Start by marking “A Good Life to the End” as Want to Read:
A Good Life to the End

A Good Life to the End

A professor of intensive care asks why so many elderly people linger in pain and confusion in ICU when all they want is to die at home in peace and with their loved ones. A crucial and timely rallying cry against unnecessary suffering and for humanity and gentle acceptance at the end of our lives.
A huge majority of people at the end of their lives want to die at home, but
Published July 2017 by Allen and Unwin

To ask other readers questions about A Good Life to the End, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Good Life to the End

Fiona
Aug 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: adult, issues, non-fiction
Outlines the very real problems that people are experiencing with end of life care and the way hospitals compartmentalise health problems, instead of accepting that all the health problems often come back to the same cause - getting old, or frailty.
Highly recommended for all who are dealing with aging parents, or those who are dealing with parents who are aging and have a terminal disease. It makes you think about the hard conversations we need to have, so we know what our parents want, and what
Kolumbina
Nov 27, 2017 rated it liked it
An interesting and a very informative book about older age, medical system in Australia and dying. I decided to read this book cos I wanted to know what is in front of me and what can you expect with aging.
A small book, a very quick read.
Learned heaps of information about older age problems.
Not one of the best books but I found some answers.
Julie
Mar 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Ken Hillman a Intensive Care Specialist Dr working at a large Australian hospital. In this book, he talks about aging and how modern medicine fails many of our elderly family members. As we age and become more frail, Drs may still insist on continuing treatments and offering surgery that may not help patients. Many elderly do not want a hospitalized end to their lives, but rather would have help to live well at home as long as they are able, rather than undergoing unnecessary and painful tests a ...more
Robyn Fallshaw
Jun 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An interesting and informative book. A must read for everyone over 65 and their families. Accepting death when your time has come and dying with dignity amongst friends, is far preferable to dying in hospital hooked up to machines, in a vain attempt to prong life, when you are old and your body is too worn out to continue. Hillman explains how modern medicine has brought us to where we are with the old and frail and how it fails them, when there time has come to die graciously.
David Carey
Excellent. I liked the clarity of Hillman's writing, which matches the topics theme of frankness about death and dying.
Emma Bothwell
Feb 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I must admit, when I first started reading this book I thought it'd be an Australian's version of Being Mortal by Atul Gawande (which just made me want to re-read Being Mortal, because that book is amazing). But Hillman went on to provide a perspective on aging and dying well that I had not expected...but that I really appreciated*. His stories and descriptions used to illustrate the unfortunate state of medical care for older and dying adults are simultaneously blunt and refreshingly relatable, ...more
Lisa
A Good Life to the End has to be one of the most depressing books I’ve read this year, but it’s an important one that faces up to some unpleasant facts.

Although I think it deserves a wider audience, I think the book will have most resonance for those of us confronting the end of life for aged parents, who are having to make decisions for loved ones no longer able to make those decisions for themselves, and who are realising that the same issues apply to us as we ourselves get older.

Professor Ken
Kate
Aug 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018, non-fiction
Excellent food for thought. Asks whether all medical intervention is in the best interest of our elderly people and prompts the reader to reflect on quality of life, particularly when one is nearing the natural conclusion of their life.
Connie Mason
Apr 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An informative and honest guide to managing aging and dying.
Leslie