Start by marking “The Night Drifter (St. Leger, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Night Drifter (St. Leger, #2)

The Night Drifter (St. Leger #2)

In this sequel to "The Bride Finder, " Lance St. Leger leaves his body behind as he lets his spirit drift into the night and into the home of a sheltered widow. When she mistakes him for the ghost of Sir Lancelot, Lance teases and tempts her and fills her with yearning. Little does he know then that a murderous enemy threatens his inherited powers.
Published February 1st 2000 by Ivy Books (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about The Night Drifter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Night Drifter

Kathy
May 31, 2009 Kathy rated it really liked it
This is the second book in the St. Leger series. I didn’t like this one as much as I liked The Bride Finder. This is the story of Lance St. Leger, son of Anatole and Madeline, who were the main characters in The Bride Finder. As with all St. Leger’s, Lance has a special magical kind of ability. He can “night drift” out of his body to wherever he wants to be.

Lance, the eldest twin son and heir has returned from battle while his parents are away. The story begins with Lance losing the St. Leger S
Christine
Sep 18, 2013 Christine rated it liked it
In this second book of the St. Leger series, Lance St. Leger is presented with his destined bride, a fanciful lover of Arthurian legends who first meets Lance while he's night drifting -- leaving his body behind at night to wander the earth. She mistakes him for Sir Lancelot and his lost sword for Excalibur.

This premise was awkward. Rosaline falls in love with Sir Lancelot, but dislikes Lance on sight. I had trouble buying this. And when I did manage to suspend disbelief I found Rosalind to be
Angela
Mar 04, 2017 Angela rated it it was ok
It was really hard to get into this book.

Our Heroine: Rosalind couldn't figure out what type of character she wanted to be. Is she the pragmatic woman who calms her weeping maid? Is she an air-headed girl who dreams of legendary romances? Or is she just a weirdo who fancies herself in love with the ghost of Sir Lancelot, after only a handful of conversations with the spirit? (hint: it's the last)

