Jump to ratings and reviews
Over a hundred years after the death of Magnus Blackwell, Altmover Manor sits abandoned.

Lexie Arden and her fiancé, Will Bennett, are determined to rescue the neglected Mount Desert Island landmark. They want to make Altmover Manor their home. But Magnus has other plans.

A spirit bound to his former residence, Magnus finds himself inexplicably drawn to the young woman. She has a supernatural gift; a gift Magnus wants to exploit.

As Lexie and Will settle in, secrets from Magnus's past begin to surface. Compelled to learn all she can about the former owner, Lexie becomes immersed in a world of voodoo, curses, and the whereabouts of a mysterious dragon cane.

Magnus's crimes won't be so easily forgotten, and what Lexie unearths is going to change the future ... for everyone.

425 pages, Paperback

Published October 3, 2017

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Alexandrea Weis

49 books1,079 followers
Alexandrea Weis is an advanced practice registered nurse who was born and raised in New Orleans. Having been brought up in the motion picture industry, she learned to tell stories from a different perspective and began writing at the age of eight. Infusing the rich tapestry of her hometown into her award-winning novels, she believes that creating vivid characters makes a story moving and memorable. A permitted/certified wildlife rehabber with the Louisiana Wildlife and Fisheries, Weis rescues orphaned and injured wildlife. She lives with her husband and pets in New Orleans.
Newsletter sign up: http://eepurl.com/czfZYD

To read more about Alexandrea Weis or her books, you can go to the following sites:
Website: http://www.alexandreaweis.com/
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/authoralexand...
Twitter: https://twitter.com/alexandreaweis

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
Displaying 1 - 30 of 88 reviews
Profile Image for Janet.
2,093 reviews25 followers
September 12, 2017
Hold on to your seats because you're in for one helluva ride! Pulls you in with a phenomenal plot and a great cast. This is paranormal at its finest. The haunted house theme and Lexi's abilities really keep the pages turning. Lexie and her fiancée Will purchase an old house with lots of history, and things get going from there. The spirit of Magnus Blackwell has unfinished business and refuses to leave Lexie alone. The adventure continues in New Orleans own French Quarter where Lexie is drawn to the world of voodoo. You'll love to hate Magnus and won't be able to put this down.

The detailing of this book makes it the perfect escapism read. The appearance of a Maine Coon cat is a mystery. I don't know if it gets any better than this, but I'm anxiously awaiting the next book. Paranormal fans are in for a treat.
Profile Image for Jonas Saul.
Author 80 books348 followers
June 9, 2017
I read one of the Advanced Reader copies and absolutely loved this second novel in the Blackwell story. Well done, Alexandrea, another hit. The author drew me in easily with her characterization and fabulous style. Loved the New Orleans locations and the historical knowledge. This author is one to look out for. Enjoy!
Profile Image for Sandy S.
6,195 reviews152 followers
5 stars

ABOUT THE BOOK: Release Date October 3, 2017

••••••••••

REVIEW: DAMNED by Alexandrea Weis and Lucas Astor is the continuing story of Magnus Blackwell, a Victorian era gentleman whose spirit has been cursed to his beloved Altmover Manor in Maine. The new owners, Lexie Arden and her fiancé Will Bennett are determined to renovate Altmover Manor to its’ original glory but the building’s fabled history of hauntings and ghosts becomes the focus of our heroine when two spirits from the past battle for Lexie’s attention and help. Enter Magnus Blackwell, the former owner of Altmover Manor, and the ghost who will mentor our heroine through a world of the supernatural, voodoo priestesses and curses, magic, murder, power and revenge.

NOTE: Although listed as book one in the series, DAMNED is technically book two. For background and history about Magnus Blackwell pick up a copy of BLACKWELL (Magnus Blackwell .5) before venturing into the territory of the DAMNED.

DAMNED is a story of the paranormal; an intriguing thriller where the ghost of Magnus Blackwell is caught between the past and present; cursed to serve time for the sins of the past. Lexie Arden has the ability to see and speak with the spirits but there is more to our heroine than a reluctant medium-she’s a woman whose growing powers are seen as a threat to those in charge. From Boston to New Orleans Lexie, along with her ghostly companion, will go in search of a mysterious dragon cane that will change our heroine’s life forever.

