Start by marking “Mr Warren's Profession (Aubrey & Lindsey, #1)” as Want to Read:
Mr Warren's Profession (Aubrey & Lindsey, #1)

Mr Warren's Profession

(Aubrey & Lindsey #1)

Lindsey Althorp, the only son of a wealthy baronet, has never worked a day in his life. Aubrey Warren was born in a workhouse and hasn’t stopped working since.

When Lindsey wins a textile mill in a game of cards, he falls at first sight for the assistant clerk, Aubrey. Lindsey is certain that Aubrey is the Achilles to his Patroclus, the David to his Jonathan. Yet Aubrey, un
Published June 7th 2017 by Smashwords

To ask other readers questions about Mr Warren's Profession, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mr Warren's Profession

Joyfully Jay
Jan 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sue
A Joyfully Jay review.

This was such a fun and enjoyable read. Mr. Warren Profession hit all my happy buttons right from the beginning. The historical aspect is very well done and the author does a fantastic job of describing the life of the working class near the turn of the twentieth century. There is never an extensive amount of information dumped on the reader at any one time, but instead the historical aspect of Mr. Warren’s Profession is integrated with an excellent finesse. Ther
Kaje Harper
Mar 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this historical romance about a young man in Victorian England who worked his way up from the lowest poverty to a respectable clerkship, only to have an infatuated, sweet, clueless nobleman threaten to both topple his life, and infinitely enrich it.

Aubrey Warren is working as a clerk in a textile mill. He's good at the job, very diligent, and used to covering for the other worthless clerk who's there riding on family ties. Aubrey has done wonders, rising from his birth to a wor
Bev
4.25 stars from me. I really enjoyed the author's writing and most of the characters 😉. It looks as though US authors writing what would, at first glance, appear to be historical novels set in the UK, seem to gaining in popularity....unfortunately, that isn't always a good thing...believe me, some of them are very Mills & Boon and absolutely riddled with errors. This story is not one of those however....

The two MC's, Aubrey and Lindsey, meet in the office where Aubrey works, which happens to
WhatAStrangeDuck
Good historical romance from a new author. I didn't go in with very high expectations but I was pleasantly surprised by this book. There are few books that actually have working class characters and present a realistic view of England during the industrial revolution.

I liked the characters (Lindsey is a bit clueless but what a dear) and all in all it was a pretty solidly put together story. A bit of streamlining wouldn't have gone amiss but I still highly recommend it for people who like histori
Lou
Jun 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Mr Warren's Profession is a compelling, beautifully written, and heartfelt romance which features all of your favorite Victorian tropes (romance complicated by class! complex social rituals! repressed emotions!)

Sebastian Nothwell has a way of describing things that immediately conjure vivid images in your mind and a knack for creating complex and complete characters that you can't help but adore.
Tess
Oct 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing

If you like Elizabeth Gaskell's Mary Barton and North and South AND if you enjoy m/m romance, I'm pretty sure this will be right up your alley. I really loved this look at 1890s industrial Manchester and the class divide at the time. The romance is very lovely too, although these guys have to go through a lot to get their HEA!
Aussie54
I loved this. "Mr Warren's Profession" has everything I love about reading ... an absorbing plot line, engaging characters, and very good writing.

Historical romances are one of my favourite genres, and I found the time period, with its clothing and societal mannerisms, captivating. (After Googling, I learned what a Wardian case is.) The Manchester cotton milling held my attention, with Sebastian Nothwell’s writing style providing a good visual reading experience. The story unrolled like a film
Rachel
Dec 27, 2018 marked it as to-read
12/27/18 Currently 25% off at Smashwords ($2.99):https://www.smashwords.com/books/view...
Leta Blake
Did enjoy and do recommend. :)
Mercutio
Aug 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
An absolutely delightful read- steeped in a very lively, sensually real sense of place and time. Clearly thoroughly and lovingly researched; has the vibrancy a period-romance ought to have.

The dialogue feels natural, the characters all fascinating in their own ways, the plot is both tense and sweet, and dangit, it's just a fine book.
Waleska 'Wally'
Offer me something I cannot find in myself.

