Start by marking “Other Words for Home” as Want to Read:

I am learning how to be
sad
and happy
at the same time.

Jude never thought she’d be leaving her beloved older brother and father behind, all the way across the ocean in Syria. But when things in her hometown start becoming volatile, Jude and her mother are sent to live in Cincinnati with relatives.

At first, everything in America seems too fast and too loud. The American movies
Published May 7th 2019 by Balzer + Bray

To ask other readers questions about Other Words for Home, please sign up.
Mara I don't know about that one but this one is written in verse.

megs_bookrack

Another character named JUDE!

I was just commenting on this the other day. There are so many characters lately with the name Jude. I have never, ever in my life, met someone with that name!

What gives?!
Shehzeen Muzaffar
Dec 16, 2018 marked it as to-read
More hijabi girls on the cover? Hell yeah
Clemlucian (🏳️‍🌈the villain's quest)
"I just want to live in a country where we can all have dinner again without shouting about our president or rebels and revolution."

Instagram | blog

4.25/5 stars

As someone who doesn't read a lot of middle-grade, I was surprised to read a book so vulnerable, raw and realistic about Islamophobia. I think it's incredible that children, these days, get to read more diverse books like this when they're growing up.

"Americans love labels. They help them know what to expect. Sometimes, though, I
Laura (bbliophile)
May 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019-releases
I guess dinner tonight will be seasoned with my tears
Tucker
inland
internal
Sarah Ressler Wright
Dec 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Sooo good. Although labeled MG, it reads for YA as well and especially as it’s written in verse, students will love it. The descriptions of food-fabulous! The metaphors and turns of phrase are fantastic and the themes of resilience and surviving to thriving so well done.

Phenomenal a must read for everyone!
Casey Lyall
Jan 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
So beautiful. This novel is an immersive, emotional experience. One of my favourite passages:

"There is an Arabic proverb that says:

She makes you feel

people.

The type of people
who help you
rise."

100% recommend it for any collection.

Thank you to the publisher for sending a copy for review.
Daniel
Jun 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Jasmine Warga
Balzer + Bray
352 pages
8.6 (Best New Book)

Other Words for Home is written from a perspective of an innocent Syrian teenager, but her naivety, amplified by her short verses, is an eye-opening experience as we learn what these refugees actually feel: scared, confused, but mostly hopeful.

It is not far-fetched to compare Jasmine Warga's latest effort, Other Words for Home, to the oeuvres of Jason Reynolds in Long Way Down or even Ellen Hopkins in Crank. They are writt
Thea’s Reading World 💛
If you’re a parent that wants to teach their child about islamophobia and how a Muslim girl might feel in America, then you should make your kid read this book, because it feels like such a good representation of that. I’m not a Muslim, nor an immigrant, but it still made me emotional.
Elysse
Dec 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Other Words for Home is one of those books that you read and know will go down in history. Much like The Hate U Give, this brilliant middle grade novel from writer Jasmine Warga touches on racism in America and the stigma surrounding being “other”.

Jude, a 12 year old girl from Syria, comes to America and has to learn what “home” is, and how to feel comfortable in this seemingly new world that she has inhabited. Her story, gut-wrenching and heartbreaking at times, is one that is utterly real and
theresa 🌸🥑
May 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Everyone needs to read Judes story 💜
AJ
May 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Honestly, books like this shouldn't be allowed to exist because they break my heart and make me cry a lot. Ugh.
Michele Knott
Fantastic.
I love the decision to make this a novel in verse. It felt so right as Jude tells her immigration story.
Mandi
This book is written in verse. The portagnast is a 12 year old girl from Syria who flees from her war torn country to America with her mother leaving behind her father and her brother. This book deals with the struggles and the heart ache of leaving everything you know behind and starting something knew and foreign in your life.

5⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Rachel Strolle
Aug 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019-mg, 2018-reads
brb sobbing
Kaitlyn
This was such a beautiful, immersive and emotional experience. I don't remember the last book I've read that was written in verse, but Other Words for Home really inspired me to look for more books written like it. I've read so many different stories related to migration and important social causes, and this is definitely one of the best.

Full review coming closer to release date on my blog!
Lili
Jun 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is so beautiful, I want to cry.
katayoun Masoodi
May 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children, ebook, favorites
Lucky. I am learning how to say it
over and over again in English.
I am learning how it tastes—
sweet with promise
and bitter with responsibility.

loved every moment of reading this book. can't recommend it enough.
Cindy
Apr 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I've been excited to read Jasmine Warga's debut middle grade, OTHER WORDS FOR HOME, ever since I first began seeing things about it. So many of my favorite things are wrapped together in this book: wrestles with identity, tight-knit family structures, a poignant examination of big issues, and a child who slowly flourishes as she finds her place in the community around her. And to top it all off, it's told in verse, one of my favorite formats! Warga's poetry is spare and beautiful, capturing perf ...more
Alexandra
Jan 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Jude and her family stuck with me long after reading - I am still rooting for her! Beautifully written in verse, Other Words for Home is a story that is powerful and enjoyable for children and adults alike. Simply put - a must read! Other Words for Home
Kelsey!
Review based on an ARC from Edelweiss Plus.

