Start by marking “Other Words for Home” as Want to Read:

I am learning how to be
sad
and happy
at the same time.

Jude never thought she’d be leaving her beloved older brother and father behind, all the way across the ocean in Syria. But when things in her hometown start becoming volatile, Jude and her mother are sent to live in Cincinnati with relatives.

At first, everything in America seems too fast and too loud. The American movies
Published May 7th 2019 by Balzer + Bray

·  5,142 ratings  ·  1,025 reviews

Start your review of Other Words for Home
Lala BooksandLala
Jun 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Perfection
Lola
Nov 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
A beautiful book, inside and out.
Shehzeen Muzaffar
Dec 16, 2018 marked it as to-read
More hijabi girls on the cover? Hell yeah
megs_bookrack

Another character named JUDE!

I was just commenting on this the other day. There are so many characters lately with the name Jude. I have never, ever in my life, met someone with that name!

What gives?!
Clemlucian (🏳️‍🌈the villain's quest)
"I just want to live in a country where we can all have dinner again without shouting about our president or rebels and revolution."

Instagram | youtube

4.25/5 stars

As someone who doesn't read a lot of middle-grade, I was surprised to read a book so vulnerable, raw and realistic about Islamophobia. I think it's incredible that children, these days, get to read more diverse books like this when they're growing up.

"Americans love labels. They help them know what to expect. Sometimes, though,
Laura (bbliophile)
May 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019-releases
I guess dinner tonight will be seasoned with my tears
may ❀
book #5 completed! for the contemporary-a-thon under the challenge of: "read a hard-hitting contemporary"
“There is an Arabic proverb that says:
She makes you feel
like a loaf of freshly baked bread.

rise.”

beautiful. so beautiful.

the cover, the prose, the metaphors, the young syrian girl trying to make sense of a new world and keep her identity, the strong sense of belonging that this book left me with.

well done, jasmine
in the bosom
inland
internal
Fafa's Book Corner
Review posted on Fafa's Book Corner!

Beware spoilers ahead!

Trigger Warning(s): Islamophobia, xenophobia, racism, discrimination, mention of war and physical violence, vandalism, and harassment.

Rep:Jude is Syrian. Sarah is American-Syrian. Grace is Korean. Ben is Chinese. Omar is Somali. Layla is American-Lebanese. Michelle and Miles are American.

Disclaimer:Other Words for Homewas read during The Theme Thieves November challenge Standalone.

I won this book in a giveaway hosted by the lovely
mindful.librarian ☀️
Stellar, breathtaking middle grade novel in verse. Adding to my 6th and 7th grade lit circle lists for next year!
Casey Lyall
Jan 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
So beautiful. This novel is an immersive, emotional experience. One of my favourite passages:

"There is an Arabic proverb that says:

like a loaf of freshly
baked bread.

rise."

100% recommend it for any collection.

Thank you to the publisher for sending a copy for review.
CW (The Quiet Pond) ✨
I choked up so many times reading this. Other Words for Home is just so incredibly beautiful, filled with some of the most stunning verses I have ever read.
An effortless favourite read of 2019.

- Told entirely in verse, the story follows Jude, a Syrian girl who, with her mother, escapes to America when things at home in Syria are growing tense, violent, and uncertain.
- This is a story about many things, but chief among them are about immigrating, regrowing roots, finding yourself, and the
Sarah Ressler Wright
Sooo good. Although labeled MG, it reads for YA as well and especially as it’s written in verse, students will love it. The descriptions of food-fabulous! The metaphors and turns of phrase are fantastic and the themes of resilience and surviving to thriving so well done.

Phenomenal a must read for everyone!

The audio is good, although the pronunciations are not quite in the region of Jordan Warga is using to set her characters' back story. The food descriptions make me hungry every time!!
Erin Kelly
Jan 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book is incredible. Seriously. I am hoping with my whole heart that it wins the Newbery or a Newbery Honor so it will get even more exposure and circulate through the hands of even MORE readers. There is so much to love about this book. I cherished every carefully placed word. Bravo, bravo.
Nina
Dec 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2019
Such a beautiful book!

instagram || my blog || twitter
Rachel León
Aug 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful, powerful novel definitely worth checking out.
Danielle
Oct 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: middle-grade-ya
"I am learning to be sad and happy at the same time." (p.49)

"Americans love labels. They help them know what to expect. Sometimes, though, I think labels stop them from thinking." (p.92)

"I wonder if it's exhausting to be a tree. To lose something, year after year, only to trust that it will someday grow back." (p.157)

Rian Henry
Nov 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed the fact that a lot of celebrities were mentioned.
Panna Fox
Jan 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I found this book on children's section. 8-12 it says. Wrong. I believe it should be 8-112. Everyone could benefit from reading "Other words for Home". I remember girls mentioning this book before. Karo @come.book , Ola @ksiazkowyfrik , maybe others. "Pretty cover" I thought and moved on. Even buying this was an accident: "Oh I remember you!" and went to the till. At home I discovered it is written as a poem. "Nice, lately I like this style". I read it in one night. Jude, the main character of ...more
Jenna Friebel
Jan 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
2020 Newbery honor, my committee year!
Anniek
Reading this, I was happy and sad at the same time. This is such a beautiful verse novel!

