Start by marking “Özgür ve Bedava - İnternet Çağında Bilgi” as Want to Read:
Özgür ve Bedava - İnternet Çağında Bilgi

Özgür ve Bedava - İnternet Çağında Bilgi

Günümüzde bir sanatçının geçimini yapıtlarıyla sağlaması mümkün mü? İnternet her türlü yaratıcı ürünü bu derece ulaşılabilir ve ücretsiz hale getirmişken sanattan maddi bir karşılık beklemek gerçekçi mi? Telif hakları, internet çağında önemini ne kadar koruyor?
Cory Doctorow, "Özgür ve Bedava"da telif haklarının yaşadığı değişime, sektörel kurnazlıklara ve internetin
Published June 7th 2017 by Koç University Press (first published November 18th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Özgür ve Bedava - İnternet Çağında Bilgi, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Özgür ve Bedava - İnternet Çağında Bilgi

Start your review of Özgür ve Bedava - İnternet Çağında Bilgi
Kevin Kelsey
Apr 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Humanity
Posted at Heradas

Doctorow expertly breaks down and illustrates just how much we lose societally by allowing intermediaries to stipulate things entirely outside of their business through lobbying and extortion of all parties involved. Its a fascinating, multi-faceted deep examination of digital rights, copyright, piracy, net neutrality, and the human tendency toward protecting our own interests at the detriment of everyone else (including, unbeknownst to us, ourselves).

At first it made me angry,
Andrew
Nov 23, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cory Doctorow's "Information Doesn't Want to be Free" aims to be a 2014 successor to Lawrence Lessig's "Free Culture", both authors writing about how modern copyright law restricts artistic expression and how art and copyright should function within the context of the Internet. Where Lessig's expertise shows in his book's policy analysis, Doctorow's comes from his personal experience as a writer navigating new mediums and distribution channels.

The book starts off strong, first laying out the
Thom
Jul 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Short title, quickly read. Has some very good points (Copyright is really something that is designed to bind corporations) and some good ideas (a blanket license scheme payable by ISPs / users). Has digressions (Net Neutrality) that I believe take away from the message. Finally, has a pretty decent forwards and an epilogue summing things up.

Read the audio book (Wil Wheaton) checked out from the library, and I was a bit irritated with the loud noises between section breaks. Reading the book in
Jeffrey
Dec 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
An eye opening, thought provoking book length essay on copyright, the internet, and making a living in the creative arts today. I feel like I finally understand the issues around how creators should think about the internet, free use, copyright, DRM. A must read for anyone seriously considering a career in the arts during the internet age.
Kevin
Aug 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think this is a book that everyone should read, but creative people such as authors, musicians, ect must read this book.
Dirk
Sep 14, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Despite its lively style, this book is oppressive. It has several threads, but it mainly explores the dismal consequences of the entertainment industry trying to impose copyright on the World Wide Web and on the world of digital communication generally.

Doctorow favors copyright in principle and supports strategies that would allow creators and the entertainment industry to make a reasonable amount of money but he is hostile to strategies that make information flow more difficult, more
Chinook
Jun 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
That was excellent - interesting and engaging. I listened to the entire thing in two big chunks and never got bored or sleepy (in spite of the fact that I'm basically perma-tired.) I think everyone should read this, it's hugely important and it's a very easily understood look at the issue of access and copyright.
Clint
Mar 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
I read this on a whim because one of my best friends was reading it, and he has a way of always getting me into something I'll later think is badass. Holy crap this book was the shit! The internet in general and copyright are not things I ever find myself thinking about, so I went into this book a blank slate and came out with all kinds of neat thoughts and opinions about these things, which are a lot more important than I thought they were.

