Start by marking “Holly Freakin' Hughes” as Want to Read:
Holly Freakin' Hughes

Holly Freakin' Hughes

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  1,656 ratings  ·  252 reviews
"People like you don't fall in love with people like me."

Meet Holly Hughes, a moderately successful teen advice columnist living in a studio apartment on the Upper East Side with her boyfriend Stephen. She has it all, but at the ripe age of thirty-one, she wants more. She wants to be married, she wants a family, and she's going to have it all with Stephen.

At least, th
Published August 1st 2017

To ask other readers questions about Holly Freakin' Hughes, please sign up.
Lynda Kelly It did mention one but I've just been searching online and I can't find one !!

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of Holly Freakin' Hughes
NMmomof4
3 Stars

Overall Opinion: I am torn about this book and how to rate it, because it was enjoyable but it also rubbed me the wrong way at times. I think this author definitely has a lot of potential, and with the great attitude that she will take any feedback as constructive -- she'll have no problem in getting there! I think this would be a good read for fans of instalove with sweet and sensitive Hs, and characters that want a HEA.

I liked the overall storyline, and I also liked that both characte
Love2ReadRomance
Jul 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
FREE on Amazon for limited time!!!

Review
Holly Freakin' Hughes is AWESOME!!! The cover is absolutely perfect for this heartfelt, fun, and entertaining book. I seriously could not put this book down! Kelsey Kingsley is such a talented author, and I can't wait to read more of her work!
JewelsyGoolsy
Jul 29, 2017 rated it liked it
3 Stars

I gratefully received an arc for an honest review.

All 3 stars goes to the author who needs to be given kudos for her bravery by sending me this book to review (even after I warned her that I was a picky cow when it comes to my romance tropes). She definitely has a talent for writing and I encourage her to keep pursuing and perfecting her craft.

So although I'd love to give more than 3 stars for her skills alone; unfortunately I need to rate the storyline and characters along with it, and
Natalie ✩★ The Biblioholic ★✩
When I first saw the cover of this book, I must admit that I was a bit thrown off and had no idea wht to expect. However, after thoroughly enjoying this story, I found the cover to be quite apropos. I can easily picture Brandon with his coffee and Holly with her tea.

So what's this story about?

Holly was in her early 30s, had found some success as a teen advice columnist, and lived with her boyfriend of 5 years, Stephen. And then her life fell apart. Thinking that Stephen was about to propose, he
Eve (Between The Bookends)

description

Alas, I am going to call it a day on this one. The author has a lot of talent for sure, but I just wasn't connecting with the characters especially the hero. I think I just prefer mine to be more alpha and this guy was definitely a beta.

But like I said there is undeniably a lot of potential with this author and I will be keeping my eyes peeled for future books (hopefully with some strong alpha males *wink-wink*).

✰ Bianca ✰ BJ's Book Blog ✰

description

Five years ago Brandon's fiancée left him. They were together for 11 years. But back then, at a time when his books were finally becoming successful, she just couldn't handle it anymore. She wanted to be the famous author in this relationship.

Holly kind of lives through the same thing now. She's just been un-fiancéd by Stephen. He told her he can't marry her because he's .... gay.

Holly leaves NYC to move back home to Long Island; into her sister's house, to take care of her little niece. Because
Jo - •.★Reading Is My Bliss★.•
Holly has had the week from hell, her long time boyfriend has dumped her for the person that he says his heart truly belongs to and her long term employment has been terminated. She is now single and unemployed at 31 years old.

This is how Holly finds herself living with her big sister and looking after her niece, Anna. She settles into life in a small town, nursing her broken heart and trying to figure out her next move. These life changes may be difficult to adjust to right now but they also op
TereseDK
Jul 28, 2017 rated it it was ok
Elle's Book Blog
Aug 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Release Date: August 1, 2017
Genre: Contemporary Romance

Holly Freakin' Huges is a fun and lighthearted novel that will make readers smile! Kelsey Kingsley is a new author to me, but I expect great things from her in the future because this is a strong read that had me feeling all sorts of delight! I was rooting for these characters from beginning to end and could sympathize with their feelings and actions- which to me, makes a great novel.

This one has everything romance junkies crave- a beau
Nadwa @PainfullyFictional
[I was generously provided with a free advance review copy by the author in exchange for an honest review; that doesn't affect my review in any way]
I understand what the author wanted to deliver through this book; the friends-to-lovers trope is one loved by a lot of people out there, myself included. But there were a lot of things I couldn't cope with. The first was that the main character, Holly, seemed to me like the kind of person that cannot cease complaining although she literally had ever
Mindy Lou's Book Review
Aug 01, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017
Poor Holly just can't really cut a break in life. She's dumped by her boyfriend of 5 years, only to find out he's gay and has been cheating on her with anther man. Days later she loses her job which forces her to move in with her sister and become the babysitter for her niece. After a few months of wallowing in her relationship woes, she meets a man that ignites her interest only to have him reject her.

