Start by marking “Did My First Mother Love Me?: A Story for an Adopted Child” as Want to Read:
Did My First Mother Love Me?: A Story for an Adopted Child

Did My First Mother Love Me?: A Story for an Adopted Child

3.8  ·  Rating details ·  30 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
When young Morgan asks, "Did my first mother love me?" her adoptive mother reads her a letter written by Morgan’s birth mother. This birth mother’s love, concern, and caring for her child come through loud and clear as she explains the kind of life she wants for her child. Sadly, she explains, she cannot provide that life for her child, so she has given her a different set ...more
Published December 1st 1994 by Morning Glory Press (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Did My First Mother Love Me?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Did My First Mother Love Me?

Lori Smith
This is a great book to have in your classroom library. Students who are adopted will be able to relate to the book. It reassures students who have been adopted that they are loved. The book also shows a different type of family and that not all families have to look a certain way.
Ashley
Oct 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Title / Author / Publication Date:
Did My First Mother Love Me?: A Story for an Adopted Child / Miller, Kathryn Ann. Moffett, Jami (ill.) / 1994

Genre: Fiction

Format: Picture Book – print

Plot summary:
The story of a young girl named Morgan, who knows all about her adoption, but sometimes wonders about her “other mother.” When she asks, “Did my first mother love me?” her mother reads the letter her birthmother wrote to her. It also includes a section for parents about talking with their child about
Oanh
This third-person narrative is about an adopted child wondering if her birth mother loved her. The main character, Morgan, is a young girl who asks her adoptive mom to read to her the letter her "first mother" wrote to her after her mom reassures her that "of course (her first mother) did." Kathryn Ann Miller, who wrote this book with her own adopted daughter in mind, hoped that her daughter will find the answer in this book if/when she asks that question. By using age-appropriate language (ex. ...more
Cindi
Jan 02, 2012 rated it liked it
Morgan is a little girl who knows she is adopted. She asks her mom if her 'first mother' loved her. When her mother answers in the affirmative, Morgan asks to be read a letter her birth mother wrote to her.

Through the words of a young pregnant woman, the reader learns of the day Morgan's birth mother realized she was going to have a baby; how she felt the baby moving inside her and the difficult decision to find a family who could love and care for her. Morgan realizes she is loved by her adopt
Maureen
In this book, the girl asks her (adoptive) mother, "Did my first mother love me?" The mother answers by reading a letter written by the birth mother. This simple but loving book allows adopted children to see how they could be loved by two mothers. This is very domestic adoption specific, but could be used to discuss an international adoption as well.

The downside is that it does not cover any specific negative scenarios that are very likely to occur in adoptions. It poses a very basic adoption s
Cherina
Summary: Morgan knows that she is adopted and that her parents love her, but she wonders if her first mother loved her. Her adopted mother reads the letter that Morgan's birth mother wrote her. It describes how much she loved Morgan and all the things she wished for her child. Unfortunately, the birth mother could provide those things, but she still loves Morgan very much.

Uses: recommend to a parent if you see a child struggle with the issue

Literary Devices: repetition, varying voices, simile

Soc
Wendy
May 10, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: interested in the adoption relationship
Shelves: adoption
This is written from a First Mother (Birth Mother) to her child she placed for adoption. I loved the way it affirmed that she loved her child but wanted her child to have a different life than she could offer. This book validates First/Birth Mothers and depicts her has a champion for her child while showing some of the various emotions she feels during her pregnancy and at the thought of not being the one to raise her daughter.
Deb
Oct 22, 2009 rated it it was amazing
With the diversity of background in represented in the classrooms, I feel this is excellent to have in the classroom for those children who have this questions. It addresses the possibility that one day a child will ask Did My First Mother Love Me in hopes of carrying a positive life. Great read and illustration.
Esther
Dec 31, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mostly the whole text of the story comes from a letter written to the girl who has been adopted from her birth mother. It reassures the girl that she was loved by her first mother and shows some of the birth mother's experience in choosing adoption. It is not quite as detailed as The Mulberry Bird making this appropriate for younger children to early elementary age.
Megan Staten
I love this book. A lot of my sibling are adopted and this is always one of the first books we read to them. It really explains adoption and how even though their birth mothers are not there they still love them
Adoption Books
Jan 31, 2011 rated it liked it
this book is a letter from the birthmom to her baby, telling her about all the things she wished for her and how much she loved her. good book for when Haze has questions about her birthmom, to go with the emails and letters from Arlianne.
Jodi Young
A story written about a girl who wants to know if her birth mother loved her. Good for talking about family dynamics and adoption. Also, the story was written as a letter from the birthmother to the baby. I think this is an interesting technique that my students may use during writing.
Terri Travis