Start by marking “Death of Riley (Molly Murphy Mysteries, #2)” as Want to Read:
Death of Riley (Molly Murphy Mysteries, #2)

Death of Riley

(Molly Murphy #2)

Molly Murphy apprentices to Paddy Riley for her new profession. The tough old Cockney PI specializes in divorces. Molly hopes to seek counsel of and hook handsome NYPD police captain Daniel Sullivan. But Riley's murder sends her through back alleys of Manhattan and into bars and lounges of the literary - writers, actors, poets, musicians - and suspects.
Published December 7th 2003 by Minotaur Books (first published December 5th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Death of Riley, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Death of Riley

Start your review of Death of Riley (Molly Murphy Mysteries, #2)
Phrynne
Dec 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 5000-books
As in book one, suspend belief for most of the book and it is very enjoyable indeed. Try not to think what would happen to the totally outrageous Molly if Daniel was not there as her guardian angel to save her from her ridiculous scrapes. Just sit back and enjoy the atmosphere of turn of the century New York when it was so easy to shoot a President except that the crowd would try to lynch you afterwards!

I listened to this one on audio as I did the first book and I think the narrator adds to the
Jonathan
After I finished the first book in this series, I couldn't wait to read the second, and since I'd picked it up awhile ago at a book sale I dug right in! Though not quite as good as the first, Death of Riley was still an excellent book.

Molly has finally started settling in to her life in New York but she still can't find a job that suits her. So, when circumstances lead her to Paddy Riley she desperately wants to be his assistant, even though he's not sure if he wants or needs an assistant yet. H
Dana Stabenow
Mar 20, 2013 rated it liked it
I like Molly. I especially like her reaction to The Bad News in her personal life (don't want to be too specific)--she doesn't despair, she gets mad, and then she makes a plan for the rest of her life. She reminds me of Mary Tyler Moore when she first goes in to interview with Mr. Grant. "You know what you've got, Mary? You've got spunk. I hate spunk."

Molly's got spunk, too. She might even be unsinkable, and even if she isn't, this series would be worth reading for the local color, New York City
C.
Jan 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
I collected Rhys Bowen hardcovers and softcovers for awhile and was glad to find that I love this Molly Brown series. I am impressed by how realistically and tangibly 1902 in New York is conveyed. Oddly, I dislike her Evan Evans series. I will try her royal ones soon.

I read “Murphy’s Law” in April 2018. I am pleased to continue this series, again which I would have given five stars, if nonsense did not weaken the end of the mysteries. Released a year later in 2002, “The Death Of Riley” is a titl
Luffy
Aug 22, 2013 rated it did not like it
After reading all of the story and part of the afterword, I can understand that The Death of Riley is a twofer that links up to the death of President McKinley. I also understand that many of the quips were referenced ideas that will strike the funny bone of people more cultured, amenable, or aware than me. That does not make this premise less of a headscratcher in terms of vitals, twists, showdowns, and cliffhangers.

I was lulled into a sense of insecurity from the senseless violence and acti
Hannah
I didn't enjoy this quite as much as the first one, but the mystery was still good. I think it was in part because of a bit more risqué content than the first one contained—there are numerous Irish curses, and Molly ends up with a bohemian artsy crowd with scant morals. Otherwise, a solid mystery as Molly seeks to go from amateur to professional and blunders her way through a case far beyond her experience.
Bonnie
Jan 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
Molly is acclimating herself to New York City after immigrating from Ireland and decides she would like to become an investigator working for people in Europe who've lost touch with relatives in America. She thinks this will be a source of income and also keep her in touch with the police detective she met on Ellis Island, Daniel Sullivan.

She notices a man lurking in the bushes outside a house one day and follows him to his place of business. He turns out to be Paddy Riley, a tough old Cockney
Lauren
Death of Riley
3.5 Stars

Irish immigrant Molly Murphy is acclimating to life in New City at the turn of the century, but is finding it difficult to hold on to a position due to her fiercely independent nature. After witnessing a private investigator at work, Molly is determined to apprentice herself out to him and all seems to be going well until Paddy Riley is murdered and Molly sets out to discover who killed him.

