Start by marking “The Long, Long Trail 1917 (War at Home, #4)” as Want to Read:
The Long, Long Trail 1917 (War at Home, #4)

The Long, Long Trail 1917

(War at Home #4)

In 1917 the Great War rages on, and for the Hunters, their friends and their servants the war is where they live now.

Published December 14th 2017 by Sphere

Teresa
Jul 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I'm loving this series. I always find it takes time to get into the next in a series when it's been some time since I read the last. Not with this one, after a couple of pages it was like I'd read the previous one last week.
It was great to meet the Hunter family again to travel along with them in their latest ups and downs. We get some descriptions of battles but this is a book about the Home Front and how people coped, the Family upstairs and the servants below. Looking forward to the next one
Alexandra
Dec 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tore through this one as well! Don't you love it when you find a book you love, and it turns out to be part of a series? Book #4, not meant to be read alone, start with book 1 as the series is essentially one long story.
David Pearce
Oct 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As this series of books draws towards its inevitable close in 1918, the background information remains fascinating and the storytelling remains assured. What has improved, from an already very high level, is the characterisation. None of these characters is a cypher, not even amongst the servants. Every single one of them have developed over the course of the four books, some as a result of growing up but most as a result of their experiences. The changes are totally consistent with what we know ...more
Mary Foust
Jul 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Story was okay. Not much action, kind of just a diary-like read documenting the often mundane month-to-month activities in the lives of the characters. My real criticism is I felt a bit bombarded with characters and had to play who's who. I had to keep going back to the front of the book to see the genealogy line because the characters were introduced by name and not by anything else. For example, halfway through the book, enter for the first time the character, Anaeas, and it caught me off guar ...more
Cheryle
Feb 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

David has returned from the Front a shadow of his former self; his sister Diana, newly married, copes with pregnancy alone, her husband at the Front. Aunt Laura, eager for challenge, goes to France with an ambulance; while Beattie struggles to manage war work and household, while racked with her secret guilt and a new threat of exposure.

U-boat attacks face Britain with starvation
Vivien  FitzGerald-Smith
Wonderful saga of wartime England.

Well researched and written with style and understanding. Gives interesting insight into the period of World War 1. The characters are developed in a consistent way through the series and by Book four seem like old friends. The writing gives a genuine sense of the weariness engendered by the long, exhausting war and its effects on the civilian population of England. The food and fuel shortages are endured with stoicism.
Nailer, the dog is an ingenious device w
Barbara
Dec 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a wonderful continuation of the story of the British Hunter family, an upper middle class family who has run full blown into World War I! This is the 4th book of the War at Home Series written by this great author. I encourage all to read it. For me, usually a year or so go by between books and I can remember and connect all the dots! But it's probably better to read them with less of a time line in between. Can hardly wait for the next installment.
Beata Dobrogoszcz
Oct 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
4th part in the series and I am amazed how good it is. The story is consistent, well written, none of the characters forgotten. I finished it and I am already impatient when the next part will be coming. Reading it I am leaving in the time with all the characters. I worry about everyone and I want to see what will happen with them in 1918. I want to see how they manage the changes coming after the war. Really looking forward to the 5th part.
Tkjtwmr
I was so looking forward to reading this book--and I did enjoy it and the history it represented. Unfortunately, it turned out to be a series and I think it would have been more enjoyable, informative and easier to follow if one reads the books in order. I kept having to refer to the family tree in the front and even then could not keep some of the "non-family" characters straight. A few seemed to come out of left field but I am sure they were more developed in early books.
Violet
Mar 31, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adventure
I read this author a couple of years ago and really liked the subject of England during WWI. However, I am disappointed in this one. I don't remember what went on in the prior books and this one just seems to pick up like we should know all of the many characters. That's also the way it ends ... more to come.
Beth Everett
Jun 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
War at Home Series

