Start by marking “Steel & Sky: Tales of the Dead Man” as Want to Read:
Steel & Sky: Tales of the Dead Man

Steel & Sky: Tales of the Dead Man

On the brink of destruction, Aerthos awaits the prophecy with hope that the elusive corpse can be found. All eyes turn to Captain Sjora Kahn'dyr, who must travel to the capitol of the Steel Cities, the home of her enemies, where she must steal the body out from under the watchful gaze of the Baron’s armies and return it to her people. But will this rescue of the Is’aad Mor ...more
Hardcover, 2nd, 340 pages
Published June 1st 2017 by Doce Blant Publishing (first published February 21st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Steel & Sky, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Steel & Sky

Start your review of Steel & Sky: Tales of the Dead Man
Chris
Mar 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Steel & Sky (Tales of the Dead Man) is a tale of a man who is alive but is really dead in all aspects, a group of adventurers consisting of a female captain of the Airship Lamprey (Sjora), who is more than she seems, a blind man (Johen), a young girl who is afraid of becoming the 'Angel of Death (Daris)' and a small furry creature (Trill), who have been sent to save the Dead Man by the Song Mistress of their floating city. After arriving at the Barony where the Dead Man is being experimented on ...more
J. Guay
Feb 25, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I would give this a 3.75 if I could. It is a really good read coming from the independent arena. The dialogue and writing flow well throughout most of the book and the characters are very well developed and relatable. The world building was really intriguing; a curious combination (and segregation) of magic and science. It is worth the read just for the magical system itself, which I found quite fascinating.

Here's a quick Pro's and Con's list:

Pro's:
Character Dev A+
Fascinating and clearly well de
Derek White
Nov 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
*A Copy of this Book Was Given To Me By The Author In Exchange For An Honest Review*

This story has most of the things an avid sci fi fan would look for - - ‘gates’ for instantaneous transit from place to place, transport by air and land, a class system with a ruling hierarchy etc.
In addition a good background story in which the central characters can have their adventure, and a mystery for the reader to think about: namely how a man can be dead and yet not dead, though not really alive either.
Al
Lesley Hanson
Nov 23, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read Steel & Sky after having read all books in the Chronicles of Aesirium series, so I came into this book already in love with one of the characters. The ensemble cast is filled with strong characters in their own rights. I took every spare moment to read Steel & Sky, even if all I could squeeze in were a few pages of progress. This is a great adventure story, and the sprinkles of humor are excellent.

Had I not read any of the Chronicles of Aesirium series, Steel & Sky would've had the same i
Marti Melville
Jun 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I'm not a fan of sci-fi, but THIS book grabbed my attention from the first page until the moment I read the last word written. Ren Cummins has written an intriguing tale of airship pirates, monsters, reapers, and a dead guy. The twists and character development pulls the reader into the story and doesn't let go. I can't wait for the next book in the series.

This is a must-read for sci-fi, fantasy, and steampunk lovers of all ages!
Jeff Lee
Dec 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'll start by saying that I'm not a fan of the steampunk genre. That in no way hindered my enjoyment while reading this book. Ren Cummings has created a rich, beautiful world and this trip through it is a delight. The characters are well-developed and easy for a reader to become invested in, and the cultural differences concerning the places of magic and technology in Aethera among the two peoples featured in this book provide tension as well as insight into the fabric of the world. It is a grea ...more
Constance Charles
While perhaps not my personal favorite, it has inspired me to seek out Mr. Cummins’ other steampunk work, Chronicles of Aesirium, to see if those are written more to my taste.I prefer steampunk and sci-fi that's tech focused and emotion driven; this I feel has too many cultural creations and biological creatures that drive the plot and overshadow the tech. I do suggest this book for tween or HiLo teen readers who might find traditional steampunk in Victorian English too stuffy. It’s also a great ...more
Racheal Wilson
This was excellent. The world inside of the novel feels complete, populated with intelligent and interesting characters who do amazing things. Everything that happens feels possible within this world, if fantastical in our own. Most interesting is the Dead Man himself. It is not a single revelation where the reader is shown who he was and the question is answered. The story of the Dead Man is full and deep and the more I known of his story, the more I want to learn.
Satyros Brucato
Charlotte McCauley
is currently reading it
Jun 11, 2015

• Perfect State
  • The Last Wish (The Witcher, #0.5)
  • The Historian
  • Bridge to Terabithia
  • The World of Ice & Fire: The Untold History of Westeros and the Game of Thrones
  • White Sand, Volume 2 (White Sand, #2)
  • What If? 2: Eminent Historians Imagine What Might Have Been (What If #2)
  • What If?: The World's Foremost Historians Imagine What Might Have Been (What If #1)
  • Flyboys: A True Story of Courage
  • Learning How to Learn: How to Succeed in School Without Spending All Your Time Studying; A Guide for Kids and Teens
  • A History of God: The 4,000-Year Quest of Judaism, Christianity, and Islam
  • Batman Masterpieces: Portraits of the Dark Knight and His World
  • With My Face to the Enemy: Perspectives on the Civil War
  • Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?
  • What Ifs? of American History: Eminent Historians Imagine What Might Have Been
  • The Complete Maus (Maus, #1-2)
  • Flags of Our Fathers
  • Fire & Blood (A Targaryen History #1)
Born in California, Ren lived in three more states and one other country before finally settling down in Seattle, Washington. There with his wife and daughter and their two dogs and one of the heaviest cats in existence, he juggles a love of writing, music, science fiction and the occasional desire to make an honest buck.

After a college professor in his English department took a good look at his w