Start by marking “Runebinder (The Runebinder Chronicles, #1)” as Want to Read:
Runebinder (The Runebinder Chronicles, #1)

Runebinder

(The Runebinder Chronicles #1)

Magic is risen.

When magic returned to the world, it could have saved humanity, but greed and thirst for power caused mankind’s downfall instead. Now once-human monsters called Howls prowl abandoned streets, their hunger guided by corrupt necromancers and the all-powerful Kin. Only Hunters have the power to fight back in the unending war, using the same magic that ended
Published November 1st 2017 by Harlequin Teen

To ask other readers questions about Runebinder, please sign up.
Elias I think the author said that all major characters are LGBT, actually.

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
I won an arc copy of this in a Goodreads/Firstreads giveaway.

This cover is so freaking awesome and I admit I judged a book by its cover. I didn't realize exactly what it was about.

The beginning started out good, well accept for one thing but the author did that part really well. But I just wasn't feeling the rest of it. The concept of all these monsters is really cool though!

The book seems to have mixed reviews so you could be one that loves it 😊

Happy Reading!

Mel 💕

Ben Alderson
Nov 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my new favorite book.
First, it was a lot of elements I love. Elemental control, mage, witches, evil magic, post-apocalyptic world, burning desire, deep and interesting characters. But to top it off it displays a gay romance without explanation. I have NEVER connected to a character like I have with Tenn, so much so that 50 pages in I was in tears because I connected with him so much.

Alex is one of my new favorite authors and humans and I hope we get news on the sequel soon!
⚔ Silvia ⚓
Hello I just randomly found this book on GR and I went to check out what it is about and landed on this article of which I'll share a little extract for you lazy kids because I believe everyone, queer or not, will benefit from reading what the author said:

For most of us, just existing means having to constantly defend ourselves. Not necessarily from outright attacks or vitriol, but from the assumption that anything other than “straight” is an anomaly. That we are the outliers. That in order to/>
For
Crazy4Books
The magic and all the deadly creatures were super fascinating in this LGBT fantasy. The main character Tenn is a hunter who battles monsters as well as depression. I liked the world and the lore about the gods, but some of it was a little confusing. The plot was compelling and intense. The amount of death and violence was captivating. I also loved the mystery element. A book without a hint of mystery is like a character without personality. It builds suspense and drives the reader forward.

In Ru
ambsreads
Thank you NetGalley for sending me an eARC in exchange for review

DNF @ 10%

It's been a while since I've had a DNF. Like, a really long time. However, Runebinder really wasn't the book for me. I feel as though I may have DNF'ed it a little early but when the word 'lust' is mentioned twice within a page I can't help the gag that leaves my body and forces me to drop my phone. Can't deal.

I also was struggling with the writing style. I'm not sure if it was just the eARC version but it was formatted a tad strange t/>DNF
Cori Reed
Nov 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Okay. I have THOUGHTS.

I think, on the surface, I would have given this book 3 stars. It's not a masterpiece, but it's entertaining and I wanted to keep reading.

THAT SAID, the way Alex Kahler wrote a dystopian/fantasy where LGBT+ characters are a norm, not questioned, and very much the heroes, was FANTASTIC. So much respect for this novel. I will absolutely be picking up the rest of the series, whenever that may be.
Connor
[2.5 Stars]
Here's the thing: I really, really enjoyed the concept of this fantasy post-apocalyptic world. Magic comes back to Earth, and everything goes to hell after the corruptibility of humans is capitalized on by vengeful gods. I loved the elemental control and the concept that people could elect to attune to the different spheres and control water, earth, air, and fire. People having grouped up for survival fighting off hordes of deranged former-humans was so awesome. So basically, the wor
Sara
May 12, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

In a world destroyed by magic and greed, and monsters stalking alleyways, only Hunters remain with the powers to challenge them. But they’re fighting a losing battle. Can Tenn fulfill his destiny as the chosen one, and save the world? Or is a seductive promise from the evil Kin tempt him to destroy it?

