Start by marking “Silent Victim” as Want to Read:
Silent Victim

Silent Victim

3.95  ·  Rating details ·  23,823 ratings  ·  1,630 reviews
Emma’s darkest secrets are buried in the past. But the truth can’t stay hidden for long.

Emma is a loving wife, a devoted mother…and an involuntary killer. For years she’s been hiding the dead body of the teacher who seduced her as a teen.

It’s a secret that might have stayed buried if only her life had been less perfect. A promotion for Emma’s husband, Alex, means they can
Published March 1st 2018 by Thomas & Mercer

To ask other readers questions about Silent Victim, please sign up.
Caroline Mitchell As the author, I can confirm there are no rape scenes in this book. There are no graphic sex or very violent scenes shown but it does portray scenes o…moreAs the author, I can confirm there are no rape scenes in this book. There are no graphic sex or very violent scenes shown but it does portray scenes of emotional manipulation. Feel free to download the first three sample chapters for free on Amazon to get a feel for the book.(less)

·  23,823 ratings  ·  1,630 reviews

Start your review of Silent Victim
Gary
Oct 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This stand alone novel by Caroline Mitchell is a great read. I started the book very shortly after receiving it and due to the suspense built up by the author was unable to put it down.

Emma loves her husband Alex and together with her son they are moving to a new home in Leeds. But Emma has a dark secret, for a number of years she’s been hiding the dead body of Luke, the teacher who seduced her as a teen.

The book is written from the perspective of Emma, then and now, her husband Alex and Luke
Liz
Apr 29, 2018 rated it really liked it

I became a fan of Caroline Mitchell through her Ruby Preston series. This book is a stand alone.

The story is told from multiple perspectives across a wide time frame. Emma is a young mother with a dark secret. She and her husband have been living in her family house in Mersea Island but her husband’s recent promotion means they will be moving. And that means she finally needs to dispose of the body of the teacher whom she killed four years previous. She’s got issues galore. As the book goes on,
Malia
Jun 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery-suspense
Silent Victim is my first book by Caroline Mitchell, but it won't be my last. For some reason, I had low expectations going into this book, however I am happy to report I was very wrong! It is a twisty, clever story with an engaging plot and well-developed characters. Recommended!

Find more reviews and bookish fun at http://www.princessandpen.com
Joanne Robertson
OMG!!! Talk about a book being addictive! Once I started Silent Victim it became physically impossible to put it down! It has shot straight onto the list of my favourite books of the year so far and is definitely my favourite book by this author…….ever! I have always enjoyed her police procedural novels but this standalone is something very special indeed. The twisty plot, the unreliable narrative told by some rather unlikable characters and the unrelenting tension meant the build up here was im ...more
Joey R.
Aug 13, 2018 rated it liked it
2.5 Stars— I noticed that “Silent Victim” has consistently averaged over 4 Stars on Amazon.com. So, I thought I was up to giving an unknown British author a chance ( since this approach worked well in me ‘discovering ‘ John Marrs). First, I can conclusively state that Caroline Mitchell is no Marrs. Her writing is uneven, and the plot bogs down at times with unnecessary details about Emma’s (the main character’s) business and consistently drags out scenes in the book. The author also lacks consis ...more
Zoe
Dec 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Atmospheric, menacing, and incredibly riveting!

Silent Victim is a character-driven, thrill ride that reminds us that skeletons often find their way out of the closet no matter how well they are hidden or buried and highlights just how easily someone's behaviour can be manipulated, misinterpreted, questioned, and used against them.

The writing is taut and complex. The characterization is spot on with a cast of characters that are distressed, raw and consumed, and a setting, Mersea Island, that is
Dita
Feb 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Fast-paced and suspenseful! I never had any idea where this book was taking me but the ride was full of twists and turns and I was happy to be on it. It's tough to finish well and this one was satisfying if not the "bang" I was hoping for after being so enchanted by the rest.
Halley Knigge
Feb 06, 2018 rated it did not like it
"She brushed an errant lock from her cheek, panting from the exertion of rushing to be on time. I regarded her with a look of amused curiosity. Inside I was thrilled that a gorgeous young creature would be subservient to me for the forthcoming year."

Was very interested in the plot, but hoo boy was the writing terrible. Overwraught, immature and awkward. Little to no character development. Lots of long internal monologues that sound like nothing a real person would ever think.
Andrea
Mar 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
I was hovering either to give book a 3.5 or 4* rating,gave a four as did enjoy this book a stalker or is it all in her mind.but found it abit slow in parts it's me I'm used to faster paced books.it all comes together.good read.
Lyn❤Loves❤Listening #AUDIOBOOKADDICT
Audio - 4.5 stars
Story 3.5 stars

The story alternates between the past and the present and three povs: Emma's, her husband, Alex, and her high school teacher, Luke. I wish the story had been more suspenseful and fast paced, but the mystery was pretty decent. I was left wondering who was lying and who was telling the truth for most of the story so I'm rounding up in my rating.
Tulay
Feb 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Amazing thriller.