This may sound depressing but the author did a good job of making this into a rom com and int
Kelsey
Aug 08, 2017 marked it as to-read  ·  (Review from the author)
FREE FOR A LIMITED TIME!

EXCERPT
Standing outside the door, I inhaled and exhaled slowly before knocking, making a conscious effort to clear my brain of anything but excitement for the night ahead. I told myself that Brandon didn’t want me, Brandon was only a friend, and with a final deep breath, I knocked.

As if he had been waiting right on the other side, the door flew open. There to greet me was Ben and three large tail-wagging Labrador Retrievers, two black a
Coco.V
Nov 27, 2018 marked it as to-read
Shelves: freebie
💝 FREE on Amazon today (11/27/2018)!💝

Blurb:
"People like you don't fall in love with people like me."

At least, that's what she thought, until Stephen announces he's gay, and the domino effect of unf
Jul 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
~~~Received an ARC in exchange for an honest review.~~~

4.5 🌟 Stars

Loved this romantic and heartfelt story! Holly feels like she's lost a lot, including her long-term boyfriend and her career, as well as the satisfaction and prestige that came with them. She's at a new low. Brandon has it all: a successful career, the accompanying money, good looks, and plenty of attention from women. He should be at an all time high, but something is missing.

Mild to medium steam level, some swearing, and an awkw
Lisa
Aug 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
I was given an ARC for an honest review.

Three words: The B. Davis *swoon*

For Kelsey Kingsley's debut album I thought she did a great job. This book had everything I love in a book. Laughter, witty banter, heartache, romance, warm-hearted, and the frustration. Yes, I wanted to throw the iPad a time or three. But hey, that's what makes a great book, right? Holly Freakin' Hughes was all that and most importantly, it left me wanting more. Definitely a fab new indie author that I've added to my lis
Tarrah Anders
Jul 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
~~~Received an ARC in exchange for an honest review.~~~

What can I say?
Holly freakin' Hughes!

She's down on her luck and then a friendship comes along with some inklings of ... unrequited romance? Or is it?

First, I wanted to punch Holly a few times and say 'perk up buttercup'! Then, I wanted to punch Brandon for being a dipsh*t!

I loved the story, the characters, and the words. The relationship between Holly and the neighbor was hilarious.

I thought the story was great and I couldn't put it dow
Amy
Jul 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wow I was really impressed with this story and reading it you would never know that this is the authors very first book. The characters are really well developed and relateable, the editing was flawless and the actual story was captivating I found myself not wanting to put it down. If you’re like me and your TBR list is longer than remotely possible to concur it can be hard to take a chance on a new author but this one is worth a shot.

This story is between Holly and Brandon both who think that t
Flavs is Mrs David Gandy♥~♥’
I Voluntarily reviewed a copy of this book

Five years ago Brandon's fiancée left him because she couldn't face the fact that he was becoming famous and she wasn't. 11 Years and she just packed up and left. Now he's a famous author, travelling all over and not home all that much.

Holly had almost the same experience, well almost. Her boyfriend who she thought was going to be propose told her he can't marry her, because... he's gay! After all that, she lost her job, and had to move back home, live w
Evelyn Grabas
May 27, 2019 rated it did not like it
One of the worse books I have ever had the misfortune to pick up,
Consider: A man decides to marry the woman he has been with for 10 years (Really - 10 years?) She decides to reject him (I would have a lot sooner than that), so he decides to become celibate for the rest of his life (come on!)
Now we have a woman who has been living with a man for 2 years and he decides to reject her stating that he is gay, which she never realized (really?) even though they never had sex. (hint, hint) So she moves
Maren Lee
Jul 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I received an ARC in exchange for a honest review. I loved this book. I can't believe it's her debut novel! Such great writing - some of her descriptions took my breath away.

The story is super sweet. The main characters both have baggage and need to get rid of that baggage before they can be together. I really loved their journey and was not disappointed! Highly recommend! I will read more from this author!
Sandra
Sep 09, 2017 rated it liked it
I struggled with how to rate Holly Freakin’ Hughes, the debut novel from Kelsey Kingsley. Kingsley is a talented writer. She has a delightful voice that made this very easy to read. Despite all my issues with HFH, I was engaged in the story of Holly Hughes and Brandon Davis, two characters I really struggled to like. To me, that says a lot about this author and where she’s headed. Kingsley did a great job of bringing each scene vividly to the reader, making me laugh at times with some of the cha ...more
Kristen
Sep 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
GENRE: Contemporary
THEME: Romance, Book Lovers, Chick Lit
RECEIVED: Tour

REVIEW:
This was such a refreshing a fun read, yes there is heartbreaking emotional relationships at the beginning but its fun in the sense that the readers get to watch an author and super sweet woman fall in love. This is a lighter romance, some ups and downs for both leads but they really have this fantastic and sweet connection that I couldn’t wait to for these two to figure it out.

