Start by marking “Save Me from Dangerous Men (Nikki Griffin, #1)” as Want to Read:
Save Me from Dangerous Men (Nikki Griffin, #1)

Save Me from Dangerous Men

(Nikki Griffin #1)

Nikki Griffin isn't your typical private investigator. In her office above her bookstore’s shelves and stacks, where she luxuriates in books and the comfort they provide, she also tracks certain men. Dangerous men. Men who have hurt the women they claim to love. And Nikki likes to teach those men a lesson, to teach them what it feels like to be hurt and helpless, so she ...more
Published March 19th 2019 by Flatiron Books

Start your review of Save Me from Dangerous Men (Nikki Griffin, #1)
Paromjit
Feb 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
I am not sure if I love the title of SA Lelchuk's all action debut thriller, but I found it a pulse pounding, tense and thrilling read. For a start, the central character of Nikki Griffin is so compelling with her heartbreaking personal history. It is this background that has made her what she is today, a kick ass woman who will do whatever it takes below the radar to ensure that abused women gain safety and receive justice, a justice that Nikki has no compunction about meting out to the ...more
David Putnam
Nov 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
I take notes for the review as I read the book and I’ll write the review with a similar chronology.
Love the Nikki character, strong point of view, strong writing craft. Nikki is multifaceted, three dimensional and yet flawed just enough. She has it all and might even supplant Jack Reacher.
Dangerous Men has a bookstore in it with a well-read Nikki who constantly talks about books. I love this aspect and even added a few books to my TBR pile. This book reminds me a little of Booked to Die also an
Bibi
Jul 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A vigilante heroine who loves books? Heck yeah.

This was as suspenseful as it was thrilling, with a badass heroine who did what needed to be done to get the bad guys.

If you love thrillers but have yet to read this book, then you’re in for a great time.
Cortney LaScola - The Bookworm, Myrtle Beach
I was so set to love Nikki and her double life... bookseller by day, badass PI and righter of wrongs by night, but this book was just OK for me. Sometimes it's so obvious (and not in a good way) when a male author tries to write a female character... this was definitely one of those times. All the characters needed flushed out more. I love Ethan, give me more of him. Nikki has potential, so does Jess. I just need more. I want more about their backstory, and what makes them tick.

The mystery was
Krystin Rachel
Book Blog | Bookstagram

Opening Hook: Pool cues and brass knuckles
Main Character: Guilt-plaguing with tight jeans and a purpose
Plot Twisty-ness: A little off the Silicon Valley rails, and I don’t mean cocaine.

I was committed and ready, and completely open, to falling head over heels in love with Nikki Griffin, bookseller and badass P.I. with some serious anger issues.

But, unfortunately, this didn’t totally live up to everything I wanted it to be. Call it a victim of my high expectations if you
Karl
Apr 01, 2019 marked it as to-read
This hardcover copy is signed by S. A. Lelchuk.
Fiona
Mar 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Save Me from Dangerous Men is S.A. Lelchuck's debut novel, and while I had a couple of quibbles with it, for the most part we got along very well.

Nikki Griffin, our heroine, is cool, edgy, and in the tradition of all the best detectives, deeply, deeply troubled. She's got a penchant for motorcycles, leather, weapons, and books, as well as a fiercely protective side and the skills to back up the trouble her mouth gets her into. Between running a bookshop and looking after a brother who never met
Kelly Spoer
Apr 10, 2019 rated it did not like it
I got suckered in because the hero works at a bookstore.

I read to chapter 8 and then stopped.
Thrillers aren't really my thing.
Also, I'm tired of the description of women that men seem to think we have when looking at a mirror.

Sorry Lelchuck, we don't think "I'm not skinny, but I'm toned," before applying more lip gloss in the mirror.
Melanie
Mar 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Save Me from Dangerous Men was an outstanding read with an excellent main character and an engrossing mystery.

Nikki Griffin doesn’t usually take normal PI jobs, but instead focuses on tracking dangerous men who hurt the women they love and teaching them what it’s like to be hurt. Nikki’s goal is to ensure her clients are free from their abusers forever and Nikki is very good at her job. After she is offered a large cash payment to follow a tech company employee who may be selling secrets, Nikki
Perry
Mar 22, 2019 rated it it was ok
Intriguing female detective and an interesting, relatively credible backstory. Yet, this modern detective thriller suspense novel, with its early promise, ultimately faces the dreadful predicament of predictability as well as what seemed to me a few too many implausible jumps and gaps in time.

