Start by marking “Save Me from Dangerous Men (Nikki Griffin, #1)” as Want to Read:
Save Me from Dangerous Men (Nikki Griffin, #1)

Save Me from Dangerous Men

(Nikki Griffin #1)

Nikki Griffin isn't your typical private investigator. In her office above her bookstore’s shelves and stacks, where she luxuriates in books and the comfort they provide, she also tracks certain men. Dangerous men. Men who have hurt the women they claim to love. And Nikki likes to teach those men a lesson, to teach them what it feels like to be hurt and helpless, so she ca ...more
Published March 19th 2019 by Flatiron Books

Start your review of Save Me from Dangerous Men (Nikki Griffin, #1)
Paromjit
Feb 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
I am not sure if I love the title of SA Lelchuk's all action debut thriller, but I found it a pulse pounding, tense and thrilling read. For a start, the central character of Nikki Griffin is so compelling with her heartbreaking personal history. It is this background that has made her what she is today, a kick ass woman who will do whatever it takes below the radar to ensure that abused women gain safety and receive justice, a justice that Nikki has no compunction about meting out to the abusers ...more
David Putnam
Nov 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
I take notes for the review as I read the book and I’ll write the review with a similar chronology.
Love the Nikki character, strong point of view, strong writing craft. Nikki is multifaceted, three dimensional and yet flawed just enough. She has it all and might even supplant Jack Reacher.
Dangerous Men has a bookstore in it with a well-read Nikki who constantly talks about books. I love this aspect and even added a few books to my TBR pile. This book reminds me a little of Booked to Die also an
Bibi
Jul 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A vigilante heroine who loves books? Heck yeah.

This was as suspenseful as it was thrilling, with a badass heroine who did what needed to be done to get the bad guys.

If you love thrillers but have yet to read this book, then you’re in for a great time.
Cortney LaScola - The Bookworm Myrtle Beach
I was so set to love Nikki and her double life... bookseller by day, badass PI and righter of wrongs by night, but this book was just OK for me. Sometimes it's so obvious (and not in a good way) when a male author tries to write a female character... this was definitely one of those times. All the characters needed flushed out more. I love Ethan, give me more of him. Nikki has potential, so does Jess. I just need more. I want more about their backstory, and what makes them tick.

The mystery was g
Krystin Rachel
Book Blog | Bookstagram

Filed Under: Guilt-plaguing with tight jeans and a purpose

I was committed and ready, and completely open to falling head over heels in love with Nikki Griffin, bookseller and badass P.I. with some serious anger issues.

But, unfortunately, this didn’t totally live up to everything I wanted it to be. Call it a victim of my high expectations if you want, but I found this to be a just okay, middle-of-the-road thriller.

The star highlight for me is the main character of Nikki Gri
Fiona
Mar 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Re-read as I have an ARC for the next book: definitely choppy at the start, but as mentioned settles down 1/3 to 1/2 in. This book really claimed a space in my brain since I read it, and for all the best reasons - The Brimstone Magpie and associated characters have stuck with me hard, so I'm quite excited to get a chance to read the sequel

Save Me from Dangerous Men is S.A. Lelchuck's debut novel, and while I had a couple of quibbles with it, for the most part we got along very well.

Nikki Griffin
Kelly Spoer
Apr 10, 2019 rated it did not like it
I got suckered in because the hero works at a bookstore.

I read to chapter 8 and then stopped.
Thrillers aren't really my thing.
Also, I'm tired of the description of women that men seem to think we have when looking at a mirror.

Sorry Lelchuck, we don't think "I'm not skinny, but I'm toned," before applying more lip gloss in the mirror.
Woman Reading
3 Stars - a debut novel with potential

From the book jacket:
Nikki Griffin loves books. They provide refuge and comfort from her tragic past. But Nikki isn’t a typical bookseller. In her office above her bookstore, she takes jobs as a private investigator to pay the bills. She also tracks certain men. Dangerous men. Men who have hurt the women they claim to love.

With this book jacket synopsis, I picked up Save Me from Dangerous Men (SMfDM) in the hopes of finding a female protagonist for my
Danielle (The Blonde Likes Books)
I loved this one! Nikki is a morally gray character, but I was definitely rooting for her. Can’t wait to see what she does in the next book!
Karl
Apr 01, 2019 marked it as to-read
This hardcover copy is signed by S. A. Lelchuk.
Perry
Mar 22, 2019 rated it it was ok
Intriguing female detective and an interesting, relatively credible backstory. Yet, this modern detective thriller suspense novel, with its early promise, ultimately faces the dreadful predicament of predictability as well as what seemed to me a few too many implausible jumps and gaps in time.