Once in a while, you read a story that captivates your attention and imagination from the very start.

One of those books that pesky little things 😏 as eating, working or answering questions from your kids and husband 😲😉 is a chore because it means , you have to stop reading and do stuff.

That book is Mr. Warren's Profession (Aubrey & Lindsey Book 1); a well researched and crafted historical MM romance story .

Sebastian Northwell wrote an original, fas
MouthLeaf
Jun 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Delightful
Liz
Jul 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
The great thing about queer 19th century romance is that the authors do not need to come up with increasingly convoluted reasons to keep the lovers apart. Rather than resorting to awful relatives, one or the other of the two lovers being stupendous jerks, or handing someone the proverbial idiot ball, the plot conflict is obvious. They’re queer and it’s the 19th century.
This often improves the story as it lets you tell the narrative of two people in love learning to work together against a commo
J
Jan 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m
A good historical, upper class vs. bottom class MM novel set at the turn of the 19th century when being gay was still illegal but they didn't hang you for it (just prison -- I guess that's a step forward).

Lindsey is a wealthy upper class citizen who owns the local cotton mill (and employs lots of lower class people) and Aubrey is a clerk at the mill who is the lowest of the lowest class. Lindsey and Aubrey find they have similar proclivities in life and this story follows their lives as they try
Gisselle
Feb 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Charming story. 4.5 but I loved Aubrey too much to round down. I really enjoyed seeing how he navigated his relationship with Lindsey and given his background, his choices and apprehensions made sense. As you can probably tell, he was my favorite! I personally didn’t get the same understanding about Lindsey and his choices, but that is a small quibble. The background characters shine—anyone would love to have a sister like Rowena, Emmeline gaining confidence was sooo well done, and Miss Brewster ...more
Misty
Aug 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
** 4.5 Stars **

I love long historical novels where the plot is as important as the romance and where the few sex scenes serve the plot, Mr Warren's Profession is one of those. The two protagonists, Aubrey and Lindsey are perfectly set in the time of the story, they are poles apart which is a trope I absolutely love. The Victorian era is brilliantly shown and all the characters are well developed. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this and I highly recommend it!
Tenny
Jun 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: history, gay, sweet
I won this book in a giveaway and let me tell you, it was a great win, because this is a great book!
Main hero is Lindsey Altrop, regency aristocrat who can be best described as a puppy. No, really, he is always excited and innocent and lives in the moment and i wanted to hug him and pat him on his head. Our other main hero is quiet, shy ordinary clerk Aubrey Warren, who is a cat to Lindsey's puppy. Especially begining is absolutely delightful to read and I had a huge grin on my face as Lindsey t
Allison
May 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
3.5 stars?

Parts of this were wonderful, and parts were so unsatisfying that I don't know what to think. Plus, it's long, really long. But maybe that's more a reflection of my overall enjoyment than its actual length.

I really liked that Lindsey was completely at ease with who he was, and what he wanted from life. It was amazing that Aubrey had worked to improve his place, and has succeeded on his own. I liked them together. There were many little touches that reflected modern attitudes, but that
Sakuko
Dec 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
At first I thought the book was very similar to The Only Gold, so very slow burn with a lot of workday details. At the beginning there is a lot of information about the workings of a textile mill, engineering and electricity. But they actually end up together reasonably soon, most of the book is about them trying to find a way to be together and battling a lot of meddling and strife.

I thought the historical detail was very good, for the most part, but I was confused by the reaction of Lindsey's
Reader
Oct 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: gay-historical
Aubrey, a former telegraph boy from the Cleveland Street story became a clerk in a cotton mill. He's smart, kind, very good at his job and then some, and he's ambitious. Then the poor '(un)lucky?' man met aristocrat Lindsey and his snooty (including at least one homicidal) friends and for good or ill his life literally was never the same again.

