Start by marking “Miracles” as Want to Read:
Miracles

Miracles

4.08  ·  Rating details ·  11,762 Ratings  ·  461 Reviews

An impeccable inquiry into the proposition that supernatural events can happen in this world. C. S. Lewis uses his remarkable logic to build a solid argument for the existence of divine intervention.

Published March 1st 1999 by B&H Publishing Group (first published 1947)

To ask other readers questions about Miracles, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Miracles

Manny
Most people here on Goodreads will have had the experience of meeting an intelligent, witty, well-informed person who holds views that you absolutely do not agree with, but who defends them with imagination and force. This can often lead to extraordinarily enjoyable discussions, even if, at the end, your beliefs (at least, the ones you are aware of) have not been changed at all. Well, reading Miracles was rather like that for me, which is why I'm prepared to give it three stars. Lewis presents a ...more
Tim
May 25, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My inveterate hatred of magazines began during my sophomore year of college. I was at a friend's apartment, waiting for him to get out of the shower, when I noticed a TIME magazine on his coffee table. It had a big picture of Jesus on it, with the headline "What Do We Really Know About Jesus?"

At the time I was an atheist or, more accurately, an agnostic. But I'd spent quite a bit of time in class that year reading and discussing significant portions of the Old and New Testaments, as well as tran
K.D. Absolutely
I must admit that I think I did not fully understand what this book was trying to tell me. However, I am happy to say that I gave this book a chance: I read each word slowly and carefully even if I had more engaging fiction books in my currently-reading folder.

You see, I earlier read and liked his two later works, A Grief Observed (1961) and Mere Christianity (1957) before reading this earlier book that was first published in 1947. So, I invited some members of our book club to read this with m
Kurt
Aug 24, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a clear 5-star book. I was flat-out stunned by how wrong my prior expectations were for this book. I imagined this to be a less formal discussion on what miracles meant to Christians and maybe why God uses them, etc.

This is a philosophy book. It is the most intellectually challenging CS Lewis book I've read and it is totally worth it. This book uses logic and clear language to present a case for Divinity in general and the existence of the Supernatural. It then describes how miracles are
Douglas Wilson
May 21, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: theology
Excellent. Went through it again in March of 2016. Richer each time.
Brittany Petruzzi
Miracles is dense; more so than any Lewis book we’ve read this term. The entire book is a somewhat stealth exercise in Lewis’ presuppositional apologetic. By that I mean not that Lewis argues with the non-Christian from some imaginary set of shared presuppositions, but that he deftly dismantles the non-Christian’s presuppositions, leaving him standing there, naked, ashamed, and in desperate need of the Gospel. And he does it all before the non-Christian knows what’s happened.

It’s kind of like on
Cindy Rollins
Oct 31, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
I am trying to read through Lewis's Canon which is extremely fluid in places, not quite as canonized as Shakespeare. This book is pure Lewis. He takes a subject and logically works his way through it. We do not always understand what he is saying but he says it so well we do not care.

I always feel sad while reading Lewis that he is dead and not sitting across from me at the Bird and the Baby.
John
"Miracle" has become a dirty word in modern society. People generally view miracles as being, by their very definition, things that cannot possibly occur; therefore, anyone who argues for their existence is demonstrably an idiot. In this book, though, Lewis argues that miracles are only impossible so long as people consider Nature to encompass the entirety of all existence. He then capably demonstrates that Nature actually doesn't, thereby opening up an extensive range of fascinating possibility ...more
Rachel Rueckert
I hate to say that this was not my favorite C.S. Lewis book so far. Without a class discussion, I’m not sure I could have waded through half of the arguments Lewis brings up. It was intended for those who are skeptical of miracles, and that subject was definitely one that I have wondered about.

I am a Latter-day Saint, and I believe in miracles. But I have always been under the impression that God would use natural laws to govern those miracles, and they are miraculous because we do not understa
Emma Brown
Sep 12, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, christian
In this book, Lewis presents a curious blend of simplicity and deeply intellectual thought that requires one's whole attention to fully comprehend his meaning. I preferred taking a long time to sift through the material instead of rushing through, due to the heady concepts portrayed.

