Start by marking “Finish: Give Yourself the Gift of Done” as Want to Read:
Finish: Give Yourself the Gift of Done

Finish: Give Yourself the Gift of Done

Year after year, readers pulled me aside at events and said, “I’ve never had a problem starting. I’ve started a million things, but I never finish them. Why can’t I finish?

According to studies, 92 percent of New Year’s resolutions fail. You’ve practically got a better shot at getting into Juilliard to become a ballerina than you do at finishing your goals.

For years, I tho
Published September 12th 2017 by Portfolio

To ask other readers questions about Finish, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Finish

LK
Nov 28, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fic
Well, I finished. So that's a start.
Jenny Baker
Wow, this book got me thinking about how I think, and that’s always a good thing. These are some of my favorite points in the book and apologize for the length.

***Spoiler Alert*** --> Warning, I'm about to ramble.

“If you want to finish, you’ve got to do all that you can to get rid of your perfectionism right out of the gate. You’ve got to have fun, cut your goal in half, choose what things you’ll bomb, and a few other actions you won’t see coming at first.”

There are four lies that perfect
Charmin
Nov 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Highlights:
1. Strategic incompetence - choose to suck at something that drains energy.

2. Data kills denial.

3. Perfectionism shows us a distorted view of the world.

4. Fear or victory - pick which one motivates you and add it to as many tasks as possible.

5. Perfectionism gets louder only when people get moving.

6. Expose your hiding place: if something is stealing from your reserves, eliminate it.

7. Perfectionism is a desperate attempt to live up to impossible standards.

8. Data tells us the trut
Hope Eifert
Mar 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018-to-read
I love self-help books, and I usually get some good take-always, but every once in a while, I discover one that is a game-changer for me--like this one. I am a chronic starter (and daydreamer) and this book completely resonated with me. He identifies all the sneaky ways we let perfectionism sabotage our goals, and he's funny and relatable along the way.

I don't re-read books too often, but I'm already planning to read this one 2-3 more times this year. It was totally exactly what I needed.
Casey
Sep 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Anyone else have a book inside you? Anyone else have a dream that maybe you've started a hundred times or more...but never really quite completed? Anyone else chased by the spectre of perfection, that mean ugly voice that says if you can't do it perfectly, why bother?

This book is for you, then. Dream, yes. But DO. The world needs to hear your voice.

Now pardon me while I go write.
Elizabeth
Sep 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Acuff's best book, by far. The research that went into the examples here is relatable. The advice is practical and can implemented right now without extra time or money. Tons of added humor and zero fluff. Loved it!
Annie
Jan 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
There are a few good tips in this book. For example, perfectionism stops most people from finishing their goals. For example, we start going to the gym regularly in January. But then after missing a few days, we quit "I blew it. I can't meet this goal." Or even before we start, we pick the "perfect" goal, like "run a marathon by the end of the year" (although we have never ran 5K).

The steps in the book are basic but still good advice:
* Think back to other goals you've attempted. Were they too bi
Nicole Conlan
Dec 24, 2017 rated it liked it
I thought this book was totally fine, and an easy read, but nothing particularly revelatory. Maybe it's because over the past year or so I've gotten much better at finishing what I start, so nothing here was particularly groundbreaking, but I could see how this would be useful to past-me, when I had a thousand incomplete projects. Also didn't love the trying-to-be-funny tone. You know that CoCo Chanel quote about taking one accessory off before you leave the house? I wish the author had done tha ...more
Kimberly Gordon
Oct 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
THIS WAS SO GOOD FOR ME! I’ve read a bit about my personality type, and know enough that I’m *pretty* Type A, and do a lot of things out of a motivation of perfection. So pretty much everything Jon had to say in Finish about setting goals and finishing them-not perfectly, but finishing, was convicting for me.
He’s super funny, as usual, and that makes it enjoyable to read, but his wisdom about how to finish goals by cutting them in half somehow, intentionally choosing to bomb certain things to a
Leman Sadikhli
Nov 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5!
Martti
Oct 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
We intentionally make things harder on ourselves. People who reach their goals find ways to make things easier on themselves.
Strategic incompetence - choose to suck at something that drains energy.
Perfectionism is a desperate attempt to live up to impos
Lauren
Feb 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: chronic starters who struggle with finishing projects. Procrastinating perfectionists!
Recommended to Lauren by: Michelle
Where are my fellow recovering perfectionists at? This one's for us!