This book tends to focus on art and how it has to be
Tim
Mar 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is an integral read foreveryone. I can't believe it took me so long to read it. ...more
George
Feb 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
When I first saw the title I thought that the book was written by someone defending the bad practices of copyright holders, that was until I noticed that it was written by Cory Doctorow. This book like other nonfiction books by Cory Doctorow is a collection of essays on topics of copyright, technology and human, or better put consumer rights. If you enjoyed his other works or would like to learn more about the mess that is the current copyright system you will enjoy this book. He explained the ...more
Donna
Aug 15, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
What a fascinating read regarding our digital world. This was geared around copyrights and all those who are affected by that. It doesn't sound like rules and regulations have caught up to the modern world. Rights need to be protected, but the digital world cannot be ignored if you want to get your product out to those who are in demand of said product.

Bart Carter
Aug 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Everyone should read this. This one is a bit of an echo chamber to me, but Doctorow puts many of the confusing issues on the web (net neutrality, copyright, DRM) in more relateable terms. It's a great book.
Gordon
Mar 19, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cory Doctorow is a Canadian-British novelist, prolific blogger and an activist crusading for reducing barriers to artists (authors, musicians, etc) getting their content in the hands of their audiences. In particular the barriers are those put up by intermediaries of various kinds -- Amazon, Apple, Sony, Universal Music, etc. -- in cahoots with governments providing the legal and contract enforcement framework. These barriers are everything from digital rights management, censorship, taking an ...more
Ross Blocher
Mar 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Information Doesn't Want to Be Free is essential reading for content creators in the Internet age, especially those hoping to earn a living doing what they love. Doctorow is a gifted explainer, unpacking concepts like copyright law, net neutrality, fair use, digital locks, DRM, encryption, licensing, piracy, and rootkits. He provides historical context and real-world analogies to make the abstract readily understandable.

The stakes are high, and the power that we allow publishers and
Vylūnė
Nov 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Informative and fun and educational if you dont mind the tone and enthusiasm and jokes of a keynote speakers follow-up whos eager to prove their capability of delivering the key speech next year.

Great read if you want to learn:
* How copyright works and how it changed during the last century esp because of the internet and how its evolving;
* What was pipa/sopa/acta about and how it affects you;
* Why your frustration over i paid for CD how come mp3 of that CD are illegal to keep is completely
Clara Biesel
Jun 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a little ranty, and superior sounding at times, but also inspiring and thought provoking. Doctorow asks extremely important questions about the computers to which we trust our lives, and who the laws surrounding copyright are intended to protect. The intros from Neil Gaiman and Amanda Palmer are a bonus.
Kent Beck
Feb 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely required reading for creators--writers, artists, musicians, programmers, designers. The rules of the game are changing. This book presents the change with great, sometimes brutal, clarity. I still don't know what to do about the new rules, but I have many new ways to think about them. Thank you, Cory.
Dar
Apr 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Actually fun to read! The most clear explanation of digital copyright I've seen (and I read most new info on copyright and DRM). The author has strong opinions but most readers would agree - otherwise they wouldn't have chosen to read it. If you are not sure where you stand on copying music, movies and e-books; or if you want to be able to explain and defend your choice, give this a try!
Arunkrishnan
Dec 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The author's take on how outdated copyright laws are being used by lobbyists of big corporations to maximize their profits can undermine our most basic human rights, namely freedom of expression and freedom of speech, is profound.
uosɯɐS
"I'm not anti-regulation. But we need to decide what kind of regulation we want. The Internet can have rules that encourage centralization rules permitting network discrimination, rules protecting digital rights management, rules providing for easy takedown and, with them, rent- seeking, abusive sharecropping, spying, and censorship. Or it can have rules that promote an open, pluralistic, networked public space where anyone can communicate; rules that encourage disclosure of security ...more
Songhua
Jul 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a fascinating read for me as it challenged my thoughts on piracy. I recall in my school days (which was about 10 years ago) when I had done a Project Work on piracy, but my position was the typical conservative one - that piracy is bad and it is going to kill the creative industry. This book made me realise that my analysis back then was too simplistic (it scored an A anyway because probably our teacher likes students to stick to safe and conservative arguments) and that there were more ...more
Tatiana
Sep 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
'... not savable, not reinstatable, not resuscitatable'

