Start by marking “How to Make a Journal of Your Life” as Want to Read:
How to Make a Journal of Your Life

How to Make a Journal of Your Life

4.02  ·  Rating details ·  2,049 Ratings  ·  56 Reviews
When nomad artist and free spirit Dan Price began jotting down his musings in the form of whimsical drawings and inspired prose, he hardly could have imagined that his self-published journal-zine, the MOONLIGHT CHRONICLES, would earn him a cult following across the country. Now in its twentieth edition, the MOONLIGHT CHRONICLES has brought Dan's creed of "truth, beauty, an ...more
Published September 1st 1999 by Ten Speed Press (first published August 1999)

To ask other readers questions about How to Make a Journal of Your Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Make a Journal of Your Life

Daniela
Dec 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, writing
A tiny, inspirational book about keeping a diary including the art of writing, sketching, collage and photography. I especially enjoyed the chapter about photography since this is a topic rarely mentioned in books about journaling (at least to my knowledge). Since this is only 100 pages and small format, most topics are only briefly touched upon, but it can whet your appetite to learn more about the techniques mentioned.

What I like most about it is that Dan's writing is so laid-back and encourag
Angela
Nov 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I originally picked up this little book at the library book sale to pass this on to my Mom-in-law, who does keep a journal, mostly of little paintings. but as I started to peruse this little book, I decided to read it first, and THEN pass it on to her. I have kept a diary on and off since I was 4? maybe. I remember mom used to put down what I did in a day book (it was a cool diary that had five years in one book -- I may try to find another like it.) -- Anyway, I would like to start doing so aga ...more
Kate  Maxwell
What a neat, little book on journaling. And not just journaling...but documenting life around you. First, write about whatever, but more importantly, ADD to the journal, with drawing, photos, snippets and pieces found around you. There is a small portion on taking good photos, how to sketch with the right side of your brain, and saving those little mementos from life and add them to your journal with a note. There is even a small piece on making your own journal to fill and how rewarding it is t ...more
Bonnie Burton
Sep 10, 2009 rated it it was amazing
If you've ever thought of starting a journal but didn't know where to begin you have Dan Price to show you the way. His handwritten book on how to write, document, illustrate and doodle a journal is priceless. He makes it look easy and super fun! I suggest you get this book to help get you excited about journaling!
Kelly
Feb 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I have been wanting to start a journal for a very long time and it just always seemed daunting! Dan made it seem so fun and made sure to let the reader know that there is NO WRONG WAY of doing it and to make it fun along the way!
Judy
Nov 07, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: writers
Recommended to Judy by: marne
Shelves: book-making, art
A quick read with some good advice. I rather didn't like his tone with the photography chapter even if he is an expert and all. I don't think it's wise to make fun of someone's choice of subject (ie close ups of flowers). So I knocked off a star. Sorry dude.
Regan
Nov 10, 2017 rated it liked it
It's a cute little book although I'm struggling with Price's, hm, personality? Yeah. He comes off like an oddly entitled hippie. That said, he has some suggestions that are decent, food for thought, but I also sometimes just want to punch him because he's annoying.

So, yeah, mixed feelings. Not likely to recommend, not entirely sad that I read it though.
Will Simpson
Oct 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
If you are considering journaling, then this book is for you. I you are a journaler, like me, who mostly relies on text to chronicle life, then this will open your eyes to new ways. This is written and drawn in a style of journaling that I aspire to.
Edith
Oct 10, 2017 rated it liked it
I attempted to use this book in a class in journal writing I taught at a local psychiatric center, but the class never got into it. However, I enjoyed reading the book.
T.
Mar 07, 2010 rated it liked it
Dan Price gets it. There are so many struggles in really embracing and living a creative life, but sometimes more than the people around me, the only real obstacle is myself. This book is a good reminder of that. I have scribbled all over the margins (only to find out that there are some spaces provided at the end of the book for notes!), and well -- here are some of the things I liked:

"You see, your mind will be saying obnoxious things like this: 1. WHAT MAKES YOU THINK YOU HAVE ANYTHING WORTHW
Phyllis
Jan 07, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: art
I'm an extremely prolific journal writer, but I've frequently used my journals as a place to do a lot of navel gazing, self-pitying, whining, and generally spiritually toxic behavior. One of my goals for 2016 was to have a less neurotic relationship with my journaling (if that's not a real verb then it SHOULD BE), so when this tiny little how to book on journal writing turned up in a bag of donations at the library where I work, it seemed like a really cosmic coincidence.