First of all, Jon Acuff's writing is a breeze to read because of how gosh darned funny he is. My margins are littered with the words "ha ha" and deranged smiley faces from all the moments that had me snickering. (I had to read the bit about Taco Bell aloud to my husband. It had us rolling and could have been delivered as stand-up.)

But amidst all of his laugh-out-loud humor is real practical, actionable advice for how go from bei
Lora
Oct 06, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-owned
I enjoy Jon Acuff's books, especially his injection of humor. Sometimes the humor becomes a bit overpowering as he gets too caught up in anecdotes or humorous asides. In his latest book, Finish, he tipped the scale. Instead of humorous interjections scattered throughout the book to keep it lively, it was distracting to the extent that I would derail from the point he was trying to make, following him down a rabbit hole. I was hoping for guided wisdom and thoughtful approaches with some humor wov ...more
Kati Davis
Mar 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was a little extra proud to click the "I'm finished" button for this one.
Erin
Jan 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I am a starter. So many projects half done, so many books half read... This book is perfect for people like me who have NO trouble getting started, but get tripped up or slowed down on the way to the finish. I want to get things done in 2018 and Jon Acuff gives the tools and motivation (and laughs) I need to get there! A lot of the exercises and questions really messed with me in a good way because they forced me to deal with fears and excuses I hadn’t fully realized were there. I’ll be referrin ...more
Catherine
Mar 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
3.5/4? In an ironic twist of fate I almost didn't finish this book because it got returned to library before I was done with it. But figured it would be a sorry state of affairs to not finish a book about finishing, haha.

It was an interesting enough read. Short and to the point. It had some good thoughts that I haven't heard before, such as "half your goal or double your timeline." It seems counterintuitive, but it's all about fighting off the perfectionism that ruins so many goals. I was a lit
Elizabeth Trader
Jan 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a funny, inspiring, and practical read! This was a great book to start off the new year with, and I feel *much* more equipped to tackle some goals for the semester. I admire Acuff's authenticity as well as the amount of research he included. I would absolutely recommend this book, especially to those with perfectionist tendencies.
Jessica
Apr 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I found this book to be so helpful! It details practical steps you can take to increase your productivity. It talks of self awareness and self evaluation a lot. I loved it. I’m considering buying a copy for everyone on my team.
Zen
Apr 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: change
It actually felt great to finish this book. The best thing about this book is it has helped me to understand where the "mental blocks" I kept running into were coming from and how to circumvent them. I've already incorporated many things from the book into my daily life and I've been more productive recently than I have in months. It's nice to actually have actually completed some of the things I'd started and never got around to. Definitely worth the read, and I will most likely reread this aga ...more
Ana Ávila
Buenas ideas, terrible traducción. Creo que si aplicas los consejos del autor podrás mejorar tu productividad; incluso los que leemos mucho del tema encontraremos algo nuevo. Tres estrellas porque la traducción hace bastante difícil disfrutar la lectura.
Leandra
Jun 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Excellent book for all those perfectionists out there! We are many!

Jon Acuff does an excellent job of how perfectionism tends to cause us become paralyzed thus not achieving our dreams. He teaches us how to overcome that mindset.

Each chapter is excellent but a few that stuck me are are cut your goal in half or extend the time it takes to meet the goal. I did that with a couple of items I am working on and the relief of pressure actually helped me do bomb.

Also choosing what to bomb. When we are p
Shannon
Dec 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Woowhee did I see myself in this book! Learned a lot - highly recommend!
Sipho
Jan 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: skills
A fitting way to start a new year. Finish by best selling author, Jon Acuff, is a guide to goal-setting. Or rather, goal-finishing.

A truly fantastic read: containing valuable insights and conversational in tone.

