Start by marking “Boardwalk Summer” as Want to Read:
Boardwalk Summer

Boardwalk Summer

What happened on that long-ago summer? In this riveting novel from the author of The Dressmaker’s Dowry, an aspiring Hollywood actress makes a shocking choice in 1940, and seventy years later, a young mother sets out to discover what happened …

Summer, 1940: When Violet Harcourt is crowned Miss Bathing Beauty in her hometown of Santa Cruz, she’s determined to see herself on
Published June 19th 2018 by William Morrow Paperbacks

To ask other readers questions about Boardwalk Summer, please sign up.
Meredith Jaeger Hi Dawn,

Hi Dawn,

Violet and Evie are both married when they enter the competition, but it is against the rules to be married, so Evie convinces Violet to lie. Page 2: "I tamped down my fear, remembering the lie I told the pageant officials. Yet I hadn't stopped myself from filling out the Miss California contest entry form, my hands shaking as I'd signed my name."(less)

Start your review of Boardwalk Summer
Julie
Boardwalk Summer by Meredith Jaeger is a 2018 William Morrow Paperbacks publication.

Not your usual beach read-

Summer 1940-

Violet Harcourt, although married, enters a beauty contest at the urging of her friend. She never expected to win, but when she does, she's worried what her husband's reaction will be. But, despite her husband’s negativity and possessiveness, Violet is still holding on to her Hollywood dreams.

But, just when she catches a break, she abruptly leaves Hollywood behind stepping
Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader
4 refreshing as a sea breeze stars to Boardwalk Summer!

Boardwalk Summer has two interesting timelines. Violet Harcourt, an aspiring actress and “bathing beauty” in 1940s Santa Cruz, California, and Marisol Cruz, single mom, living in 2007 Santa Cruz as well. Both stories take place during the summer with a stunning beach backdrop and all of the fun and intrigue of the Beach Boardwalk and its performers.

The book opens with Violet winning Miss Bathing Beauty; however, she has kept a big secret.
Jessica
Jun 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received this book for free in exchange for an honest review as part of a TLC Book Tour.

I absolutely loved everything about this book!

I was so excited to read this because it takes place in Santa Cruz, California. I just so happen to live in nearby San Jose (which is mentioned in passing a few times in the book) and have been to Santa Cruz and the boardwalk myself. It was really cool reading about a place that I was familiar with. The beach boardwalk was the place for end of the field trips
Elizabeth of Silver's Reviews

Mari, Violet, and Ricardo have a connection.

No one knew about the connection until Mari decided to do some research.

BOARDWALK SUMMER smoothly goes back and forth from 1940 to 2010.

Violet is married, enters a beauty pageant in 1940, wins the pageant, but then relinquishes the win because only unmarried women are allowed to enter. She also gives up the crown because her abusive, controlling husband was furious. Violet then does a few unlikely and out-of-character things.

Mari is an unmarried
Amy
Jun 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ninja
4.5/5

Before I get into my thoughts on the book I’m so excited to share that my friend Jamie and I are starting a new collaboration and it starts today! Jamie is an avid reviewer on Goodreads and Instagram and we both read super fast and have very similar taste in books, though we don’t always agree Boardwalk Summer is the first of our many planned buddy reads where I’ll be sharing my thoughts as usual but you’ll get the added bonus of hearing what Jamie thought as well. Hope you guys enjoy this
Christina (Confessions of a Book Addict)
It's 1940 and Violet Harcourt has entered the Miss California contest. Her ultimate goal is to become an actress in Hollywood. But there's one problem. You have to be single to be Miss California and well, she isn't. She is married to Charles, a good looking and wealthy businessman who seems to be perfect, but underneath the facade is an abusive jerk. Once he finds out that Violet is competing, he is going to make her pay. Fast forward to 2007 and we meet Mari Cruz, a young single mother who ...more
Elise Hooper
Jan 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Meredith Jaeger creates a compelling story that channels both the glamour and big dreams of old Hollywood with the charm and thrills of Santa Cruz’s boardwalk as two daring women risk everything to find love. Past and present meld together in unexpected ways to create a rollercoaster of mystery and adventure.
Betty
Jun 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: harpercollins
I really enjoyed this book. I did not realize until after I finished the book that its author also wrote “The Dressmaker’s Dowry” which I really enjoyed.