I am still searching for depth, cunning and precision in the modern detective novel. I am beginning to wonder if the combo is nearly extinct besides Harry Bosch who is getting a little less credible the fur
Aristotle
Sep 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Needed a female editor

Nikki Griffin, is a gun-toting, motorcycle-riding, karate chopping, private eye who owns a bookstore.
Just good enough to finish but it took me too long to finish.
A little too dry a little too cliche a little too violent.
Just ok

When a female protagonist is written by a male author he should rely heavily on a female editor.
Nancy McFarlane
Nov 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Move over Jack Reacher, Nikki Griffin is on the job. Like Reacher, Nikki doesn’t go looking for trouble. She owns a bookstore and loves to help customers find just the right book and loves to banter about book trivia with the groups that meet at her store. However, she has a dark past and can’t just stand by and watch women be abused when she is smart enough, strong enough and fierce enough to convince the men in their lives that she is their worst nightmare and they need to get lost, permanentl ...more
Melanie
Mar 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Save Me from Dangerous Men was an outstanding read with an excellent main character and an engrossing mystery.

Nikki Griffin doesn’t usually take normal PI jobs, but instead focuses on tracking dangerous men who hurt the women they love and teaching them what it’s like to be hurt. Nikki’s goal is to ensure her clients are free from their abusers forever and Nikki is very good at her job. After she is offered a large cash payment to follow a tech company employee who may be selling secrets, Nikki
Amelia
May 07, 2019 added it
I only made it two pages before checking to confirm my suspicions that the author is a man.

For starters, "stone washed hip hugger jeans". That was the first thing that distracted me. Stone washing is a very common technique and doesn't need to be clarified to that level. Second, no one wears hip hugging jeans anymore. I saw that reference and started skimming for a year because the book obviously isn't set in the current time period.

Secondly, why would the main character order a drink, take a s
Chandra Claypool (WhereTheReaderGrows)
Opening chapter has Nikki being a pool shark and I was loving EVERY SINGLE BIT OF IT. As a woman who has competed in pool and has gone through that gambit of men being dicks until they realize you can play... well, let's just say that this scene was very realistic and I loved seeing it come to life on these pages.

I was captured from the very beginning and this was quite the ride. Nikki is damaged and has a pretty terrible past that led her to help women who are being abused and to be a somewhat
Kathleen
Dec 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Yay! A really great new female character that totally kicks butt! I am hoping Nikki Griffin has the staying power to show up in many more novels. She is a great character with a very dark past who is living her best life but also dealing with that dark past in very dark ways. Condonable ways? I'm not so sure. But, entertaining ways? Definitely! I found this book to be a very compelling read and really couldn't get through it fast enough to satisfy me.

But, let's talk about that last star I'm lea
Paige
Apr 04, 2019 rated it it was ok
This book is, more or less, an illogical mess. The character is like some sort of amazingly talented spy/Sherlock/ninja who never gets caught or hurt somehow. There are like two weird, nonsensical plots throughout the entire book and then a dumb romantic one that is utterly unnecessary.

The main character, Nikki, is cocky as hell and she is somehow never caught or punished for anything. She is omniscient and omnipresent somehow. Oh, and she’s BANGING hot. That’s made clear in every other chapter.
Laura Rash
Jan 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Well Nikki might be my favorite new badass! Quite the well rounded woman between her love for books, people, her brother and struggling women! This is going to be an excellent series that will have women cheering Nikki on!
Beatrix
We don't talk about it. But things we don't talk about still happen.

I loved this. Great cast of colorful characters, intricate plot with sub-plots that held my attention, great story. Feminist af.
In a way it reminded me a little bit of the Mindf*ck Series - kickass female character on the road to revenge.

He deserved to die. Which left only one question. Who did I want to be?
I made a decision. Pushed the doubt away.
I pulled the trigger.
Denise Mullins
Jun 29, 2019 rated it did not like it
If you crave mundane plot development lacking sophistication that reads like it’s been hatched by a 13-year-old boy composing his first sexy female fantasy piece, I’ve got a recommendation for you. Sure, I was beguiled by the clever title, but quickly realized that this book was not worth the effort spent skimming through it. I only stuck with it to verify this belief (which mercifully lasted a few hours).
With a protagonist in high black boots, tight jeans, long auburn hair, green eyes, and expe
Janet Newport
Nov 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Thank you NetGalley and Flatiron Books for this arc.

Please buckle your seat belts and make sure your tray tables are in their upright position... "Cause this is one wild ride! Other reviewers have compared Nikki Griffin to Jack Reacher and/or Lisbeth Salander. She is also described as kickass. My interest was piqued. Hyperbolic over-hype? I had to read it to find out. I was not disappointed.

