Start by marking “Black Feminist Thought: Knowledge, Consciousness, and the Politics of Empowerment” as Want to Read:

In spite of the double burden of racial and gender discrimination, African-American women have developed a rich intellectual tradition that is not widely known. In Black Feminist Thought, Patricia Hill Collins explores the words and ideas of Black feminist intellectuals as well as those African-American women outside academe. She provides an interpretive framework for t ...more
Published December 9th 1999 by Routledge (first published 1990)

Start your review of Black Feminist Thought: Knowledge, Consciousness, and the Politics of Empowerment
Rowena
Sep 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sociology, feminism, race
"Race and gender may be analytically distinct, but in Black women’s everyday lives, they work together.” - Patricia Hill Collins, Black Feminist Thought

I find it difficult to summarize books like this, ones which contain such comprehensive content. Although focusing on African-American feminist theory, Collins says the theory can be applied to any black diasporic woman because, “Women of African descent are dispersed globally, yet the issues we face may be similar.”

And reading the co
Zanna
Jul 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Not really a review, more a butterfly-view.

I had a rare flash of brilliance and decided to read the glossary first. This kind of sensible idea rarely occurs to me. I was immediately struck by Collins' definition of

intersectionality: analysis claiming that systems of race, social class, gender, sexuality, ethnicity, nation and age form mutually constructing features of social organisation, which shape Black women's experiences and, in turn, are shaped by Black women

In other words,/>:
Rebecca
Everyone should read this book. I read this for the first time during a women's studies course as an undergrad, but it works so well, as she states, outside of academia. I find her analysis of Black female blues singers as a source of feminist thought especially interesting. Anyone and everyone interested in social justice should read this book. And then read it again.
Veronica
Jan 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: grad-school
What I loved the most about this book is that it is an academic text, but PCH doesn't waste time with jargon. If she uses it, she defines it almost immediately. There is also a glossary in the back of the book. A book that I will use a lot. So happy I was pushed to revisit this text.
Aubrey
4.5/5
In my own work I write no only what I want to read—understanding fully and indelibly that if I don't do it no one else is so vitally interested, or capable of doing it to my satisfaction—I write all the things I should have been able to read[.]

-Alice Walker

[I]t is axiomatic that if we do not define ourselves for ourselves, we will be defined by others—for their use and to our detriment[.]

-Audre Lorde
It's been good to get back into theory after so long a drought. My eagerne4.5/5
Tifanny Burks
Jul 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another book where I am not the same person at the end that I was at the beginning.

This book was healing to read. I feel seen. This book is another thank you to black women who give me expansive language to articulate my lived experiences under multiple forms of oppression.

I am thankful for now revisiting this book 3 years later with a different lens of being a community organizer.

The best part about this book 📖 is that it joins the league of books written by other black feminist scholars tha
BMR, LCSW
Mar 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Took a long time for me to finish this book, as it is very much a textbook...and I've been out of grad school for a few years now. The most recent edition isn't available at my library, so I read this 2nd Ed. I may still seek out the newer edition.

Recommended for anyone interested in feminist theories, political thought, and human rights
Ruth
This book creates an argument about the particular experiences of groups of people and overarching theories of knowledge. It says that if a group of people, in this case US Black women, is consistently ruled untrustworthy or unknowledgeable, a major epistemological shift is required to get other groups of people to hear their testimony and expertise. This is something I've been thinking about a lot. I felt validated seeing this idea spelled out so beautifully and clearly by an African American s ...more
Tameika
Mar 07, 2008 rated it really liked it
She offers an explored analysis of the intersections of race, gender, sexuality and class as well as its practical applications. She discuss self-identification, the politics of self empowerment, how woman are essential elements in nationalist thinking and etc. I do wish she discussed the politics of sexuality a bit more.
Allison
Oct 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book blew my mind. One of the most impressive parts of it is P.H.C.'s command of black women's history in the U.S. It's so exciting to read about women who have produced "black feminist thought" in the U.S. through writing, music, and oral history since early 1800s, and before.
Linda Le
Oct 12, 2010 rated it it was amazing
if u claim that u're an ally/progressive advocate of feminism, then do urself a favor & read this
Victoria
Apr 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
This author says in the intro "I'm going to say this in the most basic language possible so it's very accessible." This was not true lol. But it was still good and thought-provoking and a great synthesis of a lot of seemingly disparate work into one big thing. Pretty cool.
Rosemari
May 22, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorite-books
This book was my guiding light while working on my thesis, "Deconstructing Auth Jemima." Patricia Hill Collins is underread and underrated. I want to sit at her feet. It remains an important reference book.
Sarah Hackley
Sep 22, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Sarah by: BLS 3024
While I enjoyed her theories, her writing style is unnecessarily obtuse and repetitive.
Benjamin
I especially like when Collins uses non-academic statements from black women talking about their own direct experiences to illustrate her points. I found myself quoting some of that in my day to day conversations with people.