On reading this, I was expecting an epic fantasy with some fantastic minority representation but unfortunately I was a l
nat.
Feb 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
imagine The Walking Dead and Avatar: The Last Airbender, but a lot more sexier and a lot more gay. and a whole lot better!

I do wish there was more explanation on how the magic system works though.
Hailey
SEE THIS REVIEW AND MORE AT LITERATURE DREAMS!

"Find the boy that Water weeps for. His words will shape the world."

Runebinder written by Alex R. Kahler is book one in "The Runebinder Chronicles".

Although November's theme is Blast from the Past, I promised to review some new releases. Today I am fulfilling that promise. Runebinder was published this month on the 14th.

Story in a Sentence: In a world destroyed by the misuse of magic and greed for power, Tenn has been singled out by a dangerous Kin named Tomás but when another hunter name/>Storypromise. />
Chiara
A copy of this novel was provided by Harlequin Teen Australia for review.

Here are four things I think you should know about Runebinder:

1) It’s a queer YA fantasy

Which are quite rare, even though there are more and more popping up. It’s still such an exciting thing to discover that a queer YA fantasy is heading to shelves, and when I heard about Runebinder it was no different. I was super keen for this story, and the added bonus that it’s #ownvoices.

There were no labels used in Runebinder, but I believe if/>1)
shady boots | #WatchPOSE
Post-apocalyptic fantasy gays I am here for it.

Azbaqiyah
Jan 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow...

I dare said that this is one of the best dystopian theme book that I had read.
Delia Evin
Aug 27, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf
I won an arc of this book through a goodreads giveaway.

So I really really hate when a book is DNF for me, but unfortunately in this case it is. I really really tried to get through it but I just couldn't.

First off let me start by saying that the premise of the book sounds great and it was immediately something I wanted to read. I started reading this book with high expectations but with each page that I got through it didn't get better.

This review will contain a few spoilers for some of the ch
Nov 16, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5/5 STARS

I received an ARC of this novel from Harlequin Australia in exchange for an honest review. All thoughts are my own.

I really wanted to love this book, it had been hyped up to be the next big fantasy series, with a LGQBTI+ rep as well - I was completely sold. I didn’t dislike it, I didn’t love it – I just liked it.

The unique world Kahler has created is fascinating, however it is delivered in my opinion quite messily – which leaves the reader frustrated with the
TJ✨
Feb 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook, favorites
First Off

Seriously freakin out about the awesomness

And the writing so good

Oh and for the so called (LOVE TRIANGLE) Shit I shipped both

Now I need to go to read some..... Do I want to read Runebinder again?

J.A. Ironside
3.5*

And I'm still not entirely sure what I just read. Sort of magic based dystopian urban fantasy with zombie like creatures and necromancers. Anyway I did enjoy this a surprising amount considering that I felt no deep tie to the characters. It's a good, solid fantasy, it just didn't quite hit the tropes I want out of a fantasy novel and there's nothing wrong with that. I liked Ten. It was good to see another queer protagonist and still have them be a fully rounded character. (Of lat
Cindy
Aug 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars!

dark, intense, and fascinating. loved the new world kahler
created in this dystopic fantasy, and loved our hero tenn as well.
Bec
Sep 30, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Here's my review - it's spoiler free.
I wish I fell in love with this. :(

Alison
Oct 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library, queer, sff, lgbtq
3.5 stars. Magic queer kids saving the world are one of my favourite things to read about. I rounded up on this one for that reason--I liked it, but it gets bumped up because it's freaking Harlequin Teen (Harper Collins) publishing magic queer kids saving the world, plus it's queer-as-normative world. Also, the cover is killer good. It's an ambitious, big story and it's nowhere near done, but I loved that it's everyday no-big-deal queer kids, who have always been no-big-deal queer, out there fig ...more
Līga Sproģe
DNF after 3 chapters

*uggly crying* This was supposed to be good!

description

This just reads like a movie, and not a good one at that. More like that cheap crap that went straight to DVD and you need lots of booze and funny comments from friends to get throught it.
Jess ✩
i don't know how, but somehow this book made me cry.