Fans of Alexandrea Weis will recognize the author’s love of New Orleans, ghosts and the power of voodoo from many of her previous story lines including the Corde Noire Series, The Ghosts of Rue Domaine, and The Satyr’s Curse Series. DAMNED will explore the cult religion of voodoo-the power, the magic, the belief system and the rituals-all meant to pull the reader into a fantasy tale of ghosts caught in the ether between the ’then and now’, and the one woman whose gift of talking to the spirits is only the beginning of a magical journey. The world building is phenomenal; the sights and sounds of New Orleans are palpable; the mystery of the restless spirits continues to unfold.

Alexandrea Weis and Lucas Astor’s DAMNED is a fantastic journey; a well –written, dark and spirited story that will captivate the imagination with its’ passionate characters and vivid imagery.

Copy supplied for review

www.thereadingcafe.com
Profile Image for Cheryl Whitty.
904 reviews14 followers
Reviewed on Behalf of Book Addict live,
I knew when I started reading I was in for a supernatural journey, but all I can say at the moment is Wow. I had to read it in one go which meant I had read through the night. I will do my best to give a spoiler free review.
Things get interesting when they arrive at Altmover Manor in Maine and things start to get strange, First meeting Remi and we then get an inkling that Lexie has some supernatural juju. Will is an architect and wants to take the house back to its original state. Lexi starts going through the house looking at old photos and drawings to help him. Instead she encounters the ghost Marcus Blackwell.
Oh I thought a house haunted and a mystery to solve. Little did I know that was just the beginning? I loved this book, there is so much happening including a trip New Orleans and Voodoo. That’s all I am going to say and I off to start the authors blacklist, and the prequel to the book about Magnus Blackwell’s life.
I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review
Profile Image for Marissa.
514 reviews
September 29, 2017
I received a copy of this book from the publisher through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Damned starts out as a ghost story that evolves into a voodoo story, taking us from an old house in Maine to the streets of New Orleans. Lexie, the main female character, moves to Altmover Manor with her fiance, Will. The two being cleaning up and fixing the old manor house and stir up some spirit activity. The spirit activity leads to strange events, to include Lexie being inexplicably connected to Magnus, the former owner of the manor house with a sordid past and Magnus taking over Will's body during his sexual encounters with Lexie. This part was a bit disturbing since Magnus was into some very unconventional sexual practices. Also, Lexie's reaction when she found out it was Magnus in control during these very intimate moments was a bit low key. This made her character a bit unbelievable. I understood that she had encounters with spirits as a child, but none of them went to the level that Magnus did during these scenes. She just nonchalantly shrugged it off and went on trusting Magnus. Again, had a hard time wrapping my head around this. I actually liked the writing style and concept behind the story, but felt the character development could use a little work.
Profile Image for Alex.
777 reviews19 followers
May 25, 2018
This novel drew me in and would not let me go. I absolutely loved reading about Lexie's adventures as she tries to find out what really happened in her house, and why the ghost Magnus is attached to her. When she does research and finds out about the horrible things that happened in her house, she isn't even sure if she wants to live there anymore. However, her husband doesn't believe her and is determined to continue to live in his very own dream house.

The plot of this novel was fast-paced, and the twists were always unique. There were no editing errors that I noticed, and there also weren't any plot holes even though this was the first book of the series. The world-building was also incredible, as I felt as if I was in the haunted house my self, seeing the crazy visions that Lexie would have. This book almost feels like two books rolled up into one and took me longer than expected to read, but it did not leave me bored for any long periods of time. It was just as engaging and addictive throughout.

The only thing that surprised me about this book was that it was truly an adult romance and had quite a few sex scenes. I was expecting more of a fantasy/paranormal thriller when I read the synopsis, but it will definitely entice people who love adult romance novels. This was not necessarily a bad thing, but it was something that I think could have also been included in the synopsis for people who aren't interested in those kinds of stories.

Overall, the story was excellent, and I am almost done with the second book in the series now: Bound.

I would recommend this book to anyone looking for a paranormal thriller or adult romance novel.

I received a copy of this book and this is my voluntary review.
Profile Image for Dee.
1,952 reviews47 followers
October 5, 2017
4.5 ghostly stars

Well I’ll be Damned, see what I did there? Okay not funny and nor is this story. But it is powerful, gripping, exceptionally well written, and one hell of a page turner.

This story truly is a ghost story. It’s told from three point-of-views, Lexie’s, her husband’s Will, and the ghost of Magnus Blackwell. Now as strange as that sounds, it totally worked.

If you don’t believe in the gift of seeing, and even if you do, in the words of our heroine, keep an open mind. Those familiar with Marie Laveau will enjoy the references to her, I got a kick out of them.