There were a couple of moments where I was like, "Is it weird to be a white dude reading this?" But I think, even though there are sadly very few black women in my environment right now, that it is all somehow extremely relevant. Collins makes the point a few tim
Aliya Jabbar
Apr 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is the comprehensive, engaging handbook on black feminism that I'd always hoped to find. PHC harbors a deep disdain for the predominance of the kind of scholarship that is impersonal and abstract, and in Black Feminist Thought, she broadly explores and theorizes while peppering her essays with personal anecdotes and extracts from the literary, artistic and academic works of other black women.

The result is a well-organized, deeply insightful collection of essays with plenty of new argu
Victoria
Jul 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017-to-read
Unfortunately I wasn't able to finish the book yet (due back at the library) but I can speak to what I read so far. This is an important read for feminist theorists, and feminists in general. As a white woman, this book was especially enlightening, though I want to stress that I am not the target audience, either. My main criticism is the redundancy and length; I think this work would have benefited from some word trimming and condensing, as I often struggled to remain focused and/or found mysel ...more
Dwight Davis
Jun 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an incredibly helpful book. Collins makes a few constructive arguments, but for the most part offers an overview of the major themes in black feminist thought, offering a repository and guidebook to those new to the discipline.
Filipa
Apr 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
to buy in physical form and re-read
Absolutely brilliant. Longer review to come.
Henry Cooksley
May 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites
If the kinds of things you are interested in include e.g. sociology, social epistemology, intersectionality, compassionate politics... I would strongly suggest that you read this. I was looking forward to reading this for a number of years, and I'm pleased to say that it more than lived up to my expectations. Collins has a great skill in taking a complex topic and treating it with the distant, subject-object style you might find in any other social science textbook. Having said that, the compass ...more
Tasha
Feb 24, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I had the privilege of being one of Dr. Collin's students at the University of Cincinnati. I learned so much from this woman and her gender study class. She along with some other great writers such a Bell Hooks and others helped me shape my own definition of what it means to be a black woman in America.
Lucas
Jul 25, 2007 rated it really liked it
I really like Patricia Hill Collins and this is no exception, though I found much of what she filed under "Black feminism" really applied to feminism writ large. Still, it's an important work and very readable.
Summer
Jan 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Really touches on the intricacies of black female identity.
Oren Whightsel
Jun 27, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: theory
patricia hill collins is one of the most important voices in feminism. this book is a must read...especially the 10th anniv. ed. because she updates her research and further develops her arguments.
mis fit
Sep 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Finally got around to reading this all the way through. It is awesome. Duh.
Marilyn Diamond
I've loved her work since Women Studies classes
Roberta Villalon
Mar 12, 2010 rated it it was amazing
thank you pat for writing this and changing the world!
Mike
Mar 15, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Flashback to August, 1995. The book that changed my life during the first year of college.
Andrea
Mar 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book, the way it battles to discover what is unique to black women's voices and experiences, and how they can empower, aid in resistance, and form part of the larger coalition that is needed to create a more just world.

I've pulled out her own basic summary of what she wants this book to do and be, because it highlights what is missing from much other work, and because it is ambitious and beautiful and she almost does it all:
First, I was committed to making this book intellectually
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• An Autobiography
  • Colonize This!: Young Women of Color on Today's Feminism
  • Sister Outsider: Essays and Speeches
  • Assata: An Autobiography
  • But Some Of Us Are Brave: All the Women Are White, All the Blacks Are Men: Black Women's Studies
  • In Search of Our Mothers' Gardens: Womanist Prose
  • Sister Citizen: Shame, Stereotypes, and Black Women in America
  • When and Where I Enter: The Impact of Black Women on Race and Sex in America
  • Words of Fire: An Anthology of African-American Feminist Thought
  • Playing in the Dark: Whiteness and the Literary Imagination
Patricia Hill Collins (born May 1, 1948) is currently a Distinguished University Professor of Sociology at the University of Maryland, College Park. She is also the former head of the Department of African American Studies at the University of Cincinnati, and the past President of the American Sociological Association Council.

Collins' work primarily concerns issues involving feminism a
“One key reason that standpoints of oppressed groups are suppressed is that self-defined standpoints can stimulate resistance.” 0 likes
“Black feminist thought can create a collective identity among African-American women about the dimensions of a Black women's standpoint. Through the process of rearticulation, Black feminist thought can offer African-American women a different view of ourselves and our worlds. By taking the core themes of a Black women's standpoint and infusing them with new meaning, Black feminist thought can stimulate a new consciousness that utilizes Back women's everyday, taken-for-granted knowledge. Rather than raising consciousness, Black feminist thought affirms, rearticulates, and provides a vehicle for expressing in public a consciousness that quite often already exists. More important, this rearticulated consciousness aims to empower African-American women and stimulate resistance.” 0 likes