Start by marking “Gustav Klimt at Home” as Want to Read:
Gustav Klimt at Home

Gustav Klimt at Home

Gustav Klimt at Home explores the influences of Vienna and other places Klimt travelled to and called home on his life and work.

Klimt was one of the most prominent members of the Vienna Secession movement. He was both influenced by and shaped the city of Vienna at the turn of the century, undertaking several public commissions. Klimt travelled little, but trips to Venice
Published February 1st 2018 by Frances Lincoln

To ask other readers questions about Gustav Klimt at Home, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gustav Klimt at Home

Kristine
Feb 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: amazon-reviewed
Gustav Klimt at Home by Patrick Bade is a free NetGalley ebook that I read in early February.

Alongside his biography are stories of then-present day Vienna, origins of his painting and decorative arts style, and the people, places, and symbolism featured in his work. The minimalism and choice of fonts work strikingly well against the suppleness and bright colors of Klimt's art.
Alyssa Galindo
Apr 11, 2018 rated it liked it
**Thank you to Netgalley & Quarto Publishing Group for the ARC of this book in return for my honest review**

This book didn't delve in to the story of Gustav Klimt as much as I would have hoped. With the title, "Gustav Klimt at Home," I expected a much more intimate style of writing through more references to personal letters or any documentations that could be found. Instead I found certain parts of the text more heavily focused on who and what may have influenced Klimt and not so much about
Leyla Johnson
Mar 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Whilst a simply adore anything by Gustav Klimt, I know very little about him, his life, his friends and his inspiration. This book, half coffee table, half reading book, goes a long way in introducing me to him and his life. Very well written, easy to read with absolutely fantastic artwork and photos. Anyone interested I Klimt should really read this book.
Elizabeth Grieve
Mar 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
As a lover of Klimt's art, I was interested to read this gorgeous book about his life and surroundings. It's beautifully illustrated with photographs of the artist, his models and friends, and shows his studio and home plus Vienna as it was in his era. This is a lovely coffee-table book which gives some insight into the man and the times he lived in.
Thanks to the publisher for a review copy.
Andreea
Apr 21, 2018 rated it liked it
I received a free copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.

This is a bit hard to review because even though I am a huge fan of Klimt's work - this is my first book read about him!

I liked that the book focused a lot on the historical context around Vienna and the artists of those times, because that is what art history is for me.

But at the same time - and I will go a bit on rant here which I don't usually do on my reviews (especially for the books I receive for this purpose), I really
Rachel Stansel
Feb 02, 2018 rated it liked it
A well laid out book. I enjoyed the mix of biography and art. It was just the right blend to give insights on his work. The author also did a great job of providing the context of the artist's work into the time period in which he worked. As for the art, I was not familiar with Klimt and enjoyed his portraits and landscapes.

Full disclosure - I received a copy of this work from Netgalley and the publisher in exchange for an honest review.
Brooke
Jan 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
This illustrated book encapsulates Klimt's life, art, lovers, and acquaintances in fin-de-siècle Vienna.
Scott
Oct 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
In addition to dozens of beautiful prints of Klimt’s work, the text is excellent on the little known (to me) Viennese art and culture of the late impressionist, art nouveau and early cubist periods.
Karyn
Oct 20, 2018
Asera
Feb 07, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley-2018
---I read this book from NetGalley UK in exchange for a fair review.---

A nice coffee table book about the painter’s famous works and his influences. More importantly it is a historical context of his personal (his early life is written in detail) and professional life, not a biography per se. As such, this is a book to complement one’s understanding of Klimt’s creative work.

I particularly enjoyed the preparatory drawings and wanted to see more!
Victoria Peipert