Start by marking “The Crown Rose” as Want to Read:
The Crown Rose

The Crown Rose

3.68  ·  Rating details ·  152 Ratings  ·  36 Reviews
The Crown Rose tells the story of Isabelle of France, born heir to the throne: her life from childhood to her later years; a life of turmoil and strife and longing....

The year is 1240. It is the reign of King Louis IX. Knighthood is still honored, though the traditions are beginning to fade. This will be the last generation of knights as we understand them. It is a time o
Published May 5th 2005 by Pyr

To ask other readers questions about The Crown Rose, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Crown Rose

Doris
Aug 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: history addicts, history students and religious fiction readers
(Note - this is a really long review!)

This historical fantasy takes documented and accepted figures from history (King Louis the IX, his mother, Regent and Queen Mother Blanche, his sister Princess Isabelle) and places them in a setting that attempts to explain some of the actions and the wars that took place during the reign of King Louis IX, and the canonization and later sainthood of both Louis and Isabelle. Using recorded and respected historical sources, Ms Avery writes about what could hav
Kat  Hooper
Mar 31, 2009 rated it it was ok
ORIGINALLY POSTED AT Fantasy Literature.

Fiona Avery’s The Crown Rose is a historical fantasy — it places real historical figures in a real historical setting but it includes fantastic elements (magic, sorcery, etc.). In this novel, we follow the story of Princess Isabelle, Queen Mother Blanche, King Louis, Prince Robert, and Prince Charles in 13th century France. The royals are protected and advised by the Order of the Rose, a mysterious trio of women with supernatural powers and unknown origins
Briansmom
Mar 14, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: france
Jun 30, 2012 rated it it was ok
A Medieval Tale of Royalty, Religion, and War in “The Crown Rose”
“The Crown Rose” by Fiona Avery is a medieval tale that rests on a solid foundation of research. Avery explores the stories behind Isabelle and King Louis, brother and sister who were both canonized as saints by the Catholic Church. Set circa 1244 in Paris and environs, Isabelle deals with finding her life mission while Louis, already king at a young age, fends off an English invasion and recovers holy relics.
Amid the historical c
liz
May 20, 2007 rated it really liked it
I think it's worth mentioning that I finished this novel in three days, even though it's almost twice as long as other novels that took me three times as long. It's a historical novel set in France in the 1230s (I think Louis X was king?), and centers around Isabelle, sister to the king and only daughter of the Queen Mother. She's an intellectual searching for answers, who is completely fascinated by the three sisters who make up the Order of the Rose, who guard over the royal family. The charac ...more
Feb 25, 2010 rated it it was amazing
A medieval historical fiction book set in France. It would be great as a supplement to a midieval unit historical fiction is for someone who is patient with the story length. It takes place in the court of Louis IX with the young Princess Isabelle as the protagonist. It focuses on the royals, the role religion played in the lives of the people of the day, the Catholic Church, the Templers and other mysteries of faith. Fiona Avery uses historical events and sprinkles in famous people who play min ...more
Nancy
Sep 15, 2008 rated it liked it
Avery tells the imagined story of Isabelle of France (1225-1270), younger sister of King Louis the IX. Isabelle (and Louis) were both canonized as Saints after their deaths, and Avery explores the possible reasons for Isabelle's canonization. While Avery presents historical fact in many ways, she also explores mystical religiosity in the form of religious relics, the existence of the Knights Templar, and departing even more into speculation, delves into the beliefs that Jesus and Mary Magdalene ...more
Carrie Adair
Dec 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I loved reading this. I didn’t want to put the book down. It was different to see that a princess become a nun, which I liked. The Order of the Rose and Jean were a real mystery to me. I liked the romance I read about Isabelle and Jean even though they never even so much as kissed. They were only destined to love each other and never get married. I also like that Louis' growth.

Throughout most of the book, I wanted to smack Pierre. About halfway through, I was ready to kill him. He is truly the c
Colleen
Nov 24, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I've read this book twice and liked it more the second time around. That's something since I'd rated it a 4 the first time!

A historical fiction book with one particularly intriguing character. And easy read, which is refreshing for historical fiction. I often find historical fiction being bogged down in "the language of the times". I get it! It's France. They have accents. They speak French. They use language long past. I don't need that front and center in order to enjoy the book or find Fiona
Annie Galloza
Jun 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
I could not have said it better than the Midwest Review: "Take French medieval history, blend in a healthy dose of fantasy, and then trace the life of one Isabelle of France, born heir to the throne in 1240 and facing an unusual, changed destiny from a man who may be more than an ordinary mortal and you have The Crown Rose, a rich fantasy with a plot woven around actual events, blending elements of the real and fantasy. Over a year was spent researching the period - and it shows in a rich, detai ...more
Susie
Mar 15, 2009 rated it liked it
I really enjoyed the historical aspect of this book. It also helped me see how Christians viewed sacred relics. Gave me a better understanding of how all that could come about (although that part isn't necessarily historical). The ending was fun, but the reason I put this on a fantasy bookshelf. Some Christians might take offense at the ending.

