Start by marking “Love” as Want to Read:
Love

Love

From Newbery Medal-winning author Matt de la Peña and bestselling illustrator Loren Long comes a story about the strongest bond there is and the diverse and powerful ways it connects us all.

"In the beginning there is light
and two wide-eyed figures standing near the foot of your bed
and the sound of their voices is love.
...
A cab driver plays love softly on his radio
while
Published January 9th 2018 by G.P. Putnam's Sons Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Love, please sign up.
Becky This book can be read with all ages; the more mature the reader, the richer the conversations.

David Schaafsma
Each year my family reads all the Goodreads-award-nominated picture books, and we have been doing this for years. Everyone rates each book and adds a comment and it may (or may not) affect my overall rating. This is book #2 of 2018.

Lyra (11): (11) 4.5 stars. I love how the story has a different kid in every segment, with a different race, gender and age. I like how it shows what they each truly love.

Hank (12): 3 stars. It was ok. I didn't really get it.

Harry (13): 2.5 stars. I didn't get the po
Kelli
Mar 30, 2018 rated it liked it
This highly anticipated picture book seems written for adults or perhaps better appreciated when viewed through the lens of nostalgia and some age. Neither of my children loved it.
Calista
The artwork in this book in unbelievable. So beautiful. I love all these different people in it. This book is showing all these various ways LOVE shows up in our lives, in good times and in hard times. It is always with us. It is a powerful story that is fairly abstract. It does a great job at this for adult or Teens. It meant a lot to me, but I don't think this was for children.

Neither one of the kids really got this book. They thought the pictures we pretty, but the older one said the story w
Elisabeth
This book is so frigging fantastic, I can't stand it. Every single page is a thing of beauty. If you want all the feels, read Love. Plus, if you haven't read Matt de la Peña's essay called Why We Shouldn’t Shield Children From Darkness, you really should. It's beautiful and specifically mentions Love.
Beth
Jun 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is everything I hoped it would be.
Linda
Yes, I finally got it, and yes, it is as beautiful as everyone has said and written and praised. Matt de la Pena infuses his words with loving scenes but has not made it all sweet and happy. He's acknowledged that sometimes love seems to hide and it's a challenge to look and look and still not find it. Then, it is found and feels very very good. In his fabulous illustrations, Loren Long has included people who live in different places, play in various ways, people who are part of our lives. He ...more
Kara Belden
Nov 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Delaney loves "Love," so she gives it "twenty hundred" stars!!
Alicia
Dec 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is one of those books that you read slowly and digest the words along with the gorgeous illustrations that enhance the words with powerful beauty. It's also the kind of book that you're sad that you can never go back and read for the first time again. It disappoints you. But you'll remember the first time you read it and the feelings that it evoked.

de la Pena and Long focus on slices of life and how they are enhanced by love with the final page reminding me of one of the speeches that Hami
Alison
Jan 12, 2018 rated it liked it
I think this book will appeal more to adults or more mature-thinking children than to young children and I think it difficult to write about love in a poetic way with which all will connect deeply. Overall, it is still a worthwhile piece of literature.

I love most a few pages in the middle: 1) the child huddled under the piano as the parents fight while the text says sometimes a child finds out that people flame out like stars can...and 2)the idea of parents shielding kids from difficult news/tv
La Coccinelle
Jul 14, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
You know how, if you say a word over and over again for long enough, it starts to lose its meaning? Unfortunately, I think that's what happened here. In this book everything is love, and while on some level that might be true, it's a message that would probably ring hollow when your parents are fighting or your building is burning down or you have a nightmare after seeing something awful on TV. Equating all of those things with love didn't make much sense to me as an adult, and I'm not sure it w ...more
Katie Fitzgerald
I just really didn't like this book. The illustrations are pretty, but the text is very abstract and not the kind of thing most little kids find appealing. A good number of the lines sound more meaningful than they actually are. For example, I can't think of a context in which a parent would ever say, "It's okay, it's love," nor does it really make any sense to say of the stars that "the shine they shine with is love." It was also completely unclear what gathering around the TV during a tragedy ...more
Rebecca
Well, that was beautiful -- both in words and images. I appreciated the incredibly diverse depictions of people and even of love: that it isn't always sunshine and rainbows, but love that "flames out," that is "overlooked." Loren Long's art is created with "collaged monotype prints, acrylic paint, and pencil." Printmaking is somewhat rare in picture books, and monotypes especially.
Marianne
Feb 28, 2018 rated it it was ok
Nice illustrations. I didn't care much for the text; I found it too saccharine for my tastes. It's the kind of book that will be gifted to high school grads come springtime.
Evan
Book Riot Read Harder Challenge 2018: Read a one-sitting book

Read this book now. For real. Do it.
Shirley
Jan 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Better than I expected and I expected the world! I have been walking around the library sticking in this people's hands since I saw it.
Philip
May 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
The current top-rated review of this book says that the book, "seems written for adults or perhaps better appreciated when viewed through the lens of nostalgia and some age."