I am still searching for depth, cunning and precision in the modern detective novel. I am beginning to wonder if the combo is nearly extinct besides Harry Bosch who is getting a little less credible the
Nancy McFarlane
Nov 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Move over Jack Reacher, Nikki Griffin is on the job. Like Reacher, Nikki doesn’t go looking for trouble. She owns a bookstore and loves to help customers find just the right book and loves to banter about book trivia with the groups that meet at her store. However, she has a dark past and can’t just stand by and watch women be abused when she is smart enough, strong enough and fierce enough to convince the men in their lives that she is their worst nightmare and they need to get lost, ...more
Chandra Claypool (wherethereadergrows)
Mar 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
Opening chapter has Nikki being a pool shark and I was loving EVERY SINGLE BIT OF IT. As a woman who has competed in pool and has gone through that gambit of men being dicks until they realize you can play... well, let's just say that this scene was very realistic and I loved seeing it come to life on these pages.

I was captured from the very beginning and this was quite the ride. Nikki is damaged and has a pretty terrible past that led her to help women who are being abused and to be a somewhat
Laura Rash
Jan 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Well Nikki might be my favorite new badass! Quite the well rounded woman between her love for books, people, her brother and struggling women! This is going to be an excellent series that will have women cheering Nikki on!
Beatrix
We don't talk about it. But things we don't talk about still happen.

I loved this. Great cast of colorful characters, intricate plot with sub-plots that held my attention, great story. Feminist af.
In a way it reminded me a little bit of the Mindf*ck Series - kickass female character on the road to revenge.

He deserved to die. Which left only one question. Who did I want to be?
I made a decision. Pushed the doubt away.
I pulled the trigger.
Amelia
May 07, 2019 added it
I only made it two pages before checking to confirm my suspicions that the author is a man.

For starters, "stone washed hip hugger jeans". That was the first thing that distracted me. Stone washing is a very common technique and doesn't need to be clarified to that level. Second, no one wears hip hugging jeans anymore. I saw that reference and started skimming for a year because the book obviously isn't set in the current time period.

Secondly, why would the main character order a drink, take a
Kathleen
Dec 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Yay! A really great new female character that totally kicks butt! I am hoping Nikki Griffin has the staying power to show up in many more novels. She is a great character with a very dark past who is living her best life but also dealing with that dark past in very dark ways. Condonable ways? I'm not so sure. But, entertaining ways? Definitely! I found this book to be a very compelling read and really couldn't get through it fast enough to satisfy me.

But, let's talk about that last star I'm
Liz
Jul 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Nikki Griffin is one tough chick. A Berkeley grad and a local book store owner...she is not what you’d expect. She moonlights as a do-good vigilante, and a private investigator just outside San Francisco, California. Her work definitely speaks for itself...and her next job is unlike any of the others...An unknown tech company reaches out to her to do a little recon work. In true Nikki fashion she dives in with everything she has. But, this time she may be a little too good at her job. This was a ...more
Anne
Dec 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wildest ride ever! Female PI Nikki Griffin is a hardboiled, kick-ass, take-no-prisoners woman who has been compared to Jack Reacher and Lisbeth Salander. From the first page, we see her lure in an unsuspecting abuser whom she then teaches a valuable lesson after putting him in the emergency room. I knew I was going to love this novel when I realized she was a vengeance with which to be reckoned. Fortunately, she has a heart as well, and as the book progresses we see the trauma in her childhood ...more
Rachel
Oct 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
What a cool book! I received an advance reading copy from the publisher. The back cover likens the protagonist to Jessica Jones and Lisbeth Salander, and it's a fair comparison. What I loved, though, is that this book was not quite as dark as either of those stories. It's got some heavy content, but enough levity to keep it moving, and it moves at a pretty good clip--I never wanted to stop! Would have read it all in one sitting if my schedule had allowed it.
One thing that made this book stand
Janet Newport
Nov 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Thank you NetGalley and Flatiron Books for this arc.

Please buckle your seat belts and make sure your tray tables are in their upright position... "Cause this is one wild ride! Other reviewers have compared Nikki Griffin to Jack Reacher and/or Lisbeth Salander. She is also described as kickass. My interest was piqued. Hyperbolic over-hype? I had to read it to find out. I was not disappointed.