Oftentimes, I forgot that he was specifically addressing the plausibility of miracles, so I cannot say for certain how well he defends their possibility in this book; I was more caught up in the gems of insight that
Doug
Nov 02, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Already one of my favorites of C.S Lewis' books. The arguments for the existence of the supernatural (and hence, God) are much more thoroughly expounded in this volume than in the classic "Mere Christianity." As with his other books that I've read, there is much in this one that is simply beyond me. I try to follow the reasoning and get lost somewhere along the way. Or sometimes I just have no idea what he's talking about. But in the parts I can understand and grasp, I discover many priceless tr ...more
Morgan
Finally finished! It was hard (which is why it took me so long) but good. It mostly made sense, and I think I mostly agreed with it. And it's C. S. Lewis. How can I not like it?
DD
Mar 28, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a very difficult read for me but I'm glad that I was able to read it.
Munema
Aug 08, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christianity
I loved the first few chapters of this book. His whole philosophy on logic's place in naturalism was pretty darn brilliant. In fact, if he had just left it at the first four or so chapters, it would've been great. It wasn't until he got into Christian miracles that I started getting bored.

The problem is that he starting waxing lyrical. It became less about the truth and more about what sounded beautiful. Personally, I don't enjoy the concept of a suffering God, but it clearly mesmerised him. His
Morgan Djuna Sorais Harrigan
I really enjoyed Lewis' logical arguments. He is such a brilliant writer. Cosmo and I were laughing and I even teared up at one point, so it was a great read.
“It is a profound mistake to imagine that Christianity ever intended to dissipate the bewilderment and even the terror, the sense of our own nothingness, which come upon us when we think about the nature of things. It comes to intensify them. Without such sensations there is no religion. Many a man, brought up in the glib profession of som
Michelle
I won't even pretend that I was able to follow Mr. Lewis as deeply into this subject as he was able to go but I do feel I came away from this book with an understanding of several concepts which I had not considered. For me hopefully this book is a seed that will grow after further contemplation. While the audiobook was very well done, I do feel I would have benefited more by reading the actual text.
Paul Clark
Excellent book. Speaks to the issues of science/religion, nature, miracles, the new atheists, progressive Christianity, etc. If lots of people read this, lots of silly arguments would not be engaged!
G0thamite
This is my second or third time through. First read as a student in college years ago. This time it is making much more sense and I understand the issues much better. He anticipates what many critics of miracles are even now saying and answers them well.
Laurel Hicks
This makes perfect sense to me.
Seth Holler
Apr 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014-five-star
Read for an undergraduate class in 2005, again on a C.S. Lewis binge in April 2014, and now again in March 2015 to teach. Five stars every time.
Tina
Aug 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites
This book is phenomenal even if I understood probably 40% of it.
Brad
Jan 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, religion
This is the second C.S. Lewis book I've read covering Christianity, and is a good read. Miracles isn't quite as straightforward and easy-to-digest as Mere Christianity but still very good. C.S. Lewis has a very different way of looking at things than I'm used to, with his skeptical background.
Andrew Orange
Jun 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book!
MC
Feb 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the most mocked aspects of the Christian faith is the existence of miracles. In fact, the very heart of the Christian faith is based on a miracle. How can one believe in Christianity unless one believes in miracles, or at least is willing to allow for their existence? The simple answer, according to C. S. Lewis, is that they can't. In his book, Miracles, Lewis defended the logic of believing in such supernatural events.

In a fashion that those who have read his other Apologetics works wil
Phil
Jun 16, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
C.S. Lewis tries mightily to make a case for Miracles, but this is not the typical Christian case of trying to prove miraculous events as either somehow scientifically valid or as the works of a God who capriciously interferes with the laws of nature. C.S. Lewis attacks the idea of miracles from a philosophic and theological vantage point and says that, in the end, science is irrelevant.