Magnus is a man/ghost you’ll love to hate and hate to love. He stole the show for me. Lexie is equally likable and well developed. Will is probably the weakest character, but that could be due to him being more of a bit player for lengthy parts of the story.

There’s some grit which didn’t overly bother me. And some heat, although some of that gave me pause for reasons I’ll let readers discover for themselves.

If you enjoy lengthy novels, with plenty to keep you on the edge of your seat, I urge you to give this one ago.

Copy received via NetGalley
Profile Image for Cheryl Whitty.
904 reviews14 followers
Reviewed by Book Addict Live,
I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review
Profile Image for Alex Thorne.
131 reviews7 followers
October 16, 2017
As seen on The Ghastly Grimoire.

Damned: A Magnus Blackwell Novel sits among titles on NetGalley under the horror genre, but after force-feeding myself more than half of the book, I finally give up. I really, really wanted to like this book and I was excited to start reading it. Old houses, malignant spirits, all of that is most definitely my cup of tea. Pointless sex scenes, wish-washy spirits, and overly repeated points on the other hand are not.

I browsed past this title many times on NetGalley, mostly because I wasn’t sure I wanted to read it. The title and the synopsis were interesting enough, but the cover constantly discouraged me. In the end, while repeating to myself that age-old motto of “don’t judge a book by its cover,” I requested it. And, in rare fashion, found that it is exactly what it looks like on the inside.

Slow plots are nothing new to me. I’ve read some books that crawled. In most of them, by time you hit the halfway point something major has happened or there is a clear building of suspense, fear, etc. With Damned, that is not the case at all. Aside from one major change in the plot, which is rather anti-climatic and heart-breaking for someone like myself (I won’t say more than that because I don’t believe in spoilers), the book centers mostly around sex. By chapters ten-twelve, I read three sex scenes that aren’t even remotely arousing. In fact, it was a fourth scene of this nature that turned me away from finishing it.

Perhaps it is a mistake that this book is listed as horror on NetGalley. This genre label is not attached to it via Goodreads, after all. In fact, those tags are mystery, supernatural, ghosts. Generally I don’t review a book if it turns out it’s outside my genre, but here’s the thing: those are also part of what I read, and if that is where I found it, my opinion would remain the same.

I would like to thank NetGalley and the publisher for providing me with a copy of this book for the purpose of unbiased review.
Profile Image for Amber.
572 reviews41 followers
November 4, 2017
Damned by Alexandra Weis and Lucas Astor is the first book in the Magnus Bane Blackwell series. There is a prequel as well that is great and I highly recommend. Lexie Arden and her fiancé buy Altmover Manor. Will has dreams of renovating it and turning it into their dream home. There are spirits and voodoo, curses and supernatural elements to this book. I enjoyed it as much as I enjoyed the prequel and look forward to reading others in the series. I am excited to see where Lexie ends up and what else happens. I think the writing was good and the story was unique and interesting. And it’s hard to get over a character like Magnus Blackwell. 4 star rating.
Profile Image for Angela.
4,047 reviews48 followers
December 5, 2019
5 Stars

Edited 5th Dec 2019- Just finished reading this series- and I have read this book several times now, and is definitely still a 5 Star read. Riveting!!

“Who you were is of no consequence. It’s who you will become that matters.”

