Start by marking “I Am Enough” as Want to Read:

I Am Enough is the picture book everyone needs

This is a gorgeous, lyrical ode to loving who you are, respecting others, and being kind to one another—from Empire actor and activist Grace Byers and talented newcomer artist Keturah A. Bobo.

This is the perfect gift for mothers and daughters, baby showers, and graduation.

We are all here for a purpose. We are more than enough.
Published March 6th 2018 by Balzer + Bray

To ask other readers questions about I Am Enough, please sign up.

David Schaafsma
The 2018 Goodreads Picture Book Winner! Congrats, Grace Byers!

Each year my family reads all the Goodreads-award-nominated picture books, and we have been doing this for years. Everyone rates each book and adds a comment and it may (or may not) affect my overall rating. This is book #7 of 2018. Note that Lyra LOVES this book, and the rest of us, not so much; because of her high rating, I bump the family rating up to 3 from my 2 stars.

Lyra (11): 5 stars! I like how it shows how we are all differe
Nancy Kotkin
This is one of those picture books that parents and teachers might like children to read, but I really have to wonder what a child gets out of a poem of abstract platitudes.
For example:

Like the rain, I'm here to pour
and drip and fall until I'm full.

AND:

Like the water, here to swell.
Like the fire, here to burn.

AND:

But that does not dictate our worth;
we both have places here on earth.

The illustrations depict a large cast of diverse characters, but there are so many different children that there is
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Oct 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children, cybils
Just the fabulous cover is enough to make me fall in love with this book. It's a list of reminders for all of us, reminders that we are good enough just as we are. The text is a lovely mix of prose and rhyme to satisfy, with enough similes to work as an ideal read aloud for any simile lesson.
Heather
May 03, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
Judging by the star rating on this book, I can see that I am in the minority. However, I was disappointed - hoping this book was something it was not, I guess. When I saw the title of this book and the synopsis, I was hopeful that it was a book I could use at church children's program to open a discussion of being happy with who you are. I did not find it to be so. The content was VERY simplistic and not really, in my opinion, supportive of the idea of promised by the title.
"Like the voice, I'm
Baby Bookworm
Apr 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: our-reviews

Hello, friends! Our book today is the wonderfully empowering I Am Enough, written by Grace Byers and illustrated by Keturah A. Bobo, a girl-power celebration for all shapes, sizes, and skin tones.

“Like the sun, I’m here to shine,” the rhyming text begins, and each page that follows offers an affirmation of all the strength, talent, and promise that young girls have within them. While praising t
Kristie
Dec 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018, childrens, gcac_2019
Thought I'd like this one more, but it was just ok. Nice ending of being different from each other, but all good enough. I'm not sure it's entertaining enough for kids to really love it, though parents will like the message. The pictures were nicely done and inclusive.
April Thompson
Nov 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Like the sun, I’m here to shine
Nouruddin
Jan 03, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: childrens-adult
Candace
Feb 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
I Am Enough is a picture book of girl empowerment. The illustrations are diverse; representing girls from all walks of life. I'm not sure if the poem will resignate with everyone, but the last seven pages are meaningful. This book teaches self-respect, respect for others and kindness.
Ronald
Jun 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Although this exquisite children's picture book is intended for young girls, I recommend this beautifully written book to all book lovers. The lush, adorable, and elegant artwork and empowering themes are fantastic. This book's immediate goal is to promote unity, diversity, acceptance, understanding and compassion, and most importantly, love. I read this slim book in one day and I loved all the positive messages. I loved the importance of getting along with other people despite our differences. ...more
Elisabeth
Mar 29, 2018 rated it liked it
Bless my friends who know I love picture books and bring them to me to read!

I feel like I ought to like I Am Enough more than I actually do. It's a lovely little book that's just brimming with positivity and diversity, but it fell a little flat for me. I wasn't sure what some of the stanzas were trying to say. For instance:
Like the rain, I'm here to pour and drip and fall until I'm full.

I wasn't wild about some of the illustrations either, especially those digital chalk backgrounds. I adore
Tracy
Feb 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Thanks to the Kidlit Exchange for the review copy of this book. All opinions are my own.

I AM ENOUGH contrasts the different sides of us—the hard and soft, the peaceful and wild, the right-side-up and the upside-down. The book invites every girl to be herself and love herself, while honoring her differences from others. No matter who you are, you are enough. A wonderful picture book for all girls and all kids.
Abigail
Jan 16, 2019 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Readers Looking for Picture-Books That Address Self Esteem & Mutual Respect and Kindness
A celebration of young girls, their many gifts and abilities, and their relations with one another, I Am Enough pairs a poetic text from actress Grace Byers with gorgeous artwork from debut illustrator Keturah A. Bobo.

Although I am not always a fan of celebrity-authored children's books, and am sometimes skeptical about the ethical clarity of titles meant to inculcate self-esteem (I sometimes feel they emphasize feeling at the expense of ethics), I nevertheless really enjoyed I Am Enough. I foun
Kris Dersch
Nov 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: kidslit, picture-book
Cute enough as a picture book, all about confidence and knowing your place in the world using similes, like the trees I'm here to grow, that kind of thing. And the multi-ethnic cast of kids is well drawn. But we see this concept a lot and there doesn't seem to be much here to make this one any different, plus some of the lines are a stretch...like the winner I'm here to win? Nothing wrong at all with the book, just doesn't stand out.
Zoe's Human
Apr 04, 2018 rated it liked it
I was first drawn to this picture book by the beautiful cover. I was not disappointed by the illustrations. The art throughout is lovely, and the poem is a pleasant, simple message of self-acceptance as well as acceptance of others.

