Start by marking “Journey Through Trauma: A Trail Guide to the 5-Phase Cycle of Healing Repeated Trauma” as Want to Read:

For survivors of PTSD and repeated, relational trauma -- and the people who love them.

Gretchen Schmelzer watched too many people quit during treatment for trauma recovery. They found it too difficult or too frightening or just decided that for them it was too late. But as a therapist and trauma survivor herself, Dr. Schmelzer wants us to know that it is never too late to
Published February 6th 2018 by Avery Publishing Group

To ask other readers questions about Journey Through Trauma, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Journey Through Trauma

Start your review of Journey Through Trauma: A Trail Guide to the 5-Phase Cycle of Healing Repeated Trauma
Michael
Mar 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is not a self-help or a how-to book. Instead, it is a companion volume that Dr. Schmelzer means you to consult as you heal from repetitive trauma with the assistance of a therapist (or group, friend, or what have you). She is very clear that healing trauma is not a journey you should take on your own. This book describes and explains what you are likely to encounter in each phase of your healing. However, the 5 phases as she describes them rarely happen in a linear fashion - some parts of ...more
Karen
Mar 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
By far the best book I’ve read on trauma recovery. It’s not a self help book and the author clearly states so. I love her rowing and hiking metaphors. I also love her descriptions and the clarity in her writing. It’s a rare thing to find a guidebook for healing journey written with such skill by someone who has been, and still is, on the same journey. For anyone interested in the subject of trauma healing and/or the hero journey, this is a must read... probably a must own!
Lauren Mary
May 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Amazing! It is helping me understand that I have been travelling far on my healing journey. Particularly when I was frustrated and felt like I was going nowhere. It has generated so much insight and compassion within myself. This truly is the only document that I have found that captures this troubling journey and doesn't pathologise it but humanises it above theory and symptomatologies. It is a spiritual guidebook of strength and revelation!
Andie
Jul 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I have had a difficult time finding reads that help me make sense of healing from trauma in tangible, realistic frames. This one did it, effectively, thoroughly, and thoughtfully. Thank you, Gretchen Schmelzer, for being willing to name what is often unnamable.
Jennifer Henry
Nov 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The most practical book I've ever read on the subject. This is the book I'll keep returning to. Gretchen Schmelzer explains what she believes the cycle of healing from trauma is and it makes so much sense! This is not a self-help book, but it is a book that is designed to easily return to at any point in your recovery cycle. For years I kept trying to heal from Point A to Point B and I kept feeling like a failure every time I'd find myself back at the same place again and again. The author ...more
Heather Herron
Jul 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Really important for those in the helping fields and those embarking on their own journeys of healing.
zeroizme
Jan 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I received an advanced uncorrected proof of this book via a Goodreads giveaway. Thank you for the opportunity to read and review!

This text is positively Outstanding. It reads as a mental health professional may talk, explaining the metrics of repeated trauma in an unpretentious, calming and supportive way that looks at issues from a number of different perspectives to encompass the many aspects and triggers that could be playing part in a patient's/readers experiences and recovery. Readers who
Barbara Mulhall
Mar 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Simply Wonderful

One of the best books I have ever read on the phases and recovery from trauma. I found the book really easy to read and it will be of help to those who have encountered trauma and those they seek to allow to guide, support and mentor on their healing journey.
Gena
Jul 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
As stated by previous reviewers, this isn't a self-help book, but an adjunct to those who're working with a therapist or group. Still, it's an enormously useful resource for anyone trying to process trauma. Dr. Schmelzer is compassionate and pragmatic without verging on sugary or authoritarian. I found the book both emotionally reassuring and practically helpful.
Marianne
Jun 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
One of the most insightful and kind books I have ever read. Wish it had existed at the beginning of my healing journey. (Had to figure out so much of this stuff myself against prevailing wisdom that told me to do things differently!) Still got a lot out of it and look forward to rereading parts, and sharing it with others.
Rachel
Mar 19, 2019 rated it did not like it
I found the frequent references to mental trauma as being like a physical limp that needs to be addressed as incredibly ableist as someone with a permanent limp. I was being incredibly tolerant, but hearing it a dozen times or so was just cringeworthy.
Hopemarkova
May 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The best book I have read regarding personal growth and understanding of one self mind and reactions. I highly recommend this book to anyone who aspires to deepen their relationship with self and with others.
Khuey40
May 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love her metaphors!
Dreaday
Dec 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really, really liked it and passed the ARC to a psychologist I know. She was really excited. Thank you, Dr. Schmelzer, for writing this.
Rachel
Nov 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
The book is a bit long-winded and I grew tired of the authors commitment to mountain climbing analogies. Aside from that, this book does a great job describing the complexities of the recovery process following childhood trauma. Definitely worth the read for new therapists and anyone considering their own journey through this process.
Katie
Zaynab Shahar
Aug 22, 2019
« previous 1 3 next »

• Complex PTSD: From Surviving to Thriving
  • Healing the Fragmented Selves of Trauma Survivors: Overcoming Internal Self-Alienation
  • The Deepest Well: Healing the Long-Term Effects of Childhood Adversity
  • It's Not Always Depression: Working the Change Triangle to Listen to the Body, Discover Core Emotions, and Connect to Your Authentic Self
  • Healing Trauma: Restoring the Wisdom of Your Body
  • Nurturing Resilience: Helping Clients Move Forward from Developmental Trauma-An Integrative Somatic Approach
  • Treating Self-Destructive Behaviors in Trauma Survivors: A Clinician's Guide
  • It Didn't Start with You: How Inherited Family Trauma Shapes Who We Are and How to End the Cycle
  • Running on Empty: Overcome Your Childhood Emotional Neglect
  • Trauma and the Avoidant Client: Attachment-Based Strategies for Healing
  • Toxic Parents: Overcoming Their Hurtful Legacy and Reclaiming Your Life
  • The Unspeakable Mind: Stories of Trauma and Healing from the Frontlines of PTSD Science
  • Abbott
  • Blind Your Ponies
  • Trauma and Recovery: The Aftermath of Violence - From Domestic Abuse to Political Terror
  • Trauma Stewardship: An Everyday Guide to Caring for Self While Caring for Others
  • Getting Past Your Past: Take Control of Your Life with Self-Help Techniques from EMDR Therapy
  • Smacked: A Story of White-Collar Ambition, Addiction, and Tragedy