Start by marking “I Am Enough” as Want to Read:
I Am Enough

I Am Enough

I Am Enough is the picture book everyone needs

This is a gorgeous, lyrical ode to loving who you are, respecting others, and being kind to one another—from Empire actor and activist Grace Byers and talented newcomer artist Keturah A. Bobo.

This is the perfect gift for mothers and daughters, baby showers, and graduation.

We are all here for a purpose. We are more than enough.
Published March 6th 2018 by Balzer + Bray

To ask other readers questions about I Am Enough, please sign up.

Start your review of I Am Enough
David Schaafsma
The 2018 Goodreads Picture Book Winner! Congrats, Grace Byers!

Each year my family reads all the Goodreads-award-nominated picture books, and we have been doing this for years. Everyone rates each book and adds a comment and it may (or may not) affect my overall rating. This is book #7 of 2018. Note that Lyra LOVES this book, and the rest of us, not so much; because of her high rating, I bump the family rating up to 3 from my 2 stars.

Lyra (11): 5 stars! I like how it shows how we are all differe
Calista
I love this story about self-empowerment. The title says it all - “I am enough”. It is a simple beginning story about everything you can be and do because you are different and yet we are all the same too.

It’s so well done. There are a few lines per page and it’s simple for children, yet it’s taking some important life concepts and making it easy to understand. I love the artwork and how the hair on this child is different on many pages. I love that big hair. I like the positive message.

Now the
Nancy Kotkin
This is one of those picture books that parents and teachers might like children to read, but I really have to wonder what a child gets out of a poem of abstract platitudes.
For example:

Like the rain, I'm here to pour
and drip and fall until I'm full.

AND:

Like the water, here to swell.
Like the fire, here to burn.

AND:

But that does not dictate our worth;
we both have places here on earth.

The illustrations depict a large cast of diverse characters, but there are so many different children that there is
Heather
May 03, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
Judging by the star rating on this book, I can see that I am in the minority. However, I was disappointed - hoping this book was something it was not, I guess. When I saw the title of this book and the synopsis, I was hopeful that it was a book I could use at church children's program to open a discussion of being happy with who you are. I did not find it to be so. The content was VERY simplistic and not really, in my opinion, supportive of the idea of promised by the title.
"Like the voice, I'm
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Oct 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cybils, picture-book
Just the fabulous cover is enough to make me fall in love with this book. It's a list of reminders for all of us, reminders that we are good enough just as we are. The text is a lovely mix of prose and rhyme to satisfy, with enough similes to work as an ideal read aloud for any simile lesson.
Baby Bookworm
Apr 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: our-reviews

Hello, friends! Our book today is the wonderfully empowering I Am Enough, written by Grace Byers and illustrated by Keturah A. Bobo, a girl-power celebration for all shapes, sizes, and skin tones.

“Like the sun, I’m here to shine,” the rhyming text begins, and each page that follows offers an affirmation of all the strength, talent, and promise that young girls have within them. While praising t
Reader Boy
Jul 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
A very good poetic picture book with lessons for life and with a very big message :
Whoever you are , whatever you have , wherever you belong , always try try to be the best be it work , life , relationship etc. etc. because you are enough. You can always do it and every time you fall anywhere, you stand much more stronger and brighter.
Kristie
Dec 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens, 2018, gcac_2019
Thought I'd like this one more, but it was just ok. Nice ending of being different from each other, but all good enough. I'm not sure it's entertaining enough for kids to really love it, though parents will like the message. The pictures were nicely done and inclusive.
Ronald
Jun 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Although this exquisite children's picture book is intended for young girls, I recommend this beautifully written book to all book lovers. The lush, adorable, and elegant artwork and empowering themes are fantastic. This book's immediate goal is to promote unity, diversity, acceptance, understanding and compassion, and most importantly, love. I read this slim book in one day and I loved all the positive messages. I loved the importance of getting along with other people despite our differences. ...more
Candace
Feb 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
I Am Enough is a picture book of girl empowerment. The illustrations are diverse; representing girls from all walks of life. I'm not sure if the poem will resignate with everyone, but the last seven pages are meaningful. This book teaches self-respect, respect for others and kindness.
April Thompson
Nov 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Like the sun, I’m here to shine
Nouruddine
Jan 03, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: childrens-adult
Dolly
Nov 20, 2018 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
I like this book. I like what it is meant to do, to be, and the children it is created for. But I really think this book could be so much more. The rhyming narrative is nice and the illustrations, created using "acrylic paint on board, scanned into Adobe Photoshop with digital chalk backgrounds," are wonderfully diverse and emotive.

But I just don't know if this one will appeal to children. The lyrical narrative is empowering and affirmative, but that is the entire purpose, not to entertain or t
Tracy
Feb 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Thanks to the Kidlit Exchange for the review copy of this book. All opinions are my own.