'Every pirate wants to be an admiral'

There were a lot of powerful words and ideas that came out of this book, and a lot of important criticism of the current system of media distribution and copyrighting. He addresses the unsustainable nature of the media industry in light of the internet, and also how we don't necessarily need it to work because creators will always find a way, and fans will always look for a way to compensate and support
Andrea Hickman Walker
This has taken me a long time to get through for the simple reason that I had to keep putting it down. The book is well-written, and engaging, but the content is infuriating and rage-inducing. I believe in copyright laws, yes, but I also believe in the public domain, in the creative commons, and in piracy. Surveillance and punitive laws do not stop criminal activity. Making the legal routes easier and cheaper than the illegal ones is the only way to prevent piracy. Copying is easy, and will only ...more
Răzvan Molea
Artists need to worry about fame before they worry about fortune. Recognition is one of many necessary preconditions for artistic success: luck, talent, and an indefatigable drive to succeed that lasts through the years and years it takes to get noticed, build a following, or get onto the radar of an important promoter, gatekeeper, or investor are a few of the others. So, yeah, being famous wontin itselfmake you rich. But if nobody knows about your work, nobodys going to buy it. ...more
Mykal Lefevre
Jun 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I listened to the audiobook as read by Wil Wheaton. This is a great book if you are interested in net neutrality and privacy. It is an even better book if your interested in the numerous ways an person can share and receive creative works. It is a discussion on how a few companies have shaped the landscape copyrights and the internet, and the eternal struggle between corporations and the people for access to information.
Keith Swenson
Mar 14, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There is no question that all business around media has gone from an economy of scarcity to an economy of abundance. Music, news, novels, video, entertainment, whatever can be digitized can be copied and distributed at zero cost. That has GOT to change the world.

But here we are, mired in laws formed 50, 100, or 200 years ago that could never have forseen the possibility that it would be so easy to retrieve the contents of a book from the other side of a world would be so easy that it is not even
Robert
Oct 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: x2017-18-season
Breaking down complex and obscure policy arguments into something understandable and interesting is a rare skill, and Doctorow has it. while the information is occasionally repetitious and the layout can be distracting, the underlying concepts and arguments are clear. to sum up in seven words: Freedom good, laws good, rent-seeking middlemen bad.
Melissa
Jul 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: libraries, nonfiction
Very good information that makes me both hopeful and despair.
Torina
May 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book challenged my thinking on the relationship between art and copyright. It actually gave me a lot of ideas, though indirectly, on how I hope to proceed with a book I've written.
Max
Oct 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-audiobook
Go read this now. This book is bursting with thought provoking ideas and metaphors about copyright without a single boring page.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »

• The Happiest Days of Our Lives
  • The Assassination Complex: Inside the Government's Secret Drone Warfare Program
  • Hacker, Hoaxer, Whistleblower, Spy: The Many Faces of Anonymous
  • The Grasshopper: Games, Life and Utopia
  • A Walking Life: Reclaiming Our Health and Our Freedom One Step at a Time
  • Big Business: A Love Letter to an American Anti-Hero
  • How To: Absurd Scientific Advice for Common Real-World Problems
  • Terminus (Threshold, #4)
  • Auguries of Summer
  • Dancing Barefoot
  • Leather and Tea in London
  • Gingerbread Dreams
  • Peaches and the Shadow
Cory Doctorow is a science fiction author, activist, journalist and blogger the co-editor of Boing Boing and the author of the YA graphic novel In Real Life, the nonfiction business book Information Doesnt Want To Be Free, and young adult novels like Homeland, Pirate Cinema, and Little Brother and novels for adults like Rapture Of The Nerds and Makers. He is a Fellow for the Electronic ...more