Overall a good and satisfying read that helped me learn more about medieval times.
Marysia
Aug 08, 2008 rated it it was ok
I thought this book had an interesting premise and a well-described setting, but I had trouble getting through it. I thought the writing wandered a bit too much. A lot happens and it feels unfocused. Also, I found the eventual "twist" about Jean and the Sisters to be a bit much. I guess I was hoping for a more historical book that didn't take quite so many liberties. I'm glad I checked it out from the library rather than buying it.
Vivian Blair
Jul 13, 2011 rated it it was ok
Fiona Avery has been a screenwriter for Hollywood (Babylon 5)and a comic book writer (Spiderman, X-Men, Tomb Raider), so I expected a bit more action from this book. It is a take on what happened to Mary Magdalene--and her offspring, through the lens of Isabelle, a princess and heir to the throne of France in the 13th Century. Avery draws on actual events of the time to create an interesting mix of history and fantasy.
Justina
Nov 13, 2008 rated it liked it
I thought that this book started really really slow. It took me a long time to get into it, but since I didn't have anything else to read I trudged on. It did pick up, but like Dawn said it could bug you if you read it literally. It was a little weird, and had a some sexual references. Hence the 3 star.
Allie Cross
Jan 25, 2012 rated it liked it
It wasn't a bad book, but I really don't feel that it was more than a children's novel with some weird sex scenes. The writing is very simplistic.

Some of the things the princess is allowed to do confuse me. What mother lets her child go off into the woods with a strange man for a week without being concerned?
Tamara
Jan 14, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2008
pretty good alternate-Christian story. Another of those "Mary Magdalene and Jesus were married and had kids" stories, though that isn't really clear until 1/2 or 2/3 of the way through. Although I don't think Jesus' children would be immortal, or nearly so, as they seem to be in this story. A nice take on a fictional biography of Princess Isabella of France in the 13th century.
Kat
Jul 28, 2007 rated it did not like it
Started this, but didn't make it very far before abandoning it. Seemed like it would be good enough, and it had a couple of very nice reviews on the back, but no. Too much license with the historical people for my comfort. And written in a very modern voice.
Amy DeMordaunt
Jul 27, 2009 rated it liked it
Aili
Aug 04, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: historical
If you liked Da Vinci Code you'll probably like this book. I don't really like speculative historical fiction, but I didn't have any problems with the writer or storyline. Just not my cup of tea I guess.
Mel
Oct 02, 2016 rated it it was ok
Took a long time to get through this one. Possible reasons: slow pace of the story, poor connection to main character, lots of hops between thoughts. Would save for older children due to heavy emphasis on history, french language, and several short sexual scenes.
Kellirina
Aug 12, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Definitely one of the better books I've read recently. A pleasant enough read; a classic courtly-love-esque story with a fabulous (and controversial?) twist at the end that left me speechless for a good few minutes after finishing the book. An easy read and a great story, in my opinion.
Joyce
May 17, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This book leaves you in awe. Both Isabelle and King Louis are good, gentle people and leaders. Three sisters enter the book, as well as a disquieting man. Are the women angels??? Is the man sent from God or is he God himself? Fabulous book.
Tiffany
Jul 06, 2009 rated it liked it
Maybe not quite a 4 star but definitely closer to 4 than 3! Intriguing take on possible children of _____. Sorry, don't want to give it away!
Stacy Renee  (LazyDayLit)
I love historical fiction becuase I actually learn as I read!
Bella
Nov 25, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Loved the intrigue, the romance and Isabella's determination once she discovered her heart's desire.
Dawn
Nov 11, 2008 rated it really liked it
I liked this book - it kept me guessing all the way through it. If you took it too literally, it could bug you, but as clean reading material that's interesting, I thought it was good.
Laurie
Sep 17, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Well researched book about St Isabel of Spain 1345 A.D. Many characters in this book were real.
Melanie Davis
Apr 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
this book was amazing,loved this story about princess issabele had fact and fiction was a great love story,I recomemd this book to those with imagination and a need for a good ending!
Barbara Keune
Jun 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Isabeela , Daughter of Queen Blanche and King Louis VIII Brother King Louis IX of France, 12th- 13th Century I fell in Love with Isabeela,
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Queen of Swords
  • The Sun King Conspiracy
  • Defiance of the Patriots
  • 98 Reasons for Being
  • A Princess of Roumania (Princess of Roumania, #1)
  • Serafina's Stories
  • Crossing the Line (Border Town, #1)
  • North by Night: A Story of the Underground Railroad
  • Godiva
  • The Hostage Queen (Marguerite de Valois #1)
  • Nectar from a Stone: A Novel
  • Gilliane (The Roselynde Chronicles, #4)
  • Living Up The Street

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• These Vicious Masks
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Hundredth Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Cruel Beauty (Cruel Beauty Universe, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Once Dead (The Rho Agenda Inception #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Door Within (The Door Within, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Harmony Black (Harmony Black, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Cloud Atlas
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Galápagos
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Thirteen
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Perfected (Perfected #1)
    $5.99 $0.99
  • Unspoken (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, # 2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Mark of Fire (The Endarian Prophecy #1)
  • Nova
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Tales of the Hidden World
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Star (The Collected Stories of Arthur C. Clarke, #3)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Season of Fire (The Remnants, #2)