Start by marking “Black Girl Magic” as Want to Read:
Black Girl Magic

Black Girl Magic

Black Girl, they say you ain't 'posed to be here

Much of what twenty-first century culture tells black girls is not pretty: Don't wear this; don't smile at that. Don't have an opinion; don't dream big. And most of all, don't love yourself. In response to such destructive ideas, internationally recognized poet Mahogany Browne challenges the conditioning of society by craftin
Published January 2nd 2018 by Roaring Brook Press

To ask other readers questions about Black Girl Magic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Black Girl Magic

Nay Keppler
Jan 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
EVERYONE READ THE SHIT OUTTA THIS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Erin *Help I’m Reading and I Can’t Get Up*
Buy 20 copies of this and give one to every black girl you meet tomorrow. That’d be a good start.
Bobbieshiann

BLACK GIRL
WORTH
REMEMBERING”!!!!!
Latanya (CraftyScribbles)
Beautiful. Raw. Emotional. Endearing. Empowering. Realistic.

Mahogany L. Browne's poetry pirouettes among stereotypes and expectations of black girls and women, while singing praise and wonder to those in need of hearing positivity and glory. Truly haunting and lovely.

5/5
Tiana Hadnt
Jan 25, 2018 rated it liked it
I was underwhelmed by this poem. I can see what it’s trying to do, but....it doesn’t quite do it.

As a black woman, I realize fully that there are things we have to deal with that other women don’t. I realize that this is a good poem for little girls who’ve never been taught that they’re worth anything. For women who look back at the girl they were and wish they’d had someone to tell them these things. Or for women who wished they’d believed these things when they were told.

However, it’s lacklu
Tarina
Jan 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Should it count towards my goal if the book is just one poem? Even a poem big enough to stop me in my tracks in the book store aisle, kneel on the floor, and cry?
Probably.
This was the book I wish had been on my shelf when I was young and I am so happy to be adding to my shelves now. The art is spectacular, the verses are touching and rhythmic. This is art and beauty and magic. Magic the white lady who watched me murmur this poem to myself and cry didn't understand because those weren't very unde
Lata
Mar 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fierce and proud.
Rogene Carter
Mar 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry, picture-books
Gorgeous, important, and brilliant.
Kate
Dec 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2017
Powerful, raw, lovely. It's moving and empowering. <3
Melissa
Jan 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
Wow, this hit pretty hard for me. This poem talked about things that I have tried relaying to other people and they just didn't get it but clearly this author gets it.
Jillian Heise
An empowering message in a beautiful book. However, definitely a more mature read. I would not put it in my elementary library, but would love to use it with high school kids in a larger discussion around social justice and race.
Shyiesha
May 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Nice use of imagery, but it felt like something was missing. Nonetheless, it is a great read and I will most definitely offer it to young women of color.
Kirsten
Jul 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I can't tell you how much I love this book. There are not enough words. It's for teens but it's also a picture book and it doesn't need to be any longer than it is. It puts into words the expectations that we, as black girls, grow up with and then says throw them out and be who you are, not what people tell you you have to be. Let your black girl magic shine!
Jeimy
Jan 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Empowering words!
Amazing poem with graphics that bring it to life.

Great use of black and red and gold.
Miss Ryoko
Apr 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
In your face, honest, beautiful, magical, powerful. I am grateful this book exists
Stephanie
Mar 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a very short read but it is powerful! Everyone should read this regardless of race. Any WOMAN or GIRL should read this! It hard hitting and so true. Yes we live in a world where sexism is something that is an everyday thing but us Woman are so much more than "baby carriers". We are dreams, we are lovers, we are the Presidents and CEO of Fortune 500 companies. We need to come together and make sure that all ladies, young and old know this! I feel that men should also read this because the ...more
Andre
May 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A visual and linguistic marvel! A poem yes, but one of esteem both aspirational and inspirational. One showing and teaching Black girls to embrace their power. To understand and appreciate the greatness that lies within and around them, to ignore the easy, ubiquitous stereotypes and accomplish whatsoever one will. The illustrations make it appear as if each page is connected by the braided hair of a black girl.

A very short book with the poem spread out over its 40 pages. A lovely piece of poetic
Natalie
Apr 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
First, I would like to say that I loved this poem. I want to send it to every school library in Chicagoland so that every little black girl can read it.

I would love to see this beautiful poem be expanded into a collection that provides a larger conversation about the extent of black girl magic.

While I love Beyonce and Kerry Washington, I would love more examples of successful black women in all sorts of fields. Let's write and talk about Mama Lola (religious leader and actual badass), Roxane G
Brittney Previe
Nov 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: girl-power
Solid little books of poetry are important. They prove a point in a small digestible section that leave you craving more. This book is not different. I bought this for my daughter, to teach her the stereotypes that will plague her as a young, beautiful black girl, but she is more than that. She holds a power the world has yet to see, but they will. Simply and eloquently, Black Girl Magic, breaks down the barriers we face as black girls on our society and builds us up through “an anthem of streng ...more
Pegi Ferrell
This really gets a 4.9. I love the message and the stunning illustrations. However, I wish the women on the "SHINE! SHINE! SHINE!" page had included more than performers. How about Ursula Burns? Angie Thomas? Dorothy Vaughn?

However, I will still recommend this to EVERYONE! I am so excited that the librarian who checked this out to me put it on hold before I left the building. Book power!
Aaron Dennis
Oct 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a great reminder for me, as a teacher in a diverse classroom, to make space for those voices who may be too often relegated to background noise.
Mar 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
2019 Amelia Bloomer Early Readers Nonfiction
Alia
Feb 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Phenomenal
Kirsten
This is a powerful poem, gorgeously illustrated by Jess X. Snow. While this appears to be a picture book, it will speak most strongly to teens and young adults.
Katy
Feb 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: diverse-books
Compelling illustrations and Powerful words
Baby Bookworm
Feb 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: our-reviews

Hello, friends! Our book today is Black Girl Magic: A Poem, written by Mahogany L. Browne and illustrated by Jess X. Snow, a moving tribute to struggles, inner strength, and triumphant spirit of black girls and women.

These are the rules: Don’t wear red lipstick. Don’t wear high heels. Don’t smile in public. Don’t share your opinion. Don’t HAVE an opinion. Carry weaves, families, households, bur
Kara
Jan 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
2019 POPSUGAR Reading Challenge:
Rich in Color
Apr 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Review copy: library copy

The end papers speak even before the poem begins. The red pages are filled with names of those who paved the way for this poet. The end note explains that this Roll Call is paying homage to those who “allowed this #BlackGirlMagic to exist.”

Before I even began reading, I was admiring the design of the book. It’s a small, slim, square book decorated with braids. The color scheme is black, red, white, with occasional gold. Stars are a recurring theme along with the braids.
Kristin Lansdown
Feb 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
I'm having an interesting time with this book. I thought the illustrations were amazing and the subject matter important. But as I read this it felt more like a spoken word piece (which feels true since in the acknowledgements there's a shout out to Young Chicago Authors where she shared it in it's infancy) which *I* have trouble with feeling connected to in written form. This book is in our young adult section at the library and I'm sure for teens this might resonate more. I'd even love to read ...more
  • That Is My Dream!