Damned is the second instalment (Book #1) in the Magnus Blackwell series by Alexandrea Weis with Lucas Astor- and comes after the prequel Blackwell (Book #0.5). I was riveted by the prequel, I couldn’t wait to continue the story, so I had a lot of anticipation for this book. The authors met all my expectations, and then some! I couldn’t have loved this book more. It is full of thrilling mystery, suspense, drama, the supernatural- voodoo, ghosts, and magic. It isn’t quite as dark as the prequel, but the story more than holds its own without it.
The story is set a hundred years after Blackwell and we find that Magnus is now a ghost, bound to his former home ‘Altmover Manor’. The manor is slowly succumbing to the elements, still an impressive sight, just in dire need of some attention.
Will Bennett is a talented architect who purchases the manor with big plans on renovating it and restoring its former grandeur. He and his fiancé Lexie Arden arrive at the manor ready to get things started, but they soon realise that things aren’t going to be quite that easy.
Lexie was born with ‘the gift’- which until now hadn’t meant much, just sensing stuff- but moving into Altmover Manor seems to awaken her gift- now she is able to see and hear ghost. Will doesn’t believe in the supernatural, so the fact that the house is haunted causes quite a bit of tension between them. Add to this, the strange caretaker of the property, Remi, who has agreed to stay on and help Will with the renovations. Lexie can’t help but feel that he is hiding something from them, and really doesn’t trust him.
Magnus needs Lexie’s help in finding his dragon cane, if it isn’t found soon chaos would ensue and destroy everything he holds dear. The search for his cane takes Lexie from the Island, to Boston and then on to New Orleans- along the way she discovers that there is so much more to the whole story that she could have ever imagined. To unravel the mystery and get to the bottom of it all, will take team work. She is going to have to learn to trust Magnus and work together in order for them both to find their destiny.
This book is an exceptional tale, incredibly well written- the product of very talented storytellers. The writing is compelling, polished, descriptive and exquisitely detailed. The authors easily transport the reader into the story, where we walk the streets of New Orleans, seeing all the wonders of the city, right alongside the characters.
I could go on and on about this book, I loved everything about it- but you really should read it for yourself, as you are sure to love it just as much as I did. But if you haven’t read the prequel, I would definitely start with it first, to get all the backstory and character details that are referenced in this book.
An amazing and truly memorable read!
I am really excited to find out what the next book has in store for us!

Thank you, Ms. Weis and Mr. Astor!
Profile Image for Kathy Rouchelle .
969 reviews11 followers
September 23, 2017
The first book captivated you, this book puts you in a trance that will not allow you to leave this story until you reach the very end..or is it Magnus that has you within his grasp, maybe it's the power of the infamous cane that has you caught in it's power? This book is amazingly well written, as is always the case with Alexandrea Weis, with a storyline that latches on to you from the very beginning with it's intrigue, mystery, ghosts and cast of characters that will have you enthralled throughout the book.

These characters; well you have Will, the handsome young architect who along with his beautiful interior designer fiance Lexie who have purchased Magnus Blackwell's illustrious Manor. Will is a bright young man with a bright future and the dream to make the manor his and his new bride's home. Lexie has a little gift that trouble's Will, only in that he does not believe, but he loves her so much that he allows her to talk about her gift..to a point. Remi is the man who has been the overseer of the manor until it was purchased and has agreed to help Will with the restoration of the manor. Lexie senses something about Remi but can't put her finger on it. There is more to this man than he is letting on and she finds many things about him strange, especially when he calls her out on her gift. Things really begin to start shaking, rattling and moaning as the ghosts know what Lexie is capable of and one in particular wants her to find something that is supposed to set him free of his bondage to this realm.

The excitement level really picks up once Will and Lexie have to leave the manor and return to Boston, to begin picking up their lives and move forward, but something takes place that makes Lexie decide that the best thing for her to do is to go to New Orleans to see what she can find out about getting rid of their new unwanted roommate, Magnus. Hold on to your seats because things are going to begin to get a little creepy and exciting! Lexie will find out much more about voodoo and even more about her gift, as well as more about her travel partner Magnus. But this trip is not only an education for Lexie, it also is eye opening for Magnus as he sees how the world has changed and finds himself changing himself.

This is an amazing book and a fantastic series and I highly recommend this book! TEN STARS!!!
Profile Image for Bobbi Wagner.
3,711 reviews24 followers
October 4, 2017
Damned: A Magnus Blackwell Novel (Book 1) by Alexandrea Weis is the second book in her Magnus Blackwell series. I highly suggest you read the first book so you get the full understanding of the character Magnus. You will also get to know this author's writing style and her attention to details that keep the story flowing until the end. This story will pull you in from the first word until the very last. It will take you on a roller coaster ride of mystery, suspense and ghosts. It will leave you sitting on the edge of your seat just waiting to see what will happen next. One thing I enjoy about this series is that there seems to be something lurking in the shadows in every book. In this installment you have Will and his finance Lexi. They have purchased Magnus's Manor and are determined to make it their home. But there is more to this Manor then meets the eye. What is lurking in the corners? Lexi has a gift that is made known but is she the only one that can reveal what is really going on? What will happen when they have to leave back to Boston? When they try to figure out how to get rid of Megnus (an unwanted guest) is where the story starts taking a twist that you won't want to miss. Will they finally be rid of Magnus? These are strong characters that will just plain take you on a journey through twists and turns. Magnus is my favorite character even though he is a little evil. I enjoyed him in the first book and I enjoyed him just as much if not more in this one. Wait to you see him when he realizes the world has changed from when he was in it last. I enjoyed that Lexi had these powers and what she could do with them. I think that there is a little more to her then we get to see. These character really are just well developed and you will fall in love with them. All of the characters including the ghosts make this story what it is. It is a free flowing story with a twist of paranormal that you won't be able to put down. I highly recommend this story, I know you will want to see what Magnus has for you this time! Is this really the house of their dreams?
Profile Image for Laura Furuta.
2,046 reviews25 followers
October 5, 2017
Damned: A Magnus Blackwell Novel (Book 1)
By: Alexandrea Weis/Lucas Astor
5 out of 5 stars

