Start by marking “Gaudi: The Life of a Visionary” as Want to Read:
Gaudi: The Life of a Visionary

Gaudi: The Life of a Visionary

Published 1999 by Edicions de 1984

To ask other readers questions about Gaudi, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gaudi

Start your review of Gaudi: The Life of a Visionary
Nico Genes
Jan 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
Gaudí's work was influenced by his passions in life: architecture, nature, and religion.

Gaudí's work enjoys global popularity and continuing admiration and study by architects. His masterpiece, the still-incomplete Sagrada Família, is the most-visited monument in Spain. Barcelona would never be what it is without Gaudi.

Visiting Barcelona and the beautiful creations of Gaudi, I came across this book in a gift shop in Parc Guell. The more I walked around the streets of the Catalonian capital, the
Tim
Jan 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: art, biography
I picked up this little biography of the great Catalan architect/artist at a gift shop in Barcelona’s Parc Guell. The book delivered exactly what I hoped that it would: a short, concise discussion of his life and art, done in an intelligent manner, and with a sufficient number of illustrations. Gaudi has always been an artistic hero of mine. The concrete manifestations of his brilliant imagination turned out to be as wonderful to behold in real life as they were when I first saw them in photos. ...more
Mady
May 11, 2010 rated it did not like it
The life of Gaudí in Catalunia. I'm fascinated by Gaudí's art, but this book was actually quite boring!
Ad Samad
Feb 02, 2014 rated it it was ok
A light reading—an introduction to the life of Antoni Gaudi.
Leanne
Apr 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Found this book in the gift store at La Sagrada Familia and just lived it! Short but very sweet. The subtitle, “Life of a Visionary” sums up the basic approach of the book. Who was this man who created such a unique architectural vision? “For Gaudi, the theory of architecture was inseparable from the analysis of the laws of nature and of religious symbolism.” Indeed. Greet noon!
Oana-Maria Uliu
Sep 08, 2019 rated it it was ok
Informative on one hand, not so much on the other. The author implies that certain details are important, but doesn't explain how or why. I'm not sure if one of the photos in the book really represents Gaudi, because the shape of his nose is different.
Sharayu Gangurde
Nov 27, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: art-architecture
A short read, somehow the book lags on why Antoni Gaudi was called a Visionary! Seven of his works are declared as World Heritage sites by UNESCO. There's rarely any mention of his design philosophy or ideology or inspiration in the book. I was ecstatic to read something about the master of Organic architecture and sculpture, but it has none! The book celebrates more details of his contacts with the powerful in the society and less of his involvement with the art! It could have been so much ...more
Sile Li
Jul 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: biography, art
Just quote here from Gaudi: "The fact that they have not been applied before and that I am the first to do so has made me think a lot. This would be the only thing that, in any case, would make me hesitate. Nevertheless, I believe that, convinced as I am of the perfection they represent, it is my duty to apply them." <3
Timothy Widman
Jul 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
While generally a gloss on Antoni Gaudi's life, this book does a wonderful job bringing him to life. It is full of first hand accounts, testimonies and anecdotes, which poignantly portray the struggles, triumphs and faith of an ingenious architect.
Kejda
Oct 05, 2018
Marina
Jul 09, 2015
Martaelag
rated it did not like it
Aug 08, 2014
Apr 28, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Starless Sea
  • Inside Out
  • Academic Curveball (Braxton Campus Mysteries #1)
  • The Painted Queen (Amelia Peabody, #20)
  • The Egyptian Antiquities Murder (High Society Lady Detective Book 3)
  • The Last Word
  • Agatha Raisin and the Terrible Tourist (Agatha Raisin, #6)
  • The Discovery of the Tomb of Tutankhamen
  • Last Victim of the Monsoon Express (Baby Ganesh Agency Investigation #4.5)
  • Calling Mr. King
  • London Calling (London Romance, Book 1)
  • The Peacock Emporium
  • Death Beside the Seaside (Lady Hardcastle,#6)
  • Killing Dylan