So glad I picked this Amazon First Read selection of February books. Story is told as first person by three characters and jumps from 2003 to 2017. Author's writing style keeps your interest, keeps you in suspense. Thrilling, mysterious and suspenseful all the way to the breathtaking ending. Books written by British authors always takes me longer to read, because I have to stop and Google the places and read the news, look at the pictures. Hope to visit Mersea one day.
Theresa Alan
Jun 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this mystery/suspense novel, which is told from various characters at different times in history. There is teacher Luke and student Emma in 2002, and now Emma with her husband Alex in 2017. I particularly liked how Caroline Mitchell chose to wrap up this story—I did not see it coming and the tension is great.
The Book Review Café
Oct 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Holy flipping moly Caroline Mitchell has only gone and written another fabulous psychological thriller that’s worthy of all the stars, it’s a MUST read. Darkly deceptive, chilling and thrilling Silent Victim has gone straight on my top reads of 2018 list. I’m a huge fan of this author I love her style of writing and her attention to detail. Whether it be crime or psychological thriller Caroline Mitchell knows how to grab the readers attention and this book is no different, from the “OMG” prologu ...more
Amy
Feb 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
Do you like books that keep you up late at night because there is just NO way you can put it down until you find out the truth? What about books that are relentlessly paced with short chapters that end on mini cliffhangers leaving you reading chapter after chapter until you realize you’re finished? Or what about books that are full of thrills and excitement but also have a domestic suspense vibe chock full of secrets and lies? If you answered yes to these questions then please allow me to introd ...more
Melania 🍒
Apr 11, 2018 rated it it was ok
1.5|5

Silent Victim has done nothing for me. It’s not a mystery, since we know from the beginning pretty much everything that’s going on and the surprise elements weren’t such a big surprise, it’s barely a thriller , the characters are awkwardly written and the story is so over-the-top , I’ve rolled my eyes dozens of times while listening to this book. But what I disliked the most was the way the main character was built.She was so desperate , so weak and vulnerable, so needy , plain stupid a han
Christina
Feb 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
4 stars

"A gentleman is simply a patient wolf."

Emma is a loving mother, a devoted wife, a successful business owner and an accidental killer. The story opens up with Emma attempting to bury the body of a man named Luke, her former teacher who had seduced her, who she has just murdered. Fast forward 4 years and everything is going great in Emma's life. She and her husband, Alex, have an adorable son and a great relationship. Her business, a gently used wedding gown boutique, is thriving.
Then Alex
Eva
Nov 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I’ve never been on a rollercoaster ride but I imagine coming off it, feels a little something like I felt when I finished reading Silent Victim : a little dizzy, maybe a tad nauseous and with legs like jelly.

Emma hasn’t had an easy time but now she has a loving husband and a wonderful son. Things are looking up until her husband gets a job opportunity in Leeds and is set on moving and selling their house. Because the field at the back of their house hides a secret. It’s where Emma buried the bod
Angela Marsons
Mar 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I have read this author's books from the very beginning and have followed her career with interest and I have to say that with each new journey she shows me something fresh. I always claim that the last was my favourite and this is no exception with Silent Victim. My favourite books in the whole world are the ones that waste nothing. In this book every scene either serves to move the plot forward or characterise. I loved that it was straight in to find our main character, Emma, burying a body an ...more
Constantine
Apr 30, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: x-3-star, z2020-04
Rating: Good

Genre:
Mystery Thriller

I loved the synopsis a lot and thought this would be an extremely good thriller with lots of twists and surprises. Emma has killed her teacher and buried his dead body in the garden of the house she lives with her husband Alex and their child Jamie. The husband wants to move and sell the house and here is where Emma feels the terror that her crime will be out soon.

The narration is done from three perspectives (Emma, Alex, and Luke) and in different time frames,
Elaine
Jul 20, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Can I give this no stars?

Goodreads, you really need to figure out a way for reviewers to do this.

** Hilarious and gross spoilers ahead **

I don't even know how to begin to review the hot mess that is Silent Victim.

1. Do I start with the clunky writing? No, because terrible writing is a dime a dozen.

2. How about the contrived and phony plot?

Emma has a secret. She killed the teacher who seduced her when she was a teen and buried him in the backyard.

But when she returns to retrieve his body
Feb 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
I’m a big fan of this authors books so couldn’t wait to read her new stand alone novel, Silent Victim.

The story flicks mainly between husband and wife, Emma and Alex. Emma’s chapters feature past and present so we can see the build up of events with her teacher and present, where her life seems to be spiralling out of control.

Moving house and a brand new start is something that most of us would love and look forward to. Emma though is someone who has something that is eating away at her. She lov
Rachel
Nov 14, 2018 rated it it was ok
2.5 Stars

2.5 Eye-Rolling Stars

Poor Emma is married to the dumbest, most easily manipulated man in the world! Sadly, she thinks he's wonderful!

