Start by marking “High Risk: Children Without A Conscience” as Want to Read:
High Risk: Children Without A Conscience

High Risk: Children Without A Conscience

IS YOUR CHILD AT HIGH RISK?

Who are these children without a conscience? They are children who cannot trust, children who cannot love, children who will not be loved. They grow up to be charmers, con artists, amoral entrepreneurs, thieves, drug users, pathological liars, and worst of all: psychopathic killers . . . and they are often the product of even the
Published March 1st 1989 by Bantam (first published 1987)

To ask other readers questions about High Risk, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about High Risk

Start your review of High Risk: Children Without A Conscience
Mia
Apr 05, 2015 rated it it was ok
This book was loaned to me by my clinical supervisor, with a caveat about the age of the material and the fact that it was written for a general rather than professional audience.

Much of the information in this book is dated but the larger problem is that it is so drenched in hyperbole that it is hard to take seriously. The title for section one: America: a breeding ground for psychopaths?" sets the FOX-newsish tone of the information provided about the frequency of "character disordered"
Jan 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
I had to read this for my Human Development class. While it was written some years ago, the content is still very relevant. It's scary to think that it's actually worse in many ways. Since this book was written, we've had Columbine, Sandy Hook, etc., so many cases of the psychopathic mindset. It makes you think what are we doing wrong in this country and in this age? I have to admit if you read this book you will probably find yourself diagnosing people! You'll wonder, are they unattached, are ...more
Fishface
Mar 13, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mental-health
I should have known I was in trouble when they couldn't even manage to get subject and verb to agree in the title of this book. There was nothing here but a lot of hand-wringing about what the world is coming to. The contents are anecdotal and the author makes no real attempt to expand on what the anecdotes might mean. Are these stories business as usual, typical things you find on the normal spectrum of child behavior? Do they represent something new and dangerous? The author says they are part ...more
Cyrus Carter
Feb 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I was reminded of the importance of this book (read over 10 years ago) while watching the congressional hearings with Martin Shkreli. The book is timeless and serves as a great instructor on how to gauge the moral codes of those around us - not just children. For those of us who teach children, the book can guide us in tactics to deal with, though not rectify, behaviors that are far below social norms.
Susan Morris
May 31, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
This book is chiefly about identifying the causes of anti social personality disorder, which can start in infancy, and preventing this in younger children, treating it in older children and identifying adults with the disorder for whom there currently is no cure. On the surface, this book appears to just be for parents who are concerned that their children don't grow up with a disturbed character. But this book could be useful to any reader and not just those who deal with or interact with ...more
White
Aug 20, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I read this book long ago but it is still with me. This book is more frightening than even the best of Stephen King because it is real and it is relevant to everyone's life. The thin line we walk in raising children is put in front of your face by this author. Bonds that are broken for whatever reason between primary care givers and very young children have consequences no one can even imagine.

This is how powerful this book is, how detailed in research, and how true to life: I gave my copy to
Anthea
Jul 29, 2016 rated it liked it
Great insight to identify a psychopath.

This book turned out to be quite interesting as it does not only talk about psychopathic children but infamous serial killers as well (Ted Bundy) and it digs deep into the childhoods of the serial murderers to identify the trigger and cause of it. It also provides helpful tools and checklist for caregivers/adopters/parents to nurture a child and help him/her develop into a well-sounding child with proper attachment and solid foundation growth.

Insightful
Joel West
Sep 02, 2014 rated it it was ok
Extremely misinformed and out of date. does not have current information concerning psychopathy and sociopathy,not surprising considering its date of publication. it may provide a solid background for continued research, but it must not be the basis for all thoughts on psychopathy.
Rebecca
Oct 22, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: adoption
Informative, but not written in a reader-friendly style.
Colleen
Mar 21, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: currently-own
Some of the info is outdated but still interesting look on "unattached children".
Genie McFate
Explains where psychopaths come from.
Katie
Jun 28, 2010 rated it really liked it
It is insane to think of how many people there are out there that are less severe or (even scarer )--- "better" to the point they haven't been caught yet.
Michael
Jan 06, 2009 rated it it was amazing
An excellent book about kid without a conscience. If you are going to work with problem children you need to read this book.
Rick
Dec 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Really lays it all out in terms of causes and treatments. For any trained or experienced clinician, it helps develop a heuristic sensibility about sociopaths.
Linda Orvis
Jan 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This was one of the first books concerning the importance of bonding with a child. It was published in 1987 and contains some bone-chilling facts.
Staceyhammar
Apr 28, 2010 rated it really liked it
Wow..we really aren't helping ourselves and our kids.
Colleen
Jan 05, 2013
Darrell Griffin
Jan 22, 2017
Elyse
rated it did not like it
Aug 15, 2013