Holly Freakin’ Hughes follows Ho
Sissy's Romance Book Review
'Holly Freakin' Hughes ' by Kelsey Kingsley is the story of Holly and Brandon.
Holly was in a 5 year relationship when she thought her boyfriends was going to ask her to marry him...instead he told her that he was gay. Next she lost her job and had to move in with her sister and become a baby sister to her niece. When she happens to meet Brandon she is quickly attracted to him.
Brandon also had a harsh break up with a women he was about to marry. Julia broke it off with him two months before the
Tina "IRead2Escape"
I loved this book! I mean loved it, loved it! The author states in the blurb "This book will also be a part of a series of at least three books. They just haven't been born yet. Patience is appreciated." I can't be patient. I need more. It's not like this is a little book that you zoom through and you're left wanting more because it wasn't enough. This is a story packed with everything you could want - great dialogue, strong story line, characters so well written you feel like you know them, lov ...more
Avigail
Yes, I am a person that like the books that I read to engross me and stay connected with the characters. The romance in this book is a slow burner, and Holly and Brandon build their relationship base on true friendship, especially after they get hurt from a traumatic relationship they had.
Brandon is a dream boyfriend; he is down to earth, with perfect gentleman manners, his mother should be very proud of him. I wish men like this will come to my way, but a girl can also dream.
Kelsey Kingsley is
Whit
Jul 12, 2017 added it
Thanks to a budding friendship I was privy to a pre read . I am halfway through as I tend to read 5 books at a time but this is probably one of the best written first releases I have ever read by an indie author. It is obvious the author enjoys writing AND reading. Well written. Well placed dialogue. POV that is not like most every other book. I will wait for the kindle release I preordered to finish it as I can adjust the screen better in that format. I am sure I won't be disappointed. And I ty ...more
Colleen
Aug 01, 2017 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book. It was a quick read. Greasy storyline, but I would have liked a bit more character development. Loved the ending, but I felt like it was a bit unbelievable. Things came to a resolution a bit too perfectly to be believable.
L.J. Evans
Jul 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What a truly lovely debut! I can't wait to read more by Kelsey Kingsley. Holly Freakin' Hughes and Brandon Freakin' Davis made me laugh and hurt for them both. Were there predictable moments? Sure, but it was a love story that made you want to be a part of it. It was a story where I will remember the characters years from now. And for someone who loves good lines, like me, the book was a trove of them. Here are some that I tagged.
1)"I wasn't in fact stupid. Just a woman in love with a man she k
Krissie
Apr 27, 2019 rated it did not like it
Jaysus this book was BAD. Why is it so difficult to find a good easy happy read?

So the female protagonist's dream is to meet a rich man and have his babies? Eh. Great. She whinges about being just a babysitter and not having money, without having even tried to do anything different. She appears to think someone owes her some millions, but why? And then the whole plot of meeting a secret millionaire celebrity and the cheesy writing... "Winning graciously"? "My ovaries aches just a little"?!

I coul
Audrey Edits
Jul 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
** I received this ARC in exchange for an honest review **

Wow...the fact that this is a DEBUT novel by a new indie author just blows my mind!! I would have never guessed that in a million years! I was sucked into this story immediately, and once I started reading, it was driving me crazy every time I had to stop for real world things! The way the author created the characters, the settings, the chemistry, the humor, and all the intricate details in between was amazing!! I laughed, teared up seve
Making Connections: 4762. - HOLLY FREAKIN' HUGHES by Kelsey Kingsley 3 10 Jul 22, 2017 09:52PM
PRE-ORDER NOW!!! 1 4 Jul 05, 2017 03:50AM
RELEASE DATE!!! 1 1 Jul 01, 2017 01:45AM
RELEASE DATE COMING SOON 1 1 Jun 15, 2017 02:33PM

• Summer at Sea (Summer #1)
  • The Confetti Pact
  • The Honeymooner (Paradise Bay, #1)
  • Mind Reader
  • Man Hunting in Memphis
  • The Trouble with Tabbies (Love & Pets, #2)
  • Coming Home (Sisters in a Small Town, #1)
  • The Problem with Pugs (Love & Pets, #1)
  • Always Room for Cupcakes (Cupcakes, #1)
  • Crazy in Love (Matt & Anna, #1)
  • Love Like Fire (Hearts in Hendricks, #2)
  • Breakup Boot Camp
  • The Sweetest Kiss (Kissed by the Bay Book 4)
  • Slim to None
  • Dazed and Divorced (Rom-Com on the Edge #1)
  • No More Bad Dates (High Tea, #1)
  • Love Muffin and Chai Latte (The Monsoon #1)
  • Because We're Worth It
When I was a wee lassie, I was told by my preschool teachers that I was a natural at storytelling. When I was just a little older than that, an old friend's mother said to me, "Kelsey, one day your books are going to be on the shelves at the library."

Well, Diane, I don't know if my books are ever going to be on the shelves of libraries, but I'm sure as hell going to try.

When I'm not writing stor

News & Interviews

“Nobody should ever make you feel like less of a person because of what you do, Holly, and anybody who feels they are able to do that is the lesser person—not you.” 1 likes
“Thank God people like you fall in love with people like me.” 1 likes