Start by marking “Isabella: Queen Without a Conscience (Plantagenet Queens #2)” as Want to Read:
Isabella: Queen Without a Conscience (Plantagenet Queens #2)

Isabella: Queen Without a Conscience

(Plantagenet Queens #2)

3.84  ·  Rating details ·  96 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
The untold story of one of history's most beautiful and controversial women -- a queen obsessed with her lust for power and recognition.
Published December 6th 2006 by Trafford Publishing (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Isabella, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Isabella

Marita
Jan 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Lovers of historical fiction
This novel tells the story of beautiful Isabella of Angoulême, once Queen of England, who seemed to have been very much disliked in England as well as in France.

As a child she was betrothed to Hugh Lusignan IX, Count of La Marche, but King John who had had his first marriage to Isabella of Gloucester annulled, decided that young Isabella of Angoulême was to be his bride instead. She and John had 5 children, the eldest of which was the future Henry III of England. A large part of the book covers
Deborah Pickstone
This is really excellent! Another uncommon subject and a real historian writing it. At no point did my howler sensors quiver, which means that even if Ms Bard made any, her writing was good enough to override them. I will be after her other books immediately and am uttering my usual glad cry to a favourite author (yes, favourite - on the basis of just one book): Please write faster!
Therese
$9.99

Unfortunately I wasn’t able to find a good biography of King John or even a fictional account (more true than not) of his life, and so I have relied on a number of different books. When I read about the monarchy I also like to read about the major characters related to any given King, including the spouses. Until reading about the Plantagenets and finally getting to King John, I had never heard of Isabella of Angouleme, Countess in her own right after her father, Count Aymer died. She was b
Elena
Isabella of Angoulême is one of the lesser known English queens, and yet I am quite curious about her (possibly because I have a thing for historical women with bad reputations). Rachel Bard's novel had been on my radar for a while, and I am happy I finally got the to read it.

One of the things I liked the most about the novel is that it is told through the perspectives of different characters. This was a good choice because it gave a wider view of the story and the players. The book is also clea
Kathleen
Dec 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very fine book, well written and researched and I enjoyed it a lot. Isabella had a position that was always difficult for a woman of her times.

I am reminded of the song sung by Guinevere in Camelot, "Oh Genevieve, Saint Genevieve, where were you when my youth was sold? Dear Genevieve, sweet Genevieve, shan't I be young before I'm old?"

She was exiled from England after the death of John and what then was she to do?

I enjoyed this book a great deal and hope to read the other books by this autho
Pat
May 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A fascinating woman in history. A great read. I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Shannon
Mar 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017-reads
Book subject was very interesting but there were some format inconsistencies that made me a little nuts.
April Martinez
May 25, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Isabella, Queen Without a Conscience by Rachel Bard

I love this book, the history about this woman is so spellbinding! The author brings the characters to life. Each chapter telling each characters point of view. It's like having several books in one story. So much has been written about the rest of this family, finally we get a book about Isabella! The history seems real from the point of view of this author, and she brings the characters to life. This is a hard book to read, it's worth it!
Diana Meisler
This could have been a great book but for t terrible editing.

I was really looking forward to reading this book. However it has fatal flaws. Just a little bit into the story, the words are cut off on the left margin. A little bit further there are words missing on the right margin. Do not waste your time or money on this book: it is unreadable. I didn't even try to finish it.
Jdimitroff
Apr 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Interesting

I enjoy Ms Bard's s style and conjecture. She has chosen some less renowned historical figures and brought them to life. There were some formatting issues in a few places but not enough to disrupt the story.
Acid Drop
Aug 06, 2018
Barbie
Dec 22, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Rachel Bard had written eight nonfiction books from cookbooks to travel guides to histories when she began her series of historical novels about medieval queens. Her first, Queen Without a Country, was about Berengaria, wife of King Richard the Lionheart. In Isabella, she examines the life of Isabella of Angoulme, who succeeded Berengaria on the English throne. Her next, A Reed in the Wind, stars ...more

Plantagenet Queens (3 books)
  • Queen Without a Country (Plantagenet Queens #1)
  • A Reed in the Wind: Joanna Plantagenet, Queen of Sicily (Plantagenet Queens #3)