Start by marking “The Putin Interviews: Oliver Stone Interviews Vladimir Putin” as Want to Read:
The Putin Interviews: Oliver Stone Interviews Vladimir Putin

The Putin Interviews: Oliver Stone Interviews Vladimir Putin

WITH SUBSTANTIAL MATERIAL NOT INCLUDED IN THE DOCUMENTARY

Academy Award winner Oliver Stone was able to secure what journalists, news organizations, and even other world leaders have long coveted: extended, unprecedented access to Russian President Vladimir Putin.

The Putin Interviews are culled from more than a dozen interviews with Putin over a two-year span--never before
Published June 16th 2017 by Hot Books (first published 2017)

To ask other readers questions about The Putin Interviews, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Putin Interviews

Karl Nordenstorm
Jun 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Strongly recommend it.

Everything I heard about Putin (before listening to these interviews) was negative. Negative in content and negative in tone. Everything from Swedish radio, US politicians, friends, my family history and of topic comments by Bill Maher, Richard Dawkins et cetera - it all hammers in the message: Russia is the enemy, Putin is the enemy. Only exceptions are Nassim Taleb and Noam Chomsky.

What makes these interviews so good is not what they contain, but what they lack. They do
Nathan
Nov 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fascinating book filled with insights on anything and everything from President Putin’s point of view. He is a great man and leader who puts his country first and answers to no one but the Russian people. I gained a new respect for President Putin after reading this book and I recommend it to everyone!
Zak
Aug 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
This is a series of interviews which I listened to on audiobook. The famed director, Oliver Stone conducted these interviews over a period of two years with Vladimir Putin, President, Prime Minister and then President again of the Russian Federation. They cover a whole range of topics of great relevance to today's world. I chose to listen to this audiobook after realising that Putin seems to be making more sense on global issues than other world leaders in recent years. I was amazed by what I fo ...more
Mommalibrarian
Sep 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Putin is obviously an intelligent man. There is no way for me to judge the truth of what he says but it is interesting as it is different from what the conventional media presents.
Luís Garcia
Oct 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Read it attentively, with empathy towards Putin, try to understand not only what he says but also why he says what he says, and surprise yourself. You will find out how mislead were you by the anti-Putin western media. Not only on the content of his speech, but also on the form.
And check how desperate Oliver Stone sounds in front of a Putin who insists on calling US politicians by "our partners", despite the overwhelming accumulation of US aggressive speeches, US misconducts against Russia and
Biblio Curious
The audiobooks is so well done!! The voice actors have the appropriate accents. The actor playing Putin resembles his presence when speaking. The translations for Putin's side of the interview is also well translated, he comes across as very intelligent, calculating, methodological and at times, very eloquent. After listening to this audiobook, my impression of Putin is he's just looking out for Russia's best interests.

Stone asks some gritty questions and Putin is so candid in his replies! I def
Carolyn
Oliver Stone does an excellent job of interviewing Vladimir Putin. The leader of Russia is very articulate, has a fine sense of humor, and seems quite open, except for the few times he refuses to comment. He has a lot to say about the mistakes American leaders have made, and he is pretty persuasive. Altogether an interesting read.
Jess
Jan 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I don't really know much about Vladimir Putin, just what I hear in the news. Which is not always true. Reading this book was informative as it gave me insight on what kind of man he is and his perspective on what goes on in the world.
Tadas Talaikis
Jul 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: politics

Few things.

1. If the U.S. was involved some way in Chechnya war, where's proof? If that's true, then Putin shot his leg with such claims as he had destroyed free press that can investigate it. Only idiots or yesterday born babies would believe what Putin has to say. And he is definitely much smarter than fatty, sleepy Westerners. As I always say, the problem with people's opinions, they make their decisions on too little of the information.