Our Hero: Did this guy brood. And brood. And then brood some more. I respect his loyalty to his chil
Sarah Raplee
Aug 30, 2011 Sarah Raplee rated it really liked it
The Night Drifter is a gem of an escapist book! The second in a trilogy, this book was an enjoyable read even though I hadn't (yet!) read the others. Susan Carroll builds a believable world in which a nineteenth-century family is rumored to have magical abilities--rightly so! The naive heroine hides from the bleakness of her life by pursuing an interest in legends. When she meets the hero in his magical form and mistakes him for the ghost of Sir Lancelot du Lac, she thinks she has fallen in love ...more
TJ
Dec 23, 2009 TJ rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy-romance
I found the storyline with the heroine refusing to acknowledge the man who loves her and wants to marry her because she is in love with a ghost really silly and, as that plot continues through the book, very annoying. Even when she accepts her love for Lance the plot twists remain too unbelievable to interest me.
Rachel
Aug 15, 2008 Rachel rated it it was amazing
Such an interesting concept - night drifting. But really inventive. I love the Camolot subplot to this story. She is so dazzled by the ghost of Lancelot that it makes this book fun to read. (Again, you'll have to skip a couple pages.)
Erin
May 02, 2010 Erin rated it it was ok
Shelves: romance
The first book in the series is much better. I read this one to see what had happened to the characters from the first one. I thought that Rosalind loved the ghost a bit too much. Read the first one.
Debby
Jan 15, 2017 Debby rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, paranormal
Lance St. Leger is the oldest son of Anatole (Bride Finder) and a twin. While searching for a family sword lost in an attack he "drifts" into widow Rosalind's home. When the Bride Finder declares Rosalind to be his bride all heck breaks loose. Neither want to be attached and the old Mortemain rivalry re-occurs. Eventually works out. Good, clean read.
Melanie
Oct 13, 2008 Melanie rated it really liked it
Shelves: series
I could not wait to read the 2nd book of The Bride Finder series this book begins with the two of the children from our main characters in book one, Lancelot the eldest twin son and heir has returned from the war and his parents are away and he is left in charge. Lance would rather not have these responsibilities, but oldest son it is his responsibility. The story begins with the loss of the St. Leger Bride Sword - a priceless family heirloom that gets passed on to the brides found for St. Leger ...more
Jen
Feb 03, 2011 Jen rated it liked it
Shelves: romance-chic-lit
Lance St Leger, the oldest son and heir to Castle Leger has always been restless. He's drifted away from his family to join the army and had his heart broken and his illusions shattered. Now, he's back at Castle Leger to oversee things while his parents are away. Dressed in old chainmail one night at a fair, Lance is set upon by a theif and the family sword is stolen. Lance has an ununusal power, even for a St Leger, he's able to separate from his body and go "drifting" like a ghost. It's this p ...more
Deirdre
Jan 07, 2009 Deirdre rated it really liked it
Lance St Leger is the eldest son and heir to Castle Leger and he's restless. He can allow his spirit/soul/consciousness/whatever to drift around in the night while his body remains behind (he/the author refer to it as "Night Drifting", most others call it Astral Travel). When he loses the family sword he decides to go hunting in this way, seeing as he had been at a fancy dress party as Lancelot the Knight this is what he appears to be when he's travelling and how he appears to the young widow Ro ...more
Lycerlene
Aug 03, 2014 Lycerlene rated it it was amazing
This book was the first one that belongs to this genre that I have read and by far, it had set my ratings high. The story Miss Carroll had weaved brought me into a world that I wish I have lived in.The tales of knights, magic, and true love as well as the elegance of the era had really caught my attention that willed me to hunt down the third book for I am unable to move on from the story. I wanted to be part of the legend, see what's the next chapter for the St. Legers. And now I also wish to g ...more
May 08, 2013 Laura rated it liked it
I found this second book in the St. Leger trilogy to be a little silly. I don't read books like this expecting literary masterpieces, but it just seemed silly and contrived to me. The magical talent of Lance St. Leger is that his soul can leave his body and drift through the night. And then when he does this and is caught by a Rosalind, a lovely young widow, he pretends to be the ghost of Sir Lancelot of the Arthurian legend. Really, is that the best Carroll could come up with? I'm hoping that t ...more
Cristina Contilli
"Tu eri una damigella in ambasce, avevi bisogno di un eroe, di quel genere di eroe che io ho sempre desiderato essere, un cavaliere in armatura scintillante, e mi vedevi proprio come se lo fossi stato... per qualche tempo ho potuto fingere di esserlo."

