Start by marking “The Heart Between Us: Two Sisters, One Heart Transplant, and a Bucket List” as Want to Read:
The Heart Between Us: Two Sisters, One Heart Transplant, and a Bucket List

The Heart Between Us: Two Sisters, One Heart Transplant, and a Bucket List

Megan Jacobs always wished for a different heart. Her entire childhood was spent in and out of hospitals, sitting on the sidelines while her twin sister Crystal played all the sports, got all the guys, and had all the fun. But even a heart transplant three years ago wasn’t enough to propel Megan’s life forward. She’s still working as a library aide in her small Minnesota h ...more
Published March 13th 2018 by Thomas Nelson

To ask other readers questions about The Heart Between Us, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Heart Between Us

Andrea Cox
FTC DISCLOSURE: I received a complimentary copy of this book in exchange for my honest review, which was not required to be positive.

This is Lindsay Harrel's second book, and it's becoming evident to me that her trademark is going to be incredibly deep character journeys. This book, as the title suggests, is full of heart. From beginning to end, the passion for life and figuring out one's faith and laying down one's fears make this journey one worth taking... several times. The fact that communi
Staci
May 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2018
Lindsay Harrel's sophomore novel is about twins Megan and Crystal. Megan had fragile health as a child due to a weak heart. Following a heart transplant she lives out the bucket list of her donor. This was a great opportunity for Megan and Crystal to work through some of their relationship issues as well as each sister to confront their own character flaws.

While I enjoyed this novel overall, I struggled with at least one decision made by each sister. Also, I have a difficult time with the whirlw
Tin
Mar 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
*I would like to thank Thomas Nelson for providing me a complimentary copy of this book through NetGalley. This does not affect my opinion of the book and opinions expressed in this review are completely my own.*

READ FULL REVIEW IN MY BLOG: https://thebookmaiden.wordpress.com/2...

It's so nice to read something different that I actually enjoyed from the usual genres I read. The story revolve around God & Faith, Family & Relationships and Travel.

Since this is a Christian fiction novel, th
Madison
Feb 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars.

The Heart Between Us contains an epic journey - both around the world and through the steps of relationship reconciliation. Two sisters, both trying to find answers, two love stories, both about second chances and new beginnings, and a whole lot of travel.

Megan Jacobs is stuck - still living at home with her parents even though she is now in her thirties, still working part-time in a job that she likes but doesn’t love, still wondering what happened to her relationship with her twin si
Melissa
Mar 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Life Fully Booked Review of The Heart Between Us
I highly recommend this heartwarming and soul-challenging novel. The focus on God to help us through our fears and to rely on His control is something everyone needs a reminder of regularly.
Libby May
Aug 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story was beautiful. Crystal and Megan both had their issues and both worked through them. Despite the near perfect, major blow up, space and time, and then making up, happily ever after cliche, it was fun to read. I enjoyed the adventures that Megan had and the way that they really eventually tried to recover their relationship. The settings were well done, feelings complicated enough, thoughts and quotes deep. And the message threaded through the whole thing.

This book isn't a gospel messa
Rachael
Jun 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I just finished...and I.Just.Cant. I don’t cry watching movies...I don’t cry actual tears reading books. I silently sobbed...even in front of my hubby, after this one was read. However, having got a debilitating neuro disease at 16, being the oldest of five siblings...I’ve often wondered how they felt about some of the drastic changes our life too once I was ill. This book touches on that subjects...and others that are so personal.

For me, this book touched a place in my heart that no other book
Loraine
Rating: 4.8

Two sisters, twin sisters, one strong and controlling, one with a defective heart, once so close, and now so far apart. Crystal is suffering from guilt that she has always been strong and her sister fought heart problems for 20 years before a transplant finally gave her health. Megan is suffering from guilt from all the parental attention focused on her instead of her sister because of her heart problems. Is there any way they can find their way back to one another? When Megan meets h
Melanie
Mar 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley-read, 10
The Heart Between Us was a beautiful story. It was my first read by Lindsay Harrel, but it definitely won't be my last. This story, in my opinion, is a perfect example of contemporary fiction done well. There's romance, but there is so much more to the plot. In fact, the romance is secondary to the sister's (Megan and Crystal) journey...and what a journey it was!

