Start by marking “The Chalk Man” as Want to Read:
The Chalk Man

The Chalk Man

3.72  ·  Rating details ·  67,864 ratings  ·  9,208 reviews
In 1986, Eddie and his friends are just kids on the verge of adolescence. They spend their days biking around their sleepy English village and looking for any taste of excitement they can get. The chalk men are their secret code: little chalk stick figures they leave for one another as messages only they can understand. But then a mysterious chalk man leads them right to a ...more
Published January 9th 2018 by Crown Publishing Group (NY)

To ask other readers questions about The Chalk Man, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Eden
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Lindsay Boseman No, I would not recommend this for a teenager. The subject matter is very adult. There are instances of molestation, rape, and dismemberment.

·  67,864 ratings  ·  9,208 reviews

Start your review of The Chalk Man
Chelsea Humphrey
Sep 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Chelsea by: Crime by the Book
Shelves: favorites
I haven't felt this sure of a book's worthiness to be read since I picked up The Dry by Jane Harper back in January. I'll admit, I find myself enjoying a majority of the books that I read; I don't know if I'm just not as picky as other readers or if, after so many years of reading, I generally can tell what will tickle my fancy. That said, there are the books you enjoy, and then there are THOSE books. You know the ones I mean; the unicorns, the diamonds in the rough, the ones you'll be shoving i ...more
Emily May
Feb 01, 2018 rated it it was ok
2 1/2 stars. This book was okay, but maybe it was grossly over-hyped because I really expected it to be more gripping than it actually was. It's one of the buzziest books of 2018, it's set in small town England (home!), and yet it was so fricking slow.

I've just recently read Harper's Force of Nature and I'm currently starting Anatomy of a Scandal and both of these books are just way more engrossing and thrilling than The Chalk Man. It felt like one of those books where there's a premise and, aft
Deanna
Dec 14, 2017 rated it liked it
My reviews can also be seen at: https://deesradreadsandreviews.wordpress.com/

3.5 Stars

After hearing so many great things about “The Chalk Man” I decided I had to read it. This book was very hyped up and I hoped I wasn’t expecting too much. I went into it with an open mind and hoped for the best.

The book has a rather morbid opening, a gruesome discovery in the woods. I was immediately intrigued.

1986 - Eddie and his friends always met up on Saturday but THIS Saturday was different …the FAIR was in
Elyse  Walters
NO SPOILERS.... NONE.... NOT EVEN TINY ONES!

If more mystery suspense books were written like this one -- I’d read them more often than I do!!!!!

ABSOLUTE FAVORITE MYSTERY SUSPENSE novel I’ve read all year!!!!!

There is something that feels very different about this book - than other mystery thrillers I’ve read. Wholesome and creepy! Warmth with gore? How is it possible?
At times the storytelling is humorous - clever - and charming - other times - my goodness I was shaking my head....( as in YUCK,
Maureen
Aug 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fear of a name increases fear of the thing itself.”
― J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

I know it's unusual to start a review by talking about the end of a book, but oh boy what an excellent ending that was!

12 year old Eddie Adams and his friends are like any other group of twelve year olds, carefree summer days messing about as kids do, until the day the fair visits the village of Anderbury. A Waltzer carriage breaks away at great speed and careens into the crowd, causing life
Crumb
Jan 14, 2018 rated it it was ok
Scenario One:
When you meet the gorgeous, charismatic, husband type..

Sometimes when you go on a first date, there is an instant connection and you know that this is it. I've found the one. Maybe he took you to a play, or just a really nice dinner. But in all honesty, location doesn’t matter. He may have pulled out your chair, opened your car door, and took off your coat. By the end of the evening, you were trying to think of ways to prolong the date, you didn't want to go home. You were also hop
Susanne  Strong
5 Stars.

Now This is How You do It!!

C.J. Tudor has written One of the Best Thrillers of the YEAR my friends.  If there is one mystery you decide to pick up - it should be this one!!