Key Takeaways

Perfectionism gets in the way of you completing your goals by telling lies:

1. "Quit if it isn’t perfect."
A lot of people believe perfect is the only standard, and if they can’t hit it they won’t even take the first step. Perfectionism magnifies your mistakes and min
Jenny Mullin
Jan 09, 2019 rated it liked it
I would probably give this a book a 3.5 if possible. There are lots of common sense tips, and he really focused on perfectionism and how that holds us back from completing our goals. A lot of this, I have already implemented in my life. Had I read it in my 20s, perhaps I would have given him a higher score! However, it's an easy quick read -- encouraging and helpful -- but not necessarily life-changing.
Julia
Oct 24, 2017 rated it did not like it
I like Jon and his perspective, but I did not find value in this book. I preordered the book and really wanted to love it, but I feel like it missed out on depth.

It would have been helpful to hear more from the participants in the study and how their life has been impacted by the techniques in this book. From what I remember, I believe there were less than 5 stories from participants. What was the ratio of projects started and finished before the study? What was the ratio after? Did the partici
Brandon Kelley
Sep 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is a game-changer. Who can't use help in actually finishing the things they start? This book wasn't just great because of the ideas it contained, but it was great because of Jon Acuff's style. You'll find yourself laughing out loud at what you're reading with people looking at you with envy because not only are you having a better time than them, but you're also becoming a finish machine. Read this and "give yourself the gift of done!"
Cameron Mathews
Aug 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
For an entire book whose premise is basically "Perfect is the enemy of done," Finish is a well-executed book. It goes into pretty good analysis of our perfectionist tendencies and how that prevents us from reaching our true potential. Not sure what your project is, but chances are you will find yourself nodding along at a few points in the book thinking that Jon has seen into your mind and understands why you are starting and not finishing.
عباد ديرانية
Most of the advice provided throughout the book is alright, occasionally valuable and surprisingly accurate. A lot of the research and evidence it refers to, though, is either biased or probably pseudoscience. Language-wise, it seemed to be way under-edited. Feels like it was published in draft form.
Natalie Herr
Oct 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Liked this book a lot! I'm only giving it a 4 because I haven't had a chance to apply the principles yet. I love his encouragement to dig deep and identify the roadblocks that keep us from finishing our goals.
Ashleigh O'Hara
One that helps with practical applications for all those starters that don't finish well (old me)!
Goodreads Librari...: Please update the title of this book 2 24 Sep 21, 2017 07:40AM
  • Everyday Holy: Finding a Big God in the Little Moments
  • Shave 10 Hours Off Your Workweek
  • Procrastinate on Purpose: 5 Permissions to Multiply Your Time
  • Stand Up for Your Life: A Practical Step-by-Step Plan to Build Inner Confidence and Personal Power
  • The ADHD Effect on Marriage: Understand and Rebuild Your Relationship in Six Steps
  • Do More Better: A Practical Guide to Productivity
  • Lost in the Middle: Mid-Life Crisis and the Grace of God
  • Secrets of Dynamic Communications: Prepare with Focus, Deliver with Clarity, Speak with Power
  • How to Lead When You're Not in Charge: Leveraging Influence When You Lack Authority
  • Pale Girl Speaks: A Year Uncovered
  • Cozy Minimalist Home: More Style, Less Stuff
  • Time Management Mama: Making Use of the Margins to Pursue Your Passions
  • The Power of Significance
  • Breaking Busy: How to Find Peace and Purpose in a World of Crazy
  • Enough: Finding More by Living with Less
  • H3 Leadership: Be Humble. Stay Hungry. Always Hustle.
  • The Clutter Diet: The Skinny on Organizing Your Home and Taking Control of Your Life
  • Disciplines of the Beautiful Woman
Jon Acuff is the New York Times Bestselling author of four books including his most recent, Start: Punch Fear in the Face, Escape Average & Do Work that Matters.

For 16 years he’s helped some of the biggest brands in the world tell their story, including The Home Depot, Bose, Staples, and the Dave Ramsey Team. Most recently he’s spoken to hundreds of thousands of people at conferences, colleges
“But more than just analysis, perfectionism offers us two distinct distractions: Hiding places Noble obstacles A hiding place is an activity you focus on instead of your goal. A noble obstacle is a virtuous-sounding reason for not working toward a finish. Both are toxic to your ability to finish.” 3 likes
“If taking a break from social media sounds intimidating, remember, you’ve already done this for an entire year. It was called 1997.” 3 likes