It took me a couple chapters to get hooked by the story but after that I was flipping pages quickly and couldn't wait to see what happe
Michelle
Feb 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
I love reading new to me authors! This book intrigued me, though I am rather picky with contemporary stories. I really enjoyed this book. The characters were well written and changed over the course of the book, which I always like to see. I loved the different travel settings throughout the story. I could better relate to Crystal and her storyline but I enjoyed reading both parts. Some parts of the book were slow, some were slightly rushed through. I really loved the marriage aspect with Crysta ...more
Dayle (the literary llama)
I liked THE HEART BETWEEN US but didn’t fall head over heels for it. That’s partly personal preference and part overall style, but I’ll get to all that, just keep reading.

THE HEART BETWEEN US has a certain quality to it that reminded me of the Amanda Bynes film “What a Girl Wants”. The stories aren’t necessarily similar, but the vibes just felt the same. The American in a foreign land with strained family ties and sightseeing montages…something about it just made me think that there was definite
Courtney Clark
Mar 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
This little story encompasses relationships, travel, romance, and a poignant story of siblings as they embark on a life-changing journey. I don't think I've EVER been to so many countries and continents vicariously through just 1 story. 🗼

I like surprises. The Heart Between Us surprised me in the best way! I expected a cute, fun story about Megan, maybe even a journey of self discovery, with emotional moments, of course. I did NOT expect all that and more as the viewpoints of BOTH Megan and Cryst
Brittany
Apr 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Heart Between Us was packed with depth and emotion! I ended up with both a paperback copy and an audio copy. I listened to most of the book on audio and then finished out the last eighteen chapters by reading the paperback. The narrator did a nice job on this story, using differing voices for the various characters. I enjoyed the narration on this audio book very much.

I loved the journal entries in this novel. It helped slowly reveal who Amanda (the heart donor) was, and what she had endured
Rachel McMillan
Jan 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Spun with irresistible dialogue and a unique premise, The Heart Between Us is a unique canvas of women's fiction, threaded with romance, that transplants the reader to a buoyant collage of European locales.

A bucket list adventure underscored by deeper tenets of faith, friendship and the bonds that tether us together even as we drift apart.

A colourful thesis of dreams and reconciling passion with circumstance, this will appeal to those with a hefty dollop of wanderlust as well as the hopeless r
Mary Jackson _TheMaryReader
Feb 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
This a book with some heart. I loved how Harrel writes with so much heart and she has relationships down to a science. I love how she made this book about family and relationships and oh so important communication. You are going to love it from beginning to end.

In this book you are going to get to travel, that's always a plus in my opinion. You will go to From Rome to Australia to Greece to Peru. Now you know you want to dive in to this book after hearing that!

I gave this book 4 stars and I reco
Jerry
Nov 04, 2018 rated it liked it
For the most part, this book was a touching story of two estranged sisters making amends with each other and overcoming dire circumstances. I haven't experienced such a tale of siblings since I saw Frozen in theaters on Christmas Day 2013.

Unfortunately, the author decided to put some unnecessary bits. Sexual dialogue ("Want to make a baby with me?" "I thought you'd never ask!,") and moments of immodest dress popped up; especially disappointing was a scene where the twin sisters skinny dipped, wh
Kristin
Mar 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Note: Kristin reads and reviews both Christian and secular fiction on A Simply Enchanted Life. Out of respect for my readers, I am including a content review. This content review will help you decide whether this book is suitable for you.

Christian or Secular: Christian
ASEL Rating: mild violence (though no detailed description)
Content to be aware of:
This book includes a character that survived child molestation. No details are given. The situation is only alluded to. For this reason, I give it a
Karin
Oct 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Megan Jacobs is the one who has had the heart transplant, and she decides to finish the bucket list left by the donor. Her semi-estranged twin sister, who is in a strained marriage, joins her. This is an enjoyable read, but nothing brilliant. Christian romance with some travelling.

Carrie Schmidt (Reading is My SuperPower)

“God wants nothing more than to restore us…”

I expected this to be an inspiring story with lots of feels and travel adventures I could vicariously live through. And it is. But the concept of heart – and all it means for the different players – and the healing that is painted on these pages far exceeded my expectations.

I absolutely love Megan. She is such a layered character with a sweet personality and more courage than she gives herself credit for. After being sick for so long, she is f
Catherine
Nov 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A sweet story of sisterhood, familial bonds, sacrificial love and finding your own identity amidst the storms of life. Poignant with tender moments, as well as laughter, The Heart Between Us is a touching novel that is sure to please.
Hillary Franke
Mar 24, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book was really hard for me to not keep eye rolling thru. Lots of cliche moments in both the plot and the writing. It felt like a first draft novel in many ways.
Jenna Van Mourik
The Heart Between Us by Lindsay Harrel was perhaps one of the best gifts I have received this year (I’m still holding out that someone will buy me a Barnes & Noble for Christmas)! When my father was in town recently he offered to buy me a book (THANKS DAD!), and after five laps around the store, this was the one that I settled on!