Reminiscent of Stephen King’s The Body - known to most people as the movie Stand By Me - “The Chalk Man” is a story about 5 young friends: (four boys and a girl), who go through an experience at the cusp of adolescence, something fierce and terrifying. Something that haunts them for the rest of their lives.

As kids in 1
Paromjit
Nov 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
For a debut novel this is astoundingly good, and it has the feel of a classic novel. It expertly moves between two timelines, events that occurred in 1986 to the present. Set in the small town of Anderbury, 4 friends, Eddie 'Munster' Adams, Fat Gav, Metal Mickey, Hoppo and Nicky are 12 years old, whiling away the summer holidays getting into mischief on their bikes, having fun, evolving secret communications through chalk men symbols and in search of excitement and adventure. A series of mishaps ...more
Melissa

Before I could even finish The Hiding PlaceC.J. Tudor’s sophomore offering—I resigned myself to the fact that The Chalk Man would end up in my hands sooner rather than later. What can I say, the foreboding tone of that storyline and deliciously dark happenings piqued my curiosity. What else was this author capable of?

It’s highly unusual for me to pick up a second of an author’s books in such close pr
Lala BooksandLala
Apr 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: thriller-mystery
So I picked this book up for a video. Last year it was nominated for a Goodreads choice award, and my video involved reading all the finalists in the mystery/thriller category. The Chalk Man ended up not making it that far, so I tossed it in the black hole that is my TBR closet, never really intending to read it. Fast forward 5 months, with so many of you pushing me to give it a try- and guess what? You were right. This is one of my favourite mystery books I've read this year so shout out to all ...more
Kaceey
Feb 03, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It appears I’m in the minority on this one.
But as hard as I tried, I just couldn’t connect with this book. I’d been excited about its debut for months. Finally, at time of release I was first in line! If only the book lived up to my anticipation. Sorry to say, it didn’t.

Very reminiscent of Stand by Me, a coming-of-age themed book based around a group of 12 year-old boys. And in this case, their one female friend. Told through present and past timelines.

I kept waiting for a storyline that would
j e w e l s
Oct 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-bejeweled
REASONS TO LOVE:

the title
the author's bio
the author's acknowledgments at end of book
that perfect cover
suspenseful, addictive, spooky story
a combination of STRANGER THINGS (Netflix series) and STAND BY ME (80's movie)

The only reason I couldn't give all the stars to this very fun book is due to too many co-winky dinks towards the big reveal at the end. A bit too implausible.

I love the 80's vibe of little boys riding around on their bikes getting into all kinds of mischief and seeing things they sh
Holly  B (semi-hiatus until Jan)
Chalk men lurking...

I'm sure we all have drawn a chalk man or a chalk girl, but never with the consequences that this young group of kids endure!

A very clever thriller full of seething secrets. I read the description for this book and I wasn't sure that this would be something I would enjoy, but I was mesmerized by the slow unraveling of this tale!

Told from childhood (1986) to present day (2016) by one of the boys, Eddie. The author's writing transported me back and forth to each time period. T
Berit☀️✨
Nov 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: faves, net-galley, 2017
well HOT damn!!!5 BIG chalk drawn stars🌟

WOW! I cannot believe this is this authors debut book.... it was just so extremely well thought out, the characters were well-developed, the pacing of the plot was perfect, I really just can’t think of anything wrong with this book....

The story is told from the perspective of Ed.... with two different timelines his present life as a teacher in 2016 and his 12-year-old memories in 1986....

Ed and his buddies find a dead body in the woods, and the murder has
emma
I am sick of a lot of things.

I am sick of studying. I am sick of eating anything other than desserts in the name of “““health.””” I am sick of pretending as a society that Jonathan is an important part of the show Stranger Things, when we all must know that the show would be 200% better without his scary-looking face and inability to act.

But I may not be as sick of anything as I am sick of books like this one.

I love thrillers. I love reading books that cr
Meredith
Dec 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley

“NEVER ASSUME. QUESTION everything. Always look beyond the obvious.”

Creepy psychological thriller about a group of teenagers who find a dead body buried in the woods in 1986. While the killer was apprehended, all was not as it seemed.