The story Damned: A Magnus Blackwell Novel (Book 1) by Alexandrea Weis/Lucas Astor is a suspense/mystery romance book. This is the kind of story that I love reading. It includes ghosts, voodoo, and the search for a dragon cane. This story had me hooked from the first chapter and I didn’t want to put it down until I had read the last page. It is a story about a young woman who while searching for a dragon cane, investigating the history of Altmover Manor, and also the history of Magnus Blackwell finds stunning revelations and that not all is as it seems to be. I loved reading about the characters of Lexie Arden and Will Bennet. Will is a man that wants to restore Altmover Manor. He puts all his time, effort, and money into the project. While Lexie is determined to support him, she finds that once they take up residence in the Manor he seems to be acting strangely. What could be the cause of his strange behavior? Lexie is a woman who is smart, independent, and has a gift. This gift is telling her that there is more to Altmover Manor than meets the eye. Her feelings are verified by strange occurrences that happen on a regular basis. Will Lexie find out all the secrets that Altmover Manor is holding? Then there is the character of Magnus Blackwell. When he was alive this man took actions that I would consider evil and selfish. Now as a spirit he is strangely attracted to Lexie and her gift. Why is he attracted to Lexie and is she in danger because of him? This story had me on the edge of my seat and wondering what was going to happen next. I also enjoyed reading about the relationship between Lexie and Will. This is the second book that I have read by the author. The first one was the prequel to this book and I highly recommend reading that one as well. I found that the author writes wonderful stories and creates amazing characters that come alive when reading about. This looks to be the first book in a series and I can’t wait to read the next one. This story does have some scenes with mature content.
Profile Image for Nancy (The Avid Reader).
2,247 reviews94 followers
October 14, 2017
Lexie Arden and her fiancé Will Bennett buy an old estate manor Altmover Manor. Will wants to restore the house to the way it was when it was first built over a hundred years ago and has Lexie looking in the attic for anything that may help them like old pictures and documents. During her search Lexie meets up with two ghosts who live at the manor, the owner and the original architect.

The original owner, Magnus Blackwell and ghost of Altmover Manor realize that Lexie has a gift. She can see and speak to ghost and Magus needs Lexie’s help to find his dragon cane. Magnus is bound to the old manor and can’t move on without Lexie’s help.

The search for Magnus cane takes Lexie to New Orleans, a place filled with voodoo, curses and magic. Once in New Orleans Lexie finds some people want her dead but some want and need her alive. She is immersed in the world of voodoo, curses and the dead along with a little black magic as well.

I really enjoyed reading Damned way more than I thought I would in the beginning. Yeah when I first started reading it I was like I don’t know about this one but the more I read the more involved in Lexie and Magnus’ story I became. I liked Lexie and Magnus although I didn’t approve of some of the things Magnus did when he was alive but now Will is a very different story. No, I didn’t care for Will much at first I didn’t like his attitude with Lexie always telling her what to do and how to believe. I mean just because he didn’t believe in something didn’t make it right or not true. I didn’t have a problem with him saying what he believed my problem was in him telling Lexie that she was wrong and how he said it.

Another thing I really liked about Damned is the old house with ghost and Lexie has the ability to see and talk to ghost. I liked the voodoo, magic and curses and New Orleans. I always enjoy learning about different religions and people’s beliefs and about a city. New Orleans is one place I would like to visit.

If you like voodoo, curses, magic and old manors filled with ghost then you are going to love Damned. I know I did. I can’t wait to get my hands on a copy of Magnus (Magnus Blackwell #0.5) to see how it all came to be.
Profile Image for Barbara.
2,041 reviews39 followers
September 30, 2017
OMG is an absolute understatement with this book / series. Ms.Weis has such a unique gift in her writing skills. Her way with words and her love of New Orleans and it’s macabre history just flows through her works, especially this series. Just like the prequel story Blackwell once you start reading Damned you won’t be able to set the book down. It sucks you into it in more ways than one.

