Start by marking “Moxie” as Want to Read:
Moxie

Moxie

4.32  ·  Rating details ·  13,594 ratings  ·  3,340 reviews
It's time to fight like a girl!

Vivian Carter is fed up. Fed up with her high school teachers who think the football team can do no wrong. Fed up with sexist dress codes, hallway harassment and gross comments from guys during class. But most of all, Viv Carter is fed up with always following the rules.

Viv's mum was a tough-as-nails, punk rock Riot Grrrl in the '90s, and now
Published September 21st 2017 by Hodder Children's Books (Hachette Children's Group) (first published September 19th 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Moxie, please sign up.
Michelle Right, because who wants to read a book about a girl gaining in self esteem, befriending other girls, and learning not to stay silent when she and…moreRight, because who wants to read a book about a girl gaining in self esteem, befriending other girls, and learning not to stay silent when she and other girls are treated like second class citizens? :)(less)
Kelly While the protagonist is a junior, I think the target audience for the book is a bit younger. I think my grade 8 & 9 students are going to be more…moreWhile the protagonist is a junior, I think the target audience for the book is a bit younger. I think my grade 8 & 9 students are going to be more interested in it than my grade 10-12 students, who tend to appreciate novels with a bit more moral and literary complexity.(less)

·  13,594 ratings  ·  3,340 reviews

Start your review of Moxie
Emma Giordano
Jun 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I’m going to be very transparent in the fact that I am never going to stop obsessing over this book. So be prepared, especially in the coming months of Moxie’s release, I ain’t shutting up about it.

I absolutely LOVED this book, way more than I anticipated. I originally wasn’t sure when I’d get to it, it just wasn’t high on my TBR, but after a sexist review, I knew I had to make it a priority and boy, did I make the right decision.

I do want to place a content warning for sexual harassment and
Elise (TheBookishActress)
Jan 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone looking for a fun feminist contemporary
In light of Kirkus' gross review of this, an added paragraph. I do not at all agree that this book “drives away male allies.” Given the content of the book Kirkus was referring to, I am of the opinion that this is a really gross opinion. If you think “calling out a person who's victim-blaming a rape survivor” is the same as “driving away male allies”, please consider blocking me.

This isn't even an accurate concern. The dude we're referring too, the main character's boyfriend, is given a chance
Caz (littlebookowl)
Jan 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites
I would recommend this book to anyone and everyone! It is so empowering and heartwarming to see these high school girls banding together to fight back against the sexism they face on a daily basis.

MOXIE GIRLS FIGHT BACK!

Content warning: sexual assault, rape
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin

This book was totally amazing! I was in tears near the end with all of the girls standing up together. They were there for each other, girls from all walks of life to stand up against those that try to make them something they are not, for trying to push them into corners to go along with things that shouldn't be. This book is all powerful in its own way.

Viv is a girl that goes to high school like your normal teen. She lives with her mom, her dad died when she was young, her grandparents live
Lola
Jun 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: feminism
Not long ago, I wrote an essay on the importance of feminism to various groups of people today and presented it to the class. The response was overwhelmingly positive and sparked different discussions.

The teacher was surprised. He looked at me and said, ‘‘This is how every oral presentation should go.’’ But then immediately after, as if really thinking about the issues I presented, he asked, ‘‘But are you girls, at your age, really affected by unfeminist behaviours?’’

The girls of our class
Kaylin (The Re-Read Queen)
4 Stars

“…a feminist. It’s not a bad word. After today it might be my favorite word. Because really all it is is girls supporting each other and wanting to be treated like human beings in a world that’s always finding ways to tell them they’re not.”

Okay, I’ll admit it. I was so nervous about reading this. I absolutely consider myself a feminist, but I also think writing a fiction book about a political/social movement is tricky. It’s very easy to lose focus on the characters and story—or
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
"This is what it means to be a feminist. Not a humanist or an equalist or whatever. But a feminist. It's not a bad word. After today it might be my favorite word. Because really all it is is girls supporting each other and wanting to be treated like human beings in a world that's always finding ways to tell them they're not."