He does this in a psuedo-logical way, by introducing propositional statements and declaring them valid, and th
Amy
4.5, rounded up because it is Lewis
Brilliant. Beyond me. Some of his arguments felt over my head, yet it didn't take long for me to pick up his train of thought. Perhaps the greatest part of Lewis's genius is his ability to make the complex understandable. Miracles looks broadly at worldviews and is as much an argument for Christianity as for the existence of miracles. In fact, that is probably inescapable, as so much of Christianity depends on the miraculous.
A very profound book that is fun b
Linda
If you are going to give this book ago, I’d advise allowing yourself plenty of time. Some chapters are quick and easy, but others took a bit of time to digest. I read it for a group-buddy-read; so to prepare for the upcoming discussion, I took notes and really tried to comprehend the arguments. I hadn’t delved into something like this in a long time, so I found the exercise of even trying to understand the book immensely interesting.

Unlike Mere Christianity, the arguments in Miracles don’t build
John
Dec 11, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I only read the first half of this book and don't know that I'll finish it, not because it isn't good, but because I'm not too interested in a Christian apologetic based on miracles. The first half, however, is a very good examination of what Lewis sees as the only two possible worldviews, naturalism and supernaturalism. To question whether miracles exist, Lewis first tries to settle the question of whether all that exists and has ever existed is the universe (the position of the naturalist) or ...more
Katie Marquette
Jan 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book has profoundly influenced the way I understand the world. C.S. Lewis never ceases to provoke, engage, and comfort me. Thoroughly enjoyed - has already sparked lots of interesting conversations...

"If we are content to go back and become humble, plain men obeying a tradition, well. If we are ready to climb and struggle on till we become sages ourselves, better still. But the man who will neither obey wisdom in others nor adventure for her/himself is fatal. A society where the simple man
Lora
I tried. I have never found a Lewis I couldn't read and get much out of...but this time I have. I think it addresses stuff I don't have to deal with or think about, or something. Perhaps it's a matter of this writing not reflecting upon modern issues that have since come up- hard to imagine Lewis not foreseeing such things, but it may have happened here. I found the text far too inaccessible for me at a tough time in my life. So I am moving on.
http://www.supplementsoffer.com/miracle-bust 1 1 Jul 26, 2017 01:43PM
Course In Miracles 1 2 Apr 22, 2017 06:24PM
African-American ...: January BB: Miracles 43 27 Feb 17, 2015 09:56AM
The Filipino Group: This topic has been closed to new comments. [Buddy Reads] Miracles by C.S. Lewis (with K.D., Louize, Dante and Cary) Start: June 25 88 62 Jul 18, 2012 10:28PM
  • Evil and the Justice of God
  • The Everlasting Man
  • The Question of God: C.S. Lewis and Sigmund Freud Debate God, Love, Sex, and the Meaning of Life
  • A Christian Manifesto
  • Reasonable Faith
  • Socrates Meets Jesus: History's Greatest Questioner Confronts the Claims of Christ
  • Ethics (Dietrich Bonhoeffer Works, Vol. 6)
  • Deliver Us from Evil
  • On the Incarnation
  • Warranted Christian Belief
  • Proper Confidence: Faith, Doubt, and Certainty in Christian Discipleship
  • Reaching for the Invisible God: What Can We Expect to Find?
  • The Scandal of the Evangelical Mind
  • Think: The Life of the Mind and the Love of God
  • Defense of the Faith
  • Knowing Scripture
  • Basic Christianity

CLIVE STAPLES LEWIS (1898–1963) was one of the intellectual giants of the twentieth century and arguably one of the most influential writers of his day. He was a Fellow and Tutor in English Literature at Oxford University until 1954. He was unanimously elected to the Chair of Medieval and Renaissance Literature
More about C.S. Lewis...

“Miracles do not, in fact, break the laws of nature.” 187 likes
“In Science we have been reading only the notes to a poem; in Christianity we find the poem itself.” 39 likes