The characters will touch your heart and you’ll just want to hold them close and go on this amazing adventure with them. (Even the ghostly ones will creep into your subconscious and make themselves at home). The characters (human and otherwise) are so well developed and their dialogues will keep you enthralled from the start to the very thrilling ending.

This book takes up years after Magus Blackwell left his mark on Altmover Manor, New Orleans and the world around him (in the prequel Blackwell). When the new owners of Altmover Manor, Will and Lexie, arrive the spirits become excited to say the least. You see, they need Lexie to use her “gift” to find Magus’s cane. Yep the original Baton Juju is once again at the center of things with people wanting to possess its powers. Lexie, Will and the ghost of Magus Blackwell will take you on one very wildly exciting ride and trust me you don’t want to miss it. It’s an amazing plot that will have you falling in love with the characters, the story and the powerful voodoo history in New Orleans. 5 stars doesn’t begin to do this book/series justice. It’s most definitely in my top 5 for 2017 if not my top 2. I highly recommend reading Blackwell then Damned and this reader is anxiously awaiting book 2 in the Blackwell series.
October 16, 2017
This book had a lot of buzz words for me which is probably why I wanted so desperately to be part of the tour. We have a neglected historical haunted house, curses, spirits, voodoo and lot of dragon references. Also, there were hints about Lexie having a supernatural gift and I pretty much had to find out what that gift was.

First I have to say that my copy of this book was beautiful. I don't normally like people on the cover, but I think the model's eyes, coupled with the dragon cane and mansion on the hill work great together. Next, there are flourishes at the beginning of the chapters and the chapter number is done in color - basically unheard of on my Kindle. It's all in the details people!

Next, I felt an immediate connection to the characters and I needed to know if Magnus was good, bad or somewhere in between. It was fun being with Lexie as she journeys to different areas looking for a lost relic and the descriptive methods used by the authors made me feel like I was seeing this run-down house for the first time and visiting the locations along with Lexie.

I don't want to give too much away because I went into the actual plot pretty blind, and I think I enjoyed it all the better because of it. I have discovered there is a prequel novel (Blackwell 0.5) which provides more into Magus' backstory and I've already purchased it for my Kindle. If you enjoy the things mentioned in the first paragraph, then definitely consider picking this book up!

I received this book from Xpresso Book Tours in exchange for an honest review.
Profile Image for Lynn  2 Girls & A Book.
629 reviews18 followers
September 9, 2017
Damned is the follow up to Blackwell, the prequel in the Magnus Blackwell Series. Blackwell was good but it was a slow build for me. Damned; however, roped me right on in. It being quite the page turner, I was immediately enthralled. I could have spent a day devouring the pages but alas life called and I had to stretch it out to a few night. I dreamed about this book. I woke up at 4am wanted to slide out of bed and slink off to read more. True story!

Alexandrea Weis and Lucas Astor did a fantastic job of weaving in just enough flashes back to the prequel that even "new to the series" readers will not be lost or confused. Weis and Astor sucked up the charm, architecture and mystic of New Orleans on the pages. I felt like I was walking down Bourbon Street.

And dare I say I actually liked Magnus Blackwell this time around. I still don't trust him 100% so we shall see if a leopard can change his spots.

My favorite character was Lexy Arden, the MC. She really put Magnus in his place and that was a long time coming. Her character was strong and resilient. Who knew what she hiding under her bouncy ponytail! I can't wait to see what else NOLA has in store for her.

I gave Damned 5 Stars. It's a haunting, thrilling tale from Maine to Louisiana. Alexandrea Weis and Lucas Astor make a fantastic writing duo. I look forward to reading more from them in the future.