Nikki is a great character, unreal sense of personal responsibility and incapable of quitting while she's
Howell
Oct 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
What a cool book! I received an advance reading copy from the publisher. The back cover likens the protagonist to Jessica Jones and Lisbeth Salander, and it's a fair comparison. What I loved, though, is that this book was not quite as dark as either of those stories. It's got some heavy content, but enough levity to keep it moving, and it moves at a pretty good clip--I never wanted to stop! Would have read it all in one sitting if my schedule had allowed it.
One thing that made this book stand
Liz
Jul 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Nikki Griffin is one tough chick. A Berkeley grad and a local book store owner...she is not what you’d expect. She moonlights as a do-good vigilante, and a private investigator just outside San Francisco, California. Her work definitely speaks for itself...and her next job is unlike any of the others...An unknown tech company reaches out to her to do a little recon work. In true Nikki fashion she dives in with everything she has. But, this time she may be a little too good at her job. This was a ...more
Maureen DeLuca
Aug 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A solid 4 star read - but I added another star for the main character is a female who can kick some ass - AND she is smart too. So looking forward to reading number 2 - and I can only hope that the series lasts even longer!
Anne
Dec 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wildest ride ever! Female PI Nikki Griffin is a hardboiled, kick-ass, take-no-prisoners woman who has been compared to Jack Reacher and Lisbeth Salander. From the first page, we see her lure in an unsuspecting abuser whom she then teaches a valuable lesson after putting him in the emergency room. I knew I was going to love this novel when I realized she was a vengeance with which to be reckoned. Fortunately, she has a heart as well, and as the book progresses we see the trauma in her childhood t ...more
Joy
Mar 23, 2019 rated it it was ok
1.5 stars. Great idea, but the writing is weak and ultimately — this is a man writing a woman, and you can tell. Parts are silly and ridiculous, and the writing can’t save it.
This is literally how the main character thinks, starting on p1: “The bartender was a big, paunchy guy, better side of fifty, graying hair. He eyed me without bothering to hide it. So did the rest of the bar. So what.” On p2, she’s thinking that she “could feel the whole bar staring at my a** in the tight jeans.”
Well, in
Tracy
Feb 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thank you so much for the ARC Copy of 'Save Me From Dangerous Men'. Nikki is a tough, smart, beautiful and resourceful bookstore owner, and delves out justice for abused women as a side job. She gets mixed up in something much bigger than she has faced in the past and what follows is a high-intensity mystery filled with thrills and intrigue.
I’m in for this series, and cannot wait for book #2.

Highly recommend.
Sarah Swann
Aug 14, 2019 rated it it was ok
I didn’t really enjoy this one. I thought it would be more of the main character helping protect women, but it morphed into something else. I also didn’t really like the main character at all. She was smart but she made awful decisions and was a huge enabler for her drug addicted brother. It was hard to keep all the characters straight. Overall I just wasn’t a big fan of this one.
Trisha
Apr 30, 2019 rated it it was ok
"I know you would," he said. "But that's not me. You know that. I'm on my train, you're on yours. And I'm really happy that I get to rattle along and look out the window see you. But we're on different tracks. We can't change that."

I wanted to love this one. It starts out with Nikki entering a bar, schooling fools out of their money and pool and then tricking a dangerous man into inviting her home. He's her mark and she's there with a purpose. I really wanted to like Nikki.

But with her first mee
Bookish First Rea...: Save Me from Dangerous Men by S.A. Lelchuk 1 8 Oct 22, 2019 01:05PM
Madison Mega-Mara...: #27 Save Me from Dangerous Men 1 7 Apr 06, 2019 02:21PM

• By Way of Sorrow (Erin McCabe Legal Thriller #1)
  • Dead of Winter (August Snow #3)
  • Red Widow
  • Bluff
  • You Don't Know Me
  • We Were Killers Once (Brigid Quinn, #4)
  • Suburban Dicks
  • The Substitution Order
  • Sins of the Fathers (J.P. Beaumont #24)
  • The Prodigal Daughter (Linda Wallheim Mystery, #5)
  • The Woman Inside
  • Judgment
  • Temper
  • Conviction
  • Find You First
  • Old Bones (Nora Kelly #1)
  • Huis te koop
See top shelves…
S.A. Lelchuk's debut, SAVE ME FROM DANGEROUS MEN, was published in 2019 and is the first book in a series featuring bookseller and private investigator Nikki Griffin. The sequel, ONE GOT AWAY, released in spring 2021. He grew up in New Hampshire and splits his time between Oakland, CA and NH, where he teaches creative writing at Dartmouth College.

Nikki Griffin (2 books)
  • One Got Away (Nikki Griffin, #2)

Articles featuring this book

A new year means new thrills and chills for mystery and thriller lovers. And in 2019 there are plenty of exciting new releases to keep...