Start by marking “The Princess Game: A Reimagining of Sleeping Beauty (The Four Kingdoms Book 4)” as Want to Read:
The Princess Game: A Reimagining of Sleeping Beauty (The Four Kingdoms Book 4)

The Princess Game: A Reimagining of Sleeping Beauty

(The Four Kingdoms #4)

They call her the Sleeping Princess, but Celeste is far from asleep…

Celeste has been cursed since her sixteenth birthday--just not in the way the rest of the kingdom thinks. All they see is her breath-taking beauty, marred by her foolishness. Only she knows that she retains her brilliant mind. And it’s a secret she must keep at all costs.

Over the years she’s grown accu
Published June 9th 2017 by Luminant Publications

To ask other readers questions about The Princess Game, please sign up.
Karsyn Shae “No mourners. No funerals.”~The Crows You should read them in order otherwise you will get slightly confused also you could get a spoiler you don't want! So I'd say read them in order

Pamela(AllHoney)
The fourth book in The Four Kingdoms series by Melanie Cellier. Princess Celeste of Lanover is cursed. On her 16th birthday the cursed took effect and Celeste "went to sleep". But it was only her mind that slept. To all around her she appears to be foolish and oblivious to her surroundings. But Celeste's mind isn't really gone. She is able to move around the castle in disguise and gather intel to hopefully keep her country safe. When her brother and his bride return from Northhelm, they bring the bride' ...more
Kristen Kooistra
Feb 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Celeste is Cordelia's(from book 3.5) older sister and after Cordelia was my favorite FMC of this series. I really like where the author went with her retelling. Celeste is super smart and beautiful. Unlike in the original, it's not her body that sleeps, but her mind. And even that isn't quite true. Celeste is still super smart, but the curse prevents her from sharing that. Any hint of her intelligence is severely pushed by the curse. Her body language and words have to be carefully regulated so ...more
Tenille Berezay
Sep 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved the premise: the princess is cursed not to fall asleep physically, but mentally (at least everyone thinks she's lost her mind). Meanwhile, she's actually the kingdom's spy master, cursed to hide her intelligence from everyone around her as she attempt to protect her kingdom. Check this one out!
J.M. Stengl
What a clever way to allow the "sleeping beauty" to be an action heroine! This Four Kingdoms story includes the usual cast of lovable characters and evil villains, an exciting adventure tale, and a mystery to be solved. Also a sweet romance.
Don't miss it!
Megan Olguin
Jan 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My favorite of this series! All these books are very fairytale. Happy ever afters and predictable endings... but sometimes a simple, cute series is what you need! Also, I am incredibly impressed by the beautiful way the author retells a classic fairytale in a way all her own.(This book especially.)
Camille
The Princess Game is a clever reimagining of “Sleeping Beauty” set in Melanie Cellier's lush Four Kingdoms world. The beautiful and extremely intelligent Princess Celeste of Lanover is cursed, not with physical sleep but instead with the appearance that her shrewd mind is asleep; the curse prevents her from sharing her intelligence, making it appear to everyone around her that she’s foolish. She can only show her true self when alone or in disguise and soon creates an alter-persona of a master spy named Aur ...more
Jill
Another delightful retelling from this talented author, this one filled with action and adventure like the others, and plenty of fun romance. These books are quick reads and just plain fun.
Recommended for lovers of action-packed tales with sweet romance and likable characters in a well-developed fantasy world.
Nicole
Feb 06, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm pretty torn between "Liked it" and "It was ok." This book had some great things going for it. The twist on Sleeping Beauty is awesome. I'm sure you know what it is already, so no need to rehash it. I've never really liked the Sleeping Beauty story . . . and Melanie Cellier's plot actually made it interesting. There's a nice 'moral of the story' at the end too.
What damaged my enjoyment of it was the few (though significant) plot holes I came across. Some characters made decisions/had thought
Raquel Evans
Scarlet Pimpernel meets Sleeping Beauty. I really enjoyed this story, and in a strange sort of way, found it relatable.
Lexie
Feb 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle-unlimited
I'm seriously reading these so out of order...so Celeste is Celine's older sister (Celine who joined the twins for their adventures across the sea and the Princess Tourney). Vague mentions had been made in the other books, but this was a treat.

Spies! Dual identity, clever princes and even more clever princesses! Family plots and scheming! True love!