RTC.
Kirsti
Dec 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
YA fantasy with a leading gay character, monsters, magic, romance? Um, yes, this is the book for me! As soon as I read the back cover I was sold. 'Magic is risen. As Magic rises, humanity falls.' proclaims the back. Sounds awesome!

I will say, I did have some issues. I felt like the beginning was rushed and it didn't calm down for a good 80 or so pages. It was honestly exhausting! Because of the rushed pacing, I never felt fully grounded in the story, and when I was finally getting so
Mary Nguyen (fox & wit)
Disclaimer: I received an ARC in an exchange for an honest review.

I don't know to feel about this book. It wasn't bad but it wasn't great either. The last 75 pages were interesting though.

It's weird. The pacing of this book isn't slow. You start off with intense action and delve right into the world. But.... I just didn't feel connected to it.

The relationship between Tenn and Jarret is odd. It's cute but odd. The author tries to downplay the insta-love by maki
blackmarketfungi
While the magic seems a little underdeveloped and feels like it was mostly made up as the book was written this book is gay as fuck and I loved it, even if it took me nearly a month to read ...
Cindee
Apr 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: perks-uno-shelf
I really liked this book it started out from the start with a bang and never slowed down all that much. The characters were interesting I especially liked Tenn and Jarret I really loved their relationship and their romance it was so very good and well developed. The Tomas character was so very creepy but he kept the plot along nicely although I kept thinking the whole time Tenn should not of liked him at all and should not of been so conflicted about him. I really liked the plot of the story it ...more
Laura Henry
Apr 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: queer-reads
I was immediately delighted by this book because it is a YA fantasy/apocalypse story featuring a gay main character! A log of people have asked me if i like it just because of the LGBTQ inclusion and the answer is no. This book is an incredible fantasy story as well as being a heartfelt gay story. This book has one of the most dynamic casts of characters and the magic Kahler constructed in this world is super interesting. I always knew that my heart needed more LGBTQ fantasy books but really my ...more
SammiSue
Jun 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was a wonderful adventure. It reminded me Jex Lane's Beautiful Monsters series. Maybe that, and the first season of the Walking Dead lol.

I dunno. Ijust know that I enjoyed it even tho the most intimate it got was cuddling and one dub-con make out sesh.

I like my books x-rated, kay? Don't judge me. This book was still really good, and it would be at least r rated anyways with all the blood and violence lol.
SammiSue
This book was a wonderful adventure. It reminded me Jex Lane's Beautiful Monsters series. (Even down to the as-of-yet unpublished final books😥) Maybe that, plus the first season of the Walking Dead.

I dunno. I just know that I enjoyed it even tho the most intimate it got was cuddling and one dub-con make out sesh.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Plague of Spells (Forgotten Realms: Abolethic Sovereignty, #1)
  • Guarding the Vampire's Ghost (Green's Hill, #3)
  • Shatter the Sky (Shatter the Sky, #1)
  • Hawkspar (Korre, #2)
  • Superior
  • Koan (Wolf's-own, #3)
  • Purpose
  • Hell's End (Hellscape, #1)
  • Children of the River Ghost
  • Cloaked in Shadow (The Dragori, #1)
  • Alliance in Blood (Partnership in Blood, #1)
  • Black Wings Beating (Skybound #1)
  • Dagger (The D.U.S.T. Ops #1)
  • Spera, Volume 2
  • The Rules of Ever After
  • Water Witch
  • Shadow Walkers
  • Angels of the Deep
Alex (A.R.) Kahler is the nomadic author of quite a few books and series, including THE IMMORTAL CIRCUS and RAVENBORN. When not writing or on the road, he can be founding climbing things and drinking copious amounts of coffee. Although born in Iowa, his heart resides in Scotland. And about a dozen other places scattered across the globe. Including, currently, SoCal. Track his travels on Instagram ...more

The Runebinder Chronicles (3 books)
  • Runebreaker (The Runebinder Chronicles, #2)
  • Runemaker (The Runebinder Chronicles #3)