A book about a teen girl coming into her own as a feminist and learning how to fight back against the patriarchy and rape culture? ... do you think I could have clicked
may ➹
super important messages, made me angry but also smile, & reminds everyone about the power of one girl’s voice against the patriarchy!!!

(also, this is my third YA book ever that I’ve read in one day. hell yeah)

// buddy read with birthday girl!!!
Taneika
Oct 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
4.5/5 stars!

I want to make it clear that I LOVED THIS BOOK SO SO MUCH.

Moxie is about Vivian, who is sick of the sexist shit that goes down at her high school and feeling inspired by her mum's 90's Riot Grrrl feminist zines, decides to make her own feminist zine to fight against the patriarchy and stand up for girls.

As a character, Viv is a bit shy, quiet and is scared of speaking out and getting caught making these zines in the first place. While she is quiet and a bit scared at first, she is
Tatiana
Sep 11, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: actual young teens or middle schoolers
Shelves: book-club, ya, starred-2017, 2018, 2
A little quiz.

1) A guy who repeatedly yells to you "Make me a sandwich!" and wears a t-shirt with the words "Nice legs, when do they open"? is:

a) bad
b) good
c) I don't know

2) Who should be punished for breaking school dress code: a girl who wears a scoop-neck shirt or a guy who wears a t-shirt with a big arrow pointing to bellow his waist and words "Free Breathalyzer Test Blow Here"?

a) boy
b) girl
c) I don't know

3) What should a high school principal do when a girl reports being sexually assaulted
Whitney Atkinson
This book was so touching. I love the fire and passion of all the characters about justice, and I think it's such an important narrative. The fact that the love interest identified as a feminist was enough to bring tears to my eyes. And I also love how this touches on the fact that feminism isn't perfect and people who try to help still makes mistakes. I wish 16 year old me could have read this and been inspired, so it's my only hope that girls that age will really internalize this.

My only two
emma
first half of this book: boring boring boring contemporary boring high school boring everything boring meh

second half of this book: FEMINIST CITY INTERSECTIONAL GLORY GIRLS BEING GIRLS TOGETHER AND BRINGING EACH OTHER UP FOR LIFE I LOVE IT and also a fair bit more making out than is my ideal

Basically, if I could delete the first 150 pages of this and also the entire romance subplot from the whole thing, this would be a five star read. And also like 20 pages long. So as is, it's not perfect for
Joce (squibblesreads)
3.75 stars (maybe 3.5 if I decide to weigh the issue I speak about more heavily)
I enjoyed this, and I wish there'd been more books like this when I was a teen!
My favorite parts were the shoutout to Roxane Gay (woohoo!), the depiction of the small town, and the portrayal of the different ways the adult men at the school were particularly shitty and how the power dynamic played into it. I also loved how Viv's relationship with her mom wasn't necessarily perfect, and that some things were out of
Maddie
Aug 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is my new favourite book. Full of feminism, girls supporting girls and taking action against injustice. Everything about this is just so powerful! It makes me want to stand up and cheer and fight back just like the Riot Grrrls would.

I loved how Viv didn't feel any ownership over the Moxie movement because in the end it belonged to all girls. I'd get so excited when a new girl was added to the team and the way the book spreads such a positive message about intersectional feminism. Viv,
Warda
Dec 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I pretty much inhaled this book. What an amazing story on what it means to be a feminist. I loved that it surrounded young girls fighting for their rights. For equality. For calling bullshit on the status quo. For empowering themselves and others to speak up and beautifully supporting each other.