This had it all. Though I did end up disliking Celine in this. Maybe because it's set 4 years prior to when the twins and her
Eleanor M.
Aug 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
THE PRINCESS GAME a retelling of sleeping beauty.
Princess Celeste is smart, but sadly a curse keeps her wonder mind hidden, finding any way to help the kingdom she can she makes a secret spy ring and soon comes across a plot that will take all that she work for away.
the tale will take the sleeping princess, Celeste to tropical islands, were she will face her night mare, the one who cursed her when she was but a baby, her aunt...
can she forgive her, or will she chose to destroy her.<
Shari Branning
Jul 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Sleeping Beauty? Try The Scarlett Pimpernel. This had more in common with that story than with the classic fairy tale-- but that's okay! Honestly, I've never been a fan of Sleeping Beauty in any of its retellings. The Princess Game had a lot of nods to the fairy tale, but its substance, and the character herself, reminded me SO much of the Scarlett Pimpernel.

Super cute, like the others in the series, and probably my favorite so far.
Lisa Dawn
Apr 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I completed The Princess Game: A Reimagining of Sleeping Beauty in record time, solidifying my current obsession with Melanie Cellier's fairy tale princess books. This is the last book in her Four Kingdoms series, but not the last to take place in Melanie's extended princess universe. The Beyond the Four Kingdoms series is still in progress, which means there will be plenty of new literature to look forward to in this realm of fairy godmothers and suspense. However, this book still marks the end ...more
Marci
Feb 04, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Instead of Sleeping Beauty going to sleep on her 16th birthday, this tale has the princess Celeste fall under a curse that makes her appear to have lost her mind, or more specifically, to have become a mental and emotional child. However, she retains her intelligence and, indeed, is one of the most intelligent women in the kingdom. She finds a way around the curse, which does not allow her to reveal her true mind to anyone, by going undercover at night when nobody guesses Celeste is not safe in ...more
Annette
Mar 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sleeping Beauty is a tale that has always been close to my heart, but that's been hard to retell. Mostly because no one actually wants a main character asleep during the most important part of the book: the finale. This book, and Melanie Cellier, has found the perfect solution to this problem though and that resulted in a beautiful story about a girl who had to be twice as clever, because the outside world believes she's not clever at all.

In the first book of the series we already me
Shruti
Jun 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
(I received a digital copy of the book. Thanks to Melanie Cellier!!)

I'm in love with this final book just as I had been with the other ones. Infact I felt a little more attached to this one. I guess it has something to do with it being the last one in the series. I'm delighted that a new series of beyond the four kingdoms is coming up. Its always hard to say goodbye....

This book is great and I have liked William since the last book. His name is just suiting of a prince. C
Angela
Feb 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked the story it had all the special moments of the fairy tale that we all knew but the characters are spunky, and the sleep we all know about has a different meaning this time. This time the story focuses on Princess Celeste and Prince William (who is the brother of the main character from the previous story) and we're shown a new kingdom. I liked Celeste more then the last book's main character and found her to be a good character, she was feminine and able to enjoy it without reall ...more
Kim  Gregory
Jul 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a very interesting version of Sleeping Beauty. I really liked Melanie's take on it. I liked that Celeste had her intelligence intact within her and was working for the safety of her country and no one in her family had any inkling of it as she was the air head on the outside they all believed her to be. Aurora was a wonderful surprise - Celeste's freedom to be her true self without the curse stopping her, and her beauty not getting in her way. She could work to help her country by being ...more
Mallory
***Edit: I guess I am the only person who wasn't fond of this book. I don't get why every review is "5STARS! BEST BOOK EVA!!" So as a peace offering, I'm changing the rating from 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 stars.

2 and a half stars *1/2

What a load of garbage.

After the good first two books and the OK third book in this series, it baffled me just how bad this one is.

You'd think this book would be good after all the build-up of Celeste's curse in previous books. But NOPE! OF
Jayne
May 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jassa
Jul 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Now this! This is what I love! What a twist! I have wanted to know about Celeste ever since she had shown up. Though I will admit to not giving her much attention in the Princess Companion. Anyways, a cursed princess? Well, how is she cursed? She's the prettiest princess. That can't be a curse?! Well, it seems to be her mind. They say it's sleeping...sort of like she turned stupid...only not quite that either.

So Princess Celeste has been cursed to act as if she was missing one too ma
Veronica T
May 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book has an intriguing twist to a familiar fairytale; and also possibly one of the best written romances out of any in the Four Kingdom books. While I have couples I enjoyed watching fall in love better in other books written by Melanie Cellier, the romance in this one is undeniably interesting: the male interest is caught between being attracted towards the mysterious Aurora and the beautiful Celeste, who, unbeknown to him, is the same person.
This book also had a deep and beautiful m
Denise
Aug 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Intrigue abounds

Another wonderful story with slight nods to the original. I love the action and the adept princesses in this story. Celeste and Celine have a lovely, close relationship and it is wonderful how it is woven into the fabric of the story.