Nikki is a great character, unreal sense of personal responsibility and incapable of quitting while she's
Aristotle
Sep 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Needed a female editor

Nikki Griffin, is a gun-toting, motorcycle-riding, karate chopping, private eye who owns a bookstore.
Just good enough to finish but it took me too long to finish.
A little to dry a little to cliche a little to violent.
Just ok

When a female protagonist is written by a male author he should rely heavily on a female editor.
Joy
Mar 23, 2019 rated it it was ok
1.5 stars. Great idea, but the writing is weak and ultimately — this is a man writing a woman, and you can tell. Parts are silly and ridiculous, and the writing can’t save it.
This is literally how the main character thinks, starting on p1: “The bartender was a big, paunchy guy, better side of fifty, graying hair. He eyed me without bothering to hide it. So did the rest of the bar. So what.” On p2, she’s thinking that she “could feel the whole bar staring at my a** in the tight jeans.”
Well, in
Heather Fineisen
Nov 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Nicki Griffith has a lot going for her in Lelchuk' s introduction to the character. She owns a bookstore. She enjoys literary banter. She helps women who need help. She is a bad ass. A strong, vigilante type female investigator when she's not managing her bookstore, you can't help but root for her. Many good action scenes although the plot has some holes.

Copy provided by the Publisher and NetGalley

Amber J
Jul 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Adult. Lovers of Thillers and mystery.
Rating 3.54 out of 5 stars

Honestly I have conflicting feeling on this book. It had a lot of action which I loved and a strong female main character who protected those who needed protecting. It was a nice change of pace in that sense, however the story itself was slow paced and had so much extra information that was not needed at all. This book could have easily been half its size if you took out everything that was not needed. The main story is where most of the action was but it wasn't really

Sydney
Aug 29, 2019 rated it liked it
This is a solid three-star book for me, so here we go. Pros: I was hooked by the concept of a badass bookseller/private investigator and I loved Nikki’s character! I liked the balance of her backstory and the current plot line in addition to the overall concept of a modernized detective/thriller story. Cons: It was just too predictable and had too many cliches, including the “bad guy monologue” at the end where they reveal their whole plan conveniently in front of the main character. I really ...more
Trisha
Apr 30, 2019 rated it it was ok
"I know you would," he said. "But that's not me. You know that. I'm on my train, you're on yours. And I'm really happy that I get to rattle along and look out the window see you. But we're on different tracks. We can't change that."

I wanted to love this one. It starts out with Nikki entering a bar, schooling fools out of their money and pool and then tricking a dangerous man into inviting her home. He's her mark and she's there with a purpose. I really wanted to like Nikki.

But with her first
Paige
Apr 04, 2019 rated it it was ok
This book is, more or less, an illogical mess. The character is like some sort of amazingly talented spy/Sherlock/ninja who never gets caught or hurt somehow. There are like two weird, nonsensical plots throughout the entire book and then a dumb romantic one that is utterly unnecessary.

The main character, Nikki, is cocky as hell and she is somehow never caught or punished for anything. She is omniscient and omnipresent somehow. Oh, and she’s BANGING hot. That’s made clear in every other chapter.
Sarah Swann
Aug 14, 2019 rated it it was ok
I didn’t really enjoy this one. I thought it would be more of the main character helping protect women, but it morphed into something else. I also didn’t really like the main character at all. She was smart but she made awful decisions and was a huge enabler for her drug addicted brother. It was hard to keep all the characters straight. Overall I just wasn’t a big fan of this one.
Chris Conley
May 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Terrific start to a new series. Nikki is a truly unique heroine. I think the series has a lot of promise for new and interesting situations!!
Donna Hines
Nov 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Nikki is tracking dangerous men and they got more than they bargained for because she's a PI who knows how to get revenge.
Nikki must now break cover in tailing PI Karen as the stakes couldn't be any higher for the two ladies.
Now Nikki isn't just solving a case she's become the case and is literally fighting for her life.
Right the wrongs and take no prisoners this one will surely keep you in panic mode.
Thank you to SA Lelchuk, the publisher, NetGalley, and Aldiko for this ARC in exchange for this
Bookish First Rea...: Save Me from Dangerous Men by S.A. Lelchuk 1 2 Oct 22, 2019 01:05PM
Madison Mega-Mara...: #27 Save Me from Dangerous Men 1 5 Apr 06, 2019 02:21PM

• City of Windows (Lucas Page, #1)
  • If She Wakes
  • The Good Detective
  • Deception Cove (Neah Bay, #1)
  • The Night Before
  • Girls Like Us
  • The Better Sister
  • I Know Who You Are
  • Good Girl, Bad Girl (Cyrus Haven, #1)
  • The Escape Room
  • A Beautiful Corpse (Harper McClain, #2)
  • The Chain
  • Never Look Back
  • My Lovely Wife
  • The Stranger Inside
  • Before She Knew Him
  • Lock Every Door
  • As Long as We Both Shall Live
S.A. Lelchuk is the author of SAVE ME FROM DANGEROUS MEN, the first book in a series featuring bookseller and private investigator Nikki Griffin. S.A. grew up in New Hampshire and teaches creative writing at Dartmouth College.