What's even better is that more and more YA books are coming out that speak on issues that matter. It teaches the reader a lot and they're such great stories to find inspiration from. Heck, I'm 26 and I
Tan Markovic
Jan 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Reviews can be found at: www.booknerdtan.wordpress.com

Gutted I can only rate this 5/5 stars.
Wow. That book made me so happy.
The entire book was amazing, however, the last few chapters were SO powerful.
Did anyone else want to be a part of Moxie from start to finish and still do?

The book focuses on how powerful girls can be when they unite against the daily BULLSHIT girls have to go through rather than turn against each other and how you don't have to be loud to be heard. I'm glad the author
Beth
Moxie Girls Fight Back! ALL OF THE STARS FOR YOU!

Really all it is, is girls supporting each other and wanting to be treated like human beings in a world that's finding ways to tell them they're not.

Trigger Warning: Sexual Assault

If I could just stand up and applaud this book. IT IS AMAZING. In the last 30 pages I could of cried at just how proud I am of all the girls (and some boys) at the awful awful school! I can safely say that I identify as a Feminist, and sometimes this word can be seen as
Emer (A Little Haze)
Jul 26, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Young Teens learning about feminism for the first time
Recommended to Emer (A Little Haze) by: Aimee
I wasn't going to read Moxie. I got the vibe from it that it was sort of a book for the younger end of the YA spectrum and well... I'm a couple of decades past that *gulps*

But in my book group (currently recruiting new, interested members so hit me up for an invite )... Anyway we have this reading challenge this summer and basically we are all recommending different books to each other to read and discuss together. It's good fun!

So one of my friends in the group, Aimee *waves at Aimee*
Yusra  ✨
so i basically felt nothing but annoyed :)
rtc
—-
pre-reading:
ready to feel empowered, angry, and everything in between
Lior
Jan 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
(4.5)

“This is what it means to be a feminist. Not a humanist or an equalist or whatever. But a feminist. It’s not a bad word. After today it might be my favorite word. Because really all it is is girls supporting each other and wanting to be treated like human beings in a world that’s always finding ways to tell them they’re not.”

What a cute, feel good, heartwarming book!

I’ll be honest, I was kind of dreading this book. I was afraid it was going to be full of white, superficial, one
Jill
Jul 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I feel so honored that I have the ability to review this book early! I received this from my local bookstore and I could not be more grateful (:

YAY YAY YAY THIS BOOK PREACH IT! I haven't felt this empowered since I saw Wonder Woman xD

Ok let's start at the beginning of my journey with this book shall we? I was first exposed to Moxie when a firestorm of hype surrounded it because of a review calling this book anti male and all that. To be perfectly honest with you all, that made me slightly
Kate (GirlReading)
Mar 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Moxie is a powerful story of feminism, girls supporting girls and standing up for yourself, your friends and those whose voices are hushed. It was a story full of badass, empowering, strong women and equally strong friendships pulling together to fight the good fight. The writing was easy to read, the characters were instantly likeable and the relationships, whether in a romantic, platonic or family sense, were wonderful to follow. My only criticism is that, although it is discussed in places ...more
Bee (Heart Full of Books)
Aug 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: standalones
Well that was just all around fantastic, wasn't it.

Moxie is powerful and fun, with some seriously strong female friendships. I loved the coming together of the community, and how Viv was applying her feminism to her own relationship. I just wish more had happened between Viv and her mum, there were probably a couple of important conversations waiting to happen. But this book make me proud to be a girl, and I definitely need more Moxie girls in my life!
Fafa's Book Corner
Review posted on Fafa's Book Corner!

Beware spoilers ahead!

Trigger warning: Rape, blackmailing, harassment, bullying, slut shaming, mention of accident, sexism, misogyny, and mention of death.