I also loved the imagery of the dragon. I am not sure if all of the twists from this story have been revealed yet. I love how parts of the story are woven together throughout the series, yet each book stands on it's own. But am over the
Billie Flaming
Jan 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very impressive tale.
Sleeping Beauty isn’t one of the fairy tales that is frequently retold, like Cinderella or Beauty and the Beast, but this retelling jumps those hurdles beautifully.
Twisting the “sleeping” to be all of Princess Celeste’s intelligence was a smart move, and the contrary actions between the two personas was fun and interesting to read.
I especially liked how the villain/evil godmother conflict was resolved. Lots of nuance is given to these characters, which I wasn’t expectin
Jules Pool
Feb 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I could not put this book down while I was reading it. As I’ve commented before, I love this series. It was a really sweet love story and the twist to sleeping beauty was really cool. Instead of falling into a deep sleep when she turned sixteen Celeste’s mind falls to sleep. But her fairy godmother made it where she can think but can’t share her smart thoughts out load. She has to be super girly and innocent or else she gets sharp pains, coughs, or headaches. So you can see the story is very int ...more
Jami
Nov 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
New take on an old tale

Celeste the Sleeping Princess isn't "sleeping", her curse is more mental than physical. She has found ways around her curse which how she became the postmaster Aurora. She uncovers a plot that could destroy her kingdom. With the help of the Prince, her network of spys, and her little sisters Celine, the plot thickens to unravel about her aunt who cursed her as a babe.

I think that the curse being of the mind was brilliant. I like how she able to work around
Rachel Brantley
Oct 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Nicely done!

I think the story of Sleeping Beauty is one of the most boring fairy tales aver written. But this retelling is the best I have ever read. The author really made this interesting by not having the princess actually asleep bit just having her mind/intelligence asleep. I love the way she incorporated her alter ego Aurora as a spy. I also like how the princess wasn't a helpless floozy waiting to be saved. I stayed up and read this late into the night until I finished it...Looking for
Rachel Robins
May 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've totally been burning through Cellier novels. I'm in a fairytale phase and I think this has been my favorite one so far. "The Princess Game" is a retelling of Sleeping Beauty--but inside of literal slumber, she's asleep in her mind--appearing clueless to the kingdom, but inside, there is an incredibly intelligent girl trying to work around the curse. It's a really unique spin on the original and I loved it! Fun to see so many characters from all the books come together and I appreciated the ...more
Julie
Jun 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I have loved each story in this series, but this one was my favorite! So good and so well written! I love the clever reimagining and the characters, the humor, the romance, the adventure. I was snatching every moment possible I to read this story.

I also love that she proves you can write a great story without sex and bad/foul language. That is true talent!

There is only one bad thing about this books and the rest......they end! I want more! I will be impatiently waiting more of Mela
Leah Feltner
Dec 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yay, I finished the series! Lol This final book was interesting and entertaining even though the curse was a little annoying or confusing at times. Also, it was a little unbelievable that if Celeste covered her face, except her eyes, that Prince William or even her sister couldn’t recognize her. Lol Kind of like Superman and Clark Kent. ;)
But, overall, I enjoyed the whole series and liked the spin the author took on the different fairytales...and how she weaved them all together.
If you like cl
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Twelve Dancing Princesses  (Timeless Fairy Tales, #10)
  • The Spinner and the Slipper
  • Princess of Shadows (Fairy Tale Adventures, #1)
  • Audette of Brookraven (Eldentimber, #4)
  • The Remedy (Eyes of E'veria, #2)
  • Beauty and the Beast and the Enchantress
  • The Green-Eyed Prince (The Classical Kingdoms, #0.5)
  • A Beautiful Curse (Entwined Tales, #4)
  • Vampire Charming (Not Another Vampire, #2)
  • Once Upon a Happy Ending: An Anthology of Reimagined Fairy Tales
Melanie Cellier grew up on a staple diet of books, books and more books. And although she got older, she never stopped loving children’s and young adult novels. She always wanted to write one herself, but it took three careers and three different continents before she actually managed it.

She now feels incredibly fortunate to spend her time writing from her home in Adelaide, Australia where she ke

The Four Kingdoms (5 books)
  • The Princess Companion (The Four Kingdoms, #1)
  • The Princess Fugitive: A Reimagining of Little Red Riding Hood (The Four Kingdoms, #2)
  • The Princess Pact: A Twist on Rumpelstiltskin (The Four Kingdoms, #3)
  • The Princess Search (The Four Kingdoms, #5)