That's possibly true, but I just read it to my six year old daughter, Poppy, and she wanted to turn around and read it right back to me.

My (human, not just virtual) friend Chris read this as part of his sermon yesterday. He and his wife have worked with the youth in our church this past year, and together they spoke to the c
Betsy Wolf
Jan 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This one is being pushed like crazy by everybody, but it isn’t just hype. “Love” is a beautiful picture book that probably means more the older you are, but my 7 year old still latched onto the overriding concept of love. She even told me I skipped a page, picked up her dog, and said “Love is two furry ears and a wet nose and a cute puppy.” I loved the addition. I teared up at a couple of poignant moments. I’ll have to pull it together when I read this aloud!
Chance Lee
Feb 14, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-it
A book about love and support and going forth and being brave knowing you are loved.

I'm reading a lot of these types of books lately. This one is better than most, because it at least acknowledges that sometimes things are hard, but we must continue on with our lives anyway.

Still, phrases like "color of your love" and "plays love on the radio" are a little too earnest for me.
Brenda Kahn
Thoughtful meditation on love and all its facets. Beautifully illustrated featuring a multiculturally diverse cast of characters.
Shauna Yusko
Jan 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really like this book. But to me it read more of a book for grownups to give their children as they head off to college or similar event.
Danielle H
Feb 20, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books, 2018
The artwork in this is lovely, as it the message, but it's hard to read this as a book a child would read or get on their own, which is a sticking point for me personally.
GraceAnne
Jan 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The words and the pictures are beautiful and fine, but what I love best about it is that somehow Matt de la Peña makes the simplest of words into an alchemy of the complexity of loves. Sometimes life is dark and scary, even for children - especially for children - but love is always there, somewhere. In ourselves. In the world. The images are soft-edged and glowing, even when dark. Many lives are in these pages, so children might see themselves and their homes and their neighbors. Yes, I could s ...more
Susan
Jan 11, 2018 rated it liked it
I was looking forward to this book, but wound up pretty unimpressed. I read it at an elementary school literacy tutoring center where we read and discuss books with the students, and I didn't actually read this one with a kid, but I don't see how it will be very enjoyable for kids. It definitely plays on emotions and memories we only are truly aware of as adults. Because of that, it comes off to me as sentimental and almost pandering to adult readers. While it's well written and the illustration ...more
Ms. Alderete
Jan 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What is Love and where can one find it? De La Peña and Long do an excellent job working my tear ducts with this one. I’m this book, we are given a strong reminder that “all we need is love” and in the world of De La Peña, we simply have to look up to see it all around us. Beautifully stunning images paired with heartfelt words in a grand harmony.
Julie Kirchner
Jan 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Absolute perfection in story and illustrations, this new book by Matt de la Pena and Loren Long, is one that should be shared with young and old alike. Love can be found in the simplest of things, and sometimes in things unnoticed. But this much is true, we all deserve to know love. I predict great things for this book in 2018!
Megan
Jan 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This book is not only for children. Rather, it is for the part of a person that never ages, the piece we never really lose as we grow. Give it a read; you won't regret it. The story itself is beautiful, and Loren Longs illustrations bring it to life.
Allie
I can't imagine a situation where it would make sense to read this book. It is so heavy handed and at the same time so obtuse! The tone was all over the place. Pump the breaks, y'all. Even Newbery Award winners need a good editor.
Mississippi Library Commission
Matt de la Pena and Loren Long are in perfect sync with this reflection of what love is. Love is all around us, in a multitude of different shades and experiences and packages, and this book was a joy to read. This beautiful picture book will leave your heart overflowing with bliss.
Melissa
Nov 19, 2018 rated it liked it
This book doesn't have a storyline to it so I imagine that most kids will find it boring. I thought it was a good book showing that love means something different to different people.
Picture Book Stud...: Love by Matt de la Peña 1 3 Apr 21, 2018 10:48PM

• Crown: An Ode to the Fresh Cut
  • The Water Princess
  • Islandborn
  • You Hold Me Up
Matt de la Peña is the New York Times best-selling, Newbery-medal-winning author of six young adult novels and four picture books. Matt received his MFA in creative writing from San Diego State University and his BA from the University of the Pacific, where he attended school on a full athletic scholarship for basketball. de la Peña currently lives in Brooklyn, NY. He teaches creative writing and ...more
“It's not stuff you leave with. It's love.” 3 likes
“Stars shine long after they've flamed out and the shine they shine with is love.” 2 likes