Start by marking “Merle (Jacques Forêt, #2)” as Want to Read:
Merle (Jacques Forêt, #2)

Merle

( Jacques Forêt )

Jacques Foret, a former gendarme turned investigator, delves into the murky world of commercial sabotage - a place where people lie and misrepresent, and where information is traded and used as a threat.

The Vaux organisation is losing contracts and money, and Jacques is asked to undertake an internal investigation. As he works through the complexity of all the evidence, he
Published May 20th 2017 by Createspace Independent Publishing Platform

To ask other readers questions about Merle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Merle

Pia
Sep 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Another amazing book by author Angela Wren.

Second in the Jacques Forêt series, it's as good as the first and worth the almost two year wait.

Forêt is now working as an investigator in a company full of problems. Owned by two brothers, they've been hacked, are losing clients and can't see eye to eye how to solve them.

When one of the workers in the company is murdered, the case goes from a simple commercial problem to one much more darker. Even though Forêt is no longer a gendarme, he takes an acti
Nancy
Sep 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoyed reading Merle, Book 2 of the Jacques Foret series. Messandrierre (Book 1) introduced the main characters of Jacques Foret and Beth but it also introduced many of the secondary characters who appear again in Book 2. For that reason I was very glad to have already read Book 1.
The French setting is well described and the characters are neatly drawn, making it so easy to love Jacques. Beth grew on me a lot more in Book 2 than Book 1!
It’s interesting to read how Jacques has bra
Roland Clarke
Jan 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
[Longer review follow.]

Jacques Foret is no longer a policeman and as a private investigator, he is drawn into a different crime this time. There is still a body at the opening, but the feel of the case and the story is different.

However, familiar characters and settings return from the village setting of Messandrierre - Book 1 - including the unresolved case of a missing person. The blend of the familiar and the new - Mende is the main setting for the corporate investigation - creates two plotli
Elizabeth Lloyd
Sep 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After reading Messandrierre earlier in the year I was looking forward to the next Jacques Forêt mystery set in rural France. Jacques is a considerate likeable detective who has now left the police force and is a private investigator working for Alain Vaux of Vaux Investments. Initially his task was to find the source of industrial espionage which is causing Alain’s company to loss contracts and money, but as we learn at the beginning of the book, there is now a link to murder.
On the personal fro
Viki Meadows
Aug 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thoroughly enjoyable read (no spoilers)

This is the second of the series and I enjoyed it more. I really like the characters especially the two main ones, and the hero solves the case with serious leg work, using his brain rather than just lucky breaks or villain stupidity. I'd like a bit more emotionalism from the main characters occasionally but that's a personal preference. I love the detail and the life of France which is conveyed without masses of exposition. A thoroughly enjoyable crime sto
Alyssa
This one started out slow for me. It's not often I say that about mystery novels, but it did. I'm not sure why; perhaps my mind wasn't in quite the right set. And it had been so long since I'd read the previous novel, Messandrierre. But, it did pick up, and by halfway I was intrigued. Who was behind the sabotage? There are so many possibilities, so many people with motive and desire. As with the first book, I did not entirely expect the result (though one or two characters tweaked my interest th ...more
Amy
Aug 17, 2017 added it
Merle is the second book from Angela Wren's series, Jacques Forêt. I have not read the first book in the series but did not feel lost or as if I was missing anything. I do hope to one day go back to read it soon.
I found Merle to be a good read. I love the beautiful French setting. Jacques Forêt is a fun investigator and a likable character. He finds himself in a story that is full of mystery and suspense. I never knew what was going to happen next with him. There were so many twists and turns.
Jacqueline
Sep 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: france
This is the second book in Angela Wren’s Jacques Forêt mystery series and I have to admit to developing quite a soft spot for him in book one, so was looking forward to returning.

In this book, work takes Jacques away from village life in Messandrierre and into the dark world of corporate espionage and yet again Angela Wren makes her readers think. There is a lot going on, both at work and in the village, with many characters and sub plots to raise my suspicions and for Jacques to keep track of.
Emma
VERDICT: Suspenseful and intriguing events in a picturesque corner of France.

my full review is here:
Will T
Oct 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crime
Another great read set against the glorious backdrop of the French countryside. Our hero may no longer be a policeman but that doesn't stop him getting involved in a murder case connected to the investigation into financial shenanigans at the company for which he now works. The danger intensifies when things start to get personal.
A fascinating collection of characters kept me riveted to this book as the story rattled on to its finale.
Diane
Feb 06, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun French mystery stories!
Kay Spelman
Beth Rider
Aug 17, 2017
Janet Buchanan
Jan 16, 2019
I’m an actor and director at a small theatre a few miles from where I live in the county of Yorkshire in the UK. I did work as a project and business change manager – very pressured and very demanding – but I managed to escape and now I write books.

I’ve always loved stories and story telling so it seemed a natural progression, to me, to try my hand at writing and I started with short stories. My f

Jacques Forêt (2 books)
  • Messandrierre  (Jacques Forêt, #1)