This is an excellent series set in England during World War I . It has accurate historic details about the war and that time period. The characters are interesting and believable. The characters span all of the social levels. I am greatly enjoying this series.
Cathy Biggers
Feb 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awaiting the next chapter in the story of the Hunter family, their servants, and the others involved in this series from Ms. Harrod-Eagles. Hope the wait will be a short one as my interest is piqued the further along the storyline she takes us.
Ann
Aug 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have really enjoyed this series and I'm looking forward to the next one. I'm interested in the 'below stairs' staff and how they were treated, even by good employers, very patronising and more than a bit of hypocrisy going on!!
Barbara
Mar 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Hunter family carries on through World War I. They are discovering it isn't the "easy" war they thought it would be. The family members are not being as faithful as they once were. You have to start at the first of this series to get to know everyone. It really is a very good soap opera!!!
A T Cooper
Jun 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Audible narration and kindle

Great stories. Shame they got more costly with each book. Lats paragraph cuts off without completing on audible narration. Will there be a 1918 edition?
Jessica
Jun 18, 2018 rated it liked it
I probably should've started this series with book #1, as there are many different characters to keep track of.
Bjipson
Jun 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The 1917 book of this series -- still Downtown Abbey in book form. Fun reading, if not exactly earth-shattering.
Liz
Dec 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Although it took me a few weeks rather than days because of holiday preparations, I continue to enjoy this series.
Beverly
Dec 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
I am really loving this series. Looking forward to finishing WWI with the Hunter family.
Suzanne
Jun 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The saga continues and I'm happy about that.
Carol
Sep 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am still loving this series and the Hunters!
Margot Tutun
Apr 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Family saga continues

Couldn’t stop reading this lovely book, sad and realistic as it is. I love all the family members the help as well.
Randi Daeger
Feb 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am hoping for at least one more book in this series. I have enjoyed every minute spent with these people.
Lehtomaki
Jun 23, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2018
Fiction
Melissa
Aug 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I’ve enjoyed this series immensely. It reminds me of the Dear America series I read as an early teen. I cannot wait for the next book to come out!
Karoline
Apr 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm still enjoying this mini family saga. I can't believe how much work this author produces!
Jenna Mills
Mar 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good read. Now I have got used the change of narrator, I enjoyed it more.
Linda
Jan 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
This is a British book about WWI that follows a family and their servants and friends. This is the 4th book in the series. Excellent.
Paul
Sep 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A lot happens in this book. All four books in this series have been great to read. I am hoping that there will be fifth or possibly a sixth volume. As the Great War is not over just yet.
Denise
I really have enjoyed reading this series about the home front during WWI in England. There are multiple characters followed surrounding the Hunter family. The author has included a great deal of historical facts about the war interwoven with the fiction. Excellent!

• Learning To Swim
  • Reading in Bed
  • Acts and Omissions
  • Huntingtower (Dickson McCunn, #1)
  • Five Fortunes
  • The Way Men Act
  • Olga: A Daughter's Tale
  • Diary of an Ordinary Woman
  • Butterfly's Shadow
  • The Last Word and Other Stories
  • Nuremberg: The Reckoning
  • Nourishment
  • Jill's Gymkhana (Jill's Ponies, #1)
  • Every Secret Thing: My Family, My Country
  • Five Dead Canaries (Home Front Detective #3)
  • The Shape Of Sand
  • War Story
  • Scorpion Sunset (Long Road to Baghdad, #3)
Cynthia Harrod-Eagles (aka Emma Woodhouse, Elizabeth Bennett)

Cynthia Harrod-Eagles was born on 13 August 1948 in Shepherd's Bush, London, England, where was educated at Burlington School, a girls' charity school founded in 1699, and at the University of Edinburgh and University College London, where she studied English, history and philosophy.

She had a variety of jobs in the commercial world, star

War at Home (6 books)
  • Goodbye Piccadilly (War at Home #1)
  • Keep the Home Fires Burning (War at Home #2)
  • The Land of My Dreams 1916 (War at Home #3)
  • Till the Boys Come Home (War at Home #5)
  • Pack Up Your Troubles (War at Home, #6)