Non sentendosi "degno" della donna che ama il protagonista di questo romanzo sceglie di essere ciò che lei desidera per essere ricambiato, ma quando l'inganno si svela dovrà faticare non poco per riconquistare la fiducia di Rosalind... un romanzo d
Chris
Jan 13, 2011 Chris rated it really liked it
I love Susan Carroll's stories of the St. Leger family. This 2nd book of the St Leger series is the enchanting tale of widow Lady Rosalind Carlyon and the eldest St Leger son and rake, Lance St Leger. Lady Rosalind is an imaginative and romantic dreamer who crosses paths with Lance while in his ghost like persona using his unusual night drifting gift. It's a sometimes amusing, emotional and romantic story of love and forgiveness.
A. R.
Apr 08, 2010 A. R. rated it really liked it
Have read all three of the St. Leger series and like this one the best. I read them out of order which eliminated some of the surprise in the ending of this book, but still enjoyed the story. I like her style, although not a huge fan of the ripling muscle romance. In her writing I think it is a little tongue in cheek (as in he wore indecently tight breeches) and found myself chuckling over the descriptions.
Karen Wilson
Juliet
Sep 28, 2014 Juliet rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
I have to admit that this is the first book by Susan Carroll that I have read, but she hasn't yet stopped amazing me. The story was so dynamic that I wonder how she even keeps up. She probably rereads every book before she writes her next one. This one made me cry so badly that I almost stopped reading it. It was so hard seeing the pages. Suffice it to say I cried for like 60 pages nonstop and finished reading it at 3:45 in the morning. I cannot wait to read her next book.
Eli
May 18, 2016 Eli rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
OMG! Me sorprendió tanto, al principio pensé que no me gustaría tanto como "El Buscador De Novias", pero definitivamente este libro también tiene lo suyo. Hubo una parte en la que se me partió el corazón, ya no podía soportar la tristeza que me hizo sentir. El epílogo me mató y me encantó. Susan Carroll es una escritora que ha sabido engancharme totalmente. Definitivamente lo recomiendo :D <3
Marianne
Jun 19, 2014 Marianne rated it really liked it
About 4.5 stars. Carroll writes the exact type of hero I love best. Tortured, honorable, and genuinely nice underneath his rough exterior. I thought Rosalind was kind of dopey at times, which is the only thing that brought this down from a pure 5. Just a very sweet, satisfying story with plenty of additional plot lines to make it into something even better. WANT MORE!! WANT MORE NOW!!
Judith (Judith'sChoiceReads)
definitely not as stunning as the first one, I found myself skipping some pages with this one - yes, guilty! it just didn't grab me, but Carroll's writing was still stellar, read this book for that. Because I'm a fan of hers I couldn't give this a two, it's the curse of the 2nd book in action and it happens.
Haley
Dec 01, 2010 Haley rated it really liked it
This is the second book in the series and I really enjoyed it. Like I said before, this is a paranormal series but I thought I am getting more used to it and it is definitely a different idea. I like it.
Trisha
Mar 21, 2009 Trisha rated it liked it
I have read the book before this story - The Bride Finder, and once again an okay read.
We are with 2 of the children of the previous characters in The Bride Finder. The 2 boys (twins) are set to use the services of the bride finder for themselves
Irishgirl1247
Jun 03, 2010 Irishgirl1247 rated it really liked it
reread Sept 2013

My favorite St. Ledger book. I really liked Lance and Rosalind. Yes both of them can be a little stupid at times, but I felt like it was a realist stupid, if that make sense. As opposed to an annoying stupid, both of them always mean well.
Katherine
Okay, I probably enjoyed this one more than I should have. I knew ahead of time, though, that I would have to skip a couple of parts. I'm not sure how graphic they got, I just skipped ahead when it started to get iffy for me. So, not exactly clean, but a fun story!
Mary Ann
Jul 15, 2012 Mary Ann rated it it was ok

Seemed more suitable for a romantic teenager

Emaline Lapinski
Jul 27, 2011 Emaline Lapinski rated it it was ok
A bit too short for my liking, but a good book
Kathy
Jan 16, 2017 Kathy rated it it was amazing
Loved this series!
June (Kallandra)
Dec 28, 2014 June (Kallandra) rated it did not like it
Bland and predictable.. not really much worth mentioning.
  • Prince of Swords (Children of the Sun, #3)
  • Surrender to a Stranger
  • The Maiden and the Unicorn
  • The Stolen Bride (deWarenne Dynasty, #6)
  • The Cursed One (Wild Wulfs of London, #3)
  • Midnight Masquerade (Louisiana #6)
  • Seducing the Spy (Royal Four, #4)
  • Even In Darkness (Between, #3)
  • Alinor (The Roselynde Chronicles, #2)
  • Castle of the Wolf
  • The Protector (Medieval #5)
  • The Bequest
  • De erfenis van Richard Grenville (De verborgen universiteit, #1)
  • The Dead Travel Fast
  • Lovers and Ladies (Lovers and Ladies, #5&6)
  • The Very Thought of You (MacLeod, #2; de Piaget/MacLeod, #4)
  • The Music of the Night (Night, #2)
22042
Born Susan Carol Cute in 1952, Susan Coppula obtained a Degree in English with complementary studies in History in the University of Indiana. Since 1986, Susan has published books under three different pseudonyms: Susan Carroll, Susan Coppula, and Serena Richards

More about Susan Carroll...

St. Leger (3 books)
  • The Bride Finder (St. Leger, #1)
  • Midnight Bride (St. Leger, #3)