Start by marking “Investing Demystified: How to Invest Without Speculation and Sleepless Nights (Financial Times Series)” as Want to Read:

Don’t spend your time worrying whether you can beat the markets: you don’t need to beat them to be a successful investor. By showing you how to build a simple and rational portfolio and tailor it to your specific needs, Investing Demystified will help you generate superior returns.

With his straightforward and jargon-free advice, Lars Kroijer simplies the often complex
Published June 7th 2017 by FT Publishing International (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Investing Demystified, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Investing Demystified

Start your review of Investing Demystified: How to Invest Without Speculation and Sleepless Nights (Financial Times Series)
Julian Bu
former hedge fund manager says the average people should invest in low-cost index funds, globally diversified, using both bonds and equity.
Steve O'neill
The idea in this book is really good. Just get a world equities index tracker and use this with a bond fund domiciled in your own currency and you are good to go. Just split money between these two products based on your risk profile.

There is as per one comment above too much information beyond this point.
Travis
Aug 12, 2018 rated it it was ok
I think this book is way too long. It has some basic points and it endlessly repeats the same information.
Blue Phoenix
Dec 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Investing Demystified
I split this short review into 2 parts:
- 1 is for the general public who would like to have the review from a different angle
- 2 is for Vietnamese abroad (phần 2 mình sẽ viết bằng tiếng Việt)

PART 1.

Unlike other reviews, I am making my own takeaways through my lense as someone who works with computers a lot (lol...) with the 2 keywords: decentralization (diversification) , grid-computing (wisdom of crowds). But overall, this book "teaches" people to accept the fact that
Antony
May 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don't have much to add that I didn't write in my review of How to Own the World: A Plain English Guide to Thinking Globally and Investing Wisely, because as I see it, this is a logical continuation / complement, with a little more rigour for the deeply curious and / or sceptical.

The overall philosophy is very similar (wide diversification, set-and-forget, avoid trading fees), with some very interesting deeper detail for those who are willing to invest a bit more time, thought, and effort, in
Phoom Pentrakul
Feb 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Comforting for an investor with no edge

+Simple concepts which holds for investors with no edge
+Thorough maths workthroughs - which makes the arguments more credible and understandable

-However still very US/Eurocentric, the investment product landscape for investors native to emerging markets may be very different. For example this book recommends not investing in funds with fees over 0.6% per year. But in thailand the cheapest world equity product is around 1.1% currently.
-I am not suggesting
Luka Nikolic
Oct 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A wonderfully written book, enjoyed every single bit of it (although it took me a while to read because of work)

I would highly recommend this book to anyone seeking to learn about investing, BUT, not as their first book on investing! This is solely because it is so well researched that there is too much to take in at once (essentially my critique is a compliment lol)

Overall, a very well written book!
David Catlin
Dec 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An excellent and surprisingly easy-to-read book to guide the reader through the most grounded investing logic I’ve read for some time. I even understood 95% of it.

It’s not a ‘get rich quick’ kind of book, and I can’t vouch for the results yet either but I will adopt these simple and sensible principles and see how I do.

Lots of light-bulb moments, so it’s worthy of 5 stars.
Jon Game
Dec 24, 2017 rated it liked it
Simple advice

This book will help most investors implement a cheap and well diversified portfolio. It has convinced me to make a World ETF a major plank in my SIPP, but I still feel focussing part of the portfolio on fast growing sectors and regions will nudge my total returns up.
Robert Pocock
Dec 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book. Encourages the reader to think methodically about the decision making processes in putting together an investment portfolio. At approx. 250 pages it is also quite a concise read. Highly recommended.
Muin Rahman
great book on passive investing especially the writer gave great importance on ETFs
Wiliam
Dec 10, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good information but repetitive explanations. Could be way shortened.
Joux
Dec 02, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book's main philosophy is constantly broken down and reiterated throughout the chapters so it is good for beginner's or someone who wants to a simple investing portfolio. It was quite a light read and had a key takeaways and specific financial products to look at. I would have appreciated better editing (many typos, spotted a labelling error of a graph and could be more concise!) for one and also model portfolios (e.g. putting the rational portfolio through previous data over a period of ...more
Joe
Mar 25, 2019
Toms Jose
Dec 05, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• How to Own the World: A Plain English Guide to Thinking Globally and Investing Wisely
  • The Simple Path to Wealth: Your road map to financial independence and a rich, free life
  • Smarter Investing: Simpler Decisions for Better Results
  • The Millionaire Next Door: The Surprising Secrets of America's Wealthy
  • The Chimp Paradox: The Acclaimed Mind Management Programme to Help You Achieve Success, Confidence and Happiness
  • The Meaningful Money Handbook: Everything You Need to Know and Everything You Need to Do to Secure Your Financial Future
  • Stop Saving Start Investing: Ten Simple Rules for Effectively Investing in Funds
  • The Little Book of Common Sense Investing: The Only Way to Guarantee Your Fair Share of Stock Market Returns
  • Why We Get the Wrong Politicians
  • Your Money or Your Life
  • Don't Wait for the Tooth Fairy: How to Communicate Effectively and Create the Perfect Patient Journey in Your Dental Practice
  • Padre padrone. L'educazione di un pastore
  • The Dark Heart of Italy
  • Instrumental: A Memoir of Madness, Medication and Music
  • Why You Love Music: From Mozart to Metallica--The Emotional Power of Beautiful Sounds
  • Il golpe inglese: Da Matteotti a Moro: Le prove della guerra segreta per il controllo del petrolio e dell'Italia
  • Now We Shall Be Entirely Free
  • Metropolis (Bernie Gunther, #14)

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
“Long-term bonds compensate investors for interest-rate risks by offering higher yields and you have the further benefit of matching the timing of your assets and needs.” 0 likes