Overall this book is pr
Greta
May 28, 2010 rated it liked it
I liked this book better the second time around and would give it four stars now. The author gives some good advice for journal-keeping and using drawings and photos and found objects to document your journey through life. The book is all hand-drawn and illustrated and the author was a bit of a nomad who has a zest for life all of which is motivating and contagious. And he lives in Joseph, Oregon which is a great place I spent a lot of summers in when I was a child. Extra points for that.
Stephanie Dalphin
Feb 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
AUTHOR: PRICE, Dan
TITLE: How to Make A Journal of Your Life
DATE READ: 2/06/2011
RATING: 4.0/B
GENRE/PUB DATE/PUBLISHER/# OF Pages: Self Discovery/1999/Ten Speed Press/116 pages
SERIES/STAND ALONE: Stand Alone
TIME/PLACE: N/A
CHARACTERS: N/A
FIRST LINES: Has your intuition been telling you to get an empty journal and begin filling it with all the interesting events of your life? Well, time is racing by.
Comments: Inspiring quick read. Now where is my journal?
Laura Rogers
Oct 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book and it's earlier companion, Moonlight Chronicles, inspired my own journaling experience. Through Dan Prices' encouragement, I began, at age 60, to explore sketching and watercolors. My own experiences with journaling have enhanced my life and Dan's Price humility, sage advice, and example have encouraged my continued growth.
Eli Poteet
Feb 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Simple and inspiring. Overall I'm fairly familiar with a lot of this self identified hobo artists convictions and journaling suggestions. I had been journaling going on a decade so I feel like I am pretty set in my preferred ways but what I appreciated the most was the authors doodling encouragement. I don't doodle enough in my actual journals.
Diva
Feb 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful,lovely, childish book, you will feel that the guy is actually talking to you.
and I realised, a little be amusedly, that I was already doing all those things he was talking about so fascinated!that didn't deduce at all from the pleasure of reading, it was like he was opening up his own personal, creative journal for me to peep in to,and take notes and store up memories.
a must read.
Gabrielle
Aug 17, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: professional
Great little images. I don't think the writing inspired me to do much -- but the voice in the writing is fun, and I appreciate that he includes cookie eating as a reward periodically. Sweet. The "how-to" was thin and ordinary, but the personal stories came through in ways that provide a nice example for other people. I think students would appreciate this even though the writer is an adult.
Brittanie
Sep 20, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: reading-writing
I've been keeping a journal since I was 13 years old. This book is a cute, somewhat useful itty bitty guide to journaling. I especially liked the section on sketching, and others might find the collaging and photography sections helpful, but in all, a little too cutesy and not as in-depth as I would have liked.
Kim
Apr 13, 2009 rated it really liked it
Such a neat little book full of encouragement and inspiration for anyone looking to begin - or continue - journalling. Well designed, full of practical ideas, great illustrations, and lots of good stuff. A great addition to my studio library!!
Jamie
Apr 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: art
This was a wonderfully irreverent and cheeky book about making an illustrated journal of your days and why it's a good thing to do and how to do it. Loved his simple and quirky illustrations sprinkled throughout!
Colleenish
Jan 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: for-fun
This book inspired me to draw, think, look, and commemorate. Some of the ideas that Price advocates I do naturally; Some I don't care to do. Still, it gave me suggestions so that I don't get into a journaling rut.
Tristy
Feb 07, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: art, creativity, how-to, travel
This is a sweet book full of jubilant inspiration and great drawings. Dan Price is like a best friend who is always calling to get you to come on a hike with him and draw. This is a great little book to check in with when you need a little reminder about what is important in life.
Rosemary
Jun 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I teach watercolor journaling and I'm always on the lookout for good books/information that I can share with my students - and use myself. Dan Price's books are always inspiring and filled with good stuff!
Deborah
Jan 19, 2016 rated it liked it
By golly, I am going to start a journal! And draw pictures too! This is a cute book written by a guy who is obsessed with writing his journal. He makes a good case why we should all do this. Write down things you saw. Draw a picture. He has totally convinced me. LOL
Mike
Aug 03, 2013 rated it liked it
This book is mentioned in Danny Gregory's the Creative License, which I can see how Danny was inspired by Dan Price. For me though, having been introduced to Danny's work first, this book seems a bit lack luster to me. Still a fun and quick read though.
Amy
Aug 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: writing, 2013
fun, inspiring book on journaling. It has me desiring to make illustrated pages of my life now.
(The info about photos is a little dated.)
Julie Macaller
Jan 26, 2015 rated it liked it
I liked the encouraging tone throughout and the sections on sketching, photography, and collage. Definitely some good ideas in a whimsical format.
Sharon
Jan 14, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: resource
Fun!
Pamela
Feb 27, 2012 added it
I was recently given a copy by a friend of mine....I wish I'd had it when I was in college, it would have helped so much! I'm only on page 32 but so far it's a delightful little arty book.
Paulette
Aug 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
Really helpful for anyone who wants to journal in a different way. Good suggestions for photography and drawing in your journal.
  • The Decorated Page: Journals, Scrapbooks  Albums Made Simply Beautiful
  • Everyday Matters
  • Living Out Loud: Activities to Fuel a Creative Life
  • 1000 Journals Project
  • Cover to Cover: Creative Techniques for Making Beautiful Books, Journals & Albums
  • The Complete Guide to Altered Imagery: Mixed-Media Techniques for Collage, Altered Books, Artist Journals, and More
  • Visual Chronicles: The No-Fear Guide to Creating Art Journals, Creative Manifestos & Altered Books
  • A Trail Through Leaves: The Journal as a Path to Place
  • Kaleidoscope: Ideas & Projects to Spark Your Creativity
  • Living the Creative Life: Ideas and Inspirations from Working Artists
  • Artist Trading Card Workshop: Create. Collect. Swap.
  • Alphabetica: An A-Z Creativity Guide for Collage and Book Artists
  • Nomad: A Global Approach to Interior Style
  • Messy Thrilling Life: The Art of Figuring Out How to Live
  • 52 Projects: Random Acts of Everyday Creativity (Perigee Book)
  • Make Your Creative Dreams Real: A Plan for Procrastinators, Perfectionists, Busy People, and People Who Would Really Rather Sleep All Day
  • Collage Discovery Workshop: Make Your Own Collage Creations Using Vintage Photos, Found Objects and Ephemera
  • Good Mail Day: A Primer for Making Eye-Popping Postal Art

Nonfiction Deals

• Death by Living: Life Is Meant to Be Spent
    $4.99 $1.99
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Decisive: How to Make Better Choices in Life and Work
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Creativity, Inc.: Overcoming the Unseen Forces That Stand in the Way of True Inspiration
    $14.99 $2.99
  • The Other Wes Moore: One Name, Two Fates
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Bobby Kennedy: The Making of a Liberal Icon
    $12.99 $1.99
  • The Tao of Bill Murray: Real-Life Stories of Joy, Enlightenment, and Party Crashing
    $11.99 $2.99