Vivian is used to everything. She's used to behaviour of the boys. Used to all the sexist jokes, and the boy being able to get away with everything. Until Lucy transfers. Lucy is the new girl and the latest victim of Mitchell's harassment. Viv puts her foot down. Why should she and the rest of the girls
Eli
Oct 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.5* I LOVED THIS SO MUCH!
There are just some books out there that all people with (and without) a pulse should read, that would clear some massive problems! If I had a son I would shove it in his face and make him read it (but basically I did it with my boyfriend and he really loved this so yeah.. you don't always have to apply force I guess...)
As and english teacher I would put this on all the reading lists because even though I'm a few years older than those characters I loved the message and
ambsreads
Sep 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
TRIGGER WARNINGS: sexual assault, misogyny
REVIEW WARNING: it's a hell lot of babble

THIS REVIEW IS ALSO ON MY BLOG

R A M B L E

If you ever get one book recommendation from my blog make it Moxie. Honestly, this is one of the mostamazing books I have ever read. Honestly. I wish I could make everyone I know read this book. It is valuable and it is powerful.

These days, the wordfeminist is seen as a dirty word by some. It means man-hater, it means unwashed, it means venomous. Many shy away from using
Faye*
Oct 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
YES TO THIS BOOK!

Sexism exists. Girls and women feel unsafe, belittled, objectified, and humiliated every day, even in so-called “first world” countries, where we’re supposedly so far ahead and women have exactly the same rights and opportunities as men.

+ I have lived a very sheltered life so far (and I’m very grateful for it, don’t worry). If there is one thing that this book accomplished it’s reminding me of how lucky I’ve been, and how different and how unfair the world is for so many other
✩ Ashley ✩
5 Stars

All of you were S O F U C K I N G R I G H T !

I loved this more than I know how to express!!! Wow, talk about an empowering book—if you haven’t picked this up yet, put it on the top of your list! (PS this is also a great book to use to *avoid* an impending slump...)

description
TJL
I knew exactly what I was getting into.

I knew that.

I knew this book was going to be "Why Feminism is DA BEST THING EVAR and Boys Are Icky Yucky Sexist Dudebro Pigs". I knew that.

So why did I decide to read it?

Fuck if I know. I guess I just like watching train-wrecks.

So let me just outline some highlights- in no particular order- with a reminder that I am a woman, and therefore are especially fucking bothered by some of this shit:

(view spoiler)
Carole (Carole's Random Life in Books)
This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life in Books.

I really ended up enjoying this book! This was a review book that completely slipped through the cracks and was left to sit somewhat forgotten. By the time I pulled it out of the pile, I didn't completely remember why I had been drawn to it in the first place. I wasn't too far into the book when I realized just how good this story really was and I had a fantastic time with it.

It has been a long time since I was a teenager or went to

• The Nowhere Girls
  • The Poet X
  • Love, Hate & Other Filters
  • Leah on the Offbeat (Creekwood, #2)
  • On the Come Up
  • With the Fire on High
  • Eliza and Her Monsters
  • Far from the Tree
  • Girlhood
  • Sadie
  • Dear Martin
  • A Very Large Expanse of Sea
  • Truly Devious (Truly Devious, #1)
  • What If It's Us
  • American Panda
  • Girl Made of Stars
  • When Dimple Met Rishi (Dimple and Rishi, #1)
  • Pumpkinheads
I'm a high school English teacher, writer, wife, and mom who writes books for and about young adults. My novels include MOXIE, THE TRUTH ABOUT ALICE, DEVOTED, and AFTERWARD.

My fifth novel, THE LIARS OF MARIPOSA ISLAND, will be out in September 2019.

My novel MOXIE will soon be a movie for Netflix directed by none other than Amy Poehler! It has a special Tumblr I adore that you can check out at
“it occurs to me that this is what it means to be a feminist. Not a humanist or an equalist or whatever. But a feminist. It’s not a bad word. After today it might be my favorite word. Because really all it is is girls supporting each other and wanting to be treated like human beings in a world that’s always finding ways to tell them they’re not.” 69 likes
“Making girls monitor their behavior and their appearance because boys are supposedly unable to control themselves? That is one of the oldest fucking tricks in the book.” 39 likes