The story alternates between Violet Harcourt in the 1940s and Marisol (Mari) Cruz in 2007. Violet Harcourt was a beautiful California girl who dreamed of making it big in Hollywood. Although married at the time to an abusive, controlling husband, she entered a local beauty pageant in her hometown of Santa Cruz and won. This was her ticket to
Sue
Apr 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a wonderful novel with a dual time line of modern day and 1940. I enjoyed both stories and loved the way that the author ended the novel.

Marisol is a single mother living with her parents in Santa Cruz. As she is trying to find more about the history of her town for the historical society, she finds a picture of a woman who was trying to become an actress in 1940 but jumped to her death. There is a mystery behind Violet's death and when Marisol finds out that her beloved grandfather was
Tammy
Boardwalk Summer is a lovely beach read full of family secrets. Alternating between the 1940's and the early 2000's, Boardwalk Summer is the story of Marisol's quest to save the historic gazebo on the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk. As she researches the rich history of the boardwalk, she uncovers some secrets hidden by her grandfather years ago. The story is filled with Old Hollywood and history of the Santa Cruz beach.
Ariel
Jun 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a sweet story that goes back and forth in time between the 1940's to the present day. In the past Violet Harcourt is trying to break free of an abusive husband and make it in Hollywood while in 2007 Marisol Cruz is trying to make it as a single mom as she struggles to preserve town history that has importance to her family. Violet and Marisol have a lot in common as they both struggle to bury secrets from the past. They share a connection that goes beyond Marisol's interest in the beauty ...more
Karen Macedo
Jul 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received this book in a goodreads giveaway. Thank you to William Morrow. I really enjoyed this historical fiction read. It takes place in two different times lines. I like how the author touched on the immigration issue. I found it very apt considering the way things are now in this country with all the immigration issues.. Great read..
Cathy Daniel
Jun 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
I read this in one evening! A little predictable and heavy on coincidence and almost too light , but such a sweet story and perfect ending. I actually teared up. Recommend for a good summer read :)
Meredith Schorr
Jun 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was fortunate to obtain an advanced paperback of this novel. Boardwalk Summer was a delight to read! I absolutely loved the way the author weaved the past and present, and the hint of mystery kept me anxiously turning the pages. I loved the strength in both female characters, especially Violet. And I loved the romance between Mari and Jason. I will confess to bursting into tears of one point, but it was because I was truly vested in the story.

The Lit Bitch
Aug 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
About a year ago, I read Meredith Jaeger’s book, THE DRESSMAKERS DOWRY, which was her debut novel. For a debut novel, it was good but needed a little more polish to shine.

When this book came up for review, not only was I in love with the cover, but I was eager to see in what ways her writing had grown.

The other reason I decided to review this novel was the location. As a teenager, I was fascinated by California beach culture. I loved the carefree, unstructured romanticism that made the west
Jul 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Boardwalk Summer was a great summer vacation read. I took it with me for the long drive to visit my sister in Iowa. Boardwalk summer had everything I love in a novel – I love two points of view modern day and historical. I love a good mystery and I especially love great characters. I found this book very engaging.

In 1940, Violet Harcourt is unhappily married to Charles in beautiful Santa Cruz California. Their marriage started off wonderful, but Charles temper soon has Violet fearing for her
Bloss ♡
Aug 03, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2018
Linda Zagon
May 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
IMG_4252MY REVIEW OF “BOARDWALK SUMMER” BY Meredith Jaeger William Morrow, June 18, 2018

I loved everything about “Boardwalk Summer” by Meredith Jaeger. Kudos to Meredith Jaegar for writing such a captivating, intriguing, riveting, mesmerizing, and romantic story. The author is an amazing storyteller and her detailed vivid descriptions of two timelines in history is memorable. There are layers in this story, and like a puzzle, when you put the pieces together, you get a stunning , surprising, and
Karen M
Sep 10, 2018 rated it liked it
This book pulled me in with the “historical” POV until around 3/4 of the way through the book and then I found myself shaking my head. Sadly, the last quarter of the book, in my opinion, did not live up to the beginning of the book.

Many girls went to Hollywood only to end up taking jobs that slowly disintegrated their moral character. Too few jobs, too many beautiful girls, too many men more than willing to take advantage of them. Girls who had talent were sure they were going to be the next
Jamie beauty_andthebook_
Jun 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: popsugar-2018
4.5 Magical Flying Unicorn Stars!