It took me a bit longer to get into this installment as compared to the first book
Kara
Nov 19, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: not-finished
I was really getting into this book, but then the author had to throw in some homosexual relationships and it just ruined it for me. The story is set in 1901 so I really didn't expect anything like that but there it was. I was really enjoying it too and I was more than halfway through, but I just can't condone things like that by reading further. Too bad everything seems to be bombarded with it these days =(.
S. Davis
Apr 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
4 stars for what it is: a charming, light mystery, but not one I'd like to continue at this time.
Maybe when I'm my grandmother's age.
Aoife
Dec 08, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wing Kee
Sep 12, 2018 rated it liked it
An interesting continuation to themes and threads from book 1.

World: The world building is pretty fantastic for a cozy mystery book like this. I had expected basic premise and foundation before the book went ahead with it’s basic plot but here the world is lush and lived in and the look of New York that Bowen gives us is well thought out and detailed. The world building is possibly the biggest and most well done thing in the series and I am plesantly surprised. This time around we get different
Betty
Jun 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library-books
This the second book in the series. Molly is settled in New York. She is determined to become a private investor and manged to convince Paddy Riley to hire her. When she enters the office one day she finds him dead and gets a glimpse of the Murderer. The cops are really interested in the case so Molly Decides to solve it. She meets Gus and Sid and learns about them. This is a suspenseful story and the end is a surprise. This was a large print edition from my library.
Janet
Mar 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
I love period mysteries that cover actual events and this one did that so well. I enjoyed Rhys Bowen's British series "Her Royal Spyness" enough that I started the Irish-immigrant-in-NYC series circa 1901. Molly Murphy is the protagonist and I like this series even more so far. I am well into book 3 and I look forward to book 4 already.
Feb 18, 2014 rated it liked it
An easy read, quite enjoyable, and New York in the 1900s is interesting but the heroine, Molly Murphy, certainly seems to bluster her way around discovering clues by accident. And, if I'm going to be completely honest, the vast majority of the characters in this book are totally flat. Let's see if the third in the series is any better...
Sarah Coller
Jul 02, 2018 rated it it was ok
I wasn't super impressed with this installment of the Molly Murphy series. There were many coincidences and several pretty hokey parts: the mysterious "language" that was really just backward writing (not much sleuthing required there...). Also I thought Molly did several out of character things like falling for Ryan so quickly and becoming weirdly jealous---even after she found out he wasn't interested in women. This story was kind of dull and didn't really capture my interest. Hoping for a bet ...more
Susie
Jun 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was more like 3.5 stars, but I'm rounding up because the last half of the book really shined. (Shone?) (The first part was a bit draggy.) I enjoyed the supporting characters Molly met toward the end and I really hope they stay in her life. Molly can be an exasperating protagonist -- she's rash and silly sometimes and does some dumb stuff -- but in the end you're right there with her, hoping she gets to the bottom of things. I wish the writing were a bit more sophisticated, but mostly it was ...more
Jodi Wiese
Aug 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
I'm really enjoying these books. I have the audio version and find myself keeping the TV off and listening to the book while crafting. The characters really come alive in the audio book highly recommend them.
Christina
Aug 15, 2017 rated it liked it
This book would have been a lot shorter if Molly had initially realized she was at a turn of the century gay bar.
Ver
Dec 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Very interesting twists of action, I'm looking forward to reading the next part!
Nancy Haddock
Jan 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book! I'm hooked on another Rhys Bowen series!
Sam
Mar 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
This was an engaging and interesting read. Lacks some of the initial charm of the original novel but makes up for it in an exciting, twisty plot.
Lisa
Mar 14, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good second volume. Still haven't made up my mind whether I really like the series or not. Need to read one or two more to see if anything develops between the main characters.
Jusangie1
Jul 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Jusangie1 by: jusangie1@aol.com
I just love Molly...and to learn about NY around 1900
D.B. McBrierty
Good read

I enjoyed the story st times the situation seem dumb and if the rest of the Series is like the middle of this book I will not be reading them
Sheila
Mar 07, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I finished the book on 3/23 and Rated it ★★★.