Rep: Syrian Muslim MC

CWs: war, islamophobia, racism, menstruation
Lata
Jul 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Lovely writing and a bold and smart main character, Jude, make this a great little story of a girl and her mother who leave Syria for safety in the US.
Jude encounters racism, not surprisingly, but she also finds kindness and friendship, and a great opportunity, as part of her school play, to act on a dream of hers.
There are constant reminders of the dangers for those still in Syria, as her father is still there, and her older brother is engaging in “radical activities” by opposing the repressive
Daniel
Jun 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Jasmine Warga
Balzer + Bray
352 pages
8.6 (Best New Book)

Other Words for Home is written from a perspective of an innocent Syrian teenager, but her naivety, amplified by her short verses, is an eye-opening experience as we learn what these refugees actually feel: scared, confused, but mostly hopeful.

It is not far-fetched to compare Jasmine Warga's latest effort, Other Words for Home, to the oeuvres of Jason Reynolds in Long Way Down or even Ellen Hopkins in Crank. They are
Mariam Elnaggar
Jul 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favourite-books
Very beautiful and necessary.
Nora
Jul 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: recommendations
I’m going to cry this is absolutely one of the most beautiful books I have ever read.

“I search every day for a clue about why I deserve
to be here in Aunt Michelle’s kitchen,
safe
and fed.
When so many others
just like me are not.

Lucky. I am learning how to say it
over and over again in English.
I am learning how it tastes—
sweet with promise
and bitter with responsibility.”

This book comes with such an important message and so many feelings all mixed together. I wish I could buy a copy for every person
Hannah's Library
This book is perfection. If you are going to read one YA/Teen book this year, I think it should be this one. Jude pours out her hopes and fears in such a candid way that some of the shortest passages simply took my breath away. Jude represents the immigrant experience of so many people today and she has a very important story to tell. This book reminded me a lot of another book called Amina's Voice by Hena Khan that has similar themes. My full review can be found here: ...more
ash ronnel
Oct 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I read this on the plane today and it was beautiful! It was such a wholesome, powerful read. RTC!
Elysse
Dec 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Other Words for Home is one of those books that you read and know will go down in history. Much like The Hate U Give, this brilliant middle grade novel from writer Jasmine Warga touches on racism in America and the stigma surrounding being “other”.

Jude, a 12 year old girl from Syria, comes to America and has to learn what “home” is, and how to feel comfortable in this seemingly new world that she has inhabited. Her story, gut-wrenching and heartbreaking at times, is one that is utterly real and
Phil Jensen
Sep 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Gentle and enjoyable.

I loved the beginning portions of the book. Warga did a great job of introducing a relatable character and having the reader experience changes along with her.

Warga's poetry is not as creative or stunning as, say Skila Brown's, but it is still effective in painting a picture in a small number of words. Her strongest skill is probably in choosing small but telling details that cause the reader to paint a bigger picture.

I felt like the book lost steam a bit as it went along.
Mandi1082
This book is written in verse. The portagnast is a 12 year old girl from Syria who flees from her war torn country to America with her mother leaving behind her father and her brother. This book deals with the struggles and the heart ache of leaving everything you know behind and starting something knew and foreign in your life.

• Look Both Ways: A Tale Told in Ten Blocks
  • Queen of the Sea
  • Some Places More Than Others
  • My Jasper June
  • Planet Earth Is Blue
Jasmine Warga is a writer from Cincinnati, Ohio who currently resides in Chicago, Illinois. She is the internationally bestselling author of My Heart and Other Black Holes and Here We Are Now. Her books have been published in over twenty-five countries and optioned for film. Her debut middle grade novel, Other Words For Home, will be published in Spring 2019. Jasmine lives in an apartment filled ...more
“There is an Arabic proverb that says:
She makes you feel
like a loaf of freshly baked bread.

rise.”
16 likes
“Hoping,
I’m starting to think,
might be the bravest thing a person can do.”
12 likes