Let me summarize the plot for you! Megan Jacobs has always struggled with her heart. Three years after her transplant, and she’s still in recovery! But she has a lo
blue ✧
Apr 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
“What if life isn’t about that big moment, but a lot of little moments that add up along the way?”

Such a lovely read. This book makes me want hug everyone I love and tell them how much I appreciate them. It makes me want to live my life full of joy and stop worrying about the past and things that are out of my control. It makes me want to travel the world and fall in love. But mostly, this book makes me want to LIVE.
Jooke
Feb 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobooks
This was a very nice and lovely read, but not the typical feel good story.

Follow the journey that brings two sisters back closer together, makes them discover the world and more themselves and makes them realize what they really want in life.
Kelly Bridgewater
May 01, 2018 rated it liked it
A Heart Between Us by Lindsay Harrel is a unique book filled with romance and a set of twin women determined to make a way for their lives. Megan finally after years with a heart defect receives a new heart and wants to travel and complete the bucket list for Amanda, the girl who donated her heart. While on the other hand, Crystal, her twin sister, lives the perfect life in New York City with her husband and her dream job.

Harrel is a good writer who came up with a unique storyline that I haven't
Amy
Dec 14, 2017 rated it liked it
3.5 stars -
To be absolutely honest, it took me some time to really grab what was happening with the plot with this book. In fact there was a moment in which I considered putting the book down for good. I'm glad that I stuck with it.

Twin sisters Crystal & Megan are so far apart, physically - emotionally. They haven't spoken or seen each other in years. One a talented junior architect for a prestigious Manhattan firm. Married and struggling to balance that ever seeming challenge of a healthy
Dana Michael
Feb 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
I just finished this book and it's midnight. I couldn't put it down until I finished. This story is a poignant look at family, and priorities. What is the most important thing in life? Two sisters embark on a trip of a lifetime to figure this out. A romantic tale of finding love, re-claiming love and offering forgiveness. I definitely recommend this book because it shows hope in overcoming hardships in relationships.
*I was given a copy of this book by the publisher and this is my honest opinion
Lexxie (un)Conventional Bookworms
This review was originally posted on (un)Conventional Bookviews
*I received a free copy of [title] from [publisher] via Netgalley. This has in no way influenced my voluntary review, which is honest and unbiased *The Heart Between Us is a beautiful, beautiful story! Two sisters... lost in their own feelings, in their own fears.

Review - (un)Conventional Bookviews
Story:
The Heart Between Us is a very realistic story, even if not all of us go through a heart transplant, it was easy to identify with both Megan and Crystal. The begin
Raechel
Apr 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018-reads
Prepare yourself for an excited review ;)
I’d been eyeing this book for a while just because of the cover alone, so you better believe I snatched it up eagerly when it became available to review! I knew it was one of those books that even if I didn’t like it, the cover was enough for me to drool over it continually. But of course, no worries about not liking the book – I more than liked it! In fact, I quite loved this novel! “The Heart Between Us” has quickly become one that I hug to my chest and
Mar 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Lindsay Harrel's new book THE HEART BETWEEN US is the first book I read by this author. The cover intrigued me, and I love Big Ben so even though I was sold by the blurb I had to read it due to the cover. Lousy way to judge a book, right? :)

Megan and Crystal are about as opposite as twin sisters could possibly be and due to Megan's bad heart they lived totally different lives from the beginning. Crystal got all the opportunities, Megan laid in the hospital and dreamed.

Now Megan has a new heart
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• One Enchanted Eve (Enchanted Christmas Collection #2)
  • As the Tide Comes In
  • The Art of Losing Yourself
  • Catch a Falling Star
  • Blind Spot (Chesapeake Valor, #3)
  • Close to You
  • A Flight of Arrows (The Pathfinders, #2)
  • Like There's No Tomorrow
  • The Man He Never Was
  • Engraved on the Heart
Lindsay Harrel is a lifelong book nerd with a B.A. in journalism and M.A. in English. She lives in Arizona with her young family and two golden retrievers in serious need of training. Lindsay has held a variety of jobs, including curriculum editor for two universities, medical and business writer, and copywriter for a digital marketing agency. Now she juggles stay-at-home mommyhood with working fr ...more
“It all took a paintbrush to her insides and dipped her soul in a bright yellow she hadn't known in a long, long time.” 0 likes