2. Magically became the president. Who da hell you tryin

Garrett Zecker
Jun 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
In The Putin Interviews, Oliver Stone shadows Vladimir Putin for over two years and asks a series of provocative questions of the enigmatic leader. They cover everything from his childhood and education to the most recent developments in their role with the election of Donald Trump. I mainly read this as a source of research for a novel I am working on that partially takes place at the point of his rise as a regional politician after leaving the KGB, but ultimately I found this book to be a capt ...more
Mirek Jasinski
Sep 07, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: russia
A very interesting perspective. The book is good, but it is only a dry transcript of the interviews conducted over a few visits to Russia. The documentary is way better! You can see the selection of places to provide the background (quite telling in itself!), the facial expressions of Putin, his body language and intonation which is indicative of his hidden psychological reactions. Watch the interviews first, and then read it. Or perhaps listen to the audiobook (haven't heard it but other review ...more
Ganesh Maharaj
Jul 11, 2017 rated it liked it
It is very interesting to get to see how the Russian leader views the rest of the world and how he handles his position. While i do not agree with Mr.Putin on many of his points or agree on how Mr. Oliver Stone handled his follow-ups, it was a very gutsy interview and kudos to Oliver stone for persisting and finishing this 2 year long interview.
Dion
Jul 25, 2017 rated it liked it
Stone is a bit of a Putin sycophant, but it is interesting to hear Vlad's take on the US and he seems amused by Stone, who's number I think he has. This book is especially interesting in the climate of what is happening in the US today with the current administration's entanglement / unknown alliances/debts to the Russian government and/or financial system.
Dario Andrade
Gosto de livros de entrevistas. Nesse aqui, o líder russo Vladimir Putin é entrevistado pelo cineasta americano Oliver Stone. Alguns pontos são interessantes, especialmente quando Putin fala de si próprio, da sua infância, de seus pais. Quando as perguntas são sobre política ou economia, Putin tende a ser mais evasivo e o livro perde um pouco da sua graça. É interessante ouvir alguém com quem raramente temos contato, como é o caso do Putin, mas acho que com um entrevistador mais preparado teria ...more
Trang Maru
Jul 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: americas
Góc nhìn của Putin, của Nga về nhiều vấn đề nóng.
OS giỏi trong đặt câu hỏi thì VP cũng rất tài ba trong trả lời. Dù OS có phản đối chính sách này kia của Mỹ, thì Mỹ vẫn luôn là người nắm truyền thông, và tiêu chuẩn kép thì vẫn luôn tồn tại với Nga.
Thế giới đa cực hay đơn cực?
Kris
Aug 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
3.75?
Teoh
Dec 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The value in this transcript, in my opinion, lies not in what Putin is trying to convey to Stone but rather what he is conveying through Stone to a wider audience i.e. the Western world, and in particular the United States. It would be far-fetched to claim that Putin's exposition would enable the reader to "sense" the Russian leader's "soul", to quote a cheerleader pundit. We may question Putin's motives, even what can be described as disingenuous remarks (his comment on MH17 in view of the JIT ...more
Hal
May 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Oliver Stone conducted four personal interviews with Vladimir Putin over the period from July 2, 2015 through Feb. 10, 2017. Much history in the world transpired then. His interviews with Putin were very direct, asking his input to a whole gambit of world affairs, from Russia-US relations, Syria, Ukraine, economics, the American election, etc. Putin's responses seemed to be honest and highlighted their concern about US aggressiveness in the world, by interfering in many problem areas, especially ...more
Varrick Nunez
Aug 03, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Annoying recording, the performance stultifying, distracting to the point that it's literally unlistenable. For some reason, the Putin voice is acted with a slavic-accented English, unnecessary.

The interview is frequently interspersed with "background notes" in a different voice, almost a computer-like reading. I will try to just read the book when I can.

The content is interesting, and important. Putin himself comes off as a reasonable pragmatist, with his greatest interest in solving the probl
Wedma
May 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Preisgekrönter US-Amerikanischer Regisseur, Drehbuchautor und Produzent Oliver Stone hat im Juni 2017 sein Buch „Putin Interviews“ veröffentlicht. Darin enthalten sind vier Interviews mit dem russischen Staatspräsidenten: Das erste Interview ist von 2015. Das zweite und das dritte von 2016. Das vierte ist von Februar 2017.

Bei all dem, was man in der letzten Zeit über Putin aus Leitmedien gehört hat, fand ich es interessant wie notwendig, seine eigene Sicht der Dinge zu erfahren. Und ich muss sa
Alex
Jul 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Listened to the audio book version.

