Start by marking “Other Words for Home” as Want to Read:

I am learning how to be
sad
and happy
at the same time.

Jude never thought she’d be leaving her beloved older brother and father behind, all the way across the ocean in Syria. But when things in her hometown start becoming volatile, Jude and her mother are sent to live in Cincinnati with relatives.

At first, everything in America seems too fast and too loud. The American movies
Published May 7th 2019 by Balzer + Bray

·  9,236 ratings  ·  1,708 reviews

Start your review of Other Words for Home
Lala BooksandLala
Jun 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Perfection
Cristina Monica
A beautiful book, inside and out.
Shehzeen Muzaffar
Dec 16, 2018 marked it as to-read
More hijabi girls on the cover? Hell yeah
Reading_ Tam_ Ishly
Jun 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
The story is told from the perspective of Jude who had to leave Syria with her mother to America due to the uncertain situation rising up in her hometown, leaving her father, older brother, her best friend and her relatives behind.

The themes handled in this book are coming of age; family bond; and most importantly the discrimination and the cultural differences which the immigrants have to face in another country.

I appreciate how the adults and the education system were represented as. It's rati
Britt / Basically Britt
May 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020
Wow. Wow. Wow.
megs_bookrack

Another character named JUDE!

I was just commenting on this the other day. There are so many characters lately with the name Jude. I have never, ever in my life, met someone with that name!

What gives?!
Clem (the villain's quest)
"I just want to live in a country where we can all have dinner again without shouting about our president or rebels and revolution."

Instagram | youtube

4.25/5 stars

As someone who doesn't read a lot of middle-grade, I was surprised to read a book so vulnerable, raw and realistic about Islamophobia. I think it's incredible that children, these days, get to read more diverse books like this when they're growing up.

"Americans love labels. They help them know what to expect. Sometimes, thou
Laura (bbliophile)
May 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019-releases
I guess dinner tonight will be seasoned with my tears
Anya
This was such an important story, I really loved it!
may ❀
book #5 completed! ✔ for the contemporary-a-thon under the challenge of: "read a hard-hitting contemporary"
“There is an Arabic proverb that says:
She makes you feel
like a loaf of freshly baked bread.

rise.”

beautiful. so beautiful.

the cover, the prose, the metaphors, the young syrian girl trying to make sense of a new world and keep her identity, the strong sense of belonging that this book left me with.

well done, jasmi
Krista Regester
Jun 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The way to my heart is in verse.
Em
Mar 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
"I'm learning how to be sad and happy at the same time."
Admittedly, I can be a bit shallow from time to time, and pick up a book simply because of the gorgeous cover. But, um, can you blame me?? Look at it!! Plus, it's a MG novel told in verse, so even if I decided it wasn't really my thing, it wouldn't take me super long to read.

Fortunately, this book was every bit as exceptional as I hoped it would be. It's a very lovely story about a twelve year old Syrian girl adjusting to life in America,
Tina
May 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is a middle grade book that is about a young Arabic girl just trying to find her place in American. The main character is Jude. Jude comes to American with her mother, but leaves her brother and her Dad in her home country. I think this is a great book that teaches us you should not judge people by where they come from or look like. I really did not know if I would like this book, but I loved it.
mindful.librarian ☀️
Stellar, breathtaking middle grade novel in verse. Adding to my 6th and 7th grade lit circle lists for next year!
Fafa's Book Corner
Review posted on Fafa's Book Corner!

Beware spoilers ahead!

Trigger Warning(s): Islamophobia, xenophobia, racism, discrimination, mention of war and physical violence, vandalism, and harassment.

Rep: Jude is Syrian. Sarah is American-Syrian. Grace is Korean. Ben is Chinese. Omar is Somali. Layla is American-Lebanese. Michelle and Miles are American.

Disclaimer: Other Words for Home was read during The Theme Thieves November challenge Standalone.

I won this book in a giveaway hosted by the lovely
Tucker  (TuckerTheReader)
internal

| Goodreads | Blog | Pinterest | LinkedIn | YouTube | Instagram
Casey Lyall
Jan 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
So beautiful. This novel is an immersive, emotional experience. One of my favourite passages:

"There is an Arabic proverb that says:

like a loaf of freshly
baked bread.

rise."

100% recommend it for any collection.

Thank you to the publisher for sending a copy for review.
Erin Kelly
Jan 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book is incredible. Seriously. I am hoping with my whole heart that it wins the Newbery or a Newbery Honor so it will get even more exposure and circulate through the hands of even MORE readers. There is so much to love about this book. I cherished every carefully placed word. Bravo, bravo.
Fadwa (Word Wonders)
CW: Islamophobia, islamophobic hate crime, war

This was such a precious, equally heartbreaking and hopeful story about identity, family and making a home away from home. Jude (pronounced Joo-deh) is a Syrian girl who, after things grow tense, dangerous and the future uncertain in her home country, gets whisked away by her mom to the US, leaving her dad and brother behind. A brother involved in the resistance movement in Syria.

This book was so easy to like. There isn't one single thing about it th
Sarah Ressler Wright
Sooo good. Although labeled MG, it reads for YA as well and especially as it’s written in verse, students will love it. The descriptions of food-fabulous! The metaphors and turns of phrase are fantastic and the themes of resilience and surviving to thriving so well done.

Phenomenal a must read for everyone!

The audio is good, although the pronunciations are not quite in the region of Jordan Warga is using to set her characters' back story. The food descriptions make me hungry every time!!
CW (The Quiet Pond) ✨
I choked up so many times reading this. Other Words for Home is just so incredibly beautiful, filled with some of the most stunning verses I have ever read.
An effortless favourite read of 2019.

- Told entirely in verse, the story follows Jude, a Syrian girl who, with her mother, escapes to America when things at home in Syria are growing tense, violent, and uncertain.
- This is a story about many things, but chief among them are about immigrating, regrowing roots, finding yourself, and the gnawi
Danielle
Oct 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: middle-grade-ya
"I am learning to be sad and happy at the same time." (p.49)

"Americans love labels. They help them know what to expect. Sometimes, though, I think labels stop them from thinking." (p.92)

"I wonder if it's exhausting to be a tree. To lose something, year after year, only to trust that it will someday grow back." (p.157)

Nina
Dec 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2019
Such a beautiful book!

instagram || my blog || twitter
Rachel León
Aug 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful, powerful novel definitely worth checking out.
Panna Fox
Jan 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I found this book on children's section. 8-12 it says. Wrong. I believe it should be 8-112. Everyone could benefit from reading "Other words for Home". I remember girls mentioning this book before. Karo @come.book , Ola @ksiazkowyfrik , maybe others. "Pretty cover" I thought and moved on. Even buying this was an accident: "Oh I remember you!" and went to the till. At home I discovered it is written as a poem. "Nice, lately I like this style". I read it in one night. Jude, the main character of t ...more
Erica Henry
Nov 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed the fact that a lot of celebrities were mentioned.
Anniek
Reading this, I was happy and sad at the same time. This is such a beautiful verse novel!

Rep: Syrian Muslim MC

CWs: war, islamophobia, racism, menstruation
Emma
Jul 24, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This middle-grade novel was beautiful. This realistic story is told in verses and it's about Jude, a young girl who leaves Syria with her mother in order to go to the US, where her uncle lives.
This book's about family, the concept of home and of belonging, immigration, islamophobia, friendship, and growing up. It was all done very well and I will definitely check out other books by Jasmine Warga.
Jenna Friebel
Jan 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
2020 Newbery honor, my committee year!
Daniel
Jun 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Jasmine Warga
Balzer + Bray
352 pages
8.6 (Best New Book)

Other Words for Home is written from a perspective of an innocent Syrian teenager, but her naivety, amplified by her short verses, is an eye-opening experience as we learn what these refugees actually feel: scared, confused, but mostly hopeful.

It is not far-fetched to compare Jasmine Warga's latest effort, Other Words for Home, to the oeuvres of Jason Reynolds in Long Way Down or even Ellen Hopkins in Crank. They are writt
Madison County NC...: Taking a Walk in Someone Else's Shoes 1 1 Jun 04, 2020 04:00PM

• Genesis Begins Again
  • Stargazing
  • Lalani of the Distant Sea
  • Maybe He Just Likes You
  • Free Lunch
Jasmine Warga is a writer from Cincinnati, Ohio who currently resides in Chicago, Illinois. She is the internationally bestselling author of My Heart and Other Black Holes and Here We Are Now. Her books have been published in over twenty-five countries and optioned for film. Her debut middle grade novel, Other Words For Home, will be published in Spring 2019. Jasmine lives in an apartment filled w ...more

News & Interviews

“There is an Arabic proverb that says:
She makes you feel
like a loaf of freshly baked bread.

rise.”
22 likes
“Hoping,
I’m starting to think,
might be the bravest thing a person can do.”
18 likes