When they were 12 years old, Eddie, Hoppo, Metal Mickey, Fat Gav, and Nicky were playing in the woods when they notice drawings of chalk men. The drawings lead them to make a gruesome discovery. This event haunts them for the rest of their lives.

In 2016,“Chalk
Diane S ☔
Oct 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
4.5 Now this is what I call a fantastic mystery. I love the way this was told, our narrator now in his fifties, takes us back to a summer that changed everything. Has sort of a Christmas story or It vibe to it, in the way it is told. We Tavel back to the eighties, and the author does a great job of portraying this time. Ed, our narrator and his group of friends, four in all and one a girls, as they ride their bikes everywhere, build actual forts, not virtual ones. When the games played were most ...more
Lindsay - Traveling Sisters Book Reviews
4 stars! This was a highly suspenseful, intriguing, creepy and mysterious thriller.

This novel caught my attention from the prologue and I found myself growing more attached to this story as I turned each page. The characters were well-developed – some likeable, others not. Each character had an element of mystery about them which I really enjoyed. My suspicions were flip-flopping all over the place trying to determine what had happened and how things would all end. The author did a fantastic job
Melisa
Ghosts didn’t exist in daylight, or zombies. They only existed in that sleepy hollow between midnight and dawn, crumbling to dust at the sun’s first rays. Or so, at the age of twelve, I still believed.

Prepare for some gushing, y’all, because this is one of the best thrillers I’ve read in awhile.

This was a really fresh, unique take on a psychological thriller that didn’t follow a formula like anything else out there. It’s difficult to find a unique plot these days, and while this one has been do
Jen
Jan 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
Chalk was a mainstay of fun when I was growing up. We used it for hopscotch and drawings and it could consume us for hours in the hot summer sun. But, after reading this, you may want to reconsider gifting any child with it. That fun, messy stuff is now a conduit for murder. Because the chalk man leaves his chalk drawing after decapitating a girl and using a group of boy's whose medium of communication is chalking but has now become the messenger of death.
Written in two timelines that worked wel
jessica
Apr 29, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
ive been in a massive mystery/thriller mood and this definitely hit the spot.

the first page of this is one of the best prologues to a story i have ever read but, a couple of chapters in, i began to get major IT vibes and i was worried. im not a stephen king fan, so luckily i was able to look past the similarities. and i think its the writing that helped me do that.

this is definitely a slow burn, but its written in a way to disguise the fact that its on the slower side and it makes you think mor
Larry H
Nov 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
I give this 4.5 stars.

Sometimes you see a bunch of your Goodreads friends raving about a book, and you hope that you'll find it just as good as they did. In the case of C.J. Tudor's terrific debut thriller, The Chalk Man , that definitely was the case for me.

"Personally, I have found that it is much better to take your fears, lock them up in a nice, tightly shut box and shove them into the deepest, darkest corner of your mind."

In the summer of 1986, Eddie and his four best friends—Hoppo, Fat
Linda
"People are strange....." crooned in the deep, haunting voice of Jim Morrison of The Doors.

Oh, that's only the tip on the piece of chalk that leaves irreverent drawings along the way. Quickly sketched ramblings with elusive meanings.

The pages flit back and forth in time from that serrated summer of 1986 in Anderbury. Eddie Adams and his friends are in their twelfth summer of wild boyhood and feel the excitement of good-looking girls and the fast carnival rides that hold promise at the town fair
Carol
4+++ Stars. Beware The Chalk Men!

Only a few chapters in and I was hooked on Eddie "Munster" Adams and the gang of mischievous 12 year olds who ride bikes around their quaint English village....communicate in secret code....with chalk figures (so cool) to disclose the site of their next rendezvous.

The fair was supposed to be fun, and it was at first, but turned out to be the beginning of disastrous times, harmful misadventures and deadly accidents. Add threatening bullies and a creepy new teache

Sue
Aug 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
THE CHALK MAN the psychological suspense debut by author C.J. Tudor, I predict is going to be one of the books for 2018…a brilliant piece of fiction, and the BEST THRILLER book I have read now in 2017! This novel will keep readers guessing right up to the shocking ending. I find it is very difficult to write this review, as I don’t think I could do any of it justice. It is a “Gem” waiting to be discovered!