Lindsey was only about 4 years old when his father seemed to have known Lindsey was an 'invert'. That propelled the old gentleman to protect Lindsey, in t
Maia
Apr 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Aubrey Warren makes a meager living as a clerk at the Rook Mill in Manchester, England, in the 1890s. If he had his choice he'd be working instead as an engineer, but considering that he was born in a poor house he feels fortunate to have an honest job at all. Lindsey Althorp is the only son of a baronet, and becomes Warren's employer when he wins Rook Mill in a game of cards. The two men are immediately drawn to each other and their mutual attraction is quickly confirmed, followed by an even mo ...more
Sasha Ambroz
Apr 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: history, own, romance, so-gay
You never know when life teaches you a lesson.
I was always skeptical about the imperative writing rule that protagonist must develop through the book and turn out as a changed character at the end. I thought it was unnecessary demand that makes the plot strained and artificial.
But when I read the book where both main characters don't care about each other flaws, don't have any inner moral scruples and therefore don't work them over by the end of the book - I suddenly understand why this rule is
Elizabeth H.
I had a hard time settling on a review of Mr. Warren's Profession. I expected to like it much more than I did and actually found myself skimming or even skipping some middle sections. I never connected with either main character and didn't feel the relationship between them. The setting was intriguing, though, as was the depiction of the factory and the life of those who worked there. So kudos for that.
M.R. Graham
Complex, emotional, INCREDIBLY well-researched, powerful characterization.
Mr. Warren's Profession is beautifully written in language reminiscent of its setting, with a strong plot, excellent pacing, just enough historical detail that it does not lapse into pedantry, lovely description...
I dislike reading explicit sex scenes, but everything else was so gorgeous that I would absolutely pick up more by Nothwell.
Sally
Aug 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this book especially the historical element. I worked at a hospital in cleveland street and was aware of the victorian scandal so it was fascinating to find out more. The book was a bit slow at the beginning and the plot took a while to develop but I was soon immersed and stayed up late to finish it. I thought the cover was a bit off putting - Mr Warren looks like an unattractive gnome!
Amanda
May 28, 2018 rated it liked it
This book was really cute! It was nice to read a gay romance that takes place in the Victorian era (or very early Edwardian era, depending on where you think those eras start and end) that had a happy ending. And it was clear that the author did a lot of research about society during these eras.
Spitz
Mar 09, 2019 added it
Shelves: historical
an original voice.
Mary
I do apologize for the delay with this review, I've had it knocking around since February.

If you are a fan of historical fiction, this book is for you. If you are a fan of historical romance, this book is for you. If you have been on the lookout for same sex romantic stories in particular, this book is the book for you.

I could end the review here. It’d be pretty easy to keep on with shouting and exaltations of exactly how good I believe this book is and leave it at that. But, of course, the pu
Rhode
Apr 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance-historic
The setting is Manchester England, in the cotton mills of 1891. The historic details feel correct, which I adore. And the baronet hero, Lindsay, is possibly the sweetest, most considerate, adorable hero I’ve ever read. #cinnamonbun

Although others like the cover art, I found it distracting because both men are supposedly far more attractive than this is. And, both of our young heroes mothers are dead because curse of romance-genre. But that’s really nitpicking.

A great cross-class read. Plus, a re
Rook
Aug 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was really sweet and kept me totally engaged throughout! All of the "His Aubrey" this, "His Lindsey" that - oh that's cute.
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Beta Reader Group: Victorian mm romance - sequel - 40k 1 15 Oct 11, 2018 05:08AM

• Clockwork Pirate
  • An Unnatural Vice (Sins of the Cities, #2)
  • Seven Summer Nights
  • On a Lee Shore
  • Seasons Pass (Enlightenment, #3.5)
  • Spanking Dee-Dee
  • Blue Skies
  • Other Side of the Line
  • Falling in Love with Crazy
  • Rival Within
  • Muffled Drum
  • The Shepherd and the Solicitor
  • Deep Blues Goodbye (Altered States, #1)
  • The Place where they Cried
  • When Skies Have Fallen
  • Fragile Bond
  • The Gentleman's Madness
  • Into Deep Waters

Aubrey & Lindsey (2 books)
  • Throw His Heart Over (Aubrey & Lindsey, #2)
“Sincere Graves was unnerving. Theatrical Graves was familiar. Lindsey relaxed. “Thank you.” 0 likes