I AM ENOUGH contrasts the different sides of us—the hard and soft, the peaceful and wild, the right-side-up and the upside-down. The book invites every girl to be herself and love herself, while honoring her differences from others. No matter who you are, you are enough. A wonderful picture book for all girls and all kids.
Kris Dersch
Nov 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: kidslit, picture-book
Cute enough as a picture book, all about confidence and knowing your place in the world using similes, like the trees I'm here to grow, that kind of thing. And the multi-ethnic cast of kids is well drawn. But we see this concept a lot and there doesn't seem to be much here to make this one any different, plus some of the lines are a stretch...like the winner I'm here to win? Nothing wrong at all with the book, just doesn't stand out.
Relyn
Feb 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Relyn by: Indie Bound newsletter
Talk about an empowering book. This is the kind of book you want your child to memorize; the kind you read to them every night as they fall asleep. I love, love, love the words. The pictures - meh. That's why this is a four star for me. I LOVE the cover of the book, but the art feels stilted and the kids don't feel life-like in the rest of the illustrations. SO - 4 stars instead of 5.
Keeley
Jun 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
My heart! This book is sweet, lovely perfection. The illustrations are gorgeous and the message is clear: we are enough as we are. Byers conveys a huge, complex lesson that many of us never learn and present it in such a way that a child can be empowered. I'm an adult and feel so uplifted by it!
Cait
Nov 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
This book is so cute and diverse and would be perfect for my best friends' niece!
Megan
Dec 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I always wonder why they didn't have thoughtful and heartfelt books like these when I was a kid? I think I would feel differently about me if I had been reading books like this then. Beautiful <3 ...more
Kristen
Feb 24, 2019 rated it liked it
Accepting!
Sanja_Sanjalica
Apr 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Magically wonderful and warm. A book to hug...
Abigail
Jan 16, 2019 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Readers Looking for Picture-Books That Address Self Esteem & Mutual Respect and Kindness
A celebration of young girls, their many gifts and abilities, and their relations with one another, I Am Enough pairs a poetic text from actress Grace Byers with gorgeous artwork from debut illustrator Keturah A. Bobo.

Although I am not always a fan of celebrity-authored children's books, and am sometimes skeptical about the ethical clarity of titles meant to inculcate self-esteem (I sometimes feel they emphasize feeling at the expense of ethics), I nevertheless really enjoyed I Am Enough. I foun
Zoe's Human
Apr 04, 2018 rated it liked it
I was first drawn to this picture book by the beautiful cover. I was not disappointed by the illustrations. The art throughout is lovely, and the poem is a pleasant, simple message of self-acceptance as well as acceptance of others.

Picture book
Grades: PreK - 3
Ages: 4-8
Themes: self-esteem & self-reliance, bullying, emotions & feelings
Chinook
Dec 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids
The girls both really enjoyed this. It had a nice mix of reality and whimsy to it. Loved the illustrations. Every girl should read it.
Elisabeth
Mar 29, 2018 rated it liked it
Bless my friends who know I love picture books and bring them to me to read!

I feel like I ought to like I Am Enough more than I actually do. It's a lovely little book that's just brimming with positivity and diversity, but it fell a little flat for me. I wasn't sure what some of the stanzas were trying to say. For instance:
Like the rain, I'm here to pour and drip and fall until I'm full.

I wasn't wild about some of the illustrations either, especially those digital chalk backgrounds. I ador
Amy Brydon Jones
I've absolutely fallen in love with this book, and I believe every child should read this or have this read to them at some point. In a society that struggles with confidence, self worth and self esteem, this book tells the reader that they are worth enough. My favourite thing about the book is that it represents minority children such as children of colour, children with disabilities etc. This aspect, along with the rhyme scheme used is enough to make anyone fall in love with the book.
Cat Colwell
Dec 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was the story my 3 year old niece picked out for me to read to her on Christmas Day. It makes me happy that book exists, and that it is being read to small humans everywhere.
Teri
Jan 01, 2019 rated it liked it
This was a good book to begin a new year. Read with my niece and nephew since the message of being good enough just as you are is an important one for a 5- and 7-year-old (and a 58-year-old).
Shakira
Jul 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
I saw it in Target and I remember someone recommending it. I read it right there. I wish I had a book like this, with someone who looked like me, when I was this age.
Goodreads Choice ...: I Am Enough - January 2019 3 85 Dec 31, 2018 02:40PM

• I Am Human: A Book of Empathy
  • Little Leaders: Bold Women in Black History
  • Alma and How She Got Her Name
  • All Are Welcome
Grace Byers is an actor and activist who stars in Fox’s hit series Empire. As a multiracial young girl and a CODA (Child of Deaf Adults), Grace was bullied throughout her childhood. This book was born out of her desire to empower young girls against the effects of bullying. In her spare time, she volunteers with the nonprofit antibullying organization Saving Our Daughters. She lives in Los Angeles ...more