Picture book
Grades: PreK - 3
Ages: 4-8
Themes: self-esteem & self-reliance, bullying, emotions & feelings
Jenn Marshall
Apr 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
I love how sweet this book is. The pictures are adorable and the poem flows well. It is a beautiful story about how were all different and that's ok. We are enough.
Chinook
Dec 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids
The girls both really enjoyed this. It had a nice mix of reality and whimsy to it. Loved the illustrations. Every girl should read it.
Keeley
Jun 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
My heart! This book is sweet, lovely perfection. The illustrations are gorgeous and the message is clear: we are enough as we are. Byers conveys a huge, complex lesson that many of us never learn and present it in such a way that a child can be empowered. I'm an adult and feel so uplifted by it!
Kristine Hansen
Nov 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Diversity seems to be the word of the year in picture books. In this particular offering we explore the relationships of this child with those around her, in a sweet prose setting that encourages readers to be proud of who they are in all of their differences.
Kristen P
Jan 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018-pub
Nice; great message.
Dolly
Nov 20, 2018 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
I like this book. I like what it is meant to do, to be, and the children it is created for. But I really think this book could be so much more. The rhyming narrative is nice and the illustrations, created using "acrylic paint on board, scanned into Adobe Photoshop with digital chalk backgrounds," are wonderfully diverse and emotive.

But I just don't know if this one will appeal to children. The lyrical narrative is empowering and affirmative, but that is the entire purpose, not to entertain or t
Relyn
Feb 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Relyn by: Indie Bound newsletter
Talk about an empowering book. This is the kind of book you want your child to memorize; the kind you read to them every night as they fall asleep. I love, love, love the words. The pictures - meh. That's why this is a four star for me. I LOVE the cover of the book, but the art feels stilted and the kids don't feel life-like in the rest of the illustrations. SO - 4 stars instead of 5.
Cat Colwell
Dec 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was the story my 3 year old niece picked out for me to read to her on Christmas Day. It makes me happy that book exists, and that it is being read to small humans everywhere.
Megan
Dec 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018grwinners
I always wonder why they didn't have thoughtful and heartfelt books like these when I was a kid? I think I would feel differently about me if I had been reading books like this then. Beautiful <3
Teri
Jan 01, 2019 rated it liked it
This was a good book to begin a new year. Read with my niece and nephew since the message of being good enough just as you are is an important one for a 5- and 7-year-old (and a 58-year-old).
Eve Leuzinger
Reading this book once isn't enough. This book acts as an almost daily affirmation to children and adults that being you is enough no matter the differences we see and may feel.

This simple narrative is so eloquent that it it's very poetic and easy for the reader to follow and remember. By having the narrative not isolated to one character instead making the reader put themselves into the narrative aids in promoting the messages of acceptance and being true to yourself effortlessly. The presenta
Julian
Nov 03, 2018 rated it liked it
Beautiful ideas, intentions and art. This is an empowering book to remind children, and even adults, that we are not meant to be like others. We are what we are...and we are enough.

I am not a fan of rhymes or poems, children's or otherwise, and I find that my child doesn't get them, as there are no story lines. I suppose other kids will be equally confused if you just read this book in one shot. However, if you use each verse or page to stop and discuss the idea behind it, it is great for conver
Maxwell Rae
Dec 30, 2018 rated it it was ok
My 700th read and last one of the year!! Mum picked the winner of the Goodreads Best Picture Book of 2018 winner to wrap up the year and sadly I’m left wanting. Well actually I crawled away from her at wrap speed while mum was reading it to me, it really was that boring. These type of books are trying to improve my self esteem and world view, but I’m 1 year old, I like funny words and sounds. Yet another example of a books popularity being based on the authors prior celebrity status.
Shannon
Dec 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I Am Enough

I Picked Up This Book Because: Saw it won Goodreads Choice for Picture Books 2018

The Story:

I absolutely loved this book. I immediately made plans to buy or recommended it to several parents I know. The illustrations were stunning and the words were beautiful.

The Random Thoughts:

5 Stars
Jenny
Dec 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
I love the simple text and lovely illustrations of young girls who express their worth through statements such as "Like the moon, I'm here to dream. Like the student, here to learn." Or "And in the end, we are right here to live a life of love, not fear..."
Goodreads Choice ...: I Am Enough - January 2019 3 80 Dec 31, 2018 02:40PM
  • Crown: An Ode to the Fresh Cut
  • Drawn Together
  • Saffron Ice Cream
  • La Princesa and the Pea
  • Not My Idea: A Book About Whiteness (Ordinary Terrible Things)
Grace Byers is an actor and activist who stars in Fox’s hit series Empire. As a multiracial young girl and a CODA (Child of Deaf Adults), Grace was bullied throughout her childhood. This book was born out of her desire to empower young girls against the effects of bullying. In her spare time, she volunteers with the nonprofit antibullying organization Saving Our Daughters. She lives in Los Angeles ...more