This is the 2nd book in the Molly Murphy mystery series. Molly is a recent immigrant from Ireland who is trying to start her life in turn of the century New York. Molly isn't satisfied with the opportunities afforded single females at the time and wants to start her own PI business. She talks Paddy Riley into taking her on as an assistant and when he is killed she jumps in with both feet to try to solve his murder.

These era books always make me thank
Mark Baker
Mar 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery, 2002
New immigrant Molly Murphy has decided to take on a job as a private investigator. Somehow, she talks Riley into mentoring her. However, when he is murdered, Molly is on her own trying to find out what happened to him. Another great visit to 1901 New York, this one introduces more series regular characters and is stronger than the debut in the series.

Read my full review at Carstairs Considers.
Argum
Nov 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is the second Molly Murphy and I am even more sorry that it has taken me to start up this series than I was after reading the first entry. I really like the friends that circle Molly and am curious to find out how they turn out especially Daniel. The character of Molly though is wonderfully plucky and determined. I like Molly am sad that Riley died before we got to see more of him, but enjoyed the twists and turns in solving his murder. Greenwich Village residents were fun additions that ad ...more
Lori
Aug 31, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio, book-shelves
I'm so happy I decided to try this series by Rhys Bowen, I love Her Royal Spyness series and thought this one must be good too and it is! Molly is determined to become an investigator and in this story she convinces an experienced detective to let her help around the office. When he is murdered and the police don't seem concerned about finding the killer Molly decides it is up to her. Anarchists, playwrights and the bohemian all are now in her life. I can't wait to see what happens next.
Erin Lee
Oct 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Rhys Bowen, you wily and clever genius. How you managed to worm the McKinley assassination into a plot was brilliant, and didn't seem contrived or far-fetched. The more I read, the more I love of the characters in Molly Murphy's world. ...more
Historical Myster...: Molly Murphy by Rhys Bowen 19 29 Sep 18, 2015 01:46AM

• Murder on Trinity Place (Gaslight Mystery, #22)
  • Murder on Waverly Place (Gaslight Mystery, #11)
  • And Only to Deceive (Lady Emily, #1)
  • Murder on Union Square (Gaslight Mystery, #21)
  • Murder on Sisters' Row (Gaslight Mystery, #13)
  • Murder in the Bowery (Gaslight Mystery, #20)
  • Murder on Lexington Avenue (Gaslight Mystery, #12)
  • Murder on Pleasant Avenue (Gaslight Mystery #23)
  • Murder in Chelsea (Gaslight Mystery, #15)
  • The Ghost and the Dead Man's Library (Haunted Bookshop Mystery, #3)
  • A Poisoned Season (Lady Emily, #2)
  • Murder on Gramercy Park (Gaslight Mystery, #3)
  • Murder on St. Mark's Place (Gaslight Mystery, #2)
  • The Snares of Death
  • A Fatal Waltz (Lady Emily, #3)
  • Certain Woman of an Age
  • Princess Elizabeth's Spy (Maggie Hope Mystery, #2)
  • The Turning
"I'm a New York Times bestselling mystery author, winner of both Agatha and Anthony awards for my Molly Murphy mysteries, set in 1902 New York City.

I have recently published two internationally bestselling WWII novels, one of them a #1 Kindle bestseller, the other selling almost half a million copies to date.

I also write the Agatha-winning Royal Spyness series, about the British royal family in th

Molly Murphy (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • Murphy's Law (Molly Murphy Mysteries, #1)
  • For the Love of Mike (Molly Murphy Mysteries, #3)
  • In Like Flynn (Molly Murphy Mysteries, #4)
  • Oh Danny Boy (Molly Murphy Mysteries, #5)
  • In Dublin's Fair City (Molly Murphy Mysteries, #6)
  • Tell Me, Pretty Maiden (Molly Murphy Mysteries, #7)
  • In a Gilded Cage (Molly Murphy, #8)
  • The Last Illusion (Molly Murphy Mysteries, #9)
  • Bless the Bride (Molly Murphy, #10)
  • Hush Now, Don't You Cry  (Molly Murphy, #11)