Oh MAN I needed this book right now.

It’s a heartfelt story about Jude, a Syrian girl who struggles to figure out her identity in America, as she feels torn between her new life and her old. Jude and her mother fled war-torn Syria while leaving behind her father and older brother, the latter of whom has disappeared to help empower the Syrian people and fight the corrupt government.

It’s a humanizing portrait for a group of people white America frequently
Shannon Thompson
Mar 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was lucky enough to get an arc of this brilliant middle grade novel, and I can't wait to see it release to the world. OTHER WORDS FOR HOME is an emotional, beautiful story about family, identity, and humanity. Jude is a protagonist everyone can learn from and love, and her story is an important one. "Other Words for Home" is also written in verse. Definitely recommended. I know this read will be a favorite at our library and local schools.
Kiki Cole
Oh my goodness, this is a book that I never knew I needed so much at this moment in time. I am so thankful to have had the chance to read this beautiful and riveting novel in verse about a Syrian girl who goes to America. I was flying through this novel and it only took me a few hours. For anyone that has ever been beat down and told they can’t, this book gives readers their can. Please get your hands on this novel ASAP!!
Jamie
Jan 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
What a lovely, lovely book. Just wonderful.
Raven Black
May 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While I immensely enjoyed this book it did not "hit me in the face, turned me around and kick me in the butt." I think what I was looking for was more of the current events mentioned (which attack was Jude mentioning, etc.) and maybe more interacting with her cousin. Perhaps a sequel might be nice that covers Jude's cousin viewpoint, or Jude's friend Layla. Perhaps even one from her parents point of view (a dual story) and possibly even one told from her brothers point of view. Great for ages 10 ...more
Alex Johnson
Jun 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Phemonally written. Jude's voice is vibrant and wistful as she navigates a new home and new challenges. I love how Warga explored Jude's feelings about learning English, making new friends, and Islamaphobia through verse. Highly recommend this cute yet pogniant middle grades read.
Jeanie Phillips
Jan 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely adored this middle grades novel written in verse.

When Jude's seaside town becomes unsafe, she and her mother flee Syria for the United States. Jude has to figure out how to be at home so far away from home, how to be true to herself while finding her place in America. Jude's nature is both reflective and spunky! I love how she sprinkles Arabic proverbs throughout, thinks critically about belonging, and extends empathy to even those it is hard to like.

Warga has written the perfect n
Kim
When I finished I wanted more but then I didn't. I was content with Jude's story. What a beautiful story it is. I cannot wait for it to come out into the wild and be shared with students and readers.
Jan 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Jude is a Syrian girl who travels to the U.S. with her mother to escape the war in their country. They have left family members behind and come to live with family Jude doesn't know, including a cousin who shares Jude's heritage but not her language or experiences. Warga shows how difficult it can be for Middle Eastern immigrants in the U.S. Not only are there language barriers and cultural differences with Americans, but often within their own circle too. Jude is a brave character, but she has ...more
Susan
Feb 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing

By Jasmine Warga

Thank you to the author @jassiewarga for the review copy of this book. All opinions are my own.

When I received this book, I immediately noticed author, Jason Reynolds, quote on the front of the book. “This is a necessary story. We’re lucky to have it in our world.” After reading this moving MG book, I so agree.

Jude lives in Syria with her Mama, Baba and her older brother. It’s the only home she’s ever known and it’s always been a happy one. But now the fighti
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• A Good Kind of Trouble
  • Catching a Storyfish
  • With the Fire on High
  • The Wise and the Wicked
  • When My Sister Started Kissing
  • Etched in Clay: The Life of Dave, Enslaved Potter and Poet
  • Searching for Super (Almost Super, #2)
  • Over the Moon
  • Hope and Other Punchlines
  • A Sprinkle of Spirits (Love Sugar Magic, #2)
  • The House of Months and Years
  • The Marriage Clock
  • The Size of the Truth (Sam Abernathy #1)
  • Summer of a Thousand Pies
  • The 14 Fibs of Gregory K.
  • Shouting at the Rain
  • Ordinary Girls
  • Hello Girls
Jasmine Warga is a writer from Cincinnati, Ohio who currently resides in Chicago, Illinois. She is the internationally bestselling author of My Heart and Other Black Holes and Here We Are Now. Her books have been published in over twenty-five countries and optioned for film. Her debut middle grade novel, Other Words For Home, will be published in Spring 2019. Jasmine lives in an apartment filled w ...more
“Lucky. I am learning how to say it
over and over again in English.
I am learning how it tastes—
sweet with promise
and bitter with responsibility.”
1 likes
“Hoping,
I’m starting to think,
might be the bravest thing a person can do.”
1 likes