***I received an ARC from the author but this did not influence my review of the story.
Profile Image for Cassandra.
338 reviews23 followers
September 18, 2017
Lexie and Will move into Altmover Manor and immediately strange things start to happen to Lexie. Dragon head decorations, which are all over the home, start to move. The chandelier swings when there is no breeze. There is a cat that only Lexie seems to ever see, roaming the house. They are met by the caretaker, Remi, who immediately give Lexie a bad feeling. While Lexie starts to go through the items left in the attic, Remi and Wil begin working on the other areas of the house. While alone in the attic Lexie finds pictures of the manor from years gone by. She also finds a voodoo doll which Remi believes probably came from a trip Mr. Blackwell took to New Orleans before his death. While in the attic she also begins to see the ghost of the Magnus Blackwell and his killer Jacob O'Connor. She soon learns that Magnus needs her to find his cane, but she has no idea where to look. This leads Lexie into the neighboring towns to gain information to help learn more about the house, Magnus, Jacob, and the others who lived and died in Altmover Manor. The time spent in the manor is cut short and Lexie heads to New Orleans to continue on the hunt for the cane and what it means for those who follow the voodoo religion. This book takes you from Maine to Boston and then to New Orleans and it keeps you guessing as to whom Lexie can and should trust. Her relationship with Magnus is complicated and at times their verbal interaction is witty. I really enjoyed this book and have no problem giving it a solid 4 star rating.
Profile Image for Jean Martin.
199 reviews1 follower
October 7, 2017
At first, I thought this was going to be a typical vampire novel. You know the one, The Vamp meets the girl, seduces her into his lifestyle, the girl seduces him into her life style etc, etc, etc.
But, No, Damned is SOOO much better than that!!! Dark, creepy, attics? Yep. Just in time for Halloween?? Yep. Really, Really fabulous book? Oh Yeah!!! This story should not be read alone, at night, with the trees making skritching noises at your window . . . No, this is a bright, sunny day read with lots of people around. Unless. . .You like to be scared???
I absolutely loved Damned by Alexandra Weis with Lucas Astor. This book was everything wonderful in a dark, spooky novel. I particularly loved the character development. There is real growth in Magnus from the first time we meet him to the end of the book where he finds his calling. And Will and Lexi grow and change also. This book did not end up anything at all like I thought it would. It was so much better!!
The descriptions of New Orleans were really wonderful. They absolutely reflected the nuances and attitudes of the old city. New Orleans has an amazing background in all things spiritual. And Ms. Weis and Mr. Astor have really caught the flavor and reflected it back in Damned.
This book was Great Fun and I highly recommend it and look forward to more adventures with Lexi, Magnus and Will. Bravo Ms. Weis and Mr. Astor.
Profile Image for Jan.
867 reviews41 followers
September 22, 2017
I would like to thank NetGalley and the publisher for an advance reading copy in exchange for an honest review.
Lexie and Will know that they have taken on a big job when they bought the old mansion. But as soon as Lexie arrives she know that there are going to be more challenges that just fixing the plumbing. She knows the house is haunted. Magnus Blackwell died over 100 years ago but he is tied to the house and can't move on. Can Lexie find a way to help him?
This book was really good. It reads very fast and I found it hard to put down. I was sad to see it end. At first I did not know what to think of Magnus. And I am still wondering about him. I hope to learn more (sequel please). Lexie is a wonderful character that I liked from the very beginning. The voodoo aspect of the story was really good and unusual for a story initially set in Maine. There is plenty of action but not at the sacrifice of character development. If you like a good creepy old house story with the exotic addtion of voodoo, you might want to check out this book.
Profile Image for Petula.
2,582 reviews55 followers
September 22, 2017
Architect Will Bennett has just bought the house of his dreams. Altmover Manor has not been lived in for decades, the locals swear it's haunted. Can our hero really live with all that comes with the woman he loves ?
Lexie Arden is happy to take on the work she and her fiancé have to do in the house if it makes him happy. Her problem is the ghosts that share it with them. Our heroine has seen the dead since she was a child, but never as vividly as now.
The caretaker that comes with the house also worries her, even if Will thinks he is just what they need. What is special about the mysterious man ?
There is a lot more to the house and it's ghosts than first appears. When the villainous Magnus Blackwell is involved, nothing is as it seems.
A very spooky, entertaining and at times scary read. It might be better for you to read the prequel first to get an idea what Magnus is really like. You could however read this on it's own and still really enjoy it.
A magical story, great fun. I loved it.
Profile Image for Joyffree.
2,870 reviews45 followers
October 10, 2017
I found this to be an entertaining and engaging read -
Adored Lexi - She is the perfect lead character - witty, strong, yet has some serious flaws that I can relate to
Will leaves a somewhat nasty taste in my mouth - yeah I get he doesn't believe but IDK for being an architect he isn't that creative and I found his personality a bit dull - but that is obviously a reflection of my preferences - you may love him
Now Magnus - I don't blame Lexi for not saying anything (can't tell you what she is mum about you know the whole spoiler thing) - I honestly like him despite his obvious pre-death lack of a moral compass -I think he is quite the perfect sidekick for Lexi
A whole lot of mystery and intrigue wrapped up in this novel and an excellent first book for the series- Lexi takes us from Boston to New Orleans in her search for answers and it is a wonderfully enjoyable journey
I had a lot of fun with the characters and look forward to book 2 - I have not read the prequel so I am going to have to go back to it
I received a complimentary copy of this book
Profile Image for Moriah Venable.
1,121 reviews26 followers
October 7, 2017
Damned is the first full length novel in the Magnus Blackwell series by Alexandrea Weis. This is my first novel by this author.