A very intellectual and thought provoking look into the world of the Russian Federation through the eyes of it's president. In the times of increased US hysteria surrounding Russia, this book provides a perspective you will not find in the "main stream" media.

Every person remotely interested in world politics or global affairs should read/listen to the interviews.
Glenn
Aug 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Stone questions Putin on many different personal, social, & political issues. Putin presents himself as a polished statesman presenting himself intellectually, revealing only enough information to present Russia in a favourable light despite Stone's plying him for more telling evidences. So the transcript is a little dull and what you would you might expect from a seasoned politician.
anna b
Apr 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
What if you get to see things from Putin's perspective? I feel it brought a lot of things to light and says a lot about the man who the USA and many parts of the world see as an enemy or another mad person. Though I still wouldn't trust some of his words and not interested in/don't understand much politics, I like the different view this book provided me with. Putin is smart.
Nick Doinikov
Oct 08, 2018 rated it liked it
This book is a one big conversation between a director with very mediocre journalistic skills and an absolutely deluded politician who lost connection with the reality. No challenges were given to Putin at all, Stone just nodding and agreeing to everything Putin says.
A Bible for those who believe in Putin as a Saviour, and a quite a dull read for those who see a different picture.
Mike Shaw
Jul 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
This audio book revealed a very interesting insight into Vladimir Putin’s thinking on many current geopolitical issues. The Oliver Stone interviews were conducted over two years that coincided with the 2016 Election. I recommend listening to these interviews to hear Putin's side of the issues, translated without the current spin of the American media.
Kenneth Hammond
Dec 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Putin Interviews: Oliver Stone Interviews Vladimir Putin (Audiobook)

Very interesting series of interviews carried out by Oliver Stone of movie “Platoon” fame, this is a very candid view into the mind of Putin, by some extreme groups he’s portrayed as the anti-Christ or to others the next saviour. Oliver asked many questions and seems Putin has very plausible answers to every single question or suitable diversions. A former KGB agent & now a 4 term Russian leader he is to me a real enigm
Thiago S.
Aug 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Putin é uma figura bastante interessante e singular no mundo atual. Tanto ele quanto o autor possuem uma inteligência muito acima da média. As entrevistas trazem fatos e pensamentos novos sobretudo para quem não tem acesso à imprensa russa e desconhece a biografia de Putin.

Por reproduzir na íntegra as conversas de Putin com Stone, o livro pode se tornar um pouco repetitivo, principalmente nos lomgos monólogos de Putin (uma pergunta de duas linhas muitas vezes recebe uma resposta de 1,5 página).
Ryan
Aug 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
I found it intriguing to hear Putin's views on Syria, Crimea, US elections, Snowden, Nato, and much more. Putin seems like an extremely intelligent man. I liked hearing his critiques of US policy. He continually refers to the US as 'our partners'. He is consistently able to portray his decisions as supporting Russian interests, and not punitive or provocative in any way. It's fascinating. He's a master at what he does.
For example, when asked why they are harboring Snowden, he says that Snowden c
Trà
Aug 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
- Anh có biết người Nga vẫn nói thế nào không? Họ nói rằng những kẻ nào định mệnh là chết treo thì sẽ không chết đuối.
- Định mệnh của ông là gì, thưa ông? Ông có biết không?
- Chỉ Chúa mới biết điều đó. Chỉ Chúa mới biết định mệnh của chúng ta- của anh và của tôi.
- Có lẽ là chết bình yên trên giường?
- Một ngày nào đó chuyện ấy sẽ xảy ra với tất cả chúng ta. Câu hỏi là chúng ta đã đạt được gì vào lúc đó trong thế giới đầy biến động này và liệu chúng ta có tận hưởng cuộc đời mình hay không.
Kiril
Nov 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Безусловно интересно четиво. Впечатлява дългият период през който са вземани интервютата, няколко години, което дава възможност да се проследи Путин в развитие. Интересно е да се причете ясната и твърда позиция по много въпроси Украйна, Сирия и прочие. Фактът, че дори толкова дълго интервю не дава нищо в повече от това, което се знае, прави книгата по-скоро систематизатор на известното. Едно поне ми стана ясно - САЩ със своята арогантност и инфантилизъм създадоха днешният Путин.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »