Start by marking “Mr Warren's Profession (Aubrey & Lindsey, #1)” as Want to Read:
Mr Warren's Profession (Aubrey & Lindsey, #1)

Mr Warren's Profession

(Aubrey & Lindsey #1)

Lindsey Althorp, the only son of a wealthy baronet, has never worked a day in his life. Aubrey Warren was born in a workhouse and hasn’t stopped working since.

When Lindsey wins a textile mill in a game of cards, he falls at first sight for the assistant clerk, Aubrey. Lindsey is certain that Aubrey is the Achilles to his Patroclus, the David to his Jonathan. Yet Aubrey, un
Published June 7th 2017 by Smashwords

To ask other readers questions about Mr Warren's Profession, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mr Warren's Profession

Start your review of Mr Warren's Profession (Aubrey & Lindsey, #1)
Elena
I like historical, but mainly I like historical written by people who lived at the time they wrote about. Since the past few years I’ve read mostly m/m romances, historical isn’t my go-to genre at the moment.
Still, there are a few contemporary m/m authors I trust to deliver a good historical without giving their characters modern speech and mentality and other similar anachronisms, while at the same time giving them a realistic, satisfying happy ending. I don’t want to read about society crushin
Kaje Harper
Mar 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this historical romance about a young man in Victorian England who worked his way up from the lowest poverty to a respectable clerkship, only to have an infatuated, sweet, clueless nobleman threaten to both topple his life, and infinitely enrich it.

Aubrey Warren is working as a clerk in a textile mill. He's good at the job, very diligent, and used to covering for the other worthless clerk who's there riding on family ties. Aubrey has done wonders, rising from his birth to a wor
Joyfully Jay
Jan 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sue
A Joyfully Jay review.

This was such a fun and enjoyable read. Mr. Warren Profession hit all my happy buttons right from the beginning. The historical aspect is very well done and the author does a fantastic job of describing the life of the working class near the turn of the twentieth century. There is never an extensive amount of information dumped on the reader at any one time, but instead the historical aspect of Mr. Warren’s Profession is integrated with an excellent finesse. Ther
~Volha~
Jun 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a very interesting historical romance, unlike any other I've read to date. It had all the required elements to make it a wonderful story. The MCs from different society classes, angst and painful past, villain that was so subtly crafted that when revealed made the story so intense, and the resolution that was smart and on par with time period. This is not a steamy romance in a usual sense. It did have intimate scenes but they stemmed from emotional ties that both men developed. But that ...more
Bev
4.25 stars from me. I really enjoyed the author's writing and most of the characters 😉. It looks as though US authors writing what would, at first glance, appear to be historical novels set in the UK, seem to gaining in popularity....unfortunately, that isn't always a good thing...believe me, some of them are very Mills & Boon and absolutely riddled with errors. This story is not one of those however....

The two MC's, Aubrey and Lindsey, meet in the office where Aubrey works, which happens to be
Linda ~ they got the mustard out! ~
This had a lot going for it, but it had almost too much going on, though written at a sedate pace.

There were several times I had to stop and put this down for a bit because it was boring me or going off on unexpected tangents. Every time I thought I knew what this book was doing, it would take a sharp left turn and go meandering down another path. That made it hard to get into the flow or stay in the flow once I was in it.

It started off extremely endearing and sweet. Aubrey, lowly senior clerk
WhatAStrangeDuck
Good historical romance from a new author. I didn't go in with very high expectations but I was pleasantly surprised by this book. There are few books that actually have working class characters and present a realistic view of England during the industrial revolution.

I liked the characters (Lindsey is a bit clueless but what a dear) and all in all it was a pretty solidly put together story. A bit of streamlining wouldn't have gone amiss but I still highly recommend it for people who like histori
Lou
Jun 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Mr Warren's Profession is a compelling, beautifully written, and heartfelt romance which features all of your favorite Victorian tropes (romance complicated by class! complex social rituals! repressed emotions!)

Sebastian Nothwell has a way of describing things that immediately conjure vivid images in your mind and a knack for creating complex and complete characters that you can't help but adore.
Tess
Oct 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing

If you like Elizabeth Gaskell's Mary Barton and North and South AND if you enjoy m/m romance, I'm pretty sure this will be right up your alley. I really loved this look at 1890s industrial Manchester and the class divide at the time. The romance is very lovely too, although these guys have to go through a lot to get their HEA!
Anwen Hayward
Dec 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lgbtq
Truly cannot believe I just read a 400 page book called 'Mr Warren's Profession' in one sitting, but there you go. It's 2.40am so it's too late for regrets. This one was fun and had wistful looks across crowded rooms, engineering jargon, and textiles. I don't know what more you could possibly want from a romance novel.
UnusualChild{beppy}
5 stars

Lindsey is the son of nobility, and wins a mill in a card game with a friend. He goes to check out his mill, and becomes immediately enamoured with one of the two secretaries, Aubrey Warren. Lindsey leaves the mill determined to find out everything there is to know about it, in order to sound knowledgeable when he goes back to the mill. And go back, he does. He visits the mill quite often, in fact, trying to get to know Aubrey. Then he makes a slight pass at Aubrey, and things take off fr
Aussie54
I loved this. "Mr Warren's Profession" has everything I love about reading ... an absorbing plot line, engaging characters, and very good writing.

Historical romances are one of my favourite genres, and I found the time period, with its clothing and societal mannerisms, captivating. (After Googling, I learned what a Wardian case is.) The Manchester cotton milling held my attention, with Sebastian Nothwell’s writing style providing a good visual reading experience. The story unrolled like a film
Rachel
Dec 27, 2018 marked it as to-read
12/27/18 Currently 25% off at Smashwords ($2.99):https://www.smashwords.com/books/view... ...more
Leta Blake
Did enjoy and do recommend. :)
W.
Offer me something I cannot find in myself.

Once in a while, you read a story that captivates your attention and imagination from the very start.

One of those books that pesky little things 😏 as eating, working or answering questions from your kids and husband 😲😉 is a chore because it means , you have to stop reading and do stuff.

That book is Mr. Warren's Profession (Aubrey & Lindsey Book 1); a well researched and crafted historical MM romance story .

Sebastian Northwell wrote an original, fascina
Mercutio
Aug 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
An absolutely delightful read- steeped in a very lively, sensually real sense of place and time. Clearly thoroughly and lovingly researched; has the vibrancy a period-romance ought to have.

The dialogue feels natural, the characters all fascinating in their own ways, the plot is both tense and sweet, and dangit, it's just a fine book.
Tex Reader
Jun 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: aa-not-own-fr
3.5 - Nice Contrasts of Class, Street-Wise vs. Naive, Being Gay in 1891
[Thanks to the author and Goodreads' MMRG Don't Buy My Love program for a free copy in exchange for an honest review]

This was a good period romance - kudos for the cast of characters and how the time, classes and industry was portrayed, and the romance in that day ... but that was offset a bit by it being "too romantic"? - things were just too unnecessarily and conveniently unrealistic.

Overall, Sebastian Nothwell's style flo
Vera Leigh
Jun 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
I received a copy of this book to review from the M/M Romance Goodreads group’s Don’t Buy My Love Program. What follows is my honest review:

While reading Mr.Warrens Profession, one word kept coming to mind: refreshing.

I found the main characters, Lindsey and Aubrey refreshing as well as lovable. Lindsay, the lord with all the money and social prestige, is naive and sexually inexperienced. He also gets pushed around a lot in the beginning by his father and others. Through his relationship with A
JD Crittendon
Jan 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
Overcoming Obstacles for Love!

This is an historical tale of “like” at first sight by naïve, sheltered Sir Lindsey & office clerk Aubrey. The story incorporates betrayal, abuse, blackmail, attempted murder, death, an explosion along with the usual romance and sexy times. What’s not to love! I enjoyed the storytelling, the MCs are well developed, the co-characters enhancement the tale and the protagonist was evil (a love to hate personality).
I’m a fan of Mr Sebastian Nothwell books and recommend a
Reflection
**A free copy of this book was provided by the author in exchange for an honest review via the MM Romance Group ‘Don’t Buy My Love’ program.**

Truth be told, I love this book so much, I dived into the sequel urgently, allowing myslef no time to leave a review for this one until now!

I couldn't bear to be parted from Aubrey and Lindsey quite so soon. Having been sated I'm back to tell you that you really should read this book, if you love:
...romance... this is for you.
...well written and researche
Liz
Jul 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
The great thing about queer 19th century romance is that the authors do not need to come up with increasingly convoluted reasons to keep the lovers apart. Rather than resorting to awful relatives, one or the other of the two lovers being stupendous jerks, or handing someone the proverbial idiot ball, the plot conflict is obvious. They’re queer and it’s the 19th century.
This often improves the story as it lets you tell the narrative of two people in love learning to work together against a commo
Jane Harper
Jul 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Terrible cover, great book.
R E
Sep 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An intense, beautiful, riveting story steeped in historical detail, action, and astute characterization

Truth be told - DON'T judge this book by its cover! While the cover art has its charms, this is a serious work of historical fiction with a thoroughly realized and carefully considered plot, powerfully drawn characters, intense action and a convincing setting that spans Victorian era politics, arts, technology, medicine, morality and manners. I admit to not expecting much more than a light read
J
Jan 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m-romance
A good historical, upper class vs. bottom class MM novel set at the turn of the 19th century when being gay was still illegal but they didn't hang you for it (just prison -- I guess that's a step forward).

Lindsey is a wealthy upper class citizen who owns the local cotton mill (and employs lots of lower class people) and Aubrey is a clerk at the mill who is the lowest of the lowest class. Lindsey and Aubrey find they have similar proclivities in life and this story follows their lives as they try
Shweta

A wonderful start to an unique historical tale.
'Mr Warren's profession' is a well written Victorian romance, set in Britain of the 1890s.

Though the storyline revolves around the forbidden romance between the heir of a Baron- 'Sir Lindsey' and a commons clerk - 'Aubrey Warren' he is captivated by, the author highlights a lot of elements in Victorian London
Misty
Aug 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
** 4.5 Stars **

I love long historical novels where the plot is as important as the romance and where the few sex scenes serve the plot, Mr Warren's Profession is one of those. The two protagonists, Aubrey and Lindsey are perfectly set in the time of the story, they are poles apart which is a trope I absolutely love. The Victorian era is brilliantly shown and all the characters are well developed. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this and I highly recommend it!
Gisselle
Feb 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Charming story. 4.5 but I loved Aubrey too much to round down. I really enjoyed seeing how he navigated his relationship with Lindsey and given his background, his choices and apprehensions made sense. As you can probably tell, he was my favorite! I personally didn’t get the same understanding about Lindsey and his choices, but that is a small quibble. The background characters shine—anyone would love to have a sister like Rowena, Emmeline gaining confidence was sooo well done, and Miss Brewster ...more
Finnegan
Beautiful story about aristocratic Lindsey and dirt poor but proud Aubrey during a time when being gay was a crime. The love between those two transcend a lot of obstacles, but is the more sweeter for it. Recommended. One of the best books I have read in a while.
サヘリー
Nov 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
superb.
Ser
Jun 04, 2020 rated it really liked it

I heartily enjoyed this book. The mill setting is a fascinating one and I really liked Aubrey, particularly his determination and competence. I liked the supporting characters as well.

The thing I struggled with most was Lindsey's vast naivety and obliviousness. He certainly gets better over the course of the book, but I did feel like there was some piece of th
The Backlot Gay B...: Mr. Warren's Profession, by Sebastian Nothwell 1 6 Sep 30, 2019 07:10PM
Beta Reader Group: Victorian mm romance - sequel - 40k 1 16 Oct 11, 2018 05:08AM

• The Last Kiss
  • The Sugared Game (The Will Darling Adventures #2)
  • A Gentleman Tutor
  • Spellbound (Magic in Manhattan, #1)
  • Mr. Winterbourne's Christmas (Winterbourne, #2)
  • Slippery Creatures (The Will Darling Adventures #1)
  • Any Old Diamonds (Lilywhite Boys #1)
  • Two Rogues Make a Right (Seducing the Sedgwicks, #3)
  • The Marquess of Gorsewall Manor (After the Swan's Nest #1)
  • Hither, Page (Page & Sommers, #1)
  • Band Sinister
  • Gentleman Wolf (Capital Wolves Duet, #1)
  • Midnight Flit (The Carstairs Affairs, #2)
  • The Rat-Catcher's Daughter (Lilywhite Boys, #0.5)
  • Dances Long Forgotten (Winsford Green, #1)
  • Proper English
  • Murder House (PsyCop, #10)
  • Something Human
Sebastian Nothwell writes same-sex romance. When he is not writing, he is counting down the minutes until he is permitted to return to writing. He is absolutely not a ghost and definitely did not die in 1895.

Aubrey & Lindsey (2 books)
  • Throw His Heart Over (Aubrey & Lindsey, #2)