Lexie moves into a haunted house with her fiance Will. At first seeing the house, she is unsure since the house needs some work but Will convinces her is that it will be worth it in the end.

But there is a ghost who use to live in the Manor by the name of Magnus Blackwell only Lexie can see him but he refuses to leave. She needs her help to set him free.

Soon she becomes intrigued with Magnus Blackwell’s secrets one hundred years after his death.

While I haven't have the prequel to this story, I am interested in reading it after this. It wasn't hard to understand the story and I fell into the story almost instantly.

With paranormal aspects, mystery and a beautiful cover, this novel will keep you hooked from beginning to end.

I cant wait to read the next book.
Profile Image for Stephanie Norton.
173 reviews3 followers
March 19, 2019
Damned is a page-turner book. I couldn't put it down. Alexandrea Weis brought her readers into magical mysterious worlds. This is the second book in the Blackwell series. I would highly recommend reading the first book first. You can do it without it but there are details you will miss. Weis brings you on a journey that is captivating. An engaged couple Lexi and Will. Will is an architect and wants to restore the manor back to its original stage. While they are fixing up the Manor they start digging up the manor's past. Lexi comes across some photographs. These photos will help Will restore the home back to its original. The Manor's caretaker, Remi, recognizes that Lexi has a special gift. Magnus has also taken a special interest in her also. This book is very suspenseful, entertaining and great character arcs. I could really see this book becoming a film or even a tv series.
Profile Image for Jenny Prose.
746 reviews10 followers
October 3, 2017
First I have to say that, for me, this cover is a turn off. I don't like it and was tempted not to read this book, but having been a huge fan of Alexandrea Weis's previous books wanted to give it a fair shot, and I'm glad I did. The author has a way of spinning a tail with ghosts, and voodoo, and supernatural ability like no one else can. This book touches on all things supernatural and I loved that. The story was a little dry for me. Id din't keep my interest as other books had and I felt a lot of times that it was repetitive. But the underlining story is pretty great.

Definitely a good read for those interested in the spooky and scary.
Profile Image for H.B. Jasick.
Author 14 books122 followers
October 3, 2017
I was immediately drawn in and held prisoner by this story. The characters were fantastic, and everything else was just as addictive. This was a new to me author, and that will never happen again. I loved this book! It was everything and nothing I expected all at the same time. I highly recommend this book to the true paranormal fans.

Reviewed by #TheUnratedBookshelf & Sweet Spot Sisterhood
181 reviews1 follower
October 31, 2017
This right here is why you should buy new or just build your own home. No baggage comes with it. Even though this is a pretty epic adventure. I just don't want a ghost bossing me around. No matter how charming he is. Especially for a cane... I mean i get it... The cane is really important and you'll see why. I enjoyed this story. I haven't read a ghost story quite like this. I was sucked in and couldn't put it down.
Profile Image for Michele(mluker) Luker.
243 reviews16 followers
March 15, 2019
This read held more than I expected...I thought it was just going to be about a ghost causing problems with new people doing renovations on his mansion, but it turned a totally different angle leading to voodoo and high priestess.

Magnus Blackwell was a horrible person while he was alive, and I think now he is trying to make amends. He is attached to Lexie, and helps guide her through her journey in New Orleans to learn something huge about herself that she would have never dreamed for herself.

I feel that Magnus was my favorite character in this story, even though Lexie was the main focus. I would like to learn more about Magnus. I enjoyed Lexie and Magnus banter back and forth.

It was a fun story to read and if you like a little bit of spooky with a dash of murder, this story is for you.
Profile Image for Tess Burnside.
Author 5 books9 followers
September 9, 2017
This was absolutely outstanding! The story was rich in French Quarter culture and all its charm. It picks up years later from the prequel book, Blackwell (a must read). I was pulled into the story immediately, and it was difficult, turning to impossible to put down.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 88 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.