SUMMARY
I'm not giving away any spoilers here when I say Emma finally confessed to her husband that she literally had a body buried in the backyard. They were about to move and she needed to come clean before they sold the house. When Emma was sixteen years old, her teacher, Luke Priestwood, coerced her into having an inappropriate relationship with him. T
Hans
Sep 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A superb stand alone story. It starts slow but profound. The end is very unsuspected and utterly believable.
Shell Baker
Jan 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
OMFG Caroline mitchell is back on form with this corker of a book! Seriously I loved it that much I actually don't know where to begin with this review. So i will start off by saying that I am a massive fan of Caroline's writing and this is her best book yet….it has totally blown me away.

I have to say that I sucked in hook, line and sinker from the very first page and from that moment I knew it was going to be the bollocks…. And it certainly was! Yes you never see me swear in my reviews but this
Roz
Mar 13, 2018 rated it it was ok
“You can’t walk away from your demons… They’ll catch up with you in the end.”

I feel like this could’ve been a good book if the first half wasn’t dragging as much and the second half wasn’t so rushed. It wasn’t the most original book and I wasn’t impressed with the ending either.

I wasn’t happy with the characters either, they were two dimensional with no personality whatsoever, the multiple POVs had the same voice, even the bad guy wasn’t evil enough.

So I guess in the end I didn’t much care
PinkAmy loves books, cats and naps
DNF, skimmed through to figure out what happened.

I’m in the minority; most readers enjoyed the story.
SILENT VICTIM is told from the points of view of Emma, her husband Alex and Luke, the man Emma “murdered” from time periods of 2002, 2003, 2013 and 2017. I was often confused whose first person POV I was reading and from what time period. I didn’t like or feel connected to any of the characters, didn’t know who was a reliable narrator or not and didn’t care.

I’ve got to choose my Kindle First to
Noelle
Mar 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
My thanks to the author, Caroline Mitchell for an ARC of this book – below you will find my honest opinion/thoughts on this novel.
Set on Mersea Island/Colchester the reader is immersed in a world where a fear of discovery, abuse of trust, lack of self- control, manipulation, secrets, guilt, shame, vulnerability and mistrust wraps itself around us as we follow the story to uncover the truth but… Sometimes the truth hurts more than a lie. 😱
Wooooo- weeee! What an intense prologue – my mind was raci
Carole Gourlay
SILENT VICTIM by CAROLINE MITCHELL

Well, what can I say!! I think Caroline has become one of the best crime writers for suspense I’ve ever read. It doesn't matter whether she's writing about murders or psychological thrillers, she excels at both. I’m an avid crime reader, and read through books like a knife through butter, but her writing even leaves me bewildered and bemused. Just as you think that you’ve got it straight in your head, and who’s done what, everything takes a twist and nothing is
Bill Kupersmith
May 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Having many fond memories of my days as an overseas member of the West Mersea Yacht Club, I couldn’t resist reading Caroline Mitchell’s Silent Victim. And the basis for the plot, a relationship between a teenage school student and a teacher is always a draw for me both as a reader and a writer. And as Caroline Mitchell is both an author of paranormal stories (including her own) and a delightful Twitterer, I so wanted this book to succeed. Partly she threw away her talents as this is neither a pa ...more
Darinda
Apr 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Emma and her husband are preparing to move. Before they go, Emma needs to destroy evidence from a crime she committed. She digs in the yard, but the body she buried there a few years earlier is gone. Emma panics and confesses her crime to her husband. As strange events start to occur, Emma starts to doubt herself more and more.

Told from alternating points of view and timelines. This one took me a little while to get into, but I ended up enjoying it. A fast-paced and suspenseful read.

• When She Returned
  • The Other Wife
  • The Friend
  • The Thinnest Air
  • The Perfect Child
  • Right Behind You (DCI Tom Douglas, #9)
  • The Woman in Our House
  • The Good Samaritan
  • The Promise
  • Forget Her Name
  • The Retreat
  • Their Last Breath
  • The Picture on the Fridge
  • Deserve To Die
USA Today and Global #1 Bestselling Thriller Author.

Caroline originates from Ireland and now lives with her family in a pretty village on the coast of Essex. A former police detective, Caroline has worked in CID and specialised in roles dealing with vulnerable victims, high-risk victims of domestic abuse, and serious sexual offences. She now writes full time.
Set in Shoreditch, London, her DS Ruby

Articles featuring this book

The danger is always close to home in domestic suspense thrillers. Here, the narrators are unreliable, the terrors are psyc...
“You can’t walk away from your demons,’ Theresa said, her eyes glazing over. ‘They’ll catch up with you in the end.” 1 likes
“Good morning, class,’ I said, raising my voice to gain their attention. ‘My name is Luke Priestwood and I’m replacing Mr Piper, who’s retired early due to ill health.’ They seemed surprised but pleased to see me, and I glided over the lie. In reality, Mr Piper had been pushed.” 1 likes