This is a coming of age creepy story, of a 12-year-old boy surrounded by misfortune and my
Sarah Joint
Nov 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is one of the best things I can say about a book: I would like to read this one again, and I probably will. I'm not someone who re-reads books often, unless they're classics or part of a much beloved series... so that's saying something. I also read this one in one sitting, and had to remind myself to slow down a little bit to get full enjoyment out of it. I just really wanted to know what was going on! It's been a couple of days since I've finished, and the ending is still haunting me at r ...more
Charlotte May
“The time for my childhood bogeyman has gone. I’m an adult now. Time to face the Chalk Man.”

This was a creepy and gripping read.

It follows two timelines of the main character Eddie. The first is in 1986 when Eddie is 12. The second is present day and Eddie is middle aged.

When Eddie was young there was a local teacher who always hovered around and was pale as anything, nicknamed the Chalk Man. Meanwhile Eddie and his friends use chalk to draw stick men and leave messages for one another.

So
Julie
Nov 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-book, thrillers, 2020, dark
The Chalk Man by C.J. Tudor is a 2018 Crown Publishing Group publication.

Nostalgic and atmospheric

In 1986 a group of twelve- year old’s- Eddie Adams, Fat Gav, Metal Mickey, Hoppo, and Nicky find themselves connected to the murder of a young girl Eddie helped to save after a horrific carnival accident.

Now, in 2016, Mickey is back in town, and decides to pay Eddie a visit, which stirs up old memories of the unresolved case, and opens a Pandora’s box of secrets- secrets that could get someone kil
Norma
4.5 stars rounded up to 5 stars!

This novel was the perfect Traveling Sisters Read which I read along with Brenda, Lindsay, Diane, Rita, Susanne and Melisa - which was an excellent choice to read for Halloween!

THE CHALK MAN is a debut psychological thriller novel by C. J. TUDOR that is a chilling, suspenseful, gripping, and a spooky good read that had a sinister feel to it which had me flipping those pages as fast as I could to find out who or what was behind all those mysterious chalk men.

C.
Kendall
Oct 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
C.J Tudor has an exceptional style of writing that flows beautifully across the pages! Metaphoric, symbolic, and absolutely brilliant.

The Chalk Man is a creepy and unique thriller that will leave you aching for more! Beware of the chalk men. This thriller packs a good spicy punch my fellow GR friends!

This novel alternates from 1986 to 2016. The discovery of a body in the woods leads to many unsettling nightmares, visions, and creepy memories for Eddie and his gang of friends. The story is told
Play Book Tag: The Chalk Man by C J Tudor - four stars 1 18 Jan 18, 2020 09:49AM

• The Whisper Man
  • Final Girls
  • The Hunting Party
  • The Turn of the Key
  • The Last Time I Lied
  • Eight Perfect Murders (Malcolm Kershaw, #1)
  • The Family Upstairs
  • No Exit
  • The Sun Down Motel
  • The Cabin at the End of the World
  • The Silent Patient
  • My Lovely Wife
  • The Guest List
C. J. Tudor was born in Salisbury and grew up in Nottingham, where she still lives with her partner and young daughter.

She left school at sixteen and has had a variety of jobs over the years, including trainee reporter, radio scriptwriter, shop assistant, ad agency copywriter and voiceover.

In the early nineties, she fell into a job as a television presenter for a show on Channel 4 called Moviewatc

Articles featuring this book

Are you stuck in a mystery & thriller rut? Sure, you have your favorites you've been turning to for years, and they always deliver. But—just...
“What shapes us is not always our achievements but our omissions. Not lies; simply the truths we don’t tell.” 43 likes
“There are some things in life you can alter–your weight, your appearance, even your name–but there are others that wishing and trying and working hard can never make any difference to. Those things are the ones that shape us. Not the things we can change, but the ones we can't.” 38 likes