I am so glad this is what my friend Amy (novelgossip) and I chose for our first buddy read together as #ninjatwins! I’m also glad that Amy was a bit ahead of me the whole time so I could share my theories with her without spoiling anything - and I had a lot of theories on this one - some correct, some not so much!

I have always been a fan of dual narratives and dual timelines and love to see how the timelines come together. In Boardwalk Summer, the two timelines
Jen
Jun 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Just went I thought I was getting burnt out on 40’s era fiction, Meredith Jaeger walks in with this gem of a novel. Told from dual narratives- Violet in 1940 and Mari in 2006- Jaeger reveals a story of strength and determination. Marisol is a single mom from a family of Mexican descent. Violet married into a wealthy gilded cage. Taking place in beautiful Santa Cruz, how one beauty pageant winner with stars in her eyes is connected to a family focused, caring historian is an amazing story that ...more
Pam
Oct 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.5 Historical fiction lovers will enjoy this one. It’s dual timelines and there is a good mystery. My issue was for the first half of book or so I had trouble connecting to Violet and understanding why she wanted fame so much. But her story definitely evolved and I became much more interested. I do admit to some skimming.
Aida Alberto
Jun 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I received an ARC of this book and all opinions are my own. Meredith Jaeger writes unputdownable stories drenched in emotions. The story practically leaps off the pages in its vividness. Don't pass up this amazing book. Happy reading!
Laura Lee
Jul 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Violet is a beauty queen looking to escape an abusive husband in 1940. Mari is a young Hispanic single mother in 2007 struggling to make ends meet. Their stories intersect. A quick beach read.
Dawn
Jul 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who enjoys a good summer beach story.
Recommended to Dawn by: Won it through a Goodreads giveaway!
I received this book through a Goodreads giveaway in exchange for my honest review. I absolutely loved this story! I liked how the chapters alternated between Violet's story in 1940 and Marisol's story in 2007. It kept the story interesting and moved along nicely. I loved reading about the Santa Cruz Boardwalk. I have visited there several times and could picture it in my mind. The main characters were interesting and likeable. This was an easy and enjoyable read. A perfect summer story!
Lori
Aug 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2018
I loved this book. Santa Cruz holds a very special place on my soul and this book had me feeling like I was right there on the Boardwalk.
Kathy Rhode
Sep 21, 2018 rated it liked it
I could have rated this a little higher. I had a hard time getting into it but then really liked it and couldn’t wait to see how these two main characters were connected.
Erin
Jul 16, 2018 rated it did not like it
I really wanted to like this book. It has a lovely cover and features Santa Cruz, a city I enjoyed greatly when I lived in California, because the boardwalk was like a smaller version of what we have here in NJ. However, the writing is sophomoric- what I usually refer to as "geared for the reluctant reader", as well as filled with historical inaccuracy and left-wing bullshit. Right from the opening, I was annoyed with selfish characters entering a beauty pageant against the rules in order to ...more
Reeca Elliott
This story rotates between the present and the past. It follows Marisol, a single mother, who is trying to save the historic gazebo in her home town. She uncovers an obituary about Violet Harcourt. Violet was a beauty queen who died tragically. Violet had a strong connection with Marisol’s grandfather and Marisol is determined to find out how strong!

First off…COVER LOVE! Isn’t this cover just wonderful!

There are some good and some bad about this read. I enjoyed reading about Old Hollywood. The
Shelley
Jun 28, 2018 rated it it was ok
If I have to hear Abuela/abuelo one more time!. We know you are Mexican and appreciate the culture but there are many other Spanish words to explain the culture. Very simple, definitely a Summer read. Not very satisfying story but as I said.. simple Summer read!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• The Masterpiece
  • Surfside Sisters
  • The Kennedy Debutante
  • Sailing Lessons

Meredith Jaeger is the USA Today Bestselling Author of BOARDWALK SUMMER and THE DRESSMAKER'S DOWRY. She's a native of the San Francisco Bay Area and she wrote her debut novel while working for a San Francisco startup.

THE DRESSMAKER'S DOWRY has been called "deliciously satisfying" and "impossible to put down" by New York Times bestselling author Lori Nelson Spielman and "A compelling debut novel