charlie and George. Charlie is the ext
“Tom, you couldn’t punch the froth off a Guinness.” 1 likes
“I’ve drunk French champagne in a speakeasy and water out of a horse trough in Poland, and the thing that matters is not what I’m drinking but who I’m drinking with.” 0 likes